Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 12:41 PM   #21

I drained the fresh water tank on the way home a few times, that is until a very irate biker hauled me over to the shoulder. He got off his bike and as he approached I could see what I had done. He was a splattered mess, he and his bike. I apologized and explained that we had ridden for years and couldn't figure out why I wouldn't have thought of it. He accepted and we carried on after I shut off the drain spigot.

It's a whole other issue with the new ones, it's a 1 1/4" pipe and it gushes. You better not be standing in front of it when you pull the handle now. Talk about splashing your boots.

Paul

2023 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2608BS
2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S
2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2502KS
2012 Ram 2500 6.7L Diesel
Old 07-26-2020, 01:03 PM   #22

Only had to do it on the road once. After getting permission from the office staff, I drained it at the site, but over the grass/gravel area as directed. At home it goes into a dry well while the TT is being washed.
Old 07-26-2020, 01:14 PM   #23

In reading of others experiences it depends on the State and probably mood of the highway patrolman on whether or not you'll get stopped.

I'm sure most states have laws against dumping waste water on the highway so if a patrolman sees water being discharged it's all the excuse they need to stop you. Once they stop you for a legitimate reason they get to check your license, registration, insurance, and even check to see if you have any "invitations" to come to court.

Since they can't just stop people at random they always look for legitimate reasons. If he is getting water drops on his windshield to him it could be waste and that's justification.

Personally I prefer to have conversations with my LEO friends over a cup of coffee, not alongside the highway.

Just saying.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Old 07-26-2020, 01:41 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstandfast View Post
Hi everyone,

RV newbie here. I'm curious about where/when it's appropriate to dump your fresh water tank. Is it acceptable to just open the dump valve right there in your camp site before you pull up to go dump the black/gray tanks? It's fresh water so technically it's fine to dump anywhere, I was just curious what the accepted protocol is.

Thanks,
Shawn
Welcome but please be aware of the correct system identifiers. Your waste water system is identified as Black (Sewage) and Grey (sink & shower) water. As a general rule, it is legal to dump grey water. HOWEVER, many locals do not allow it simply because some do not know the difference and/or accidentally pull the wrong valve open. Your freshwater, can be dumped anywhere, anytime.
Old 07-26-2020, 01:42 PM   #25

I open the fresh drain as I pull away from dump station to let it drain on way home. Once in 10 years ive had a non camper pull up to me to tell me my camper was leaking.
Old 07-26-2020, 01:43 PM   #26

I'm always amazed at how convoluted and complex such trivial things become by the end of a thread.
As with everything, just use common sense.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
Old 07-26-2020, 02:01 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2plus1 View Post
I drained the fresh water tank on the way home a few times, that is until a very irate biker hauled me over to the shoulder. He got off his bike and as he approached I could see what I had done. He was a splattered mess, he and his bike. I apologized and explained that we had ridden for years and couldn't figure out why I wouldn't have thought of it. He accepted and we carried on after I shut off the drain spigot.

Paul
Yes, motorcyclists are especially vulnerable to liquids and solids that come off other vehicles. I’ll bet some people never realized that when they spray their windshield washer at highway speed, the spray launches right over their vehicle and lands on whoever is behind them! That’s why I said in my earlier post that it is rude to dump liquids on the road on the way home.

The wife and I, while out on the public road on motorcycles or scooters, have been spayed by liquid from other vehicles, and have even been sprayed with farm chemicals by careless crop sprayer airplane pilots.

Some people might say they "have been dumping on the road for ten years and no one said anything." Maybe no one has pointed out the problem, because if an RV is dumping liquid on the road, I'm not going to stop them and tell them it's inconsiderate, I'm just going to try to get away from them.
Old 07-26-2020, 02:08 PM   #28

Fresh water drain?

It’s been said, and I have experienced it...

A small dribble of water at 65 mph, creates a VERY obnoxious spray behind a trailer. It’s enough to force a follower to use washers and wipers. And if the follower is a motorcycle or bicyclist...😡
Old 07-26-2020, 02:48 PM   #29

Bad idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funengineer View Post
I open mine just before I leave the dump station and let it drain on the way home.
This is NOT the thing to do! How would YOU like to be following some guy pulling a TT and having spray hit your newly washed, or ANY vehicle, car? That's bad taste and definitely NOT neighborly by ANY stretch!
Old 07-26-2020, 03:07 PM   #30

Fresh water

I always leave about 1/4 tank of fresh water in tank for bathroom and in case I need water for the tow vehicle. Had a hose clamp break on a heater hose , it blew off , lost almost all coolant. Had spare clamp and glad had water supply.
Old mechanic and Boy Scout. “Be Prepared “.
Old 07-26-2020, 03:13 PM   #31

Whenever we are traveling our FW tank is either full or empty. Never half full as the water will slosh around and could damage the tank. Think about a tanker truck with no baffles. They are hard to handle.

Draining out on the road will only lead to problems and draining in the campsite will cause issues as well unless you are in a full hook up site with sewage drain.
Old 07-26-2020, 03:23 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsimes View Post
Never half full as the water will slosh around and could damage the tank.
That's a new one. I guess all the polyethylene tanks on my boats with no baffles are an issue too.
Old 07-26-2020, 03:57 PM   #33
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
That's a new one. I guess all the polyethylene tanks on my boats with no baffles are an issue too.
Just like the 30+ gallon fuel tanks on diesel trucks, whether a pickup or F550, don't have baffles in the fuel tanks. On the big rigs with metal tanks capable of 100+ gallons per tank there is usually baffles installed.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Old 07-26-2020, 03:59 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDave View Post
This is NOT the thing to do! How would YOU like to be following some guy pulling a TT and having spray hit your newly washed, or ANY vehicle, car? That's bad taste and definitely NOT neighborly by ANY stretch!
Maybe the thing to do is not follow so close. I do have several trucks that leak a little oil that might cause you problems also...
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
Old 07-26-2020, 03:59 PM   #35

Especially now with Covid and bathrooms being closed it is nice to have a bathroom in tow should you need it.

I dump my fresh tank at home, have also dumped grey, I have a gravel driveway and live in the country.
2018 25 2019 25
2020 24 2021 28 2022 302023 30
Old 07-26-2020, 04:06 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDave View Post
I guess washing my windshield when a guy is tailgating me in his BMW would be bad taste?
Old 07-26-2020, 04:12 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsimes View Post
Draining out on the road will only lead to problems and draining in the campsite will cause issues as well unless you are in a full hook up site with sewage drain.
Just curious. How is having a space with full hook-ups (sewer included) going to assist with fwt draining.
Old 07-26-2020, 04:13 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I guess washing my windshield when a guy is tailgating me in his BMW would be bad taste?
You got it
Old 07-26-2020, 04:14 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstandfast View Post
Hi everyone,

RV newbie here. I'm curious about where/when it's appropriate to dump your fresh water tank. Is it acceptable to just open the dump valve right there in your camp site before you pull up to go dump the black/gray tanks? It's fresh water so technically it's fine to dump anywhere, I was just curious what the accepted protocol is.

Thanks,
Shawn
Only fresh water dump away . there is no one rule fits .
Old 07-26-2020, 04:17 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Just curious. How is having a space with full hook-ups (sewer included) going to assist with fwt draining.

Disconnect city water. Turn on pump and open some inside faucets, maybe even flush the toilet. Fresh water tank empties. Turn off your pump. Drain your waste tanks into the site sewer. Better than draining the fresh water on to the ground.

Tags
fresh water, water