Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2020, 07:06 PM   #41

Forest River needs to work on their quality control. I have had many problems with my unit. I have repaired most of them my self and the dealer has taken care of the rest. I wrote an e-mail to FR and listed all the problems I had and they never responded to me. I would not buy another one.
wrmyers3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:10 PM   #42

If you're not handy, get owner recommendations on dealers who have reliable, quick service departments. Nothing comes off the lot in perfect condition - we know folks who have waited months to get their trailer back from warranty work after bringing it in a week after it was purchased.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:10 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve08 View Post
Yes it's true. Never buy new. We bought a 2019 3271sf Forester. Spent 3 and a half months in the shop the first year and a half. Couldn't get anyone to do warranty work when we were on the road. Had to take it back to the dealership we bought it at. After 2 years we finally got everything fixed that the factory screwed up. Now we are wore out and our health has gone down hill. It's up for sale. We didn't get to enjoy it much. The next person that buys it will be worry and trouble free. This is true about most people that bought new no matter what they paid for it. The expensive ones are the same.
The FORD part of the RV is the best thing about the RV.....
Steve08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:13 PM   #44

Smile Great RV BUT... No Q.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramic71 View Post
Hi. I am only asking this question because I hate wasting hard earned money. I have been reading some really bad reviews about Forest River, and their lack of quality and customers service/warranty. Would you purchase another Forest River product, or would you look elsewhere? I am just looking for honest opinions. They have the floorplans that I love, but I am not looking for something that is going to give me constant issues. Thank you
Bought a 2020 Alpha Wolf 27RK-L. Love it BUT it's obvious that the guy that does the QC checks is drinking buddies with the guys that build them. ZERO Q.C. I fixed a ton of things myself because I didn't want to wait for the dealer to 'half-ass' fix all the details. A 13.5 AC keeps it cool even on hot days because of the 2 inch thick Styrofoam walls. It's all aluminum rails to. Only wood in floor. Great floor plan BUT just plan on having sow's ear that can be made into a silk purse with some work. Quality of materials is crap but it's light weight so I can't bitch. I also read reviews about how bad their QC was BUT no one ever mentioned that QC DID NOT exist. I spent over 300 hours investigating a variety of RV's ,narrow to three and choose the Alpha Wolf 27rk-l because of the weight of 6,15o and tongue weight of 400 lbs. Have a 2001 YukonXL with tow package with 9,100 lb capacity. I'm at 75% capacity and it pulls fine. Just 'hack' the AC plenum if you get one like this, the air will come out very well thru all the vents. Good luck.
PaulandCindyAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:18 PM   #45

We have a FR MBS 2016 we bought in August 2015! 2 Coast to Coast Trips & back to California and other trips! We have warranty & extended warranties on both the MB & House! The dealer you buy from is just as important as the RV maker! Our RV dealer has been first rate for 5 years! A smaller dealer with sales & service locally (Norms RV Poway, CA)! They have eaten the cost when FB put up a fight to not pay! We wouldnít go anywhere else for sales or service! Local huge dealerships not at all! Plus, you never hear much from happy customers! More from dissatisfied customers! Another point: donít go easy on your walk-thru! Make copious notes! If the dealer presses you for a quick walk thru, walk away! Donít accept the RV until all the work has been completed! Then take a camping trip locally o in your driveway! Then back to the dealer! Dan
Dan n Gerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:23 PM   #46

They are all poorly built

Don't worry about the factory build, they are all basically the same. I subscribed to many of the brand forums back when I was shopping and you see the same complaints every where. Concentrate on the sellers reputation. I bought out of state for the best price. Luckily for me the local dealer doesn't care where I got it, he knows I'll be back if he treats me right. Look at it this way, if you bought something built well you probably couldn't afford it. Old saying, you can have it Good, or you can have it Cheap, or you can have it Quick; pick two. The RV industry is based on quick and cheap!
Dovidas1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:34 PM   #47
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovidas1944 View Post
Don't worry about the factory build, they are all basically the same. I subscribed to many of the brand forums back when I was shopping and you see the same complaints every where.
So true! I too have been on many other brand and non-brand RV forums and they have the same kind of complaints that you see here.
This forum is often the first or only RV forum that many have been to. They have no idea that the grass is not greener on the other side of the fence.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:36 PM   #48

So I can be one that had a good experience and then a bad experience. In 2002 we bought our first Forest River product, a 32' tow behind, nothing but good stories and memories a matter of fact I sold it to a friend for a hunting camp and 5 years later he is still enjoying it. Now other than routine maintenance items and an incident with a tree limb falling through the roof we had no issues at all.

Now the nightmare story, in 2015 we upgraded and bought our first 5th wheel, a Crusader Lite, nothing but a piece of crap even to the point that one manager at the dealer started the paperwork to replace it until it was shot down by another, now that another story by itself.

The short of my comment is and especially now when manufactures can not keep up the demand and they are spitting out units like "**** through a goose", the bottom line is if and when you do find a unit do not and I repeat do not sign any papers until the unit is 100%. I ended up going back and forth with the dealer and the manufacture for over 2 years until I took a large financial hit and traded it in on a Heartland, not saying I have not had a couple loose screws type minor issues but what I do have is a much better quality unit.

One very important item here is and I read it on this site is, "every manufacture and camper will have it's issues the important part is the dealer you buy it from and how they take care of it".

Happy hunting, be careful and good luck.
skipatroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:40 PM   #49

Forest River Quality

I've had my 2020 FR Toy Hauler for just over a year. It has spent more time in the CW service/repair "parking lot" than it has in front of my house. Yes, probably all manufacturers are cutting corners now with the high demand for trailers. But, mine was pre-COVID! Would I buy FR again? NO!!! I would also spend more $$ for a 3+ season or 4 season model. They have to be more structurally sound. No matter what brand you buy, it helps to be handy. I'm still putting staples into the loose wood panels secured with only nails. It's not poor quality control. It's NO quality control. And plan on vacuuming up all of the construction materials left under and behind every floor and panel area you can't see until you start opening them up.
IDRVer_lovinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:42 PM   #50

I like ours but there are things that could be better. My big bitch is I need a great manual because I do all my own work. Iím very unhappy that I canít get wiring schematic for my 2015 sandpiper er355. I was told it was to old then I was told the electricians were just turned loose to wire it the way they wanted. What kind of person builds trailers without guild lines. Even plumbing paths this could make It so much easier.
Eromallag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:47 PM   #51

Quote:
Hi. I am only asking this question because I hate wasting hard earned money. I have been reading some really bad reviews about Forest River, and their lack of quality and customers service/warranty. Would you purchase another Forest River product, or would you look elsewhere? I am just looking for honest opinions. They have the floorplans that I love, but I am not looking for something that is going to give me constant issues. Thank you
I have a simple cargo trailer that is built by Forest River, and labeled for Blaines Farm & Fleet. I have ZERO complaints on it, it is well made for the price. Because of that, AND the nice floorplans, I decided to shop FR Arctic Wolf. Interior wise, the cabinets are no different than the other manufacturers, wall construction is basically the exact same material and construction type, appliances and furniture is pretty much all the same manufacturer between just about all brands, Exterior walls are same construction type, and depending on price level the outer sheathing may be a higher or lower quality material, some use Azdel, some basic fiberglass laminate, etc. so what it really comes down to is price and warranty.

We did a side by side between a Keystone model and the Arctic Fox we finally decided on and the Forest River was better built, yet the Keystone was nearly the same price but a smaller trailer. The cabinets in the Arctic Wolf were solid, you closed the doors and they made a nice solid thunk, in the Keystone, they rattled when you opened and closed them. The trim in the Keystone was put on crooked and was falling off in places. I would say the only up thumb was the upgraded suspension and a more enhanced remote control panel for the slides and auto level. IOW higher price doesn't mean better quality.

Regardless of MSRP, Every Single Trailer, from one manufacturer to the next employ the exact same construction techniques, none use automation for precision control like auto manufacturers, they build them as fast as possible so mistakes are made, be it a lowly Dutchmen to an Arctic Fox or even a VanLiegh. Where some shine is in the PPI and they correct the issues before it leaves the plant.

You can buy an $80K trailer that looks nice, but spends the first year in the shop because it was poorly built, and then again can buy a $20K trailer that hasn't had a single issue. That's the reality of the RV market, it's a crap shoot regardless of who makes it.

What you are really looking for is who is selling the trailer and how well did they do a PDI when it was delivered, DID they do a PDI when it was delivered or did they just park it on the lot until it was sold and THEN did the PDI and forces the buyer to wait for the repairs to be done before they can take delivery.

As far as their warranty goes, expect a long lead time. That is just the way it is now with Covid. When I did the PDI on my Arctic Wolf I found several items in need of replacement and found out they don't PDI when delivered prior to selling, and they missed several key items, such as 3 bad cables on two of the slides. There were a few minor issues such as someone used a solvent on a rag to wipe the face of the radio marring the crap out of it, and a cracked trim ring in the shower. It took 5 weeks for the cables to arrive, and another 2 weeks to get a slot to do the work, but thankfully they had already processed the paperwork on the warranty so they only needed 4 days to complete all the work. Again, warranty work comes down to the dealer doing it.

If you find a trailer you like, just give it a really good look, make sure it is all tight, nothing hanging loose, everything works right, and by all means, compare it to other brands just to be sure. Also don't worry about the saw dust, you will find it in every trailer you look at, just the way it is.

On our Arctic Wolf, it's not perfect, there are bulges under the skin where the wall sections were joined and the skin put over it. I had to make some adjustments to the AC units because they didn't tape them well enough, which is quite common on all brands, and there are a few things that could have been better made or designed, and the living area floor floats above the frame due to the weight of the sides, but it's a $40K 5th wheel, and it is HUGE, 43' long, 14,000 GVWR, and it was exactly what we were looking for. We have had two trips so far, and we are really enjoying it. Is it perfect, nope, but it does exactly what we want it to, and that is the most important thing.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:50 PM   #52

We took delivery of a new 2021 Flagstaff 25BRDS at the end of August. There's some minor build quality and QC issues: there's some exposed angle iron on the dinette that can cut your calf, the underbelly enclosure popped a rivet, and the kitchen faucet had a leak on the cold water line that caused the cabinet wood to swell.

None of the above was trip stopping, so I took pictures, wrote our dealer and documented the issues, and set up a date a month in the future in between camping trips to get it repaired. I just dropped it off on Tuesday and they're supposed to have it in 10 days so we can make our next camping trip.

Overall, I've been pleased. I fixed the leak while camping so no more damage would occur. The other items are pretty minor. And our dealer appears to be top notch and very responsive.

Oh yeah, one other thing - we cracked the panel board under a dinette cushion while kneeling on it - mostly because it's about the strength and thickness of cardboard. I'm replacing it with 3/8 or 1/2" plywood. No big deal.

I expected issues when I bought the trailer. I'm not very handy but can do some work, and I've been pleased with the lack of issues so far. I also sealed everyplace I could when I got it home to help keep water out - basically anywhere that had factory sealant I added another layer.
Fatboy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:56 PM   #53

Forest River

Yes, I would purchase a Forest River product again. We've had a few issues, but nothing unexpected. We've also owned Jayco, Grand Design and Starcraft brands in the past.

People who have problems post. People who love their units and have minimum issues don't usually go online to tell everyone how great their experience is. So forums tend to fill up with negative posts. Look on any manufacturers forum and you will see the same thing.

Check the unit out before leaving the lot and try to find a good dealer and you'll be fine with a Forest River product.
Mart38655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:01 PM   #54

I have owned 3 FR products. All have been Cedar Creeks. I have found the quality excellent but when there is an issue how it is dealt with makes the difference. I happened to have an excellent dealer who deals with all issues and resolves them.

Dan and Carol
2019 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/4x4/long box
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway 38FLX
Full timers since May 2019
Axeman49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:12 PM   #55

My wife and I have been camping since 2007 when we purchased our first camper. The camper was a Fleetwood Sea Pine popup. It was a great little camper. We camped in that trailer until 2018. From purchase to selling, we had very little problems with that camper. There was a couple of items but very little.

In 2017 my wife decided it was time to graduate to a little different camper. We purchased a 2017 Flatstaff 21FBRS. When we ordered it, we had a really great experience from our dealer on the south east side of Indianapolis. We actually made a couple of changes after it had been ordered and the dealer made sure everything was right.

