Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2019, 12:54 PM   #1

Florida State Park Question

Hello!

My wife are planning on taking our trailer down to Florida in mid-May and we were wondering anyone has experience camping at Blue Springs state park(near Sanborn) or Wekiva Stae Park.
Your comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks

Brian and Jaye
funfyzics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:06 PM   #2

Blue Springs State Park is located in Volusia county, just west of Orange City. Sanborn ?? There is a city of Sanford about 30 minutes away. We are talking about the same State Park ?
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 03:26 PM   #3

OP

That is the correct Blue springs state park
funfyzics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 03:51 PM   #4

Never been to Blue Springs due to length limitations. I have been to Wekiva Springs several times. It is a nice park with 60 sites on 2 loops. Sites 1 -30 have full hookups with sewer. There are numerous trails and the river for kayaking or canoeing. There is also another park not too far away (Rock Springs) that is a nice place to go also.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 03:59 PM   #5

Owned our camper 6 yrs and we camp every month somewhere in FL ... Blue Springs has made our repeat list & we will be there in July for the second time. Great snorkeling down the spring, fun fishing out in the river (mind you, I said fishing, not catching) & a bit of history thrown in. First pic was our site last time

We also went to Wekiwa Springs & enjoyed it (just every direction is downhill after you leave the campground so uphill to get home!). Second pic was our site there. We visited a few breweries (our other hobby) while camped here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3399_edited-1.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	445.2 KB
ID:	202929   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03824_edited-1.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	400.5 KB
ID:	202930  

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 04:53 PM   #6

Both parks are nice and you will enjoy both !

Blue Springs camping area is very close to railroad tracks, so be prepared for late night train whistles...LOL. As stated above, the swimming & snorkeling is very good. The bath houses are newer and have washer / dryers. The park is located next to a very nice fitness trail ( walking / running / cycling ) that goes about three miles North, and five miles South and is mostly shaded.

Wekiwas camping area is a good ways away from the springs, and you probably will need to drive there. Canoe rentals are fun, and you can paddle down to Wekiva Island for a drink and lunch. Bikes are good at the CG but there are many hills !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Without Whine View Post
Owned our camper 6 yrs and we camp every month somewhere in FL ... Blue Springs has made our repeat list & we will be there in July for the second time. Great snorkeling down the spring, fun fishing out in the river (mind you, I said fishing, not catching) & a bit of history thrown in. First pic was our site last time

We also went to Wekiwa Springs & enjoyed it (just every direction is downhill after you leave the campground so uphill to get home!). Second pic was our site there. We visited a few breweries (our other hobby) while camped here.
What could be better than pic #2? Nice-looking folks camping with dogs and a couple of beers... perfect.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:25 PM   #8

Both parks are nice. In my opium neither campground is near the springs.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 01:20 PM   #9

Fl State Parks

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfyzics View Post
Hello!

My wife are planning on taking our trailer down to Florida in mid-May and we were wondering anyone has experience camping at Blue Springs state park(near Sanborn) or Wekiva Stae Park.
Thanks

Brian and Jaye
My wife and I stayed at Fred Gannon State Park in Niceville Fl from 4/10/19 to 4/15/19. Very nice park with lots of nature. Lots of amenities to chose from for all age.
creekmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 02:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Without Whine View Post

Got a question for you about your dogs. Do you ever worry about the dogs tied up and a gator eating them? I am serious, we don't have any problems around Missouri like that and I would like to know for future reference. Thanks.
shadows4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 03:07 PM   #11

Blue Springs

The town you refer to is "Sanford" ... We live on the east side of Orlando and visit BSSP with our boat via the St. Johns often during the cooler months. Be aware that this park is VERY popular, especially during the warm season...if you think you'll have the spring to yourself, you're going to be really disappointed...we're talking LOTS of people and screaming children, here. Also, by mid May, the manatees will have returned to the river, so viewing them will be limited. The park itself is pretty, if small ... think about taking a day trip over to Sanford, board the paddle wheeled river boat at the city municipal marina and take a lunch included, sight seeing cruise across Lake Monroe and up the river for a few hours... very scenic ... you'll enjoy it. Just up the river from BSSP is Hontoon Island, a very nice park with lots of trails to explore ...accessible via a short (free) ferry ride from the other side of the river. I-4 through Orlando is undergoing massive reconstruction, so if the "attractions" are on the agenda...be aware and prepared for congestion.
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 03:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfyzics View Post
Hello!

Thanks

Brian and Jaye

I am sitting at Wekiwa State Park right now. As others have stated, both parks are great. We have been to both but like the actual springs better at Wekiwa. Book soon if you want a spot. They usually fill up quickly. Good luck.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:14 PM   #13

Blue Springs

The town you refer to is "Sanford" ... We live on the east side of Orlando and visit BSSP with our boat via the St. Johns often during the cooler months. Be aware that this park is VERY popular, especially during the warm season...if you think you'll have the spring to yourself, you're going to be really disappointed...we're talking LOTS of people and screaming children, here. Also, by mid May, the manatees will have returned to the river, so viewing them will be limited. The park itself is pretty, if small ... think about taking a day trip over to Sanford, board the paddle wheeled river boat at the city municipal marina and take a lunch included, sight seeing cruise across Lake Monroe and up the river for a few hours... very scenic ... you'll enjoy it. Just up the river from BSSP is Hontoon Island, a very nice park with lots of trails to explore ...accessible via a short (free) ferry ride from the other side of the river. I-4 through Orlando is undergoing massive reconstruction, so if the "attractions" are on the agenda...be aware and prepared for congestion.
Wekiva is another VERY popular park ... lots of people, but much larger than BSSP. Take a kayak or canoe down the Wekiva River or the Rock Springs run.
Lots of wildlife, including gators...
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 03:52 PM   #14

I've lived in Florida for over 40 years with GSDs. NEVER have left dogs unattended near water. ALWAYS watch for gators even while hiking near fresh water. At UF, they warned us students to keep our dogs away from Lake Alice during mating season. When you check in to a campground in the Everglades, they warn you to shine a flashlight all over from your doorway before taking the dogs out at night.
Katja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 12:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows4 View Post
Got a question for you about your dogs. Do you ever worry about the dogs tied up and a gator eating them? I am serious, we don't have any problems around Missouri like that and I would like to know for future reference. Thanks.

We are usually at our site when the dogs are tied out (unless we are at the music festival grounds we go to ... gators are there but not by the sites & we do know of one person losing their hound dog in the lake when it took off). The State parks we stay at usually have the sites posted with warnings if we need to be concerned. Most CG do not want gator tales to be told so they are pretty vigilant & would let you know ... I would not sit out there myself in those cases !!!!

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:28 PM   #16

Good info Thanks
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida