Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2019, 01:38 PM   #1

FR3 2018 32DS, where to view fresh water tank?

where is the fresh water tank actually located? Is it under the Bed, Can I view the tank itself from underneath to see how much water,...I know my gauges do work but would like to view anyways,,, I over filled the tank yeaterday and the over flow hose acted like a syphon hose,, empty 50 plus gallons in driveway...I like to travel with like a 1/3 or 1/2 full for emergencies...thanks David.....
bdwalsh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:53 PM   #2

Most of the time you will have a drain valve directly under the tank.
quicky06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:35 PM   #3

Not sure about the 32DS model, but on my 2016 30DS the fresh water tank is directly above the water pump and water heater area. It's visible by looking through the access port in front of the water heater access door. I actually removed the access port and now have full access to the water pump and water heater area. Makes winterizing a lot easier.

2019 Georgetown GT5 31R5 w/2016 Chevy Colorado Toad
Days Camped: 2017 - 45, 2018 - 52, 2019 - 70, 2020 - 32, 2021 - 16
Papaduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:42 PM   #4

By the way, Welcome to the FR3 Family. You might consider future questions specific to your 32DS be posted in the FR3 Forum section. There's a lot of useful information shared there that's specific to all the FR3 models.

Good Luck and Safe Travels!

2019 Georgetown GT5 31R5 w/2016 Chevy Colorado Toad
Days Camped: 2017 - 45, 2018 - 52, 2019 - 70, 2020 - 32, 2021 - 16
Papaduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwalsh11 View Post
where is the fresh water tank actually located? Is it under the Bed, Can I view the tank itself from underneath to see how much water,...I know my gauges do work but would like to view anyways,,, I over filled the tank yeaterday and the over flow hose acted like a syphon hose,, empty 50 plus gallons in driveway...I like to travel with like a 1/3 or 1/2 full for emergencies...thanks David.....
Use the search engine at the top of the forum page. I had that problem and fixed it by repositioning the overflow tube.

As for your question, open small bay where water pump and heater are. Your tank will be about eye level and in about two feet. White in color but opaque enough to see water level. That’s where it is on my unit.

A word of caution, do not overfill tank because before it starts to bleed off and create a suction that empty’s the tank your tank will expand to what looks like it will burst. I fixed this by positioning overflow hose coil level and at about same height as top of tank.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwalsh11 View Post
By the way Papaduck is correct. I forgot about the black panel with the see through port. Best to remove panel and store it until you get into cold weather if you choose to leave it on just open port window and with a flashlight you can see tank. Good luck
Old 04-06-2019, 06:16 AM   #7
FR3 Grampy

I've seen many posts about an overflow emptying the fresh water tank and i can't figure this out. Isn't an overflow just a hose fitted at the top of the tank to let water out when it gets too full? Once the water goes down below this hole, shouldn't the water stop flowing? How can a 50 gallon tank empty itself from a hole at the top of the tank? I just can't figure this one out.
Scottmarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmarm View Post
I've seen many posts about an overflow emptying the fresh water tank and i can't figure this out. Isn't an overflow just a hose fitted at the top of the tank to let water out when it gets too full? Once the water goes down below this hole, shouldn't the water stop flowing? How can a 50 gallon tank empty itself from a hole at the top of the tank? I just can't figure this one out.
It can be siphoned depending on the routing of the overflow vent. My trailer can’t siphone because the vent exit is higher than the top of the tank. But if the vent exit is halfway down the tank than it can siphon.

Old 04-07-2019, 07:41 AM   #9
FR3 Grampy

I get it where you place a tube in a tank and siphon out the liquid, but in a fresh water tank from an RV, i doubt that the overflow tube is resting at the bottom of the tank. I've heard lots of stories about fresh water tanks emptying themselves out if the water reaches the overflow hole at the top of the tank. This is the part i don't understand...isn't an overflow supposed to just let you know that the water tank has reached it's full capacity??? And that the overflow is there to prevent overfilling the tank? And once the water in the tank starts to flow out of the tank and gets bellow the overflow hole in the tank, shouldn't the water stop flowing??? If this is true, how can a tank empties itself from this hole at the top of the tank??? it just doesn't make sense. Something else must be happening that i don't get.
Scottmarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmarm View Post
I get it where you place a tube in a tank and siphon out the liquid, but in a fresh water tank from an RV, i doubt that the overflow tube is resting at the bottom of the tank. I've heard lots of stories about fresh water tanks emptying themselves out if the water reaches the overflow hole at the top of the tank. This is the part i don't understand...isn't an overflow supposed to just let you know that the water tank has reached it's full capacity??? And that the overflow is there to prevent overfilling the tank? And once the water in the tank starts to flow out of the tank and gets bellow the overflow hole in the tank, shouldn't the water stop flowing??? If this is true, how can a tank empties itself from this hole at the top of the tank??? it just doesn't make sense. Something else must be happening that i don't get.

On my Catalina. There is a vent for the filler neck and there is a seperate overflow that goes to its own exit on the back of the trailer( rear kitchen). With mine the overflow iisnnearly useless as an overflow device unless the vent clogs.

The vent goes into sport at the top of the tank. There is no way for this to siphon.

The overflow is a tube that connects to a fitting on the side of the tank about halfway down. The location of this connection determines how low the siphon can go. If my over flow were to have water go out it it can cause a siphon to begin. Just air moving across the overflow at the correct angle can cause a vaccume that can lead to a siphon. Water will flow until it gets an air brake. This can’t happen on my trailer due to the hieght of the overflow exit but if the tube were to go dump lower than where it connects it can empty the tank To where the overflow dump is hieght wise.

As far as tanks emptying. That maybe. An exaggeration but it depends on the relative location of the the vent

Tags
fr3, fresh water, tank, water, water tank