Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 04:32 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
dretired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,045
Ford F250 V-!0 for towing a 5ver

I would like to hear from those that have F250s..with V-10 gas engines..my choices would be an XLT or Lariat, supercab or crewcab...6 1/2 box...4.10 limited slip..it would be towing a 33 foot fifth wheel.. loaded weight around...9,500 lbs...thank you
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:44 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Outside Boston Mass
Posts: 59
we tow much bigger and heavier with our v-10, we had a v-8 250 we towed about the same size and weight trailer as yours with. The v-10 will pull anything you hook to it, just expect between 7.5 and 9 mpg depending on ur style of driving. Empty I can see up to 15mpg but mine is a dually with 43o gears so she revs a bit high. For a short time, possibly 2 trips we towed the 32 ft 5er with the v-10 and it was as if it wasnt even there. The one we tow now is 42 ft and 15k loaded, still not a problem but havent taken it much higher than 2000 ft...yet
__________________
2007 Cardinal 362bhle 5er
2006 f350 Diesel CC LB 4x4 4.10 locker lariat
1966 Mustang coupe...under construction
2004 Explorer 4.6 awd (16 year old daughters car)
2009 Mazda 6 (wife's ride)
Bunkfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:15 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
dretired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkfamily View Post
we tow much bigger and heavier with our v-10, we had a v-8 250 we towed about the same size and weight trailer as yours with. The v-10 will pull anything you hook to it, just expect between 7.5 and 9 mpg depending on ur style of driving. Empty I can see up to 15mpg but mine is a dually with 43o gears so she revs a bit high. For a short time, possibly 2 trips we towed the 32 ft 5er with the v-10 and it was as if it wasnt even there. The one we tow now is 42 ft and 15k loaded, still not a problem but havent taken it much higher than 2000 ft...yet
Thanks for the reply...I would expect the 7-9 mpg when towing..its the fact of a F250 being a more stable ..beefier.. truck than our present F150 is...i dont use my truck a lot anyway..so the fuel cost thing isnt a big factor here
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
Now a "Top Member"
 
EdJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Roman Forest, TX
Posts: 3,130
The V10 is a very capable engine, especially with the 4.10 gears you mention. Remember though, you can only get the V10 up to 2010...they no longer make them for the F-250/F-350.

A couple of other items, get the power extending/folding tow mirrors. You will love those. And one thing I miss in my Lariat is the dual zone automatic climate control. I can do fine without the leather seats, but the climate control was nice. Oh...and the backup sensors. I have a backup camera on my new truck, but I really liked the backup sensors better.

Good luck, and let us know what you get!
__________________
Ed and Sharon
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS
2019 Ford F-250 XLT - AWESOME Truck!
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Outside Boston Mass
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by dretired View Post
Thanks for the reply...I would expect the 7-9 mpg when towing..its the fact of a F250 being a more stable ..beefier.. truck than our present F150 is...i dont use my truck a lot anyway..so the fuel cost thing isnt a big factor here
I work on lots of 150 and superduty series, there is no comparison when it comes to which is a TRUCK. The F150 is a great ride but the superduty series is almost indestructible as a work truck/ tow rig. We run 17 trucks as a plow fleet and short of general maintenance they just go and go and go and never break.

Nobody ever got in trouble for being "overtrucked"
__________________
2007 Cardinal 362bhle 5er
2006 f350 Diesel CC LB 4x4 4.10 locker lariat
1966 Mustang coupe...under construction
2004 Explorer 4.6 awd (16 year old daughters car)
2009 Mazda 6 (wife's ride)
Bunkfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chatham, IL
Posts: 215
We have a 250 superduty and pulled our 5th wheel home last weekend. Averaged 15.5 mpg. Most of that was interstate but also Chicago traffic.
jmswms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #7
I just tow the TT for DW!
 
kamp k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 256
MY TV is a 2008 F250 V10, XLT, crewcab, with 4.10, and tow rating of 12500 lbs. I tow the TT in my signature that is 34.5' with a GVWR of 8742. Love everything about the truck, looks, performance, back up sensors, etc. I get about 8.5 mpg most trips, a little better if I can keep my speed at 55 mph (which is hard sometimes as she just wants to get on the highway and go). Only downside is the fuel cost as mentioned, but like you, I don't drive mine often. Outside of a weekly 15 mile round trip to the landfill, she's strictly a tow vehicle, so fuel cost wasn't a big factor for me either. It'll have no trouble pulling the 33ft/9500 lbs 5th wheel you mentioned. I also upgraded from an F150. Loved my F150 and didn't want to get rid of it, but when DW decided this was the TT she wanted, I knew I would need additional payload for the heavier TT and all our gear.
__________________

2008 Ford F350 King Ranch Lariat SD CC 4x4 V10 4:10
2012 Rockwood Windjammer 3008 - Equalizer 12k
2007 EZGO TXT Lifted/Custom Golf Cart

Nights Camped: 2011(52) 2012(65) 2013(65) 2014 (51) 2015 (40)
kamp k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #8
I just tow the TT for DW!
 
kamp k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmswms View Post
We have a 250 superduty and pulled our 5th wheel home last weekend. Averaged 15.5 mpg. Most of that was interstate but also Chicago traffic.
Diesel, not V10, correct?
__________________

2008 Ford F350 King Ranch Lariat SD CC 4x4 V10 4:10
2012 Rockwood Windjammer 3008 - Equalizer 12k
2007 EZGO TXT Lifted/Custom Golf Cart

Nights Camped: 2011(52) 2012(65) 2013(65) 2014 (51) 2015 (40)
kamp k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
 
Dave_Monica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,327
We have an '08 Lariat V10 CC SB 4.10...our camper is around 8400 lbs loaded. Mileage towing 8.5 - 9, non towing best 14 mpg. This truck is no lightweight...7525 lbs. The GVWR is 9400, so payload is 1875 lbs. The RAWR is 6100 lbs...I don't have a rear axle weight unloaded, but the payload may be 1000 lbs higher without exceeding the RAWR. The tow rating for 5th wheel is over 14000 lbs. Here's the link to Ford's tow ratings.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...08_default.asp

Dave

Edit: Clarification on the truck weight...that 7525 lbs with full fuel, 460 lbs people/pets, and sliding hitch.
__________________


Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 23,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
We have an '08 Lariat V10 CC SB 4.10...our camper is around 8400 lbs loaded. Mileage towing 8.5 - 9, non towing best 14 mpg. This truck is no lightweight...7525 lbs. The GVWR is 9400, so payload is 1875 lbs. The RAWR is 6100 lbs...I don't have a rear axle weight unloaded, but the payload may be 1000 lbs higher without exceeding the RAWR. The tow rating for 5th wheel is over 14000 lbs. Here's the link to Ford's tow ratings.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...08_default.asp

Dave
I have the same issue with my truck. The frame is maxed out (GVWR) LONG before my rear axle (RAWR).
__________________
Lou, Laura, & Freya the wonder dog
2008 GMC Sierra 3000HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2019 Flagstaff 8529FLS - Pullrite 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
 
Dave_Monica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,327
dretired...have you looked at F150 ecoboost with max towing and max payload. The max towing limit is 11300lb, and the payload will be about the same as a F250 V10. You'd expect much better non-towing mileage. I know that F250 V10's are a rare find, especially a Lariat, in our neck of the woods.

Just a thought...

Dave
__________________


Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
cpaulsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Brookings
Posts: 561
Have an 01 F350 Lariat CC/LB/4X4 with the V-10 with 3:73 gears. Our Wildcat is 8000# empty and loaded its about 9500#. It a 29RLBS. I get about 8.5-9.5 towing and about 14-15 empty. It tows great...goes over the Siskiyous into Oregon and back over at about 50-55 mph.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
f250

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 AM.