Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 08:24 PM   #101
HikerBob

Send a message via MSN to HikerBob Send a message via Yahoo to HikerBob Send a message via Skype™ to HikerBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I leave whatever water is in my tank there for the trip home. Never know when I might need water for flushing and it's not unusual to stop for a meal on the homeward trip.

My camping isn't finished until the TT is parked on the pad in my back yard.
X2
Old 08-03-2020, 08:30 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota 1120 View Post
I made the mistake of letting the fresh water tank drain while moving ONCE. The water mist splattered the rear of the camper and the dust accumulated making a wash job requirement once parked.
We all know, oil drips from vehicles at stop signs/lights. A little water on top of the oil spills makes it extra dangerous....well known by this person who has been riding motorcycles for some 60 years.
Extra care is always taken due to oil drips and water dripping from vehicle A/C units in the summer but one shouldn't add to a possible hazardous condition.
That is my opinion.
never thought about that .So I will rethink about that b4 I do that again
Old 08-03-2020, 08:56 PM   #103
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbty View Post
Why would you have a full fwt at a full hook-up site?
My fresh water tank is close to full always. We start out with it full and refilling (of what we used on the trip) is one of the first things we do on arrival.

I assume you've never camped where the city water stopped working or slowed to a trickle. (pump issues, water main break, storm contamination or loss of power)

Having on-board water allows you to continue on as if nothing went wrong.

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=19
Old 08-03-2020, 09:02 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I have no dog in this fight.... I don't dump on the roadway

I would think that dumping on the road/highway would be illegal.

I never really thought about the scooters, but I don't ride.

I would think the suggestion to route to another area behind/in ditch/in gravel/wherever is a great idea. Nearly all the places I camp have gravel around the parking.

I also think the small drain people should reconsider the dumping options as it might take 20-30 mins to dump a full tank on the highway. Not very considerate IMO

My ? 1 1/2" drain will empty the tank in a hurry when I use it.

I think people think "they are the most important" and "their way is the only way" and "I am not swaying from my current way of thinking". I dunno. I am hard headed, but if someone shows me a reason or a better way... I will listen.

Some people like Mwildcat remote camp and there would be NO reason they could not drain fresh water anywhere. IMO

I dunno. I just try to comply and be understanding.
Where is this 1½” drain located? The standard size gray tank drain is that size and I certainly wouldn’t open it unless connected to a drain hose. Never saw a fresh water drain that big.

Also, my FW drain is on the far right side so if I had it open while driving the water would fall just about on the white line denoting road edge. If a motorcycle was riding there then water would be the very least of the problems.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:04 PM   #105

We dont dump ours, the weight to me is minimal, and we dont drink it, I just leave it there for next time with a little water treatment in it
Old 08-03-2020, 09:07 PM   #106
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Where is this 1½” drain located? The standard size gray tank drain is that size and I certainly wouldn’t open it unless connected to a drain hose. Never saw a fresh water drain that big.

Also, my FW drain is on the far right side so if I had it open while driving the water would fall just about on the white line denoting road edge. If a motorcycle was riding there then water would be the very least of the problems.
Usually near abouts the same location as the smaller drain valves.

Many of the newer R/Vs are coming with a 1-1/2" fresh tank drain with a blade valve just like a grey tank drain.

Old 08-03-2020, 09:52 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstandfast View Post
Hi everyone,

RV newbie here. I'm curious about where/when it's appropriate to dump your fresh water tank. Is it acceptable to just open the dump valve right there in your camp site before you pull up to go dump the black/gray tanks? It's fresh water so technically it's fine to dump anywhere, I was just curious what the accepted protocol is.

Thanks,
Shawn
We aren’t allowed here in Canada some of the soap etc are bad for animals and plants most of our camp sites post no dumping at all that why they have dumping stations
Old 08-03-2020, 10:09 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by wemeyer1954 View Post
We aren’t allowed here in Canada some of the soap etc are bad for animals and plants most of our camp sites post no dumping at all that why they have dumping stations
You have soap in your fresh water in Canada?
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
Old 08-03-2020, 10:11 PM   #109

I must be missing something in the post and replies. If weight issues prevent you from hauling fresh water home, I assume you aren't towing it to the campground with fresh water in the tank either. If you are using the city water supply at the campground, you shouldn't be putting anything into the fresh water tank. Once you turn off the city water, open a faucet or two, and disconnect your water supply hose and open the pop-off valve on your water heater, the only water left will be a little in the camper's water lines and some left in the water heater, which would not add any significant weight.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:13 PM   #110

As a motorcycle rider I thank you so very much for not opening the valve and letting it drain as you go down the road.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:18 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Usually near abouts the same location as the smaller drain valves.

Many of the newer R/Vs are coming with a 1-1/2" fresh tank drain with a blade valve just like a grey tank drain.

Interesting. I don’t see the entire activation portion but it appears one has to pull a short handle, just like the gray tank. If that’s so what do you do to keep the sudden outrush of water from splashing all over you?
Old 08-04-2020, 12:58 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
X2
I also open my fresh water drain as I leave the dump station and let it drain out on the way home.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:12 AM   #113

I always fill my grey and black tanks full with the left over fresh water and empty into sewer, then dump the rest of the fresh water on the grass at the campsites here in NZ as that what they want as it helps the grass grow after a drought, been camping for 20 years and never had one issue dumping fresh water, would never dump fresh water while driving, as a motorcyclists for over 40 years and ride in downpours a lot so hitting puddles is no problem whatsoever, if a motorcyclists cannot handle puddles on the rode then please buy peddle cycle , plus to hear causing puddles in campsites with water being dumped what if it rains what do you do then, complain to the rain. Lol.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:56 AM   #114

National and state parks you’re not allowed to dump any water. Most private campgrounds also. I tell my wife that it’s okay to take long showers now lol. I like to fill the black tank with the remaining fresh water. I’ll leave a little water so if we need it on the road.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:11 AM   #115

As several others have said I empty mine on the concrete pad at home. My E-Pro has a 2" gate valve so takes all of about 2-3 minutes to empty full tank.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:26 AM   #116
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbctmc View Post
I must be missing something in the post and replies. If weight issues prevent you from hauling fresh water home, I assume you aren't towing it to the campground with fresh water in the tank either. If you are using the city water supply at the campground, you shouldn't be putting anything into the fresh water tank. Once you turn off the city water, open a faucet or two, and disconnect your water supply hose and open the pop-off valve on your water heater, the only water left will be a little in the camper's water lines and some left in the water heater, which would not add any significant weight.
when we camp at state parks we dont have water hookups, so we fill up when we get there.

we will usually drain the fresh tank at the dump station and under NO circumstances will i dump on the road. we have been pulled over for having our fresh tank full and water coming out of the overflow. we also dont like the way it tows with water on board (fresh tank behind axle).

Minnesota considers it a "leaking load" and it is a ticket-able offense. the State Trooper was at least nice enough to explain it to me and not cite me for it.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:29 AM   #117

Some years back while staying at a state campground in Colorado during a drought, the campground host asked everyone to drain their grey water on the shrubs and trees at their campsite. Everyone we saw obliged. Don't know if that was just his idea or if it came from higher up.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:49 AM   #118
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Interesting. I don’t see the entire activation portion but it appears one has to pull a short handle, just like the gray tank. If that’s so what do you do to keep the sudden outrush of water from splashing all over you?
Nothing!
My brothers SOB (some other brand) will flat out soak you when you open that with a pretty full tank. It does drain to empty in what seems like about a half a minute though!

Old 08-04-2020, 08:08 AM   #119

Quote:
Nothing!
My brothers SOB (some other brand) will flat out soak you when you open that with a pretty full tank. It does drain to empty in what seems like about a half a minute though!
It takes about 10-12 minutes to empty mine. There’s a valve inside a storage compartment but since it’s a hassle getting to it I extended it to the edge of the MH. Now it’s easy. I believe the actual opening at the end is ⅜ inch. I don’t like getting wet.

Old 08-04-2020, 10:10 AM   #120
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Nothing!
why not make an adapter with a 90 degree pipe? just slip it on when you want to dump, turn it away from you, and put it away when done. nice and dry!
Closed Thread

Tags
fresh water, water