Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 12:35 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
It doesn't take much reading of posts on this forum to figure out that from the smallest trailers to the Berkshires - there are problems with quality on everything FR makes. Delaminated walls, water leaks galore, improper to dangerous wiring, poor to non-existent warranty service, component failure, lousy build quality - you name it - it's being posted here daily.

Size of the company matters nothing. Fiat-Chrysler is a huge company, yet their products routinely end up at the bottom of the quality lists of most of the consumer publications.

Ban me if you want, but you folks that continue to spout the rhetoric about how great this company is, how great their products are and how well they take care of anyone with issues - you aren't seeing what I'm seeing in the multitude of posts from owners with serious issues.
Oh boy do I agree with you! Purchased a 2016 FR Georgetown and it is a piece of sheet.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:45 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaharleys View Post
Bought a 378 Georgetown XL Black Diamond. Great vehicle after the dealer and FR fixed several items. Good luck and happy trails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaharleys View Post
Oh boy do I agree with you! Purchased a 2016 FR Georgetown and it is a piece of sheet.
Please tell us the story of what happened to turn the great vehicle into the piece of sheet in about 5 weeks?
Old 08-05-2016, 01:29 PM   #43
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I've had more RVs than I can recall since the 70s. Those old ones were built 10 X better IMO. Never had the problems of today. Of the last 4~ FR, Heartland, FR, Keystone. Both FR had minor problems that required dealer to repair. The Heartland did not see the dealer until it was traded in. The Keystone had 1 problem Atwood took care of without dealer intervention. That does not mean FR is any worse than the others. I'll consider FR on my next purchase also. That also does not mean the current 5er will not develop a problem with the build. No one can fault any builder for the problems of suppliers ~~ HWT, furnace, refer, etc. Those complaints need brought to the attention of the supplier and builder but there are few for builders to choose from.
One thing ~~~ from the time the Heartland and Keystone were bought there was never build dust, excess screws, staples, saw dust or insulation floating around.
I have been buying, rebuilding and generally messing about with RV's since the late 1970's. I would not say they were 10X better. I have pictures from a 1975 Airstream that shows lack of QC and poor engineering. I have pictures from a 2000 Coleman Niagara along with additional documentation of poor engineering and construction. Remember the Coleman ABS popup tops fiasco? The late 60's and early 70's rear bath Pathfinders were notorious for having leaks that rotted out the rear bath floors and the list goes on. RV's today have gotten much more complex and they are building a lot more of them. They are by no means perfect and there is plenty of room for improvement.

I purchased my 2016 Coachmen Concord AFTER I had done a thorough inspection, I have found that most dealers do an inadequate PDI. I gave them the list and told them when I came back that it would be complete or no deal. I did another walk through prior to final pickup, at that time there was only a single item that wasn't working. I told them it was minor enough that they could ship me the part and I would call it good. If there had been any major issues with slides, roof, etc I would not have purchased the unit.

I am happy with my unit and the PDI list was minimal, mostly cosmetics. The amount of sawdust and such was also minimal on my first walk through and the build quality was acceptable. Could they have done better? There is always room for improvement.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
Old 08-06-2016, 08:29 AM   #44
ARLO

Same problem. Same great service. Our trailer was one year out of warranty and they did the same thing for us.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:07 AM   #45
2017 WORK and PLAY 38RSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by flugelboneman View Post
Just wondering if the new quality control center advocated by Warren Buffett when he became involved in the company is operational. If it is, something is wrong. Just view a 2016 Forrest River product and was very disappointed. Very poor fit and finish, vinyl wrapped around screws in cabinets, shoddy joining of panels, door not aligned. It looks like the kind of poor finish that a quality control component would pick up. My 2010 2503s seems to have been built better than this unit. Very disappointing, especially if one is looking to upgrade.
I can honestly answer that with NO! I just received a 2017 Work & Play 38RLS fifth wheel. Here is a list of problems I found after delivery, and then on the first trip:

· Garage bed motor failed/ limit switch not set?
· Garage bed hole in mattress & tear underneath
· Bump out couch fell on floor when son rolled over/ripped trim off wall & hurt my son
· Transfer switch failed from under voltage/improper gen. connections heating up
· Bath fan handle missing
· Garage ramp nut assembly missing
· Cable tv wiring all wrong (in to out, out to in, tv to sat)
· Garage door different key than other entry door?
· Garage light switch on opposite side of entry door?
· Fuel station pump hose bent/kinked shut
· Screws loose in ceiling
· Shower door trim falling off
· Wood and metal shavings all over floor, walls, bump out
· Tire wrench too short to lower/raise spare tire
· No bracing in wall for tv prep
· Shower track screw cover missing
· Holes in wall under blinds at dinette table from improper install
· All battery connections loose, positive cable fell out of crimp on battery shut off switch
· Battery cover not installed
· 15 amp fuses (20 or more) fell out of the trailer body?
· Wall paper in garage has hole in it
· Gas regulator failed(free flowing propane out site window), so no range or heat first trip out
· Water heater light doesn’t work
· Battery disconnect off/battery still feeds inside?
· No lock on bath door/made to sleep 8?
· Generator connections not tight/burnt off wirenuts(3” of wire stripped connections made with tape, not wire nut)
· Generator starter connection only finger tight
· Generator harness wrapped around engine head, wires and loom melted to engine
· Water heater overpressure valve free flowing when water is turned on
· 4” chunk of steel frame fell out on road(from hole cut in frame for spare tire)

