Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2010, 11:08 AM   #1

Flying J Truck Stops: Free-Dumping Policy - GET INVOLVED!

This was posted on another RV forum and I think that everyone here should respond as well.
Thank you.

Flying J Dump Stations - Change in Policy
05/06/2010

"We have heard from some traveling Escapees that a few Flying J truck stops with RV dump stations are beginning to charge a use fee. We contacted Flying J and received the following statement from their customer loyalty department:

To continue providing waste dump station services at Flying J, we are instituting a $10 fee to customers using this service. This has become necessary to cover the increasing costs of offering this amenity. These additional fees include:

• Escalating expenses associated with normal usage and the misuse and abuse of waste dump stations
• Rising costs from local sewer treatment service providers
• Increasing expenditures linked to stringent corporate responsibilities

For our best customers, those that are members of Flying J’s Frequent Fueler and RV Real Value clubs, a $5.00 dump station coupon will be added to their card based on fuel purchases. The club member must present their card to cashier at point of purchase to receive the discount.

We appreciate your business and look forward to continuing to offer the best services and facilities in the industry.

Flying J also stated that the program is being implemented at all Flying J locations in the next week. Some will be monitored by a device that will allow you to pay at the dump, others will require the customer to come inside to pay for the service. Be aware that you will soon be required to pay a fee to use the RV dump at Flying J."

Dear Good Sam Club members and and fellow RVers:

Millions of us RVers have made millions of purchases and brought billions of dollars to Flying J over the years. Flying J, in return, has thanked us for our patronage by providing free dumping services.

However, this new corporate arrangement has taken away the thanks, replacing it with fees.

I urge you to send Flying J management a "nasty-gram" in response to this decision via the "contact us" form on their website. Tell them you will no longer patronize them, and be sure to inform them that you will be spending your money on fuel, food, and parts and accessories at their competitors' businiesses! In addtion, send a hard copy of this message to their corporate HQ, addressed to their CEO. I'm sure they'll start to hear the rumble of angry RVs when their mail and e-mail in-boxes start to get flooded with these messages.

I also urge the Adminsitration of Good Sam Club to lead the way in providing us a unified voice in this cause. Make them pay-through-the-nose for any advertising they may have here, due to increased operating costs... Whatever it takes to send them a clear message that we will no longer promote or patronize them until they recind this fee and return to providing the free dump service provided to us for so many years. If they want to make more money, provide better services and the volume of paying customers will be their reward.

If you belong to other RV web groups, please voice this message there as well and recruit the support of those groups and their administration.

There is strength in numbers and...

When Good Sam speaks, people listen!

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
Cyber Phrenologist

OK, I understand their point. But $10? That stings! How about $10 with no fuel purchase and something like $2 if you fuel. No cards or coupons or any of that. I can't get the 5th wheel in and out of a Flying J without dropping $80 or better on fuel and food.

I have also noted many interstate rest stop dump facilities are no longer provided.

Perhaps there are those who are such "Sewer Slobs" that they are spoiling it for all?

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
OK, I understand their point. But $10? That stings! How about $10 with no fuel purchase and something like $2 if you fuel. No cards or coupons or any of that. I can't get the 5th wheel in and out of a Flying J without dropping $80 or better on fuel and food.

I have also noted many interstate rest stop dump facilities are no longer provided.

Perhaps there are those who are such "Sewer Slobs" that they are spoiling it for all?
I agree 100%!!!

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:02 PM   #4
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post

Radio, I agree with you. The places to dump are disappearing due to the costs associated with disposal for the providers of this service. Yeah $10 is a bit steep but if that ticks anyone off then don't go there, but the chances of finding another place providing this service is becoming harder to locate. I feel the same as you if you're purchasing fuel and food there should be a reduced fee. As you stated it only takes a few to screw it up for everyone. If you look now quite a few, just about all, charge for using the air pump. It cost money to run that compressor just the same as it costs them to have their tanks pumped out and the contents hauled to the treatment plant.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:13 PM   #5

Most all of the interstate rest areas here in Washington still provide free dump stations. Many also provide free potable water. I guess they should for the amount of taxes I pay in this state. The state claims the services are totally paid for by fees paid by RVrs although I don't know what those fees are unless they are built into my license tabs.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #6

I can understand their frustrations. Here in Florida, I have seen many acts of pure vandalism- especially the gas stations providing free air; I have seen people cut off the air hose, or remove the screw-in air chuck, or even run over the whole thing! It costs the station money to keep repairing the service- and also I recently had my septic tank pumped out, and that cost has almost tripled in 5 or 6 years! (at least here). I really don't mind paying a small fee to dump. A campground about 3 miles from my house lets RV's not camping there dump for 5.00. Not bad at all, in my opinion. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:10 AM   #7

Lucky me, there is a trailer sewer dump provided by the city about a mile from my house, simple to stop in and dump on the trip home, no charge, no limits, room for two trailers to dump at the same time.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:31 AM   #8
Cunning Linguist

Ouch ....

Other than our 1 fluff-trip per year to troubleshoot/repair everything, most of our trips are boondock or at a spartan site with no hook-ups.....so every trip ends with a stop at the Flying-J on the way home, to get the bad stuff out

Besides the financial affect (I'm certainly not buying fuel & propane somewhere that charges me to dump), there's also the opportunity cost for other business (who's wife/kids don't grab $20.00 worth of junk everything we are in a Flying-J ...LOL).

Gas + propane + munchies > $10.00 sewer dump ...... figured they could do the math. Hopefully this will be something they are just "floating" out there to see if it sticks & will recind if enough people scream about it.
Acara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #9

This may be due to the "fallout" effects of new management, Flying J chain was bought out by Pilot about a year ago
Old 05-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrotor View Post
This may be due to the "fallout" effects of new management, Flying J chain was bought out by Pilot about a year ago
"Bought" is a generous term. Flying J went bankrupt...

I wouldn't waste my time trying to get a bankrupt company run by fools to give away free stuff. Pilot did a deal to pick up the pieces that were good for them. The Flying J headquarters became a Pilot regional office.

Flying J's bankruptcy a tale of rapid growth without corresponding profit - Salt Lake Tribune
TulsaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaSteve View Post
"Bought" is a generous term. Flying J went bankrupt...
Ok... I guess I only got part of the story... I really didn't think much further because they have kept the Flying J name on all the truck stops around here and the headquarters building in Ogden still carries the Flying J name too.