Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 09:25 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funengineer View Post
There have been some interesting comments and suggestions here. I hope the OP has enough information now to make an informed choice on how to deal with his fresh water tank issue.

I’d like to add the following comments:
First not every RV is designed to carry a full or partial tank of fw, grey or black for that matter so draining is a necessity. If you can travel with full or partial tanks then good for you.
It’s also good to hear from motorcyclists about their concerns about water pooling on the roads at intersections. I never thought about that. I hope that they can avoid those puddles and any mist that might linger in the air. (I’m assuming that everyone is following and stopping at a safe distance) So the people driving shiny clean rigs are afraid of the possibility that some water mist might land on their vehicles. It’s water people not sewage. Again I hope that you’re following at a safe distance. I get it but have to ask what do you do when it rains or when it’s foggy out? What happens when the dust blows? Do you wait for it to stop raining and the roads to dry out or do you push ahead and clean the vehicle when you get home? Same question for the bikers. Someone else posed the question, how do you prevent bugs and rocks from impacting your vehicle or person?
Neither the bug nor the rock nor the rain or fog CHOOSES to put me in danger. Just do what your conscience guides you to do... <signing off (:> >...
Old 07-27-2020, 09:36 AM   #62

Don't dump at the camp site.

I usually will do it at the dump station. I try to plan for the week and only follow what I need plus some extra. I have a 6 gal container if I need to add while at the site. This minimizes what I have to drain.

I once forgot and did it at a rest area parking lot. Was embarrassed but low risk of causing an issue with the vehicle's driving through the truck side. It wasn't much water and bikers (like myself) do not typically use that side unless traveling in a big pack.

The new trailer has a very large drain valve. Doesn't take long.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:37 AM   #63

I drain mine in the street when I winterize.
I try to leave my fresh water tank full as an emergency fresh water supply in the event of a Rapture, Apocalypse, Armageddon or other natural disaster.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:16 AM   #64

I have no dog in this fight.... I don't dump on the roadway

I would think that dumping on the road/highway would be illegal.

I never really thought about the scooters, but I don't ride.

I would think the suggestion to route to another area behind/in ditch/in gravel/wherever is a great idea. Nearly all the places I camp have gravel around the parking.

I also think the small drain people should reconsider the dumping options as it might take 20-30 mins to dump a full tank on the highway. Not very considerate IMO

My ? 1 1/2" drain will empty the tank in a hurry when I use it.

I think people think "they are the most important" and "their way is the only way" and "I am not swaying from my current way of thinking". I dunno. I am hard headed, but if someone shows me a reason or a better way... I will listen.

Some people like Mwildcat remote camp and there would be NO reason they could not drain fresh water anywhere. IMO

I dunno. I just try to comply and be understanding.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Old 07-27-2020, 10:23 AM   #65
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
There have been some interesting comments and suggestions here. I hope the OP has enough information now to make an informed choice on how to deal with his fresh water tank issue.

I’d like to add the following comments:
First not every RV is designed to carry a full or partial tank of fw, grey or black for that matter so draining is a necessity. If you can travel with full or partial tanks then good for you.
It’s also good to hear from motorcyclists about their concerns about water pooling on the roads at intersections. I never thought about that. I hope that they can avoid those puddles and any mist that might linger in the air. (I’m assuming that everyone is following and stopping at a safe distance) So the people driving shiny clean rigs are afraid of the possibility that some water mist might land on their vehicles. It’s water people not sewage. Again I hope that you’re following at a safe distance. I get it but have to ask what do you do when it rains or when it’s foggy out? What happens when the dust blows? Do you wait for it to stop raining and the roads to dry out or do you push ahead and clean the vehicle when you get home? Same question for the bikers. Someone else posed the question, how do you prevent bugs and rocks from impacting your vehicle or person?
Kind of defeats the entire premise of a mobile, recreational vehicle doesn't it?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
Old 07-27-2020, 10:43 AM   #66
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Well then the owners must not have done their homework and looked at this sticker that has been on every R/V I've looked at/purchased in the last 10 years.
(not my sticker.... just an internet snag)

If they have to shed water to stay withing the weight rating of the R/V (which INCLUDES a FULL tank of fresh water) because of all the other stuff they want to carry, then that is a decision they are making and you can't blame that on the R/V.

If they want to carry what they want and still carry a full fresh tank but are then overweight, I'll revert back to my original statement in post #58 ..."If you feel you are too heavy with water in your tank... you have the wrong rig."

I'm not trying to be a smart @ss. We need to educate folks who are buying these R/Vs that weight ratings are meant to be taken seriously and they need to do their homework if they want to be able to use their R/V for what it is intended to do.

ON EDIT: Obviously the post I was replying to (and my quote of it) has gone missing??
If this causes too much confusion, delete this one too!

Old 07-27-2020, 10:58 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Kind of defeats the entire premise of a mobile, recreational vehicle doesn't it?

5picker that depends on how each person defines and/or decides on their use of an RV. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:09 AM   #68
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
5picker that depends on how each person defines and/or decides on their use of an RV. Different strokes for different folks.
True, we can’t know the details of everyone’s situation.

I can easily come up with ferinstances where someone would be within weights carrying the water, and then need to dump the tanks to get back within limits on the way home.

One such ferinstance: While at the campsite, a person buys some heavy items (generators?) and would be overweight—unless they dump the water before leaving.

I completely understand the possibility that, at the end of a camping trip, someone would need to dump the FW tank. The OP’s question is an understandable one.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:13 AM   #69

Quote:
Well then the owners must not have done their homework and looked at this sticker that has been on every R/V I've looked at/purchased in the last 10 years.
(not my sticker.... just an internet snag)

If they have to shed water to stay withing the weight rating of the R/V (which INCLUDES a FULL tank of fresh water) because of all the other stuff they want to carry, then that is a decision they are making and you can't blame that on the R/V.

If they want to carry what they want and still carry a full fresh tank but are then overweight, I'll revert back to my original statement in post #58 ..."If you feel you are too heavy with water in your tank... you have the wrong rig."

I'm not trying to be a smart @ss. We need to educate folks who are buying these R/Vs that weight ratings are meant to be taken seriously and they need to do their homework if they want to be able to use their R/V for what it is intended to do.

ON EDIT: Obviously the post I was replying to (and my quote of it) has gone missing??
If this causes too much confusion, delete this one too!

5picker I still see your response and my quote.

I’ll clarify my point. Not all manufactures do a good job of designing the fresh water, black and grey water tank support system. A quick search on our site identifies several issues that owners have with water tank support issues. In my personal situation I have chosen to travel with an empty fw tank. This way I don’t have to worry about tank support issues and I have the added benefit of hauling additional cargo vs water. It works in my situation but yours maybe entirely different. I don’t know the reasons that others have but I’m sure they have their reasons and it may be as you stated that they are overweight or bought the wrong RV or TV.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:40 AM   #70
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:

I’ll clarify my point. Not all manufactures do a good job of designing the fresh water, black and grey water tank support system. A quick search on our site identifies several issues that owners have with water tank support issues. In my personal situation I have chosen to travel with an empty fw tank. This way I don’t have to worry about tank support issues and I have the added benefit of hauling additional cargo vs water. It works in my situation but yours maybe entirely different. I don’t know the reasons that others have but I’m sure they have their reasons and it may be as you stated that they are overweight or bought the wrong RV or TV.
It wasn't your post I was replying to in my post # 66.
It really doesn't matter anyway.

I am certainly not arguing the fact that people use their R/Vs differently.
I was simply pointing out (against the now missing post) that those who advocate dropping their fresh water every time they travel, simply to stay within the limits of what they are safely able to tow haven't done their homework, and none of us should be advocating this is 'normal'.

If you never camp where there are no hook-ups, then maybe you don't see the need to haul water.

Maybe if you never travel very far and are not worried about being stuck somewhere overnight somewhere OTHER than where you planned, then maybe you don't need to haul water.

