Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2020, 07:07 AM   #1

Issues with a Forester

Hi all,

I don’t know if anyone else has noticed but is seems, across the board and across all jobs, that at all levels customer service SUCKS!! Whether at a restaurant or car dealer.

Anyways, the wife and I bought a 2021 FRF Classic 2501 from “the World of Camping”. It was delivered on 28 July 2020 with no manuals, no remotes, and all we had when we left was the vehicle, 2 sets of keys, temp plate and Accompanying title application.

Fast forward 2 months later. After a dozen and a half of calls to the dealership for missing items and issues we found that should of been taken care of prior to leaving, I was left with no choice to call corporate and finally the molasses starts moving.

On the other hand since the dealership wouldn’t help me I figured the manufacturer would....ahh but I was wrong....I called weekly since the second week, 11 Aug 2020, of ownership and every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday since 14 Sep 2020. A helpful person transfers me to voice recording which asks for some info and states that the appropriate office will return your call within 48-72 hours. I am still waiting.

Issue: Forest River and Camping World get your act together and take care of your customers. I would not expect this kind of crap service from the shadiest used car dealer. YOU WOULD THINK WITH CAMPER AND RV SALES ON THE UP AND ON FIRE THEY WOULD DO A BETTER JOB.

RESULT: Now, I look at a very expensive, beautiful RV with such disdain because of the issues it has caused within our family because of the lack of taking care of customers. The second and third tier effects your lack of leadership has caused has lost a a generation of potential RVers not to mention this family. Not to mention STILL NO REMOTES AND NO MANUALS AS OF YET!!!!
Zynnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:16 AM   #2
PhD, Common Sense

I agree that it is the result of horrible customer service that you would have to do this, but you can download your manuals from the Internet.

On another note, and mainly to help future RV buyers: Delivery of RVs is generally a bad idea. It allows the dealer to ignore you. I recommend either buying locally, or (if you save thousands by buying at a distance), drive to the dealer with your TV, do the PDI, which should include the handover of all manuals, in person and in depth, and camp nearby to the dealer for a few days to find any hidden issues.

You are much harder to ignore when standing there with the RV at the dealer than you are after having left a telephone message.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:07 AM   #3
Site Team

There are a couple of things.
1. You may know this, but there's a disclaimer at the bottom of every page.
Quote:
This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.
So if someone from FR reads this it won't be in an official capacity.

2. Besides the chassis manual, if you get a general manual on the RV, you most likely won't be impressed. You're much better off downloading the individual appliance/equipment manuals from their respective mfg's.

As for the remotes, I'd be tempted to show up at the dealer in the RV and see what the issue of getting them is. Even if we had to make a trip out of it.

Of course, if you got a good enough deal you could just buy the remotes and chalk it up to 'part of the deal' and call it good.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:30 AM   #4

Thank you Eye95 and Bama Rambler.
I understand that this is not endorsed by FR but I was wondering if anyone else also had issue with them.

I will say that standing there helped a bit and that we did pick it up at the dealership 2 hours away BUT STILL.

I understand I can download from manufacturers and I appreciate all your enthusiasm and believe me I would download if the vehicle was 5 yrs or older but this was brand new off the lot

I know it might sound whiny but if we allow standards to drop now what will they be 3 or 5 years from now.

If you buy a car in Missouri the dealer is held accountable Up to 45 days (lemon laws) but not when it comes to RV’s.

The service I received from the salesman, the walk thru, and service department were excellent but when we said we will not take good sams financing and instead pay in cash the attitude from the finance guy up to the manager were piss poor. And we were treated poorly after that as you can read.

The communication aspect Between management and the “workers” is nonexistent and the people who answer the phones are quick to give you the run around.

Very unsatisfactory and disappointed in the whole process
Old 10-01-2020, 01:16 PM   #5
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zynnad View Post
Thank you Eye95 and Bama Rambler.
I understand that this is not endorsed by FR but I was wondering if anyone else also had issue with them.

I will say that standing there helped a bit and that we did pick it up at the dealership 2 hours away BUT STILL.

I understand I can download from manufacturers and I appreciate all your enthusiasm and believe me I would download if the vehicle was 5 yrs or older but this was brand new off the lot

I know it might sound whiny but if we allow standards to drop now what will they be 3 or 5 years from now.

If you buy a car in Missouri the dealer is held accountable Up to 45 days (lemon laws) but not when it comes to RV’s.

The service I received from the salesman, the walk thru, and service department were excellent but when we said we will not take good sams financing and instead pay in cash the attitude from the finance guy up to the manager were piss poor. And we were treated poorly after that as you can read.

The communication aspect Between management and the “workers” is nonexistent and the people who answer the phones are quick to give you the run around.

Very unsatisfactory and disappointed in the whole process

That's when you should have walked away! That's an indication that they cared more about the "finance kickback" then they did you as a customer. I didn't finance through my dealer, but he still provided me with a CD with all the manuals and warranties on it; and all my remotes were on the kitchen counter to test during the PDI.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 01:16 PM   #6
Director, FROG

Quote:
Hi all,

I don’t know if anyone else has noticed but is seems, across the board and across all jobs, that at all levels customer service SUCKS!! Whether at a restaurant or car dealer.

Anyways, the wife and I bought a 2021 FRF Classic 2501 from “the World of Camping”. It was delivered on 28 July 2020 with no manuals, no remotes, and all we had when we left was the vehicle, 2 sets of keys, temp plate and Accompanying title application.

Fast forward 2 months later. After a dozen and a half of calls to the dealership for missing items and issues we found that should of been taken care of prior to leaving, I was left with no choice to call corporate and finally the molasses starts moving.

On the other hand since the dealership wouldn’t help me I figured the manufacturer would....ahh but I was wrong....I called weekly since the second week, 11 Aug 2020, of ownership and every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday since 14 Sep 2020. A helpful person transfers me to voice recording which asks for some info and states that the appropriate office will return your call within 48-72 hours. I am still waiting.

Issue: Forest River and Camping World get your act together and take care of your customers. I would not expect this kind of crap service from the shadiest used car dealer. YOU WOULD THINK WITH CAMPER AND RV SALES ON THE UP AND ON FIRE THEY WOULD DO A BETTER JOB.

RESULT: Now, I look at a very expensive, beautiful RV with such disdain because of the issues it has caused within our family because of the lack of taking care of customers. The second and third tier effects your lack of leadership has caused has lost a a generation of potential RVers not to mention this family. Not to mention STILL NO REMOTES AND NO MANUALS AS OF YET!!!!
Zynnad, please send me your name, phone number, e-mail address, and the last 8 digits of your VIN so that I can have someone in the appropriate division follow up with you.

In the meantime, I'm assuming that your designation of FRF is for a Forester Classic. You can find the interactive manual for that unit at Forester Classic Owner's Manual.

You can send me the information at frog@forestriverinc.com.

Thanks!

(BTW, just as a suggestion, this topic is primarily the issue of no manuals and no remotes. It might be more helpful to label the topic as that, or as issues with a Forester, than to dump it under the unrelated topic of COVID.)

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 01:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Hi all,

Since you have no information listed under your title name, I am guessing you are new to RVing.
Did you do a PDI before taking delivery of you unit or just pay and leave? You need to do a Google search for all the equipment in your unit and print out your own. Buying an RV is nothing,like buying a car. Only real owners manualcomes with driveable units and only covers the chassis. It would help You to find someone to explain your unit too you. Sorry you feel the way you do. There will be a lot more new/never RVers out there with no understanding.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:52 PM   #8
jkoenig24

Once you signed the paperwork and handed over the check, you lost ALL power and from that point forward, were at the mercy of the dealership. it's a common mistake that MANY buyers make because they think they are dealing with a business entity that actually cares about its' customers. I know that there ARE "shady customers" out there but, in my opinion, there are FAR MORE "shady dealers".

For other "newbies" who are considering buying ANY type of RV, leave a small deposit (say $500~$1000) as a show of good faith on your part. Tell the dealership in NO UNCERTAIN TERMS that you will NOT hand over the final check and sign the paperwork until you are COMPLETELY SATISFIED with the unit you're purchasing. That means the you do a THOROUGH PDI and, if you are not knowledgeable enough to perform said PDI, the the RV Inspection Pro (that YOU pay for) will be there to assist you. A true Pro Inspector will know what to look for and, you can expect to finish the PDI with a (possibly long) checklist of faults that MUST BE corrected BEFORE you accept said unit. Don't be surprised that when you so inform the dealer of these non-negotiable "musts", the dealer gives you your deposit back and cancels the sale himself. If that does not happen, then within a reasonable time frame, plan for a second PDI with the same conditions . It would be VERY prudent to have your Professional Inspector along with you on the second PDI. YES, there will be a cost for the "extra service provided by the Professional Inspector BUT, if you get EVERYTHING RIGHT BEFORE LEAVING the dealership, it will be money well spent.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:41 PM   #9

There is a FROG Rally taking place right now and there is a virtual link to online service. Why not try it? Maybe it will save you some pain....
https://frogvirtualrally.com/service-department43087673
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:47 PM   #10

Isn't a shame that we experienced RV'ers have to explain to newbies that buying an RV is unlike any other buying experience in their life. We know and expect crap service and alert them to that. We also alert them that they must become handymen. We even tell them the "earthquake on wheels" story to cover for the build quality. It's a shameful situation and as a buyer it's one of the few places where you are powerless. They sell so many, they don't care.
BigRockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 12:01 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
Once you signed the paperwork and handed over the check, you lost ALL power and from that point forward, were at the mercy of the dealership. it's a common mistake that MANY buyers make because they think they are dealing with a business entity that actually cares about its' customers. I know that there ARE "shady customers" out there but, in my opinion, there are FAR MORE "shady dealers".

