Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2018, 08:34 AM   #1

FR Aviator towing weight distribution hitch

Hi I just purchased a 2013 Aviator flyer and need some recommendations of what weight distribution hitch to buy.
Trailer weight dry states 7775lbs and don’t plan on gong over 9500 lbs loaded
I’m not 100% sure on what he tougue wight on these are. So perhaps some one can input that info for me as I know that dictates what size of weight distribution hitch to buy

Thx
Rsracing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:11 AM   #2

The reg you reference has a brochure tongue weight of 985 to this weight add the propane bottles and batteries which are both dealer supplied items and you will have your aprox tongue weight
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:21 AM   #3

Thx for the conformation on tougne weight.

This is the first camping trailer I’ve owned. Is there a particular brand or style of weight distribution hitch anyone can recommend. I understand distribution with sway control is what I’m looking for but being
a true novice in all aspects of towing a camper trailer, from a safety stand point I want to make sure I get the correct weight distribution/sway control Hitch vs ending up with something that doesn’t work that great vs a brand/ style that those experienced can recommend.

Appreciate any and all input

Thx
Old 11-04-2018, 10:51 AM   #4

Part of selecting a type of hitch is somewhat dependent on the rig you are going to use to tow the trailer with. An example is my 3/4 ton Ram with my rig gets very little squat when the trailer is connected as compared to my old TV so I actually had to reduce amount of tension on my hitch bars. I use the PRO WDH I don't use sway control have never needed it.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:06 AM   #5
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

If you have a trailer hitch shop (not an RV dealership) in your area, go talk with them.

And buy from them and have them install and set it up for you!

EDIT: I see you are in Colorado...see link below.

This is something better left to someone who knows what they are doing versus saving a few bucks from buying on Amazon!

I used Lampert Hitch on 38th. Ave. and Perry St. about a mile west of I-25 in Denver.

They are AWESOME!

http://www.lamperthitch.com/

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:16 AM   #6

There are many of them and lots of opinions. I think knowing your truck would help. Are you close to max with a 1/2ton or do you have a 3/4ton? It will make a world of difference when towing and what you may need.

Popular at these weights are the equalizer 4pt, and blueox sway pro. There are others but these seem to be the most popular. Looks like you will likely need the 1500lb versions. If you get over 1400lb tongue weight the blueox is the only one I found that can support up to 1900 with the 2000lb version but there could be others.

I have a slightly lighter advertised trailer and had the blueox sway pro. I spent a year tuning it on various trips as I loaded it up with gear but still had some issues with sway in cross winds I did not like. Before I upgraded trucks to a 3/4ton I tried a propride P3. I love it but it is 5x the price of the others so it depends on what you want to spend and what you have as a TV.

Take a look at the etrailer site to see benefits and costs for most solutions and get what you are comfortable with and that matches your truck and trailer needs.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 02:59 PM   #7

Thanks for the fast response. I probablly should have mentioned the truck I’m towing with. It’s 2018 F150 3.5 twin turbo eco boost supercrew/short bed 6lug
hubs with heavy duty tow package.
Calculating all Ford data based on my truck spec with short bed is 11400lbsand plan on towing no more than 80% of my max capability. I also took into account my Gross Combined Weight based on my specific truck model.

Sound like a good idea to check out a local store vs an
RV store

Thx again for the help
Old 11-04-2018, 03:44 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsracing1 View Post
with heavy duty tow package.
Which package are you referring to, the Heavy Duty Payload package or the Max Tow package?
Don't believe there's just a Heavy Duty Tow package.
Also would help if you posted the payload capacity that's on the driver's door sticker.
It'll say something like "Occupants and cargo should not exceed xxxxlbs"
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:53 PM   #9

It’s the max tow package. Truck states 7000lbs per door sticker

Thx
Old 11-04-2018, 03:55 PM   #10

Also meant to add that I will be installing the airlift 5000 air bags to level out truck as well
Old 11-04-2018, 04:00 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
It’s the max tow package. Truck states 7000lbs per door sticker

Thx
That's the wrong number.
No 1/2 truck has 7000lbs of payload. Probably the RAWR weight.
Please look for the line I posted in my post. My F150 has the Max Tow package and its payload capacity is 1828lbs.
And, just in case you don't know, air bags do not increase payload capacity.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 05:15 PM   #12

Ok got it. states 1904lbs payload .
I understand the air bags to help on weight. Was only stating regarding helping leveling the truck when trailer attached with weight distribution hitch.