If you are not the mechanical type and never had to replace a radiator or water pump or hose along the way, then maybe you don't need to haul water.

Maybe if you always stop at public restrooms and never use your facilities, then maybe you don't need to haul water.

If you never stop at a pull-off and have lunch or want to make something to eat, then maybe you don't need to haul water.

Maybe you've never arrived at a campground where the well pumps were not working or the power was out for several hours, then maybe you don't need to haul water.

If you've never traveled on dirty, salty roads and the campground didn't allow rinsing of the rig with THEIR water, then maybe you don't need to haul water.

And the list goes on.

I've told this story here before but I'll tell it again... TWICE I've been saved by hauling water. First time was when we hit a campground where the water was off due to an electrical issue. Our on board water made it nice to go on as though nothing was amiss until the repairs at the campground were made.

Second time was on a RETURN trip from a campground. We were several days from home and our traveling companions at the time (my Aunt & Uncle) had transmission issues and had to be towed to the nearest service center for repairs the following day. We both camped in the parking lot of the repair facility far from where we had planned to spend the evening. They had NO water onboard, we had almost a full tank. I was able to give them some water (hose hooked to my low point drain into their fill port) and we both enjoyed the evening a lot better than we would have had we dumped our fresh tanks before/when leaving the campground.

Yep... different strokes for different folks.
I'll simply never own a R/V where I could not haul a full tank of water with the fear of being too heavy, that it would compromise the supports or thinking it was saving me fuel.

Old 07-27-2020, 12:10 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAlb View Post
I just dump at the end of the trip when I get home.
Me too.
I usually leave the park with a minimal amount of fresh water.

I wouldn't drain it on the site as a courtesy to the next camper as they would't want a wet site.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Old 07-27-2020, 01:20 PM   #72

Quote:

One of the first things I did to my trailer was to reinforce the fresh water support. I drycamp 95% of the time. I ALWAYS haul full water.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:47 PM   #73

Can I ask, what will probably be my 3rd silly question of the week, but we are brand new. Bought TT. Been out twice, both close to home. Never filled fresh water tank. Conject to city water when at campground. Have regulator valve . Time to leave, we disonnect city water, the electric, then dump station if there. Question is, is there any water in my fresh water tank? We open the sink and shower and flush toilet so assuming not, or very little. Is this method ok? For short trips. Understand when we branch out and go further the need for fresh water in tank but if we aren't going far is this method ok, and assuming none or very little is in FW tank when we break camp to leave. Sorry for the ignorance but brand new at this. Thanks for feedback .
Old 07-27-2020, 06:57 PM   #74
PhD, Common Sense

There are only three things I can think of that will fill your FW tank:

1. You fill it with a hose.

2. A device fills it for you (e.g. Shower Miser).

3. You have a malfunctioning valve.

Just using city water should NOT fill your FW tank.
Old 07-27-2020, 07:03 PM   #75

Thought so but thanks for confirming Eye 95
Old 07-27-2020, 08:13 PM   #76

Quote:
It wasn't your post I was replying to in my post # 66.
It really doesn't matter anyway.

I am certainly not arguing the fact that people use their R/Vs differently.
I was simply pointing out (against the now missing post) that those who advocate dropping their fresh water every time they travel, simply to stay within the limits of what they are safely able to tow haven't done their homework, and none of us should be advocating this is 'normal'.

If you never camp where there are no hook-ups, then maybe you don't see the need to haul water.

Maybe if you never travel very far and are not worried about being stuck somewhere overnight somewhere OTHER than where you planned, then maybe you don't need to haul water.

If you are not the mechanical type and never had to replace a radiator or water pump or hose along the way, then maybe you don't need to haul water.

Maybe if you always stop at public restrooms and never use your facilities, then maybe you don't need to haul water.

If you never stop at a pull-off and have lunch or want to make something to eat, then maybe you don't need to haul water.

