Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2019, 06:08 PM   #1

Flat tires

I have a 2016 31BKIS, 36long and 8000lbs. I have had 7 flat tires and can’t figure out why, my wife and I have only used it 10 times since we bought it new. I think my tires are hitting the bottom of the compet some how. It peels the rubber off of the tire. We have so many flats we are scared to travel any distance from home.
Anyone else having this issue
Carl moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl moore View Post
I have a 2016 31BKIS, 36long and 8000lbs. I have had 7 flat tires and can’t figure out why, my wife and I have only used it 10 times since we bought it new. I think my tires are hitting the bottom of the compet some how. It peels the rubber off of the tire. We have so many flats we are scared to travel any distance from home.
Anyone else having this issue
if the tires are hitting the inside of the wheel well you should be able to see if they are rubbing somewhere . now what type tire [brand]. load rating . Trailer weight . what do the old tires look like wore down or just tread blown off . pictures help
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:06 PM   #3

7 flats in 10 trips is a lot. Also, hitting the bottom a "camper" doesn't as a rule peel the tread off. That is caused by the tire "layers" separating and that can have several causes.

Some are:

Poor tire quality

Improper inflation

Tires loaded beyond the limits molded into the sidewall

Highway speed too high

Hitting curbs when entering places like gas stations, parking lots, especially at any speed above a slow walk.

Loosing the tread can also happen if you have a leak at the valve stem or have picked up a nail. As the tire loses pressure it gets hotter and hotter often ending up in either total tire destruction or losing the tread.

Some will be quick to blame it on Chinese tires which could be the case but 7 tires in 10 trips leads me to believe there might be other factors.

Get a good scale weight for the camper and then make sure you have the proper tire size/weight rating, etc. That's where I'd start.

Keep in mind the things on the list I made as you go about your travels.

BTW, if you or one of your neighbors has had a new roof put on a house, there's the possibility there are numerous nails and staples on the roads and driveways in your neighborhood. I had a roof put on 3 years ago and I'm still finding roofing staples even though the crew was supposed to use a magnetic rake to pick them all up. They get peeled up with the old roofing and then dribble out of the trucks and trailers that are used to haul the old roof away.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:52 PM   #4

I got a question. Are the flats always on the curb/right side?

Yes. Stay off the shoulder. My mother drove there....dad rode the line....they didn’t see eye to eye on that.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 05:45 AM   #5
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I got a question. Are the flats always on the curb/right side?

Yes. Stay off the shoulder. My mother drove there....dad rode the line....they didn’t see eye to eye on that.

Along this line...the new "road ribbles" as I cause them (the holes along the shoulder to wake you up if you drift off the road) are HORRIBLE at collecting nails, screws, etc.

Just before our turnoff to our road there is a series of these and twice I accidentally got over in those before making the turn and twice I had flats on our car (not our tow vehicle or RV).

Since then I do everything in my power to avoid those things. Many roads also have these indentions on the left-hand side along the stripe - probably just as dangerous.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires