Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2020, 06:03 PM   #1

Forest River Quality

Hi. I am only asking this question because I hate wasting hard earned money. I have been reading some really bad reviews about Forest River, and their lack of quality and customers service/warranty. Would you purchase another Forest River product, or would you look elsewhere? I am just looking for honest opinions. They have the floorplans that I love, but I am not looking for something that is going to give me constant issues. Thank you
Bramic71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:16 PM   #2
PhD, Common Sense

People who have a bad experience are far more likely to write a review than people who have a good experience.

Check out some of the threads here that start off complaining about Forest River. Invariably, many more folks with positive comments respond.

Will your RV have problems? Yep. That is the nature of a very lightweight house on wheels being dragged about the countryside. If facing challenges is a major concern, then a hobby other than camping would be a better use of one’s time.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:26 PM   #3

I would guess that no matter what brand you buy or how much you spend you will have problems. Let's face it, these things are being bounced around at 60+ miles per hour on roads that aren't much better than the dirt roads of the past. I'm surprised any of them stay together. Yes..I would purchase another Forest River product. We have had great luck with our Surveyor.
If you are not handy I would hope you have a lot of money and can wait for your unit to get out of the shop. Doing small repairs yourself is the best answer.
Old 10-01-2020, 06:29 PM   #4

In my experience, fifth wheel and travel trailer owners need to go into a purchase/ownership with eyes wide open, realizing there are going to be issues and repairs. Most of us take this in full stride, leave home equipped and prepared with tools and parts and decades of experience with these things....and fully capable of working through most issues with a minimum of fuss and frustration.

On the other side of the coin, it seems that the huge increase in recreational vehicle demand, coupled with the abysmal manufacturing model that many Forest River manufacturing plants use.....quantity-fast-cheap....has lead to a significant increase in quality issues and a lot of dealers are overwhelmed with repairs that they have neither the qualified personnel, or the parts supply chain to support.

So if you are patient, talented, handy....dive in and deal with it. If you expect a fool proof product without issues, better find another hobby.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:30 PM   #5

I bought my Rockwood 2608BS almost a year ago. I have been VERY happy with the build quality. I have had a few minor issues but overall the quality has been excellent and if it were stolen, I would most likely buy another one.
Minor issues include a dripping faucet (replaced the seal) and a few loose screws after longer drives or rough roads. That's about all.
Charlie
Falconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:45 PM   #6

We've had TT's from several manufactures over the years and overall I'd say say quality is not as good now as it was say 10 years ago (my belief is that making trailers lighter so a 1/2 ton or SUV can tow it has a lot to do with it). If you go to other manufacturers forums I think you'll find that all have a fair share of complaints about quality and many threads on "how do I fix this?". As others have said, if you're handy, patient and give the RV you're buying a good going over before signing the check, you should be well on your way to being a happy camper.
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:54 PM   #7

Thank you all for the replies. I do expect to have some problems, and am capable of making minor repairs. Just didnt want to spend more time in the shop than on the road. Now that would be frustrating.
Bramic71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:02 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramic71 View Post
Thank you all for the replies. I do expect to have some problems, and am capable of making minor repairs. Just didnt want to spend more time in the shop than on the road. Now that would be frustrating.
Time in the shop may get a little long for any repairs these days due to an increase in RV sales and service. You should probably scope out your dealer's service department.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:54 PM   #9

Wolf Pup

First time out shade broke, the plate around the water heater came loose (screw was stripped), lower drains both leaked,toilet leaked, shower leaked. Camping World claims this was all checked before delivery. Sure it was.��
timz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:56 PM   #10