Maybe you've never arrived at a campground where the well pumps were not working or the power was out for several hours, then maybe you don't need to haul water.

If you've never traveled on dirty, salty roads and the campground didn't allow rinsing of the rig with THEIR water, then maybe you don't need to haul water.

And the list goes on.

I've told this story here before but I'll tell it again... TWICE I've been saved by hauling water. First time was when we hit a campground where the water was off due to an electrical issue. Our on board water made it nice to go on as though nothing was amiss until the repairs at the campground were made.

Second time was on a RETURN trip from a campground. We were several days from home and our traveling companions at the time (my Aunt & Uncle) had transmission issues and had to be towed to the nearest service center for repairs the following day. We both camped in the parking lot of the repair facility far from where we had planned to spend the evening. They had NO water onboard, we had almost a full tank. I was able to give them some water (hose hooked to my low point drain into their fill port) and we both enjoyed the evening a lot better than we would have had we dumped our fresh tanks before/when leaving the campground.

Yep... different strokes for different folks.
I'll simply never own a R/V where I could not haul a full tank of water with the fear of being too heavy, that it would compromise the supports or thinking it was saving me fuel.
Just to explain why some folks cannot carry water. I wanted to but couldn't. It is possible to calculate the weight including the water and still be heavy on the TV but not the trailer.

My trailer is VERY tongue heavy. I calculated payload at 12% using the gross weight of the trailer. It put me close to payload but not over on my half ton. My FW tank is in front of the axles and adds a significant amount of tongue weight. Just to make weights on the truck I had to move almost everything out of storage and to the axles or behind just to get to 14-15% TW. I am not really sure how they got the dry tongue weight because no way I had 500lbs of gear up front. My trailer was always at least 200lbs from gross weights and never over but my truck was because of the heavy tongue, even with a completely empty water tank.

Now I have a 1ton to pull a 7200lb trailer, which BTW is completely ridiculous, but I have less setup time and can now haul water anywhere I want to go for the reasons you list above...now I just have to watch the gross trailer weight.

Sometimes design and reality do get in the way even when the numbers add up. I would not call it normal but it does happen so consider that everyones situation is different.

Even if someone did make a mistake calculating (many don't know when they buy), its more responsible to dump the water (enough here about where/when) than haul it and be heavy. Life happens.

Happy camping!
Old 07-31-2020, 01:54 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstandfast View Post
Hi everyone,

RV newbie here. I'm curious about where/when it's appropriate to dump your fresh water tank. Is it acceptable to just open the dump valve right there in your camp site before you pull up to go dump the black/gray tanks? It's fresh water so technically it's fine to dump anywhere, I was just curious what the accepted protocol is.

Thanks,
Shawn
I work in a RV Resort. People dump fresh water all the time, weather at the site,or on the road. i don't know why, if not to drop weight. But remember you have a porta potty on wheels, which will come in handy on the road.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:03 PM   #78
Site Team - Lou

If I am staying at a campground for a while, I always take a minute (or so) and fill my fresh water tank.

That has saved me more than once.

I was at a campground where they were doing work and cut the water service. Without the tank being filled we would have been forced to move to another campground with no guarantee we would find one.

Having the weight in the camper makes it less susceptible to the wind blowing the camper around in a storm (lower center of gravity).

If the water pressure at a campground could be wonky (like on a long run at the Goshen Fairground temporary sites), you can turn on the water pump and it will cut in when the pressure gets too low. That might prevent you from a dribble shower when your head and eyes are full of soap.

Draining fresh water on the ground is not harmful to anyone and may help the grass and flowers.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:10 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyp1951 View Post
I work in a RV Resort. People dump fresh water all the time, weather at the site,or on the road. i don't know why, if not to drop weight. But remember you have a porta potty on wheels, which will come in handy on the road.
I always dump mine on arrival and then sanitize and add 20 gallons before leaving
Old 07-31-2020, 02:18 PM   #80

Open valve at dump station and drive away. That's what I've done since 1984.
Closed Thread

Tags
fresh water, water