Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 10:47 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
When you stop at a light or intersection the water creates a "Unsafe Condition" for people on Motorcycles! Think of others before you Dump Liquid on a Roadway! Youroo!!

Oh please! I've been riding scooters for my whole life. A little bit of water in the intersection is not going to panic me. Sheesh! Too politically correct.
Old 08-02-2020, 11:55 AM   #82
Brake is on left

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
If you think "DRY pavement and WET pavement" have the Same Safety Factor,you have had too many wrecks without a Helmet! Youroo!!
Traction, no. Safety factor is at the discretion of the pilot in command.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanFMiller View Post
You speak only for yourself FWIW IMHO... For the average non-mega-skilled not-a-race-driver motorcyclist, water on the road is dangerous, especially if their skills are not the best.

Please don't dump on the road...

thanks...
If water in the road is "dangerous" to a cyclist then they should not be riding on the road. There is literally no way in the world that a 1/2" stream of water is going to change the traction on an interstate. Especially in the summer. Half of it evaporates before it hits the pavement. The other half is also quickly vaporized by the heat. Been there and proved it. Raced with slicks on in 103* heat and sprinkling. Surface temps of 140*+ evaporated the water before any effect on traction. And that was surface wide rain! Not a dinky little dribble from a drain.
You do not have to be mega-skilled or a racer to get the physics of water and heat or understand that traction is a product of friction. Traction is provided by the peaks of aggragate in asphalt or concrete. The tire actually wraps around them. Water sits in the valleys until it levels off to the peaks. At that point, the tire has to evacuate the water or it will hydroplane. That tiny stream of water is NOT going to do that. Every damn car is dropping AC condensation or oil or coolant on the road. If a urine stream of water on the highway is dangerous we should all stay home.
Old 08-02-2020, 11:56 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeMaggotBob View Post
Oh please! I've been riding scooters for my whole life. A little bit of water in the intersection is not going to panic me. Sheesh! Too politically correct.
+1. I was wondering if the people saying, don't drain fresh water on the road because it's dangerous to motorcycles actually ride motorcycles. This would be annoying at most, in my opinion. Likely significantly less annoying than someone washing their windows at 65mph. Dangerous? Possibly, but its pretty tough to dream up a scenario where this would be actually dangerous to a motorcyclist.

If you want to help a motorcyclist, keep right except to pass. : )
Old 08-02-2020, 12:26 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeMaggotBob View Post

The problem isn't "A little bit of water in the intersection ... .", it's the passerby-re's preconception of what kind of water that is. Maybe not all, but I would guess most folks thought of a camper(of any sort) leaking a water liquid is that it could be sewer(because sometimes it is), .... I'm pretty sure their first thoughts are not ... "oh, that's ol RangerMaggotBob with his camper and I know he wouldn't let sewer leak, so that's got to be that he's just emptying his fresh water tank as he drives down the road, so no problem, let's go ahead and drive thru that puddle that he left", ... nope, don't believe it happens that way, and I don't believe that you'd not be concerned also as to what the camper ahead of you has left at an intersection as you're on your scooter and could not avoid driving thru it, ... but I could be wrong about that, ...

Old 08-02-2020, 12:28 PM   #85
Site Team

I leave it there til I get home. Then I DRAIN it.

Old 08-02-2020, 01:43 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
The problem isn't "A little bit of water in the intersection ... .", it's the passerby-re's preconception of what kind of water that is. Maybe not all, but I would guess most folks thought of a camper(of any sort) leaking a water liquid is that it could be sewer(because sometimes it is), .... I'm pretty sure their first thoughts are not ... "oh, that's ol RangerMaggotBob with his camper and I know he wouldn't let sewer leak, so that's got to be that he's just emptying his fresh water tank as he drives down the road, so no problem, let's go ahead and drive thru that puddle that he left", ... nope, don't believe it happens that way, and I don't believe that you'd not be concerned also as to what the camper ahead of you has left at an intersection as you're on your scooter and could not avoid driving thru it, ... but I could be wrong about that, ...
Yes, this is the way it works. The RV owner knows that it's water running out on the road. The motorcyclist or car driver may or may not know what the liquid is. Wisely thinking worst case, like sewage or coolant/oil/transmission fluid, the motorcyclist or the car driver has to make an effort to get out of the spray or avoid the puddle.

Why subject other road users to this situation?
Old 08-02-2020, 01:52 PM   #87
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
...Why subject other road users to this situation?
Summed it up in one sentence.

After all, this thread is about etiquette!

And etiquette refers to acceptable behaviors in consideration of others.
Old 08-02-2020, 02:41 PM   #88
Canadian Member

I don’t drain my FW tank until we get home. As others said, draining it on a campsite will create a muddy mess on a site that’s all dirt. On a grassy site its not as bad but still creates a soppy area. Having some water in the tank allows you to use the toilet on the road. That’s especially nice during this COVID epidemic.

I’ve ridden a motorcycle for about 40 years and I would not find a trickle from a FW tank drain to be dangerous on the open road. (Annoying, maybe if I just cleaned all the chrome.) The exception would be, say, at a toll booth or intersection where the surface is already oily and I want to stop and put my foot down.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

Old 08-02-2020, 03:07 PM   #89

I'm not a rider at all ,but both my brothers and nephew are! Water on the roads are part of riding especially on the east coast where you can get a down pour in a minute, Most riders are prepared! Unlike those who will drive in&out of traffic like its perfectly ok and safe to do so ! Water isn't the problem, JMO not starting anything but I won't drain my tanks on the road! I try to give riders room but sometimes they don't really appreciate it.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:36 PM   #90

I never leave home with less the 3/4 full fresh water tank...filled with softened water from home. When leaving a campsite, always have at least 1/2 tank full of fresh water so if one needs to use the restroom while 'in transit' water available to flush the commode. Also if you need to wash your hands after a 'road side' stop for an unplanned event -- like changing a tire, cleaning a cut, etc. Having water available when traveling is always a plus.
Once home, drain an remaining water out in the driveway so it doesn't get 'skanky' sitting in the fresh water tank before the next outing.....even if just the next weekend.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:37 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstandfast View Post
Hi everyone,

RV newbie here. I'm curious about where/when it's appropriate to dump your fresh water tank. Is it acceptable to just open the dump valve right there in your camp site before you pull up to go dump the black/gray tanks? It's fresh water so technically it's fine to dump anywhere, I was just curious what the accepted protocol is.

Thanks,
Shawn
Every campsite I have been at says no dumping at all.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:50 PM   #92

Why would you have a full fwt at a full hook-up site?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Just curious. How is having a space with full hook-ups (sewer included) going to assist with fwt draining.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:52 PM   #93

I use the soapy grey water to flush the black water out of the drain hose so it's not nasty to use again. If your draining the fresh water from the inner tanks, I wouldn't appreciate pulling into a muddy campsite. I haven't used them since we use full service sites, but draining them on the road doesn't seem bad.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:08 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
I leave it there til I get home. Then I DRAIN it.
Short and to the point...X2
Curt 17499 WDH....Hayes Sway Master
Old 08-03-2020, 07:29 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
That's a new one. I guess all the polyethylene tanks on my boats with no baffles are an issue too.
It's called a slack tank, and it can roll a boat over if the tank is a big one. I'm glad we don't have to worry about that with an RV.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:37 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funengineer View Post
There have been some interesting comments and suggestions here. I hope the OP has enough information now to make an informed choice on how to deal with his fresh water tank issue.

I’d like to add the following comments:
First not every RV is designed to carry a full or partial tank of fw, grey or black for that matter so draining is a necessity. If you can travel with full or partial tanks then good for you.
It’s also good to hear from motorcyclists about their concerns about water pooling on the roads at intersections. I never thought about that. I hope that they can avoid those puddles and any mist that might linger in the air. (I’m assuming that everyone is following and stopping at a safe distance) So the people driving shiny clean rigs are afraid of the possibility that some water mist might land on their vehicles. It’s water people not sewage. Again I hope that you’re following at a safe distance. I get it but have to ask what do you do when it rains or when it’s foggy out? What happens when the dust blows? Do you wait for it to stop raining and the roads to dry out or do you push ahead and clean the vehicle when you get home? Same question for the bikers. Someone else posed the question, how do you prevent bugs and rocks from impacting your vehicle or person?

Being a rider, the issue would have to do with cornering. Much like rounding a corner on the Blue Ridge Mtns Highway and seeing wet leaves.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:08 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightseat View Post
It's called a slack tank, and it can roll a boat over if the tank is a big one. I'm glad we don't have to worry about that with an RV.
You must have never owned a boat. Fuel tanks are never the width of a boat for a reason. They are longer than they are wide so there is no problem like that.

I have an 80 gallon tank in my boat. That is 480# full or 240# half full. Even if the tank was the width of the boat, a heavy person jumping from one side of the boat to the other wouldn't hardly be noticed.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:08 PM   #98

At home

I haul my fresh water home and dump it in the driveway as I am unloading, No mess, Nobody mad, nobody questioning, just thinking of myself!!! LOL
Old 08-03-2020, 08:13 PM   #99

In the 25 yrs I always dump mind when i leaving while going down the road. I dont carry any water in my tanks bc of the weight
Old 08-03-2020, 08:14 PM   #100

I made the mistake of letting the fresh water tank drain while moving ONCE. The water mist splattered the rear of the camper and the dust accumulated making a wash job requirement once parked.
We all know, oil drips from vehicles at stop signs/lights. A little water on top of the oil spills makes it extra dangerous....well known by this person who has been riding motorcycles for some 60 years.
Extra care is always taken due to oil drips and water dripping from vehicle A/C units in the summer but one shouldn't add to a possible hazardous condition.
That is my opinion.
Closed Thread

Tags
fresh water, water