Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2010, 12:06 PM   #1
Rockwood 8285 WS

Forest River dealers under no obligation to do warranty work

Before purchasing my Forest River Rockwood 5th wheel from RVDirect in Indiana I called Forest River and spoke with a representative. We discussed my concerns about purchasing a 5th wheel a few thousand miles from my home. I was assured of two things, first that Forest River did a large business through RVDirect and that we could take our 5th wheel to any authorized dealer for repairs, we were not required to take it to Elkhart, Indiana for repairs. After we picked up our trailer we started home and I had occasion to call again but unfortunately I don’t know who I spoke with. At that time I was told that while I could take my 5th wheel to any authorized dealer for warranty work, Forest River dealers were under no obligation to actually work on my trailer. In fact, it’s likely that dealers will refuse to work on our 5th wheel.
On_the_road_again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:52 PM   #2

It makes sense to me that a dealer would not be required to work on a unit, as they are a private company and they can decide what work they want to do. However, what makes no sense is why they would refuse to do warranty work! If they have a service department, they are motivated to keep it filled with work. I suppose if they have so much work that they don't need warranty work, maybe then they would turn it down.

I will say that I had a dealer refuse to work on my unit once. I purchased my unit from a dealer 150 miles away. I took it in for warranty work. When I discovered that their repair didn't fix the problem, I asked how I could get it fixed without driving another 300 miles. They said take it to a closer repair shop and have them bill my dealer for the work. The closer dealer refused because my dealer is a "big dog" and they are a local family-owned business who has been hurt by lower prices offered at the "big dog" dealership.

Good luck.

Ray
grandpaofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:23 PM   #3
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpaofthree View Post
The closer dealer refused because my dealer is a "big dog" and they are a local family-owned business who has been hurt by lower prices offered at the "big dog" dealership.
So they think this refusal to provide service is going to win them new customers?

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:01 PM   #4

I would contact Forest River and ask if you could bring it to the closest dealer for any warranty repairs that you would pay for and have Forest River reimburse you for the cost of the warranty repair. I did this on a few occasions where my selling dealer was many hours away and never had a problem with getting reimbursement.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
I would contact Forest River and ask if you could bring it to the closest dealer for any warranty repairs that you would pay for and have Forest River reimburse you for the cost of the warranty repair. I did this on a few occasions where my selling dealer was many hours away and never had a problem with getting reimbursement.
As they say, "GET IT IN WRITING" or you just may get stuck picking up the tab.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:14 PM   #6

I bought my 2604SS from RVdirect last October. I have taken it to 2 different Forest River dealers. I have received very good service from both and they did not asked where I bought it. Dealers make a profit on warrenty work. I don't know why they would turn it down.

Great Wife and Idiot Yorkie
True Friends are like diamonds, precious and rare.
False ones like autumn leaves found everywhere
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:00 PM   #7

So if you lived in Texas for instance and bought an RV, then your work transferred you to Oregon within 2 months of your purchase that the dealer in Oregon would be under no obligation to fix your rig? BS!

This is a load of crap and I might also think illegal. I would be taking it up with your state attorney general and a lawyer for a possible class action lawsuit. This isn't just an FR thing this is the same for all RV dealers and manufacturers. They think they are special and should hold a monopoly to charge what ever they want in their region. Seems to me Microsoft has been sued for much less. I would think that a local RV dealer who refused warranty work would be ripe for a lawsuit in federal court.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:32 PM   #8

Well put, NWJeeper. Might be some eager lawyer who might just take a case like this on. What good is a manufacturer warranty when it can't be serviced?
We have always purchased based on priced and have been able to find local service. In one case, when turned down by one dealer, years ago, the factory said take it anywhere you want and call us. Hopefully, this is becoming a thing of the past, maybe because of the probable illegality, as you state?
granite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
So if you lived in Texas for instance and bought an RV, then your work transferred you to Oregon within 2 months of your purchase that the dealer in Oregon would be under no obligation to fix your rig? BS!

This is a load of crap and I might also think illegal. I would be taking it up with your state attorney general and a lawyer for a possible class action lawsuit. This isn't just an FR thing this is the same for all RV dealers and manufacturers. They think they are special and should hold a monopoly to charge what ever they want in their region. Seems to me Microsoft has been sued for much less. I would think that a local RV dealer who refused warranty work would be ripe for a lawsuit in federal court.

this is perfectly legal, they are not franchised dealers, they are simply reselling units purchased from Forest River, and as such do not have to do any repairs warranty or otherwise. Since Giant rec. world here in winter garden has refused any more service on my 2010 36RE purchased from them by me, I have had to take it to an independent repair shop recommended to me by Cedar Creek and they pay them direct. It is a little bit of a drive but they want the work and do a fine job. I have talked a few times to Kevin the warranty administrator for this area and was told this particular dealer has a very bad reputation, but as long as they want to purchase and resell trailers CC will not step in. Bottom line is the selling dealer does not have to perform warranty work and there is not a darn thing you can do about it, as to why they would turn down warranty work, well they charge the average person 125.00/hour here in florida, they do not get that from the manufacturer.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:24 PM   #10

My dealer told me that even though I was purchasing my Work 'n Play from him in Dallas, that I could take it to any dealer for warranty repairs. Now that I need warranty work done, I looked up the policy info on Forest River's site and see that I was not told the truth....dealers are not obligated to work on units bought at other dealers. I won't be looking at Forest River products when I upgrade to a 5th wheel.
DonnaTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaTx View Post
My dealer told me that even though I was purchasing my Work 'n Play from him in Dallas, that I could take it to any dealer for warranty repairs. Now that I need warranty work done, I looked up the policy info on Forest River's site and see that I was not told the truth....dealers are not obligated to work on units bought at other dealers. I won't be looking at Forest River products when I upgrade to a 5th wheel.
Donna, this is true of ALL RVs. It is not a Forest River thing.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
This isn't just an FR thing this is the same for all RV dealers and manufacturers. .
I have to agree with NWJeepers, it more then likly is a standerd policy the manufacturers do.. But I would say Most would do the work.. if not, I know Camping world Does it also

Hatchet
Chevy 2500HD Diesel
07 SandPiper F305

Days camped 2011 "3" so far,
Hatchet58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:48 PM   #13

The dealer told me I could take the toyhauler to any dealer who sells FR. Too bad I believed him.
DonnaTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:11 PM   #14

Donna, why are you mad at Forest River for things your dealer told you? They have no control over what he says and he appears to be somewhat untruthful with you. Is that Forest River's fault? Will you continue to do business with this dealer that has led you astray several times?

Most dealers will do warranty work for you even if you didn't buy it from them. They have nothing to lose and will get paid regardless.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaTx View Post
Dealers are not obligated to work on units bought at other dealers.
My Goodness, girl.

It states "They are not obligated". It doesn't say they wouldn't work on it.
Some dealer may charge you for any repairs, then reimburse you when the repair claim is paid to the dealer.
Some independent RV repair services will do the same.

I haven't heard of any RV shops to turn down income, whether it be a Customer or a Manufacturer. I know I wouldn't.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:28 AM   #16

Donna, no forest river retailer is obligated to work on your trailer whether you bought from them or not. Forest River agrees to pay for warranty work if a dealer chooses to work on it, but they do not have to work on it if they choose not to. RV retailers are not like a car dealership that is a franchise of the manufacturer, they are nothing more than an outlet that carry many different brands.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by On_the_road_again View Post
Before purchasing my Forest River Rockwood 5th wheel from RVDirect in Indiana I called Forest River and spoke with a representative. We discussed my concerns about purchasing a 5th wheel a few thousand miles from my home. I was assured of two things, first that Forest River did a large business through RVDirect and that we could take our 5th wheel to any authorized dealer for repairs, we were not required to take it to Elkhart, Indiana for repairs. After we picked up our trailer we started home and I had occasion to call again but unfortunately I don’t know who I spoke with. At that time I was told that while I could take my 5th wheel to any authorized dealer for warranty work, Forest River dealers were under no obligation to actually work on my trailer. In fact, it’s likely that dealers will refuse to work on our 5th wheel.
On_the_road_again , I don't blame you for being mad with Forest River, you did state in your first thread that you called Forest River first about your concerns before buying from RV Direct and you were mislead.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:59 AM   #18

I have 2 forest river dealers 40 mins. from my house but i bought my 5er 300 miles away because neither dealer had the unit i wanted, so when it was time for warranty work they both said no because i did'nt buy it from them, but the dealer a little over an hour away said he 'd be glad to work on it, so we set an appointment and the rest is history. I found out later that the 2 that said no were acually owed by the person , they sell different units, that was back in 07 and now one of the lots is closed and the other is hurting , My freind who bought a 5er last yr. ( different dealer ) needs warranty work gave them a call and they said no problem just bring it in. Amazing how quickly things change when no money is rolling in. Oh yeah my friend did not take it to them, he drove an hr away to the dealer where i took mine and was happy with the results.
rdsknfn_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:32 PM   #19

I talked with a Forest River rep about a week ago. My unit was bought in Georgia and I live in Florida. I was never told about the warranty issue on my unit. The dealer I bought it from had wriiten down and taken pictures of items that needed to be done. When I told the dealer to have it shipped down to a dealer in Florida when I found one, he said"NO". I asked him why this couldn't be done. He explained that as long as they document it they have to fix it.
After they fix the warranty issues I can find a dealer here to do the rest of the warranty and repair as I need it.
This also was the same explanation that was told to me by the Forest River rep. over the phone. Wish I would have know before I signed the papers.

Chris
lottabull54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:47 PM   #20
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Before anyone gets too bent out of shape about repair work on their RV they need to know that NO dealer of ANY brand is required to do warranty work. They are stupid if they don't, but they are not required to do the warranty work. That is the same with every brand of motor home, travel trailer, and fifth wheel out there. Doesn't matter if it's a $2,000 pop up or a $2,000,000 rig, the truth is that no one is required to work on those units. No need to get upset with Forest River when you might want to get upset with the entire industry and, while you're at it, the entire auto industry also because they are also not required to work on your vehicle. It doesn't make sense for them to not work on your unit, but they don't have to work on it.