We picked up our camper in December of 2017 and being too cold for us, we waited until the following May to take the camper out. On the first trip out, the electronic board on the gas side of the hot water heater blew.....not Forest Rivers fault. However, the leaking antenna that we found on the first rain event of the first trip was their fault. We took this back to the dealer and this is when out problems really started....The dealer had the camper for about 2 weeks. They called us and told us it was finished. When we got to the dealer to pick it up, I immediately knew it was not finished. Why did they call? Apparently they forgot to order the board. Another two weeks.

On the second trip out we started to blow the breaker and GFI. After disconnecting the trailing outlets we finished out camping trip. We took it back to the dealer for this problem about four times. At this point, I called Forest River. I spoke with someone in the engineering team about the issue and suggested that they give me another camper. After being in the service department for a total of 5 months for this issue, it got fixed in about 3 days after I called Forest River. Apparently when building the trailer they set the wall on top of the 110 line. While this issue was fixed within 3 days, when I went to pick the trailer up and checking over the work, I noticed that the service department had broken literally all of the outlets. They would not stay tight in the hole...they are pretty cheap.

After the the service department "fixed" these issues (not really, I replaced most of them) We took the trailer out for one last trip. Towards the end of the warranty period, I had the trailer back in to get the roof re-caulked. At this point, the service tech caulked the tv antenna. Kind of hard for it to rotate. The dealer then had to replace it. However, I had the same situation as before, I received a call that it was completed and when I went to pick it up, it was not finished. As a matter of fact, it was sitting out side in the rain with a 4 inch hole in the roof where they did not replace the antenna.

All this being said. As one responder noted, that trailer is in an earthquake every time you take it out. There are going to be problems. After our first year, we have had two broken fender skirts. That and minor annual caulking is all I have completed.

We are happy with the trailer, after we got all the kinks worked out. It has been fine since. I think that overall, Forest River did produce a pretty good product...after the kinks. I think that most of the materials are of reasonably good quality. There are always the cheaper plastic parts, like the fender skirts, that will get damaged easily.

We did purchase the Forest River, Flagstaff, because the quality of the material was better than some of the cheaper trailers.

I would purchase another Forest River. They were very responsive to me and my problems. Once Forest River got involved, the issues with the electric were fixed.

However, I would not purchase from this dealer again. Their service is terrible. It got so bad on the last issue, I felt like Chevy Chase in Christmas Vacation, the living room scene where Clark throws a fit. This is what it looked like when I found it had been sitting outside with a hole in the roof. I had everyone lined up in a row railing them from the service scheduler to the general manager. Looking back, it was quite ugly and very embarrassing for me.
DanMistyMiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:14 PM   #56

The most important thing in my opinion is the dealership, yes all RV's have issues they are man-made.

A good customer service minded dealer make the issues barrable.
JimEastTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:19 PM   #57
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Im on my 3rd FR product and each of the ones I had purchased had hardly any issues. The one I have now is probably one of the best built campers I've bought from FR. The name says a lot Shasta which has been around for a long time and FR bought them out but the quality is still there. I love it. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-6 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:23 PM   #58

Quote:
They all suck. Airstream might be better, but I don't have that kind of money.
rwriley1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:30 PM   #59

Agree with above. The dealer service makes all the difference.

Ive had a 2706 with a few issues and FR took care of the problems thanks to the dealer.

We currently have he 8326BHS and love it. We had a few issues. Took it back to the dealer after camping season was over and all issues are being taking care of.
IMO FR is good quality compared to other manufactures. But more important is the dealer. They are the ones who will take care of you more then anyone else.
JMO.
Good day.
pojp58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:41 PM   #60

Quote:
We have a 2005 37' RDQS and have been quite satisfied with it. I have been hearing from people that the newer ones, 2017-2019 have had quite a few quality issues. As you know Berkershire Hathaway purchased Forest River and they are churning them out faster to achieve higher sales to satisfy their stockholders. One guy purchased a brand new 2018 and found 27 things wrong with it on his maiden voyage. That is unacceptable imho.
desuhu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river, quality