Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2016, 03:11 PM   #41

Security

We were gone for six weeks earlier this year. Arranged for the dog sitter to come once a week (even though no animals were left at home), a neighbor mowed the lawn once a week. Notified the police with names of both of those people - they do vacation checks regularly for free (snow birds leave Daytona for the summer) and let my neighbor across the street know to watch the house. Which she does anyway - even tried to run us off the night my two mentors and I brought the fifth wheel home for the first time. I had neglected to let her know I had finally gotten it and there would be three trucks a trailer and four people yelling backing up directions. For shorter trips I just let the two neighbors know.
Katja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 03:20 PM   #42
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B Travelers View Post
The keyed deadbolts are not something I would do for the following reason: if you have a fire in your house, say in the middle of the night...will you remember where did you put the key for the door?...)
Most people just leave a key in the inside slot. Remove it when you leave and stick it in your pocket.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 03:52 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Most people just leave a key in the inside slot. Remove it when you leave and stick it in your pocket.
Works good till one day when it didn't...just my opinion. I have small grandchildren, they would see it and poof, it would be gone, and you have to find the other key.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:05 PM   #44
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B Travelers View Post
Works good till one day when it didn't...just my opinion. I have small grandchildren, they would see it and poof, it would be gone, and you have to find the other key.
Proof positive that for every solution there is a problem.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:18 PM   #45

Away home with camper.

We have to admit 3 years ago taught about that situation. We have a protected area on the side of our house where the camper is stored so if it is gone, so are we. Someone took advantage of that on a July 4th weekend and decided to help themselves to about $8,000 worth of our home items. At that time we had tried all the tricks about lights on, car in the driveway and etc. but none of that fooled them. They used a rod pushed thru the top center of our garage door frame and release the quick release bar all garage doors have in case you have to manually open them. That was a first of hearing someone getting into a house that way. Needless to say we have a complete alarm system, all ground level entries hard wired and any other entries above ground level not have solid 3/8" rod pieces stopping the windows from opening. We have great neighbors, including a local police force Lt., but it appears they hit quick and had the garage door to close behind them so no one could see them from the street. The low lifes also used our commode and did not bother to flush. NOW REALLY THAT JUST TOOK THE CAKE. Can only say just make sure you have a complete alarm system as the camper gone, and your TV at the same time, gives them all they need to know.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:23 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Proof positive that for every solution there is a problem.
Amen my brother!
Old 09-08-2016, 04:27 PM   #47

The DW and I pretty much decided that IF we were ever fortunate enough to live were we could put the RV on the property, it would have to be a full garage so you could not tell if the RV was or wasn't there. Cheap to do...if you are just dreaming of course.
I am still envious of those that have theirs close by home to load and unload, instead of making 5 trips with the vehicles back and forth carrying camping gear and food stuffs up to the storage lot.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:33 PM   #48

The thought has crossed mind, but my mother lives with us and is home 98% of the time we are away.

Also we have neighbors who watch out for each other. We have talked about security systems in the past but have yet to invest in it yet.

2008 Dodge Durango retired
2015 Salem cruise lite 195bh retired
2021 Cherokee Grey Wolf 26dbh
daybreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:34 PM   #49

I use a chamberlain Smart Phone garage door controller with MyQ and light controllers. I always wonder, "Did I close the garage door?" With this app I can check and shut it.

https://www.amazon.com/Chamberlain-C...hamberlain+myq
jftrombley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:12 PM   #50

we know our neighbors, they are friends. we help them, they help us.
When we are gone, if something unusual happens they call the Sheriff. This works the way it is supposed to!
Old 09-08-2016, 05:17 PM   #51
ARLO

I never worry. I have the whole house protected by Sumplisafe Alarm system and the exterior monitored by 8 cameras. When any one senses motion it exits it and sends an image to my gmail. Also have apps on my iPhone and iPad to adjust settings and view video. The interior also has a couple of cameras.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:43 PM   #52

Go on line and buy a simpley safe system about $about 400 you can install it yourself and for 25 a month you get monitoring and e mail if alarm goes off what's nice about this its mont to month
Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:54 PM   #53

Security camera

Fake camera no way! I purchased a Samsung smartcam video camera ($103 on amazon). It hooks up wirelessly to my WIFI router. Through my phone I can at anytime see whats going on in my house but the best part is when I am out of town I can set the camera to notify me of any motion or audio event. I immediately get an alert and can view the event. I was skeptical at first but these video cameras are unbelievable and they are very simple to setup. This is not a security system, it is a user installed camera. The intruders will be gone before the police get there, get their picture!!

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Smart.../dp/B0182UE3I4
2013 Rockwood Windjammer 3001w Diamond
Handydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:58 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
We like SimpliSafe also. Have one of their entry sensors on camper door for when it IS at home.

That is a great idea.
breezyhillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:03 PM   #55

Though this has nothing to do with home security systems, alarms, etc., we don't post anything on social media that would give anyone an idea we are gone. If we have photos we wish to share, we wait until we have returned home again.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:59 AM   #56

Since 2009 we have been snowbirding to Florida for 4 months. We store our Sabre on a concrete pad on the side of the house and it does stick out like a sore thumb. It is noticeable. We live in a sub-division, have great neighbors and everyone watches out for one another. Over Labor Day, the next door neighbor texted me that our garage door was open. I knew the neighbor on the other side had to go into our house to do something for me, she forgot to shut the garage door. Before we leave for Florida, we make out an itinerary that we give our kids & neighbors with all our stops and all the phone numbers of the campgrounds we are in, we also give this list to the Erie County Sheriff's office sub station on the Island. They will then patrol around our sub-division. We also tell the neighbors when they have company or a party at their house, tell your friends to park their cars in our driveway. So far no problems, hope it stays that way!
nikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:09 AM   #57

We do leave them in the front and back door during the night and when we are home, but pull them when we leave for dinner or work. When we leave for a trip I gather all the keys and put them in a very secure (I hope) hiding place. We do not have any children or grandchildren that live with us. The hardest person to train to do this was DW. She still forgets to take it with her sometimes.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:25 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspengirl View Post
Though this has nothing to do with home security systems, alarms, etc., we don't post anything on social media that would give anyone an idea we are gone. If we have photos we wish to share, we wait until we have returned home again.
Yes. This. Me and my wife are very careful to not tell anyone or post online about being gone, until we are home again.
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:21 AM   #59

Security System

Recommend you purchase a real security system. Simply Safe and many others install easy and can easily be moved to a new home at any time. You own it and most notify your phone if there is an issue with your home.
mckittrick5791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:34 AM   #60

Security system simply safe wireless you install and take it with you when you leave only 15 a month for montoring . With the above mentioned items its another level of protection.
railroaderone is offline   Reply With Quote