See attached spec of truck.. well can’t seem to load by trucks Data sheet
Old 11-04-2018, 05:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Hi I just purchased a 2013 Aviator flyer and need some recommendations of what weight distribution hitch to buy.
Trailer weight dry states 7775lbs and don’t plan on gong over 9500 lbs loaded
I’m not 100% sure on what he tougue wight on these are. So perhaps some one can input that info for me as I know that dictates what size of weight distribution hitch to buy

Thx
Even with all the use of composite materials, the Wright-Flyer is not a light weight trailer. The thick front glass, fiberglass cap, dual batteries and 30# propane tanks makes for a very heavy tongue. I weighed my tongue at 1500lbs with a total trailer weight at 10,100 loaded.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:25 PM   #14

If you have the right weight distribution hitch and it is set up properly it should get your truck back to level and you should not need air bags.
Webefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:54 PM   #15

I tow with a similar truck. It is easy to overload the rear axle with that kind of to tongue weight. You will likely need airbags or bump stops to keep it level but that won't help with weight. I hope you already have LT tires. The EcoBoost will not have issues pulling the trailer but sway could get interesting based on the weight and the trailer setup.

What ever you end up with make sure you weigh it when you think you are good. You will need to based on how close you will be to max weights. It will also be the best way to fine tune your hitch setup.

JohnD10 has good advice. If you can buy from them and learn from them that is best. I bought mine and then had them show me at a trailer shop for the first hitch. The dealer that installed it had really messed it up.

I would suggest the propride if you can justify the cost based on where you are weight wise but that is an internet purchase. Every trailer is different but that is what I needed to feel comfortable.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:20 PM   #16

The ProPride will also add quite a bit of tongue weight. 282 lbs per this Airstream thread:

ProPride Tongue Weight Question - Airstream Forums

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
The ProPride will also add quite a bit of tongue weight. 282 lbs per this Airstream thread:

Good point. I never weighed just the hitch but sounds about right. That could put him over on hitch weight then if he gets to 1300lbs.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:47 PM   #18

Thanks for everybody’s response.
I took my truck to the weigh scales and with me (205lbs) in the truck and 3/4 tank of gas I was at 5280lbs. Truck has 7000lbs capacity full loaded.

Factors yo take into account. Truck has 4050lb rear axle (6-lug hubs) capacity, tires have a max loading of 2580lbs at max PSI.

I installed the airlift 5000 air springs things yesterday and have a 1200/1400 equilizer 4point weight/sway distribution hitch arriving Tuesday with 14000lb hitch ball. I understand you don’t nesisarly need Airsprings is weight distribution
Hitch is set up correctly but wanted to add for insurance to help stabilize weight and ride comfort I’ll bed inflating airbags to approx 30lbs before setting distribution hitch up,

I dont plan on towing with water tanks full. Makes sense to drive empty and fill nearer campsite if needed. I have racing scales for corner weight/balance so will weigh my hitch weight at weekend and let you all know.
I think I’ll be below

Between all the above I think/hoping I’ll be just below published towing hitch capacity.

Will try to post weights next week including tongue weight, truck weight with trailer attached and then combined weight hooked up with no water but with had cylinders and batteries
Old 11-12-2018, 08:52 AM   #19
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post

Wow...

According to the Reese website, that ProPride weighs one pound more than my 5th-wheel slider hitch (281 pounds)!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NewReeseSliderHitch-P1000052.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	817.0 KB
ID:	191236  
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:14 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Wow...

According to the Reese website, that ProPride weighs one pound more than my 5th-wheel slider hitch (281 pounds)!
Yes they are not light but once you hook them up I have never removed it. I heard dealers hate them but I hate my dealer so we are even.

You would think they make them from gold based on the price too.

Tags
hitch, towing, weight, weight distribution hitch