We purchased an FR3 30DS in late 2018. Loved the floor plan. Terrible coach. A distaste by any measure. I would not recommend it and if we had to do it again we would definitely look for another line and probably spent a bit more money and get a higher quality make/model. YMMV. But probably won’t.
borismkogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:03 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by borismkogan View Post
We purchased an FR3 30DS in late 2018. Loved the floor plan. Terrible coach. A distaste by any measure. I would not recommend it and if we had to do it again we would definitely look for another line and probably spent a bit more money and get a higher quality make/model. YMMV. But probably won’t.
Do yourself a favor and check user forum sites for those other lines. See if they have any similar issues.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Old 10-01-2020, 08:10 PM   #12

Quote:
This part is the crap shoot... as you mentioned earlier you expect and can make minor repairs, and you probably will. Will a major problem sideline the trailer for a long period of time? Well it certainly could.

Doing some investigation of the dealer and their service department would be where I would start before even finalizing a deal on an RV. Talk to owners and see what they say and would they recommend the dealership.

Finally do a complete and through what is called PDI, ( pre-delivery inspection) prior to taking delivery and handing over any money.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:12 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramic71 View Post
Hi. I am only asking this question because I hate wasting hard earned money. I have been reading some really bad reviews about Forest River, and their lack of quality and customers service/warranty. Would you purchase another Forest River product, or would you look elsewhere? I am just looking for honest opinions. They have the floorplans that I love, but I am not looking for something that is going to give me constant issues. Thank you
You do know that FR has nearly 100 different brands right?
And have you read any reviews of Thor Industries RVs or just FR.
Have you been on other RV forums, like RV.net? If you haven't, you'd see complaints and bad reviews in EVERY brand of RV. Even the sacred Airstream and Winnebago and million dollar Marathons.
Go to Jayco forums and you'll see the same kind of negative reviews and complaints.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Do yourself a favor and check user forum sites for those other lines. See if they have any similar issues.

2 years into it, multiple trips to device dealers and one long stay at the factory I think most of the issues have been fixed. We are going to sell it and put that experience behind us. One day I’ll post a recap of our ordeal. I guarantee few if any owners have had anything similar to what we went through.
borismkogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:37 PM   #15

poor quality

"You do know that FR has nearly 100 different brands right?
Have you been on other RV forums, like RV.net? If you haven't, you'd see complaints and bad reviews in EVERY brand of RV. Even the sacred Airstream and Winnebago and million dollar Marathons.
Go to Jayco forums and you'll see the same kind of negative reviews and complaints."

so we should expect and accept poor quality because they all do it?
Old 10-01-2020, 08:53 PM   #16

pitzhauler

i have owned 2 fr models ,an yes i would buy another if i desired. 1st was a travel trailer ,owned it 14 years , camped all summer long with it . bought a new toyhauler like it better. way more room for us . deck just added to our lifestyle.
pitzhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:01 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by timz View Post
"You do know that FR has nearly 100 different brands right?
Go to Jayco forums and you'll see the same kind of negative reviews and complaints."

What is your solution to this issue that's been discussed here many times over the past 8 years?

Old 10-01-2020, 09:04 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by timz View Post

Never said that. My point is that this is not just a FR issue, it's an Industry-wide issue. But as long as the public keeps buying them, at record numbers, manufacturers have no incentive to make improvements.
And there won't be any foreign competition, to force them to improve, like the Japanese did to the American Auto Industry.
That said, both my FR trailers had few issues that were fixed under warranty. But I'm definitely not brand loyal, as I'm currently looking at buying an Open Range Light 5th Wheel. Just lucky with the two I've had.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
What is your solution to this issue that's been discussed here many times over the past 8 years?
quit buying them
Old 10-01-2020, 09:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Never said that. My point is that this is not just a FR issue, it's an Industry-wide issue. But as long as the public keeps buying them, at record numbers, manufacturers have no incentive to make improvements.
And there won't be any foreign competition, to force them to improve, like the Japanese did to the American Auto Industry.
That said, both my FR trailers had few issues that were fixed under warranty. But I'm definitely not brand loyal. Just lucky with the two.

you are spot on

Tags
forest river, quality