Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2007, 07:30 AM   #1

Question Forest River Products

Hey guy's (and gal's)
Have a question. While exploring on other "sites", I notice a lot of complaints about the quality of Forest River Products. Since I have a deposit on a Forest
River Product can all of you who own one and of course are participating in this forum give me some idea of the quality and craftsmanship of your campers?
I love being part of this forum, and I already realize that all brands have there issues but is Forest River's quality as far as roof leakage, structural problems, ect...an issue? Thanks again for all your help.

Nina
Hitched up to a White 1999 F-150 Ext. Cab
Number of days camped in 2014-2
(4 more days reserved)
NINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 08:51 AM   #2

Nina,

As you stated, all manufacturers have there issues. All, meaning from the low-end units to the very, very high-end trailers end luxury motor homes/buses.

To be honest, I suspect there are way more problem with recreational vehicles than we actually hear/read about.

When a thread is started of a certain problem with one, owners having the same problem jump in with their story or interpretation. The complaints come in groves. Then they disappear for a while. Some of these problems we read about can also stem from an older model unit, which had major design flaws, and were later redesigned or updated by the manufacturer. It's like that with almost any product.

Another thing to realize is that most travel trailers are nothing but small living quarters, being shaken and jolted, while being towed down the highway. I do think they hold up pretty good, considering the condition of our roadway system.

Regular maintenance of the Roof, and other openings(window, door, hatches) are the key to preventing water intrusion.

The only advise I can give you is to learn all you can of this product and go over it as best you can before taking delivery. This is sometimes hard to do as we are anxious to receive it.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:27 AM   #3

We just got our rockwood 8318ss this week and love it the quality seems to be very good. We looked at alot of brand before buying this one, No complaints yet.
WIFE 33
TWO BOYS 5 & 7
adamcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 10:13 AM   #4

We have a 2003 Rockwood 5er and it's still going strong. We love it!!!!
2002 F-250 Super-duty
Woody 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 10:31 AM   #5

I don't think they are any worse than any other manufactuor out there. Just make sure you have a good dealer that will stand behind the product. I have had a few issues with my trailer but I have a great dealer that is right on top of things. It also helps that he is a friend of mine, his family and mine camp and ATV together
Cheers
Bear

2000 Volvo 660 D12 425 hp 1550 torque 15 speed, Trailer Saver air ride hitch. 2006 Canadian Sport 385 RLTS 40'10" triple slide, triple axle 5'er toybox, 300 watts solar, 3000 watt inverter, Onan 5500 Marques Platnum. 1998 Polaris 300 Explorer 4X4 quad, 2003 Polaris 700 Sportsman 4X4 quad, 1994 Jeep YJ "TOAD" 3" lift 31" ProComp Mud Terrain tires

https://community.webshots.com/user/Bears319

https://www.picturetrail.com/bears319

Mission Statement : ZZZZzzzzz
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 01:45 PM   #6

NINA, we have a Forest River Flagstaff 26RKS which is now 3 years old. We have only had minor issues with it that either I took care of or my dealer quickly took care of. The fit, finish, and quality is as good or better than the two Fleetwood models we previously owned.

You must realize that the very small minority of people that own any make or model of any trailer, car, truck, or anything that they have had trouble with will be the ones that yell the loudest about the quality of the item in question, making it seem like everyone has trouble. As I have told others, if the quality of a particular brand was as bad as this small group implies, they would have closed down long ago.

When you get your new trailer, be sure to go over it with a fine toothed comb. Check everything you can on it at the dealer's before taking delivery. If the PDI passes your approval, bring it home, set it up in your driveway, and test everything again. "Camp" in your driveway if you can a night or two to be sure everything works as it should.

