Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2018, 07:12 PM   #21
Professional Curmudgeon

I’d recommend against the air bags, at least for now. The Blue Ox Swaypro could be a good choice for you due to the limited real estate available for mounting brackets on the tongue of the trailer.
Once you hitch up and adjust the WDH you’ll likely find the rig is quite level.

The Wright Flyer is an awesome camper and you have joined quite an elite group. Congratulations!
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:22 PM   #22

So I took my Aviator WF to the scales, stand alone no truck attached
Dry weight with 2 batteries and 2 gas tanks. 1 gas tank was empty and one was half full.
Weight: 8150lbs
Touge weight: 1255lbs
2018 F150 supercrew 4x4 36 gallon tank, HD max tow 6lug hubs 20” wheels. My self (approx 210lbs) plus half tank of gas.
Weight: 5280lbs

Based on my actual truck weight and max combine weight of 7000lbs (truck weight and cargo)
Truck: 5280lbs self + add 108lbs for additional half tank of gas = 5388lbs
Aviator Tongue weight: 1280lbs + 40lbs If gas tanks were full = 1320lbs

Total max truck weight = 6708lbs

Leaves 292 lbs for passenger and small load. Cuts it close to the Ford stayed max 7000lbs.

I did take note the the rear axle on this truck is rated at just over 4000lbs plus max load per tire is 2600lbs so I’m thinking there’s a large buffer in there but at same time don’t plan on going over that by much
Rsracing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:28 PM   #23
Professional Curmudgeon

Did you include the weight of a weight distribution hitch in the tongue weight? A WDH can easily weigh 100 pounds or more.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:45 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsracing1 View Post
Thanks for everybody’s response.
I took my truck to the weigh scales and with me (205lbs) in the truck and 3/4 tank of gas I was at 5280lbs. Truck has 7000lbs capacity full loaded.

Factors yo take into account. Truck has 4050lb rear axle (6-lug hubs) capacity, tires have a max loading of 2580lbs at max PSI.

I installed the airlift 5000 air springs things yesterday and have a 1200/1400 equilizer 4point weight/sway distribution hitch arriving Tuesday with 14000lb hitch ball. I understand you don’t nesisarly need Airsprings is weight distribution
Hitch is set up correctly but wanted to add for insurance to help stabilize weight and ride comfort I’ll bed inflating airbags to approx 30lbs before setting distribution hitch up,

I dont plan on towing with water tanks full. Makes sense to drive empty and fill nearer campsite if needed. I have racing scales for corner weight/balance so will weigh my hitch weight at weekend and let you all know.
I think I’ll be below

Between all the above I think/hoping I’ll be just below published towing hitch capacity.

Will try to post weights next week including tongue weight, truck weight with trailer attached and then combined weight hooked up with no water but with had cylinders and batteries

you will find that 30psi in the air bags is too much . start lower say 15 and go up from there till you find the sweet spot . installed the air lift on my truck and started at 30 . way to much now i run 18 psi . though the air bags were not needed they do help stabilize the truck and the ride while towing was greatly improved . the first 8000 miles towing my rig i had no airbags and it felt great but with them even better . i have a 3/4 ton hd and tow a 9300 lbs loaded TH
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:57 PM   #25

Meant add I installed a 1400 lb 4 point equilizer distribution sway hitch. Truck front leveled out at where it was before trailer attached and rear dropped 1/2” from Origonal height with trailer attached.
I then inflated my airlift 5000 bags to 35psi to bring truck back up the 1/2”
Max airbag pressure is 100psi
Old 11-21-2018, 01:02 PM   #26

Quote:
So I took my Aviator WF to the scales, stand alone no truck attached
Dry weight with 2 batteries and 2 gas tanks. 1 gas tank was empty and one was half full.
Weight: 8150lbs
Touge weight: 1255lbs
2018 F150 supercrew 4x4 36 gallon tank, HD max tow 6lug hubs 20” wheels. My self (approx 210lbs) plus half tank of gas.
Weight: 5280lbs

Based on my actual truck weight and max combine weight of 7000lbs (truck weight and cargo)
Truck: 5280lbs self + add 108lbs for additional half tank of gas = 5388lbs
Aviator Tongue weight: 1280lbs + 40lbs If gas tanks were full = 1320lbs

Total max truck weight = 6708lbs

Leaves 292 lbs for passenger and small load. Cuts it close to the Ford stayed max 7000lbs.

I did take note the the rear axle on this truck is rated at just over 4000lbs plus max load per tire is 2600lbs so I’m thinking there’s a large buffer in there but at same time don’t plan on going over that by much
You didn't mention if you plan on using the fresh water tank, but just so you know on the Wright Flyer the tank is located in the front beneath where the round table is located and when full will add another 200-300 pounds to your tongue weight.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:14 PM   #27

Hi Ken, thanks again for answering all my texts when I was in Canada looking at this trailer. It was great to get piece of mind with answering any concerns I had when looking at this Aviator.

Was chatting with a couple of friends who have 5th wheels and one likes to fill up and the other prefers to get water at location. Both tow with diesel duallys so figure it’s a preference
For just now we plan on filling up with water when we get where we’re going.
When you added your second water tank where exactly did you place it? did it balance out the weight little better.

Wanted to add that my adventure on return journey from Canada back to Colorado involved 90% snow/ice roads. Was expecting a white knuckle drive back but was very pleasantly surprised at how smooth and easy it was to tow. On saying that after 12hrs if towing in this weather I was starting to feel the truck and trailer handle little different,not as smooth/stable drive. Stopped for gas and noticed that I packed Down with hard packed snow and ice under entire trailer and truck. Figure easily close to 1000lbs combined througing of the entire balance.
In hindsight I would change a thing about this trip. Gave me an accelerated driving/tow experience that I would never have gotten if roads were dry/sunny

Great experience allaround !
Old 11-21-2018, 02:33 PM   #28

You are welcome. I was glad to help. It was quite an adventure getting home from the pictures you sent. As far as the second water tank goes, I put it in the back about where the bed is. It holds 50 gallons so it would for sure lower your tongue weight.
If you ever make it to Minnesota let me know.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:03 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
Did you include the weight of a weight distribution hitch in the tongue weight? A WDH can easily weigh 100 pounds or more.
Thx, I did forget to add the equilizer hitch, I think it stated 110lbs when I ordered it.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:26 PM   #30

Would anybody happen to know what the “aviator” witless router password is. My trailer came with the Sony tablet control for TVs surround sound etc.

If I can figure out the router password, just assuming it was set up as generic. I was going to replace the thermostat control for fire place, furnace and heat with a wireless/Bluetooth unit so I can start the heat remotely from car few hours before arriving at destination etc for night

Thx
Old 11-21-2018, 04:28 PM   #31
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Did you get your hitch setup from Lampert Hitch in Denver?
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 12:47 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Did you get your hitch setup from Lampert Hitch in Denver?
No, I researched the hitch online and ordered through amazon
Old 11-22-2018, 01:41 AM   #33
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Meant add I installed a 1400 lb 4 point equilizer distribution sway hitch. Truck front leveled out at where it was before trailer attached and rear dropped 1/2” from Origonal height with trailer attached.
I then inflated my airlift 5000 bags to 35psi to bring truck back up the 1/2”
Max airbag pressure is 100psi
If you adjust the WDH first and add air to bags after, it’s going to reduce the pressure on the torsion bars. This means less weight being distributed by the hitch. Add your air first, then adjust the WDH. It will likely take a couple tries to determine how much preload you want in your suspension, but once you do it’ll be easier in the future.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:08 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
If you adjust the WDH first and add air to bags after, it’s going to reduce the pressure on the torsion bars. This means less weight being distributed by the hitch. Add your air first, then adjust the WDH. It will likely take a couple tries to determine how much preload you want in your suspension, but once you do it’ll be easier in the future.
When you say it will take a couple of tires, do you mean it wear tires harder ?

I talked with the equilizer tech support as wanted to know what more washers vs less washers on the hitch meant. They said more washers means more weight distribution going to frame. When I set this up again I ended up using all washers supplied. Played around with less took measurements at each adjustment and ended up using all washers supplied to get me where front was level at same measurement primer to hoook up and rear being the 1/2” lower.

I think your right on airbags taking some of load away from hitch so I may actually reduce the pressure in the airbags to where they are just stabilizing vs lifting that 1/2”

Overall I’m guessing if my distrubion hitch is maxed out on tweaking (not nessesrly maxed on actual load/weight) then inflating airbags before or after may not make a difference?

Thx

Tags
hitch, towing, weight, weight distribution hitch