Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2014, 11:15 PM   #1

Four Season Camper

I have a two year Old Apex268 that we have really enjoyed. But we would like to do winter camping. Seems that would be the best time of the year. Can't do it with the apex due to tanks and water lines bursting. What's a decent 25 or so foot travel trailer that is insulated? Thanks.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:13 AM   #2

Lance Travel Trailers and Northwood Mfg-Snow River TTs are a couple of choices. Also, Big Foot RV. Big Foot is more of a Canadian Mfg, but there are a handful of US dealers.
GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:06 AM   #3

If u really like your camper. Might consider insulating it. Window upgrades cost $3K to $5K depending on how many and size.

A lot I have seen as four seasons are not. Many are called polar or artic package. Just search it out. I know the owners with the cold weather packages say it makes a big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:30 AM   #4

Well I live in South Carolina so it's not really that bad, although we had a freak snow storm yesterday and got 2 inches! I know folks from other parts of the US will laugh but 2 inches here and everyone goes crazy. The coldest I would camp would be in the 20's. I Am mainly worried about water lines and black/grey tank and connections.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:45 PM   #5

I found an Artic Fox 25p, slightly used. Going to look at it tomorrow. Dealer says some of the Surveyors would work well. I'll just have to insulate the black/grey drains and disconnect the outside shower. Excited.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:04 PM   #6

Do you camp with hookups? Seems like a little bit of heat tape and/or some insulation would be ok for you down in SC.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:07 AM   #7

Yes I hook up. I'm in upper SC and it can routinely get in the low 20's, teens and even single digits. But I'm only worried about the 20's unless we go up into the NC mountains. I am also looking at a Surveyor with I closed underbelly. Heat tape applies to water discharges and water intake should work.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:55 AM   #8

Skippy: I don't see why you'd have a problem camping all winter in SC and NC with your current camper. Your water lines aren't going to freeze if you are heating the inside of the camper. Outside, your hose may freeze, but you can get a heated hose or just unhook and drain your unheated hose at night. Of course, no camper can prevent the campground's faucet from freezing, but that's fairly rare down here.

As for holding tanks, unless they are full, freezing shouldn't be a problem. You just won't be able to dump until they thaw out. Which usually doesn't take long down here.

We camp every single month, year-round here in NC, with never a problem related to cold weather. We've often camped in the snow and last Thanksgiving it dropped to 14 one night with no problems.

Of course, if you're wintering in Michigan or Wisconsin it's a different story. But where you are or even in the NC mountains, I don't see any reason for getting new camper unless you just want something new.

Yes, we end up winterizing and dewinterizing 4 or 5 times a year, but the 10-minute process is worth it to us. If the temp is going to be below freezing for days on end (fairly rare in NC and SC) we stay at home. Otherwise, we will be out there.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper