Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2021, 01:02 PM   #1

FlyingJ and Loves

Anyone know is the truck pumps at Flying J and Loves truck stops will except Discover Card?
Medically Retired Marine Semper fi
Brucecav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 02:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucec View Post
Anyone know is the truck pumps at Flying J and Loves truck stops will except Discover Card?
I think you will have to go inside.
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
1970 Yellowstone Used as down payment for first house
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 02:21 PM   #3

A discount card for Flying J and Pilot can be had through Good Sam to pay at the pump and get a discount.

TSD logistics offers a discount card for RV'ers that works at Loves and many other places...which also works at the pump.

I have both and they work great to get diesel and DEF with trailer attached.
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 02:41 PM   #4

If your phone has a wallet to enter CC information (requires verification at time of sale, like fingerprint or FaceID) you can tap to pay. In fact, you can tap several credit cards too.

Here is a post from Love's from 11/2020; "Here are the options customers can now use at Love’s:

Apply Pay, Samsung Pay and Google Pay.
Tap-and-go credit cards, such as Visa, Mastercard, American Express and Discover.
New smart terminals, combined with Love’s credit processing software, to cut checkout time in half."

Pilot/Flying J:
"Pilot/Flying J
Credit cards accepted:
Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express"

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
TSD logistics offers a discount card for RV'ers that works at Loves and many other places...which also works at the pump.
TSD fuel card is great!

Last year we saved $88 over 162 gallons on a camping trip.
asr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:39 AM   #6

Yes, you will need to go inside to start the pump and then you will need to go in and pay. I have been doing this since we started to pull a 5er back in 2008.

For some truck stop stations, if you have their credit card or loyalty cards you might be able to pay at the pumps now. But I use a credit card that pays me back when using so, I do not use a credit card that will not refund a percentage of what I charge. With no fees/interest the charge card company is paying me to use their credit card.

I have been followed the trucker etiquette when fueling. After you fuel-up pull forward to allow another truck behind you to start fueling. You will then need to go inside and pay for your fuel. If you need to buy something or use the rest rooms park your rig in a parking spot and walk back in. Don't leave your truck and trailer blocking the fueling pumps.
Old 12-03-2021, 10:59 AM   #7
Who Dares, Wins

Another fan of the TSD card. Have had it for the last year and it is great. Works as a fleet card on the truck lanes to activate and pay at pump. I find the TA's and Love's have better prices with the card over the J's and my .10$ GS card. One more reason I love my diesel, truck lanes.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 08:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
Yes, you will need to go inside to start the pump and then you will need to go in and pay. I have been doing this since we started to pull a 5er back in 2008.
At major truck stops when paying with a credit card you only need to go inside once. You authorize an amount on your card that is more than enough then when you pump it will only charge your card for what you pumped not what you authorized.
Webefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 09:55 PM   #9

[QUOTE=Webefine;2668474]
Quote:

At major truck stops when paying with a credit card you only need to go inside once. You authorize an amount on your card that is more than enough then when you pump it will only charge your card for what you pumped not what you authorized.
Not in my experience. Every station I have used wants to hold your charge card as you fill-up. I also want a true receipt of actual payment of what I spent in case a dispute is required over fueling charges or poor fuel quality.

This also why I use only one charge card for fueling. The same one is just used for fueling nothing else. I call the charge card company (credit union) and inform them I am traveling and to watch for fraudulent charges. I have never had any issues in doing this since I started traveling.
Old 12-05-2021, 12:46 AM   #10
Site Team

[QUOTE=Jim34RL;2668487]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webefine View Post

Not in my experience. Every station I have used wants to hold your charge card as you fill-up. I also want a true receipt of actual payment of what I spent in case a dispute is required over fueling charges or poor fuel quality.
We have never had that experience anywhere in the West. Not even one gas station said they hold your charge card, for a fill up.
What kind of gas station do you go to?

Sent from my SM-T377T using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 06:08 AM   #11

In my Area Flying J and Loves seems to be at least 20 cents more per gal than anyone in area. Marathon gas has a discount, after signing up, you input 11 plus your cell num an 1st 4 uses get 10 cents off, after that always get 5 cents off. Some stations just can't pull in with a big rig or a truck/5'er. But i have also pulled into wawa with a class A. wife bitched about it, but hey i still filled up. lol
wildmanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 06:53 PM   #12

[QUOTE=Jim34RL;2668487]
Quote:

This also why I use only one charge card for fueling. The same one is just used for fueling nothing else. I call the charge card company (credit union) and inform them I am traveling and to watch for fraudulent charges. I have never had any issues in doing this since I started traveling.