For other "newbies" who are considering buying ANY type of RV, leave a small deposit (say $500~$1000) as a show of good faith on your part. Tell the dealership in NO UNCERTAIN TERMS that you will NOT hand over the final check and sign the paperwork until you are COMPLETELY SATISFIED with the unit you're purchasing. That means the you do a THOROUGH PDI and, if you are not knowledgeable enough to perform said PDI, the the RV Inspection Pro (that YOU pay for) will be there to assist you. A true Pro Inspector will know what to look for and, you can expect to finish the PDI with a (possibly long) checklist of faults that MUST BE corrected BEFORE you accept said unit. Don't be surprised that when you so inform the dealer of these non-negotiable "musts", the dealer gives you your deposit back and cancels the sale himself. If that does not happen, then within a reasonable time frame, plan for a second PDI with the same conditions . It would be VERY prudent to have your Professional Inspector along with you on the second PDI. YES, there will be a cost for the "extra service provided by the Professional Inspector BUT, if you get EVERYTHING RIGHT BEFORE LEAVING the dealership, it will be money well spent.
Exactly! It's what we did with our current TT.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 11:05 PM   #12

There are some very good dealers out there. I've had 3 very good ones - dealers who helped me when I was over my head.

And there are plenty of car/truck dealers who will never see my face or wallet. Pick the dealer just as carefully as you pick the product.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
Camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.R.O.G. View Post
Zynnad, please send me your name, phone number, e-mail address, and the last 8 digits of your VIN so that I can have someone in the appropriate division follow up with you.

In the meantime, I'm assuming that your designation of FRF is for a Forester Classic. You can find the interactive manual for that unit at Forester Classic Owner's Manual.

You can send me the information at frog@forestriverinc.com.

Thanks!

(BTW, just as a suggestion, this topic is primarily the issue of no manuals and no remotes. It might be more helpful to label the topic as that, or as issues with a Forester, than to dump it under the unrelated topic of COVID.)
I am at the point of total frustration and will take you up on your offer please be on the look out for the information requested.

Dan
Old 10-24-2020, 12:08 PM   #14

What does all of this have to do with covid? The only time you mention covid is in the title of your post.
yukongold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Hi all,

Yet the pmts begin even if it sits in your driveway.
Sharon.72064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:27 PM   #16
Certified Curmudgeon

I’m a little confused here. Trying to figure out why the extreme frustration and all the drama associated with it when I cannot find where you are having any issues with the coach. If I drove away without all the parts accounted for and everything not in working order I would be blaming myself. Then I would be applying copious amounts of honey at the dealership to get them to pony up.

Sorry I am not being very sympathetic however there are a ton of people here that could have provided pre-purchase advice. Even with my level of experience you can still search back in this forum and see where I asked before I pulled the trigger.

Bob Byrne is a first class guy and will get you what you need.

FR has an App containing all your manuals but it is generic. Search Forest River.

You can get your Ford Owners manual here:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/parts-ser...owner-manuals/

I know the effect frustration can have but hang in there. Once you get over the speed bump I am pretty sure you will find the Adventure.

Happy Trails
Old 10-26-2020, 09:12 AM   #17
Commercial Member

Zynnad

I want to first off apologize that you didn't receive all the information and remotes from CW. Sadly they should have provided you with the manuals and remotes. I also want to apologize for the fact that no one form Forest River hasn't been responsive.
Shame on us.
As others have already suggested Forest River does put up owners manuals on our website including many of the original equipment manuals like AC and Microwave. Here is the link for that info
https://forestriverinc.help/#/forest...orester/browse

If you would like to send me a private message with your address and last 6 of the vin I will track down some tv remotes and send them to you.
karykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:58 AM   #18

Kary, I have read a number of your posts and I would personally like to thank you for always offering a positive solution to many problems folks have had on these forums. Scott
Scott Cummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 11:36 AM   #19

My Sincere Thanks

I want to personally extend my heartfelt thank you and sincere appreciation for all of your assistance.

I will say these issues I have raised was a dealership and management issue that even the National Headquarters could not pressure them to fix.

After 6 months of arguing parts have finally arrived and I asked for a different dealer to install.

The new dealer received the parts in late January of this year (vehicle bought in July 2020, parts ordered the same day) and as expected they were the wrong parts not for the same vehicle but a completely other model and manufacturer. The new dealership was quick in getting a response and a fix. Some parts they had on hand and fixed while they got resolution. 4 hours later I was out the door with dates the parts would arrive. They have all arrived and now I am waiting for a decent driving day to get the remaining parts installed.

That’s the difference between selling (money) and taking care of customers (doing what’s right morally).

I have resorted into getting manuals online and printing them at my expense so I can build my own binder.

The remotes I had to order and pay for myself from the manufacturer.

Once again thank you all for all your amazing input.
Don’t get me wrong the sting and burn of how we were treated by a shady dealer is still there but you all have help reduce that and for that I say THANK YOU
Old 02-11-2021, 12:49 PM   #20

I am a forester, what's your issue?
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river