After doing this, hit the road and have a great time.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:22 PM   #7

EVERY RV regardless of make/model is going to have it's own issues/quirks. My father-in-law has a Rockwood (don't know the model) but overall he is happy with it although he likes to b*&ch about it alot. The ol "wish I still had my old one" which he owned for over 25 years..... I don't have a Forest River but I've been in some and the ones I've been in (including my FIL's) looks really good to me. Like previous posters have stated.... An RV is nothing but a "small" house on wheels. It gets bounced around in potholes over speed bumps and curbs and yet it still holds together. TT's and other RV's are what YOU make of them. If you find something wrong deal with it imediately otherwise the bouncing around on the roads is only going to make it worse.
I bet you are going to enjoy it and it will provide many great memories.

greg
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 05:03 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
I agree with all those above, and have said the same myself time and again. But more importantly, I checked out the new models at the show a few weeks ago and notice a real improvement in the fit and finish, even over units fro two years ago. So I think you're getting the benefit from Mr. Buffett's takeover.

I won't go as far as saying FR is the best manufactured, but for the money its as good or better than the rest. However, every manufacturer has its lemons - the Friday/Monday production line issue I suppose. The thing is to give your unit a CLOSE inspection before taking delivery.... Look for a nice even level roof, nicely fitting cabinet doors, level blinds, loose screws, caulking gaps around windows and storage doors, etc. Take your shoes off and walk carefully around the perimiter - especially the ends, feeling for protruding screws or squeeks. With power on, check the quality of the sound system - play with it. Be prepared to spend 2 hours with your partner and preferrably someone you know who knows RVs and is really critical. Bring flashlights, a pad and pencils, and even a digital camera. Show your salesman/dealer manager every flaw you want addressed. And don't be afraid to ask him if a low quality mattress can be replaced.

The goal is, when you do take delivery, you're assured that shortcomings are looked after or at least reported.

Good luck!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 05:34 PM   #9

Well we sold a 94 playmor that was upper scale when we bought our 04 Flagstaff.

Our Flagstaff has been flawless except for the owner inflicted water leak.

Going from an upper scale short run unit to this one I never had a second thought due to the fact I have a GREAAT dealer if I need him.

So far I have not other than to help him sell a few.

I think the dealer service is just s important as the unit.

Go to the back room and talk to the service dept and get to know them It will help if you ever have a problem.

Had a starcraft one time bought new that was JUNK but they also have some good units We just got the lemon of the day I guess. Loved the trailer so much we kept it three years and NEVER had shore power due to wiring problems. <back when I was young and dumber

Mike
MRimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 05:35 PM   #10

Oh yes the fit and finish in our 04 is just as nice as the 94 we had at the same price.
MRimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:06 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
Should have mentioned that as well, our 05 is as good as our last trailer a terry resort 29'. However, there were a few flaws that our excellent dealer took great care of. My point is that you have to point them out.
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:20 AM   #12

Everyone,
Thank you for your comments. I am feeling better and more proud to be
a member of this group. I will do a through PDI with my husband. Our
dealer is a smaller but well established local that my husband has known
for years and even did some tire work for. So I feel real positive he would
try his best to help. I also thought it was good to start this thread so that
maybe people who are looking at other "sites" and are getting discouraged
about buying Forest River will hopefully land up here and see that some
things are "greener on the other side"

Thanks again,
NINA
Hitched up to a White 1999 F-150 Ext. Cab
Number of days camped in 2014-2
(4 more days reserved)
NINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:20 AM   #13

We traded in a 2000 Sunline for the Flagstaff 829FKSS we were not dissapointed. In fact our friend asked if we were sure what we werer doing. After he saw the Flagstaff and saw the fit & finish was as good as the Sunline he was impressed with the coach. (ps we had 3 Sunlines)
Larry
Old 04-24-2007, 05:50 PM   #14

Hi Nina I took delivery of a cherokee 5er on the 16th ,I used it this weekend and all I can find are small inperfection that the dealer will take care of. I think I seen the same thread your talking about in trailer life or something it had me worried too. !! just enjoy your new camper when it comes in and relax .
Old 04-24-2007, 08:56 PM   #15

this is rv#8 for the wife and I. I have had both top of the line and bottom of the barrel tt's. I am very satisfied with the quality fit and finish of the cherokee. It is better than the higher rated 2000 model brand X I traded in.
0627L is offline   Reply With Quote