Then to add the icing on the cake I may have to drive 11 hours to get the warranty work fixed because all of the dealers where I live are telling me no, they will not touch it or it will be over a year before they can even look at my RV. But at this point I would rather do the repairs myself that way I know I will not die in an electrical fire while camping! If Forest River is pushing out RV's that are essentially a DIY kit on delivery, they should not be allowed to charge full price.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:27 AM   #46

So other than that...

How are you enjoying your quality FR product?
Old 08-07-2016, 03:09 PM   #47

We must band together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gberge View Post
I can honestly answer that with NO! I just received a 2017 Work & Play 38RLS fifth wheel. Here is a list of problems I found after delivery, and then on the first trip:

· Garage bed motor failed/ limit switch not set?
· Garage bed hole in mattress & tear underneath
· Bump out couch fell on floor when son rolled over/ripped trim off wall & hurt my son
· Transfer switch failed from under voltage/improper gen. connections heating up
· Bath fan handle missing
· Garage ramp nut assembly missing
· Cable tv wiring all wrong (in to out, out to in, tv to sat)
· Garage door different key than other entry door?
· Garage light switch on opposite side of entry door?
· Fuel station pump hose bent/kinked shut
· Screws loose in ceiling
· Shower door trim falling off
· Wood and metal shavings all over floor, walls, bump out
· Tire wrench too short to lower/raise spare tire
· No bracing in wall for tv prep
· Shower track screw cover missing
· Holes in wall under blinds at dinette table from improper install
· All battery connections loose, positive cable fell out of crimp on battery shut off switch
· Battery cover not installed
· 15 amp fuses (20 or more) fell out of the trailer body?
· Wall paper in garage has hole in it
· Gas regulator failed(free flowing propane out site window), so no range or heat first trip out
· Water heater light doesn’t work
· Battery disconnect off/battery still feeds inside?
· No lock on bath door/made to sleep 8?
· Generator connections not tight/burnt off wirenuts(3” of wire stripped connections made with tape, not wire nut)
· Generator starter connection only finger tight
· Generator harness wrapped around engine head, wires and loom melted to engine
· Water heater overpressure valve free flowing when water is turned on
· 4” chunk of steel frame fell out on road(from hole cut in frame for spare tire)

Then to add the icing on the cake I may have to drive 11 hours to get the warranty work fixed because all of the dealers where I live are telling me no, they will not touch it or it will be over a year before they can even look at my RV. But at this point I would rather do the repairs myself that way I know I will not die in an electrical fire while camping! If Forest River is pushing out RV's that are essentially a DIY kit on delivery, they should not be allowed to charge full price.
Until we all start sending our lists to Mr Buffet nothing will change. We need to include the vin # and where purchased so the correct division is identified. It seems the inconvenience is always put upon the customer. Your experience is by far the worst I have heard.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:36 AM   #48

Sorry Man that you got such a POS RV !!!

Many of us on this forum have tried to warn people about buying an RV from some one other than a somewhat local dealer !!!
Old 08-08-2016, 07:03 AM   #49

As my granma use to say. " Some folks wouldn't be happy working in a pie factory and sleeping on a feather bed ! "
Personally I came here to learn about camping and mods others have made to make their experience camping better. Not to be in the middle of "divorce court" . Sometimes y'all remind me of my first ex-wife.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:19 AM   #50

As Steve Jobs used to say....
“Quality is more important than quantity. One home run is much better than two doubles.”

And as someone unknown used to say....
“If you don’t have time to do it right you must have time to do it over.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Wilson View Post
As my granma use to say. " Some folks wouldn't be happy working in a pie factory and sleeping on a feather bed ! "
Personally I came here to learn about camping and mods others have made to make their experience camping better. Not to be in the middle of "divorce court" . Sometimes y'all remind me of my first ex-wife.
As far as your comment, why did you even open and read a thread titled "Forest River Quality Control" If you don't want to be in the middle of a discussion. No one is twisting your arm to make a comment in the first place.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:19 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Sorry Man that you got such a POS RV !!!

Many of us on this forum have tried to warn people about buying an RV from some one other than a somewhat local dealer !!!

He really got a bad one. With that list the factory should just rebuild it from stage one on the line. With a list that long it is understood why other dealers don't want to touch it. Hopefully the 1100 mile dealer will dedicate a tech to the project for a month. Thankfully my 5er has not had warranty except for a battery and wh Atwood took care of as that 45 mile trip sux. Have to feel bad not only for the long list but amount of time it will be in the shop. Maybe they will get it all done right the 1st time too.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:24 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
“Quality is more important than quantity. One home run is much better than two doubles.”

As far as your comment, why did you even open and read a thread titled "Forest River Quality Control" If you don't want to be in the middle of a discussion. No one is twisting your arm to make a comment in the first place.
Just to give you a wedgie ! Just because you are miserable, leave the rest of us out of it ! Contact Forest River, they are the only ones that can satisfy your complaint.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:31 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Wilson View Post
Just to give you a wedgie ! Just because you are miserable, leave the rest of us out of it ! Contact Forest River, they are the only ones that can satisfy your complaint.

That's hilarious............especially seeing that no one put you in it but yourself!
Old 08-08-2016, 08:23 AM   #54

I also do not understand why Mr. Wilson is here,,, but I guess it is his right !!!
I do agree that gberge should contact FR,,, and skip dealing with any dealer !!!
Old 08-08-2016, 08:30 AM   #55

Quote:
I also do not understand why Mr. Wilson is here,,, but I guess it is his right !!!
Yes you are correct, it is his right...................He apparently also feels its his right to censor others?
Old 08-08-2016, 08:34 AM   #56

Quote:
I do agree that gberge should contact FR,,, and skip dealing with any dealer !!!
When I suggested the factory I thought they would be concerned as OPs son was injured when something fell apart. No one wants an injury, especially a child.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:58 AM   #57
Citrus County, Fl.

It appears to me that there are a couple posters on here that for the most part all they do is complain, which of course is their right and I admit makes for entertaining reading.

In my opinion, some of the FR manufacturers have better build quality than others. As many have stated, any manufacturer and all their lines will from time to time have build issues.

Most of the issues I have had with my Forester have been Vendor issues with exception of a leaking ice maker line. Everything was either taken care of by my dealer or a mobile tech when my AC crapped out while on a camping trip. Most of the items were repaired/replaced within a week or as soon as the next day (AC unit) Longest wait was about a month waiting on either the fridge fan or a replacement fridge door (gasket got torn on the latch)

As for not as well built as years ago, I agree but there is more "stuff" now and many manufactures have outsourced to China due to costs. It would be nice if all the divisions would upgrade to better quality products like Forester has done. They switched from WFCO converters to Progressive Dynamics, and water heaters from Suburban with the stupid outside switch and an anode rod that needs to be replaced yearly to the Atwood that seems to last forever. Also the addition of the cordless Dyson vacuum cleaner over the Dirt Devil is worth it's weight in gold.

It's also a benefit to have manufacturer reps who volunteer to participate in this forum which was a big factor in my decision to purchase. Hats off to Brian Clemmons and Joshua Cavett (sp) for all they do.

Sorry for being long winded but wanted to add my 2 cents worth.
99 Terry 31G
Old 08-08-2016, 11:35 AM   #58

Just wondering, how many different factories does Forest River have to build the various brands it sells? As mentioned, some brands from FR do not seem to have many problems at all with build quality, while other brands are full of factory build defects.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:35 PM   #59

Forest river Quality Issues

We are new FR owners 2016 377TS upgrade from a 24 foot fifth wheel.
Here are some facts about the new purchase.
Purchased in VA April 21, 2016 from dealer -everything worked and items repaired prior to leaving dealer.
1. GFI outlets not working - wiring stripped by one of the slides - no protective hdwe to protect harness.
2. Rear shades hung four inches off center inside.
3. Molding strip missing by TV
4. Many shelves don't come flush with cabinets .

Drove it home to MA - everything worked well.

Filled water tank en-route and slept in Walmart lot.

1. Found leak where slide cut hose when moving in and out. No protect trough to keep line in check - took to another dealer to repair.
2. Keeps tripping my GFI in the house while plugged in for Fridge ONLY running. 120v to 50amp converter sold to us by dealer-fifteen feet heavy duty new electrical cord.

Landed in MA parked it.

May 5th 2016

1. Leveled it with system . System would not retract and component switch was replaced by local dealer shop.
2. Battery blew while parked a day later while waiting for switch.
3. Parked in rear of house, not occupied- 120 volt converter wire from dealer plugged in for fridge and fan.

June 11 2016 - took out for day trip
1. Leveling system -Lippert by the way - would not engage - panel flashing - even though legs were up
2. Local dealer repaired another switch in Lippert unit

July 29 - took out for one day overnite
1. Leveled with Lippert
2. Extended slides.
3. Lippert system would not retract legs
4. Slides stopped would not retract
5. Repaired , blown fuse and blown circuit breaker - no fuse diagram or breaker diagram found in three areas- also not in owners manual.
6. Up and running - sunshade stops and does not run.

Now going in shop for fourth time a total of 5 weeks of repairs.

At this point I do not think highly of FR Georgetown. Did I mention that two emails to their service contact on the website have gone unanswered.

I am hoping they find the issues and we have much fewer issues with the remaining miles on it. We bought it with 1928 miles now has 3011 miles. Hoping it gets better.
Old 08-08-2016, 03:05 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post

X2. We all have the option of turning the page or changing the channel.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
Closed Thread

Tags
quality