Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2019, 03:16 PM   #1

Forest River Schematics

Does anyone know how to get a floor plan/schematic for Forest River 2018? We are talking about altering the bunk area and would like to know what runs where throughout the trailer.
snowdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:23 PM   #2

If you start now, removing panels, tracing wires and plumbing, then drawing your own schematic(s) you'll get what you need a lot sooner than waiting for Forest River. Chances are they will NEVER send you anything other than what's provided in the owner's manual.

Even if you are fortunate enough to get "something" from them, good luck on it being even similar to what they installed in the factory. Unlike in the automotive industry where wiring is formed into harnesses and every vehicle in a given line gets the same, with various accessories merely hooked into pre-wired connections, the RV industry seems to like lots of wire just rolled off of spools with each individual having a different way of routing it.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:29 PM   #3

I did a factor tour. Pretty sure they are not following any type of plan or schematic. Just running around like made throwing product together and pushing to the next station.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:36 PM   #4

thanks. I figured we were probably on our own, but thought i'd ask.
snowdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:34 PM   #5

A tone generator also called a circuit tracer , cable tracker . . . will help you a ton in following a wire. You clip a lead of the tone generator on the wire you want to trace and follow it with the receiver. These very in quality but you can follow a bundle and even locate the point of a wiring a problem when the tone drops off. They run in a huge price range from 25.00 to thousands and low voltage vs ac dc circuits. My suggestion is to unplug the RV from all power, battery and ac while working. I use a low voltage kit for networks and run a wire at a time. My experience is when more than one item fails it points to a ground wire crimped in a bundle. You will want one where you can adjust the sensitivity in the receiver so you can trace wires inside a wall and turn it down if you were checking a wire(s) in a bundle. Read directions or watch a video on them and they will save you hours of frustration.

Wildwood 241QBXL
dacheedah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:37 PM   #6

The detailed plans the manufacturer prepares are only a SUGGESTION for the installers
joshuajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuajim View Post
The detailed plans the manufacturer prepares are only a SUGGESTION for the installers
I consider myself very fortunate. A-frames don't have very many hidden or hard to access spaces for the wiring to go into. Probably the worst area is behind the microwave. Just bite the bullet and pull the microwave to access the wiring in the cabinet.

Of course, there are the wire pulls that came up a few inches too short. My Amish "electrician's" answer was very simple. Splice in another piece of wire - color unimportant - using the "crimp-on wire nuts". Aside from the too short wires, the color-coding was pretty good, and the fuse and circuit breaker panels were accurately (if only partially) documented on the labels.

When I replaced the WFCO converter/panel with a PD unit, I installed bus bars for the DC grounds (previously wire nutted together) and the DC+ that fed multiple items (stereo, porch and tongue lights, night light, CO/LP detector). I also thoroughly documented the color codes and circuits in a file on the computer and downloaded the file to my phone. I also made new, more complete labels for the panel.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:35 PM   #8
Georgia Rally Coordinator

You want what from FR Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:59 AM   #9

This is pretty sad. When I bought my 2000 Class C Fleetwood in 2003 used, I called Fleetwood for schematics and they sent me out for free about 50 pages of wiring & framing schematics along with a lot of other useful documentation.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:17 AM   #10
Broken Toe

For everome who complains about the lack of schematics... where are the schematics for your house?

Chances are, there are none as well. Code dictates where things go. Electricians know how to route the conductors and hook it up.

Same thing with RV's. Schematics just arent needed.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
For everome who complains about the lack of schematics... where are the schematics for your house?

Chances are, there are none as well. Code dictates where things go. Electricians know how to route the conductors and hook it up.

Tim
To contradict that just a little, my son is having a "New" house built. He has a copy of the "Blue Prints" that include "ALL" the mechanical systems in the house. After looking at it the other night, we'd be able to trace each circuit in the housed. So you could say....Yes...there are schematics for houses.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:40 AM   #12
Site Team

Wiring, mechanical, HVAC, construction details, etc. are all part of the engineering drawing package for homes now. A few years ago they weren't, but I'm glad they made that change.

Now if we could just get the RV mfg's to do the same.

I've started making my own drawings for our RV and it's not that difficult so far.

Here's a sample. I don't have the DC wiring or lights on it yet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	29RKSS.jpg
Views:	15720
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	196771
Old 02-19-2019, 12:17 PM   #13

Angry plumbing schematic

I contacted forest river for a plumbing schematic for my heritage glen 246rbls and was told they do not have any wiring or plumbing schematics. I was astonished that a company the size of forest river that build a model of rv time after time doesn't have any schematic plans. I still don't know how to get to the shower controls on this rv
freespirit8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post

Tim
Those schematic's are in the detailed plans required for all houses . filed with the county . I have them for my house , shows everything from joist placement , water lines , electrical , etc .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Those schematic's are in the detailed plans required for all houses . filed with the county . I have them for my house , shows everything from joist placement , water lines , electrical , etc .
The schematics (I call them blueprints) are far from universal. The majority of the counties in the US do not require anything more than a generic building plan and/or land plot. Changes will be made as the building is constructed, and over the years, but there will be no red-line drawings. Permits for specific installations - HVAC, kitchen appliances, etc, may have more detailed installation plans filed when the city/county requires them. But again, these are not maintained over time.

In my neck of the woods, the contractor's license is the only guarantee code was followed during the actual construction/installation, and then only if the work required a permit.

Again in my neck of the woods, code and permit violations show up when a home inspection is done as part of the sale of the house. The city/county just levies an add-on fee for after-the-fact permits.

Of course, none of this changes the fact that at least Forest River basically hand builds RVs without rigorous quality control. A quality control system would insist on installation drawings and accurate parts lists as a starting point in process improvement. Wiring harnesses, assembly jigs, tool control, and a supplier quality program would be add-ons to drive product quality (consistency from one unit to the next) much higher. But Forest River doesn't go there, and won't go there, as long as the current system is profitable.

Just my experiences. I learned that a good home inspector is worth every bit of his fee.
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Wiring, mechanical, HVAC, construction details, etc. are all part of the engineering drawing package for homes now. A few years ago they weren't, but I'm glad they made that change.

Now if we could just get the RV mfg's to do the same.

I've started making my own drawings for our RV and it's not that difficult so far.

Here's a sample. I don't have the DC wiring or lights on it yet.

Attachment 196771
Yes, all new housed should have wiring diagrams, but that does not tell you how the wires are routed to the different components, they may have to go around obstacles and such.
I think the OP was wanting to know where the wires were located so as not to drill through them.
The tone generator is a good idea.

Ben
benfox49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:12 AM   #17

A set of building plans may have a detailed drawing that shows the “exact” location of systems. That is to get through the building department for a permit. When it hits the field, the workers will run systems where it is easiest and cheapest. I would bet that 99% of building inspectors never look at the plans except for structural details. They are only concerned that the work meets code not where wires and pipes are run.

I know because in my career, I have built over 2,000 dwelling units.
joshuajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 05:43 PM   #18

I am trying to get a schematic for my 2020 NOBO 19.1 Toy Hauler. I need to mount a TV on the wall and want to know where the aluminum studs are under the AZDEL composite panels.
stephensatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 06:26 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephensatt View Post
I am trying to get a schematic for my 2020 NOBO 19.1 Toy Hauler. I need to mount a TV on the wall and want to know where the aluminum studs are under the AZDEL composite panels.
Doesn't exist.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 09:02 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephensatt View Post
Your best bet is a good electronic stud finder. The good ones will find metal framing behind a lot of wall materials.

If you're mounting it in the designated place the backer placement should be marked.

Tags
forest river