I use Flying J, Loves, and Pilot mostly and have never had to go back in a second time or have them hold my card. You are correct that I don’t get the receipt but we keep a travel log that we list where,when,how much, and price of the fuel that we get. If we had a problem we would use that to argue, not as good as a receipt but it how we do it.
Webefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 08:12 PM   #13
Enjoying Life

[QUOTE=Webefine;2668704]
Quote:

I use Flying J, Loves, and Pilot mostly and have never had to go back in a second time or have them hold my card. You are correct that I don’t get the receipt but we keep a travel log that we list where,when,how much, and price of the fuel that we get. If we had a problem we would use that to argue, not as good as a receipt but it how we do it.

If I don't get a receipt, I just take a picture of the pump face and then the pump area where I'm sitting. This provides time, date and location.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 10:14 AM   #14

I am another fan of the TSD card. now reason for us to go inside unless we need to for something else.
SheltonsDX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 11:10 AM   #15

For the main part I do not use Love's or Pilot stations, too much Bio-Fuel content in these stations. Sometimes TC of America, stations on the Ohio turnpike with major trucks stops on the interstate. We do most of our trips towards the eastern US. Last time we went west was in 2016.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:16 AM   #16

[QUOTE=TeachTexas;2668723]
Quote:

If I don't get a receipt, I just take a picture of the pump face and then the pump area where I'm sitting. This provides time, date and location.
I am old school when I traveled for work a paper receipt was required for everything. I still think along those lines, you can't edit a paper receipt from the station like you can a photo. Besides my 35MM is in the camera case which is on the rear seat floor of the truck.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:20 AM   #17

While hauling the 5er, we almost exclusively use Flying J and Pilots for a few reasons:
1) Have Pilot/Flying J card that is a credit card and gets me a few cents off per gallon
2) I can pay at the pump with these cards
3) As they are truck stops, lanes are big and the pumps fill the tank super fast
4) Fuel is fresh ---- they have lots of volume so the fuel is "fresh"
5) Truck runs fine regardless of biodiesel percentage. My 2017 can can run up to B20
Old 12-09-2021, 07:15 PM   #18

I suspect most truck lanes only accept truck network specific cards, including the TSD card.

I did find one station that did accept general credit cards in the truck lanes. However, the $500 pre-auth it pulled put my Visa into fraud mode. My Discover did work, but since my DEF is forward of the diesel fill, I had to do two separate transactions, and the $500 pre-auth x 2 stayed on the card a few days until the actual amounts cleared.

I immediately signed up for the TSD card.

So I suspect if you do find a truck lane that accepts normal credit card, be prepared for a pre-auth sufficient to fill tractor fuel tanks. And be ready for the first time it happens for your card to go into fraud mode.
Desert Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 07:26 PM   #19

Well found that Pilot/Flying J offer a credit card called Axle for RVers to use in the commercial truck lanes.
I applied for it hope to get it before we leave from PA to South Texas.

Will have a 2500.00 limit not sure think it may work like a debit card will post when it arrives hope to know more then.
Also gives you a 12 cent per gallon discount when you use the card.

Having had a stem cell transplant I take anti-rejection medicine daily that compromises my immune system so really want to avoid going into the truck stops to pay if possible.

Loves does not offer any card to RVers yet
Medically Retired Marine Semper fi
Brucecav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 07:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucec View Post
Well found that Pilot/Flying J offer a credit card called Axle for RVers to use in the commercial truck lanes.
I applied for it hope to get it before we leave from PA to South Texas.

Good Sams also has a card for these that gives a small,discount.

Will have a 2500.00 limit not sure think it may work like a debit card will post when it arrives hope to know more then.

Having had a stem cell transplant I take anti-rejection medicine daily that compromises my immune system so really want to avoid going into the truck stops to pay if possible.

Loves does not offer any card to RVers yet

TSD card works at Loves, TA and many more… ad ey issue it to RV’s..

Check this out… https://www.tsdlogistics.com/services/fuel-program/

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote