Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2019, 06:53 PM   #41

I have had some slab settling issues with my house in the past, sheet rock cracks all over the place, and the slab settled less than 1 inch. I pull my Flagstaff at 65 mph for 100's of miles on pot hole ridden freeways for the last 2 years, get to my destination and everything is perfect. Built light, yes, but not cheap! It amazes me the amount of road abuse these things can take, stay together, and everything still work. Thanks Forest River, I will buy another Flagstaff or Rockwood in a heartbeat!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180730_122554.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	235.9 KB
ID:	207626  
Fishtexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:59 PM   #42

Junk camper

Glad to hear this from someone else.
My Fotest River was assembled with the poorest workmanship I ever seen. Leaky roof, leaky waterline, TV antenna connections wired wrong. I can name several other things.
I would never purchase anotherone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebees4 View Post
What does everyone think about their quality? I'm not very impressed. We had it for almost a year and it been back 4 times for warranty work. That brings up another problem. Dealer seems to have problems listening to what's needed. The one time that ticks me off probably the most is took it in for some roof issues and they replaced water tank. There was nothing wrong with water tank. To top that instead of removing screws from belly panel they cut it out with a knife and taped back together. Last trip we took it in for interior wall delamination and piece of trim that goes up front to roof that was 2" too short and they just fill gap with caulk. They never touched delamination issue. Now we have to wait on parts and take it back again. They are 2 hours one way. I wish I would have never seen a forest river. If it was a car it would qualify for lemon law.
rjconwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:04 PM   #43

The quality of most of the campers built today is less than we’d like to see after spending so much $. But that said, if you aren’t prepared to do a fair amount of work on it you shouldn’t have one. They all require a fairly well developed mechanical and trouble-shooting ability and willingness to get your hands dirty occasionally. Learn to enjoy working on your rig, you’ll be a lot happier!
2011 F250 2WD 6.7L Crew 3:35
Husky Centerline
reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:09 PM   #44

For the first time in my life, I guess I'm just flat lucky!
Fishtexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:15 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
For the cheap price point, FR is ok.
The RV industry is unregulated, much like the auto industry was in the 1950's.
No Lemon Law protection, no Monroney stickers, no online invoice reasearch, no factory warranty support of dealers and dealers who won't do warranty work on your rig unless you bought it from them.
I have learned you are expected to DIY any problems.
I didn't buy an Airstream.
Dude, is that you? Ron750. After looking at RVs, I’m reminded why I love my Harley. But I keep these forums in perspective. If I would have joined Harley forums before looking, I never would have bought the bike I love 8 years ago. I’m hoping to go to the Florida RV show in January, then I’ll be able to compare apples and oranges.
Ron750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:17 PM   #46

Forest River FR3

Not impressed at allwith quality of 2015 FR3. Purchased it new in 2014 and had to take it in severaltimes for issues. Genrrator never worked correctly from 1st day. Had to take it to licensed cummins repair shop. It cost me $2800 to get it right. I have under 10,000 miles on it now upholstery is deteriorated. Cheaply built class a. Don't buy this model.
s
Quote:
What does everyone think about their quality? I'm not very impressed. We had it for almost a year and it been back 4 times for warranty work. That brings up another problem. Dealer seems to have problems listening to what's needed. The one time that ticks me off probably the most is took it in for some roof issues and they replaced water tank. There was nothing wrong with water tank. To top that instead of removing screws from belly panel they cut it out with a knife and taped back together. Last trip we took it in for interior wall delamination and piece of trim that goes up front to roof that was 2" too short and they just fill gap with caulk. They never touched delamination issue. Now we have to wait on parts and take it back again. They are 2 hours one way. I wish I would have never seen a forest river. If it was a car it would qualify for lemon law.
Boudreauxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:23 PM   #47
Jenga Jack R-Pod puller

Owned a FR R-Pod for 4 years. Not a single issue.
Jenga Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:42 PM   #48

We bought a FR Coachman Galleria and had too many factory defects and a dealer that was much too frustrating. Never again will I use this dealer and never again a Coachman. A lght switch controlled the fridge and a counter light would not turn out. It took 2 trips to service dept to turn out the lights. Many other quality problems. The last straw was the passenger seat heater stopped working while still under warranty. Dealer started to take it apart and then told me it was a Mercedes issue. Went to Mercedes and was told it was a "after market" issue. I can't deal with either one, it is easier to live without a seat heater. Never again..
stephenpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:44 PM   #49

I had a Viking PU built in 1993. I traded it for a 2008 Rockwood Highwall PU. That was one of the worst mistakes I ever made! The canvas on the Rockwood has been nothing but pain since I owned it. Stitching came loose the first time I used it. Dealer had a sewing company fix it. I now carry a handy stitcher and have to repair a seam or two every time I use it. Always a factory seam. The repair sections are fine. But the thread on the factory seams are horrible. Then it developed a water leak by the door. Come to find out the seal on top of the door was not the proper seal for that door?? We have the winch motor and battery for lifting the top. The limit switches have never worked since I have owned it. Then Looking at the quality of the bench seats in the dinet slide out. 1 2x2 that makes the ledge for the plywood seat support has just 2 screws in it (probably glued as well). But the other 3 pieces (1 on same seat, and the 2 boards on the other seat have 3 screws. Now it's bad enough they are only using 3 screws on a board that is about 44" long. But it's clear the guy at the factory was too lazy to get 1 more screw. If you look closely at all the cabinets, they are cheaper than cheap construction wise. And this was supposed to be a "premium" model for a Pop-Up. Now at 11 years old, the floor is already soft at the entrance. My Viking over lots of use was still very solid, and it was a "cheap" model! The bunk ends are also an issue as the velcro for sealing the skirt from the end fabric only had about 4 staples its entire length. Again it was probably self sticking or glued. Well it didn't even last 2 years before starting to fall off. Same with the Velcro on the flaps that go over the uprights on the top. It started to loose its attachment strength within a couple years of just light use. Now they are basically useless. I always wanted a Rockwood HW. Now I need to decide if I want to order a new fabric set and change it out. Or cut my losses and get something better and try to sell this to someone as a fixer-upper. And I can guarantee it will not be another Rockwood! The only thing good about the camper is the stove, fridge, and heater have not given me an issue. But all of those are made by outside vendors selling to Rockwood / Forest River. I still have all my tents (4 of various sizes) and we still tent camp depending on what activity we are doing. It may be time to cut losses and just tent camp again from now on. Not sure the convenience of a camper is worth it.
benhasajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:52 PM   #50

Different experience

I have a Flagstaff to, and about 2 years after buying it new, it developed some delamination above the slide. The independent repair shop that works on it for me (not a Flagstaff dealer) coordinated with my original dealer to convey that the roof was improperly applied. Forest River sent a driver out from Indiana to Massachusetts to pick it up, took it back and replaced all four walls and the roof before delivering it back to MA. All on their dime. Just sayin’.
runner2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:12 PM   #51

Quote:

As they dominate more and more of the sales market, they care less and less about quality.

Buyers don't demand it, so why should they bother ?

Once you leave the lot........you are on your own.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:13 PM   #52

fly6

Heck when I took my new Cedar Creek to the dealer for a. tire wear issue I was told I turn to many corners and they would not do anything. Finally after several calls to the factory I took it to a different dealer to get to
the axel changed
mike lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:18 PM   #53

Quote:
Fact...After buying several Forest River products, take this to the bank " The same models coming off production line are ALL DIFFERENT ! aaand Forest River does not know the meaning of " Quality Control ! " Your Dealer will also borrow parts from your trailer to satisfy another customers requirement ! Its Happened to a couple of friends of mine already. Prompting placement of ID stickers and photos " Before Service and warning dealer s GET VERY FAMILIAR WITH ALL YOUR SYSTEMS AND MAINTENANCE CRITERIA !...juice
juice5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:24 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by danking49 View Post
They consistently leave the last 200' of their production line for the dealer and buyer. Burned twice, never again.
Thanks, danking49, we just got our mess back from 3rd rebuild, if it goes south now, we're carrying this Sumbitch back to Elkhart and gonna have a long talk!!![emoji16][emoji16]
g gunnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:25 PM   #55

We got a 2020 Surveyor a few weeks back, and so far, mostly good with ours. It has the shower drain issue most new Surveyors seem to have (the P-trap doesn't align with the hole in the floor like it should), so I've got it braced while I get the proper parts to fix it.

The bathroom door sticks a touch if the camper isn't perfectly level, one of the boards under the dinette was cut too wide and pushing the trim off (I removed the board and cut it to the proper size), the bottom bunk supports had screws that had missed the mark and a board that was completely unsupported on one end. Fixed that. The outlet on the side of the front countertop L was hanging half out exposing the wires (fixed this during PDI). The wires up on the tongue were nearly dragging (I fixed that), the grommet for the manual override on the slide was installed half out (making noise) and the slide stop was loose.

And the fake walls inside the cabinets...clearly just thrown in by someone "eyeballing" it. Fixed that stuff too. All that's left is the P-trap, and I expect to get many good years of use. Yes, the roof has a few bubbles in it, and there is A LOT of caulk, but you know what? It doesn't leak. I don't care if the roof is pretty, so long as it works.

All told, I have about a weekends worth of effort into fixing all the little stuff. I could have gotten it done under warranty, sure, but now I've torn into just about every corner of my new trailer...so I know how it's put together, and I know where everything is.

Next up I'm going to stain all the bare wood under cushions to help seal it, and install the equaflex suspension parts I have. It'd be nice if I didn't have to deal with all of this stuff, but I knew what I was getting into before I bought. I went through my 2011 R-pod like this when it was new also, then had 8 years of completely trouble free ownership afterward.
FISHTAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:25 PM   #56

Quality

I have a 2008 Cardnal 31 LE. I have had this sense and only a couple minor issues the quality of work is excellent and Forest River has always responded to me as far as help and direction to go on getting a minor problem or issue fixed.
slalonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:29 PM   #57

I have a Forest River Rockwood 2604WS. I bought it used so if there was warranty work done it was taken care of before I bought it. I have had a couple minor things that needed to be repaired but I took care of them myself. Overall I am very happy with it.
Bob Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:31 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalonde View Post
I have a 2008 Cardnal 31 LE. I have had this sense and only a couple minor issues the quality of work is excellent and Forest River has always responded to me as far as help and direction to go on getting a minor problem or issue fixed.
Actually, this brings up something worth mentioning. Forest River has been absolutely fantastic with information, help, and more when it comes to all the dealings I've had so far. I've probably got over a months worth of emails about torque specs, wiring locations and plumbing locations, you name it, and they have been nothing but helpful. My dealer has been good about this also. The only missed mark so far was they attempted to mail me the plumbing parts needed to fix my above p-trap, but combined my request for two parts, into a single one, and....well at least they tried. I'm sure I could bug them again and get it straight, but for 5 bucks worth of parts I won't bother. I'd rather say thanks and maintain a good relationship.
FISHTAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:32 PM   #59

Well, I have a FR Flagstaff e-pro 12RK. It's just a little tiny thing (11 feet in length) with a double bed and some storage shelves inside and a rear kitchen on the back. Not much to it, really. And so one wouldn't expect that much could go wrong with it. But, I had it a year (took 3 trips with it during that year - around 9000 miles total) and then one day I happened to open up the rear kitchen door and oh my! The storage shelf and the microwave were falling down from the ceiling! Had I driven a few more miles down the road, the microwave and everything else would have come trashing down! As it turned out, there was no bracing behind the wall where the microwave was installed; only a handful of screws were holding the microwave up! This was obviously a build and quality control issue.

I have come to the conclusion after talking with others (especially family members), that the RV industry as a whole has issues with quality control. It's a shame. But, at least after reading some of the comments in this blog, it's nice to know that there are some people who have been fortunate enough to get units with only minor flaws or none at all.

Oh, by the way, my unit has been repaired. Praying it will hold up for all my trips to come!
Bev4banff53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:53 PM   #60
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Our roof and the slide leaked like crazy because there was nothing to prevent it, you know, like caulk and sealant. The air-conditioner/heat pump didn't work at all and the second one broke right away. Fresh water pump has been replaced. And other things I can't think of right now.

It's sagging in the back and the suspension guy says it was built weak, we don't know if we want to keep it long enough to spend up to $2000. We weigh regularly and we just now got overweight.

But I really like it, it's so fun It's like labor pains I think. You go through hell, but when it works, you're SO happy, you forget.

Tags
forest river, quality