Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #1

For those who haven't experienced it yet, Awning vs Rain

Last week I went camping at a COE campground about 30 miles from home. I took my tt over on a Friday so I could have the driveway clear to seal coat it on Saturday. I set the awning up and had it tilted down somewhat. On Saturday morning I tied it off so the wind would not blow it. Rain chances were 60% for the day as predicted by the weatherman on the news. When I left, it was sprinkling some and then the sun would shine. I went home, got my job completed but was noticing this big, very big black cloud the direction of the campground. I headed back through town and noticed all this water in the streets, they had a downpour. I pulled through the gate at the cg and my eyes focused on my tt and awning. In the middle was a big puddle of water and my awning roller rod was bent. I got the water dumped and managed to get my awning rolled up after dragging a table over and standing on it. It was bent and mutilated. I then had to call my DW who was on a trip to Florida and tell her that I had broken our tt. I called my insurance company and found out I was fully covered which helped to ease my distress. Now, waiting for the adjuster to come to see the damage. Reason I am making this post is to help the new ones who haven't had this happen to them.

When leaving your tt with awning down, make sure it is up, or tilted at one end to make sure the water will run off and not accumulate in the middle. The campers next to me that day had their sat. antenna fried because it flooded out in the deluge of rain we had. It rained about 2 inches in a very short period of time.
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:45 PM   #2

Sorry to hear of your trouble but glad your insurers will pay up.

I never leave the awning out even if we leave even for an hour or two for this very reason. A sudden squall can lift it right over the roof both damaging the roof and destroying the awning and frame. (there are threads on this very subject). A damaged roof means your rig is out of use for posibly weeks. Okay ours is electric and takes seconds to retract, the manual ones take a liitle longer, but better safe than sorry.

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigels View Post

I never leave the awning out even if we leave even for an hour or two for this very reason. A sudden squall can lift it right over the roof both damaging the roof and destroying the awning and frame. (there are threads on this very subject). A damaged roof means your rig is out of use for posibly weeks. Okay ours is electric and takes seconds to retract, the manual ones take a liitle longer, but better safe than sorry.
If we leave our power awning out, it is tied down on the poles I made and has at least 6"-10" of tilt. Went thru' 4 days & nights in FL about a month ago of torrential rain & wind and not a flutter except the awning mat'l a little. No movement of the arms whatsoever and they were not even tightened.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigels View Post

X2! We never leave our awning out if we're leaving the campsite. It only takes one sudden and strong gust of wind to do major damage.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:20 PM   #5

Ditto. Watched a fellow camper's turn into a windsail one day. Myself and camp host had to hop into action and retract it while camper was out fishing. Meanwhile, the wind ripped my stakes out of the ground and broke a mount at top of pole. Luckily, a four dollar brass fitting from hardware store fixed it rather than $110 on a new pole. Ripoff!

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #6

Got my tt at my local RV dealer, waiting for parts to be ordered and installed. I hope to have it back home next week. I will be very very very cautious with my awning now.....
Old 07-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #7

DW and I were having this very discussion earlier today as we packed up our site to head home from our weekend. We were at a CG that has more seasonal sites than weekly/weekend sites, and many of the campers that weren't there this weekend had their awning folded down over their deck or whatever. I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would want to leave their awning out when their camper is unattended? It only takes a few minutes for a wicked windstorm to rip the crap out of whatever method you've devised for keeping it anchored. To quote Chevy Chase in "Vacation:" "Roll 'em up!"
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Never leave mine out when unattended.
And when were in bed and storming its at Max tilt.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Never leave mine out when unattended.
And when were in bed and storming its at Max tilt.
But you're a woose!
Old 07-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #10

Things can happen when you leave your RV and the awning is extended. Here are a couple of pics

At least this guy can now use his awning as a movie screen.

This awning was salvageable.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Things can happen when you leave your RV and the awning is extended...
It's no wonder, neither were staked down and the electric one had no support from the awning to the ground either.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:31 PM   #12

I use one of those cork screw anchors for dog chains and a ratchet strap, wind can blow all it wants and I don't worry about the awning going anywhere.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
It's no wonder, neither were staked down and the electric one had no support from the awning to the ground either.
I agree, sure pays to roll em up!

I have had sailboats for 30 years and the loading on a jib sheet on a modest boat close hauled is in excess of 4000lbs in a 15 knot wind, imagine what a 40mph gust can do to a canopy staked down or not, something has to give, not so?

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Old 07-28-2012, 06:29 AM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Anyone care to do a review of:

Save Your RV Awning with an RV Awning Travel Lock!

at 40 bucks it looks interesting; but not sure if I want to "take point".
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #15
Wanna Be Camper

For the few seconds it takes we do as we were told years ago, never leave the awning out when you go to bed or leave the unit. Hasn't steered us wrong yet. I will say it is a bit of a PIA to take down the lights but it is only 2min out of the day.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:18 AM   #16

I hope that others have read this thread and the posts and that they will learn from other's mistakes. I know that I will never assume that nothing will happen even though I had it tilted down in front, tied down to a 500 pound picnic table, and what I thought secured for the weather we were having. Mother Nature can always fool you.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

I hadn't realized that the awning could unravel whilst motoring so its a good idea, looks very neat and for $40 could be worth while insurance.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #18

Was working for my neighbor in Yellowstone in 1998. On last trip home, he was towing his travel trailer and I was towing his pontoon boat. His awning started to unravel but couldn't catch him to tell him until it was destroyed.

First and only night I left my awning up, a storm came up about the time it was starting to get light. Don't know if the storm would have caused any damage or not, but bent one of the support rods trying to get it down. Ended up was able to straighten it again with the hood of the truck with a towel on it.
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #19

herk7769,
We have had the rv awning lock for a few years now. Easy install, easy operation, eases my worrying mind while on the road. Just a bit of insurance.
4Jeeperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #20
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

Will stay with the one I came up with, less than $10 and also just as positive a lock. Can also do the same with a large hose clamp, hvy duty "D" ring and a pc of chain with a spring or just a rod and turnbuckle instead of the chain/spring.

Tags
awning