Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 09:09 PM   #1

Fresh water dump etiquette

Hi everyone,

RV newbie here. I'm curious about where/when it's appropriate to dump your fresh water tank. Is it acceptable to just open the dump valve right there in your camp site before you pull up to go dump the black/gray tanks? It's fresh water so technically it's fine to dump anywhere, I was just curious what the accepted protocol is.

Thanks,
Shawn
Old 07-25-2020, 09:12 PM   #2

I open mine just before I leave the dump station and let it drain on the way home.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:15 PM   #3

You pose a good question, Fresh water tank only? Why do you want to dump it after hauling it to the camp site ? Just asking ? But I'm thinking fresh water shouldn't be a problem. Best to ask camp site to be sure.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:15 PM   #4
PhD, Common Sense

I have never felt the need to dump my fresh water tank. However, I’d worry about making a muddy mess at the camp ground. So, I’d try to open all faucets while dumping the gray tank.

In the camp ground sewer system, the water won’t create a muddy mess at the camp site.

Just a thought. I have never done this.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstandfast View Post
Hi everyone,

RV newbie here. I'm curious about where/when it's appropriate to dump your fresh water tank. Is it acceptable to just open the dump valve right there in your camp site before you pull up to go dump the black/gray tanks? It's fresh water so technically it's fine to dump anywhere, I was just curious what the accepted protocol is.

Thanks,
Shawn
I would not dump it at the camp site. How would you like to pull into a muddy mess that some one else left, and not knowing what type of water it was. You might leave at 11AM and someone else pull in as you leave.

If you drain it going down the road you might get pulled over and have to explain that it is only water and not waste.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Old 07-25-2020, 09:23 PM   #6

Do not open the drain for the ride home.

Everyone who passed me waved me over. Thought I was dumping sewage!!!!

You have to stop. Good samaritans. One time, I learned the hard way, to always lock all fiver doors. They will bounce open on rough roads. A lot of highways are rough!

Learning every day.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:29 PM   #7
DaveAlb

I just dump at the end of the trip when I get home.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:31 PM   #8

I dump excess fresh water on my driveway as I’m unpacking the RV when I get home. As mentioned before, if you dump it at the campsite, you could possibly leave a muddy mess. Letting the water stream out on the road during the drive home would be rude.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:49 PM   #9

before we got our seasonal site we would dump when we got home our camper pulled much better with a full water tank. so even if we went some where with water hook ups we filled before we left and dumped it out when we got home
Old 07-25-2020, 10:05 PM   #10

We usually don't dump any fresh water, as we use the RV often enough to always keep some onboard.
But when we do dump it, I never dump it in or near any RV park, or anywhere where it would collect unless I'm at my house.
When I do dump it, it's usually when pulling on to a main road. As slow as it drains out, I can't imagine it creating any problems for anyone behind me. And I never had anyone flag me over for it either.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
Old 07-25-2020, 11:04 PM   #11

I had weight issues and always dumped as I left the dump station. It dribbles out slow enough that over 30mph no one saw it. It does not drain any more and an A/C condenser when sitting at a light and I have never been flagged down.

Now I will drain most of it but not all when I get home. I like having some in the tank now during the drive now that I upgraded trucks and no long care about the weight issue.
Old 07-26-2020, 12:43 AM   #12

Agree that you do not want to dump the fresh water at the campsite. Most places prohibit it because it can erode the base of the campsite.
Old 07-26-2020, 01:03 AM   #13

If I am going to dump my grey/black water tanks at the campground, then I will pump the remainder of my FW tank into those tanks until they are 2/3+ full before dumping them at the dump station. I won't open my FW tank drain until I am leaving the campground, because like others have said, I dont want to leave a mess at a camp site. But... I have no issues rolling down the road while the FW tank is still draining. I too have weight issues and am over my weight limits with water in the FW tank.
Old 07-26-2020, 01:21 AM   #14

I drain what's left of my fresh water at home unless I am going camping again soon.

I always leave for any trips from home with full fresh water so bringing a few pounds home is no big deal.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funengineer View Post
I open mine just before I leave the dump station and let it drain on the way home.
X2
Old 07-26-2020, 08:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funengineer View Post
When you stop at a light or intersection the water creates a "Unsafe Condition" for people on Motorcycles! Think of others before you Dump Liquid on a Roadway! Youroo!!
Old 07-26-2020, 08:10 AM   #17

If there is a dump station that I need to use on the way out of a campground, I hook my outdoor shower hose to my black tank flush. Then when I dump, I use the remaining hot water in my system to flush the black tank while one of my gray tanks is draining. After the last gray tank has drained, I pump the rest of my fresh water into my black tank for the next leg of the journey. With some Dawn soap and Pinesol in the black tank, the water sloshes and washes everything clean.
This is a quick method and you don't have to muck about with the flush hose at a nasty dump station.
Step 1. Drain a few gallons of gray to wet the hose and make sure all hose connections are not leaking and do not pop off.
Step 2. Drain the black tank and then close it.
Step 3. Drain the gray tank that is most full and turn on the hot water to the outside shower that is now hooked to my black tank flush (water pump must still be on)
Step 4. Drain the black tank again, close it, turn on shower water again to pump remaining water into the black tank.
Step 5. Drain the remaining gray tank.
Step 6. Pull up, stow gear, pour Dawn and Pinsol down the commode, turn off water pump.
10-15 minute job at most.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
Old 07-26-2020, 11:10 AM   #18

I leave whatever water is in my tank there for the trip home. Never know when I might need water for flushing and it's not unusual to stop for a meal on the homeward trip.

My camping isn't finished until the TT is parked on the pad in my back yard.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Old 07-26-2020, 11:48 AM   #19
Just as confused as you

If you have a outside shower adapt it for a garden hose and use your fw for the trees, shrubbery or flowers. Many campgrounds would appreciate having someone water their plants. Just a thought.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Old 07-26-2020, 12:12 PM   #20

I bought some gutters and drain it over the sidewalk and on the lawn when I get home.
Closed Thread

Tags
fresh water, water