Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2017, 09:04 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryo View Post
All manufacturers do not recommend traveling with liquid in the tanks.
What the H good is a tank if you can't carry water in it ???
It is way past time the Government got involved in this !!!
Guess they are waiting for someone to get killed !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:40 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
What the H good is a tank if you can't carry water in it ???
It is way past time the Government got involved in this !!!
Guess they are waiting for someone to get killed !!!
Is probably a government regulation. Like I said, it's not a Forrest river thing, it's everyone.
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:59 AM   #23

Quote:
Is probably a government regulation. Like I said, it's not a Forrest river thing, it's everyone.
I call BS. There is no government regulation about tanks on RVs and if by chance there is it would be something like "Tanks must be securely installed" or something to that effect.

It is a Forest River /LCI problem. I have seen no posts about failing tank supports at the Keystone or Heartland boards and my previous Aerolite and Keystone had no issues. They did not use the LCI support assemblies despite being LCI frames.

And no one, Forest River included, tells you not to tow with water in tanks in any official documentation.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:23 AM   #24
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
All manufacturers do not recommend traveling with liquid in the tanks.
Ummm, Careful with blanket statements...

From my Coachmen owners manual - "Empty the holding tanks before leaving
on a trip, and as often as possible when traveling to help keep weight reduced. Try to carry only as much water as you will need while traving. Sometimes, the water tanks can be used to help balance the weight in the recreational vehicle (a gallon of water weighs 8 pounds)."

Yes it says to empty all tanks but that is for GVWR considerations and even go as far as saying you can use the tanks to balance the load. No where does it say they do not recommend traveling with liquid.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:45 AM   #25

I give. Lci pretty much is everyone.
2011 Puma 295kbh
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:10 PM   #26
Canadian Member

Last year, on our first trip after dewinterizing, I towed our TT with full black and grey tanks to the campground about an hour away where I could flush out the tanks after treating them with RV Digest-It. No problems. Sorry you folks are having these problems but my 2 Rockwoods have been OK. On my Roo the tanks did bulge over the supports but the supports held well. My current TT has the belly covered with the black coroplast sheets so I can't see the tanks but they don't appear to be dropping enough to push down on the coroplast.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:08 PM   #27

Quote:
2nd time you said "it's everyone". Please find anywhere in Keystone info where it is stated not to carry full FW. Please on the Keystone Forums find where a tank has fallen to the street or even required more support. I'm not knocking FR, but the problem seems isolated to some, not all, FR models and has for some time. I have been on here and the Keystone forums for some time. Have owned FR and may again. Own a Cougar and have gone over all info provided and the forums... asked a friend that has been on the Winnie forums for years ~~ no mention there either. Just looking for clarity....
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:42 PM   #28
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
I give. Lci pretty much is everyone.
Since you mentioned LCI and I could not find anything either way I emailed them and asked them directly...

ME- "Good afternoon!

I own a travel trailer with a Lippert frame and I am being told that your company does not recommend traveling with any liquids in the storage tanks (fresh, gray, black). Is this true that your company does not recommend traveling with water(etc) in the tanks?

Thanks in advance!"

AND Here is what the had to say.....

"Good afternoon,

Yes this is true. This can cause unwanted strain or damage when traveling. Thank you for contacting LCI Customer Service for any other contact or responses concerning this case please only reply to this email thread.

Thank you,
Garth Collins
574-537-8900"

So....bottom line is you are correct that it is not recommended for any manufacturer that uses a Lippert Frame. I am not sure how many don't use LCI but there are some....Northwoods come to mind.

So thanks Larryo we learned something today!!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
Old 04-13-2017, 04:00 PM   #29
Site Team

Here's my story and I'm sticking to it.
My frame is NoT built by Lippert; it is an NGX frame by BAL.
I don't know if my Wildcat user's guide says I can or can't carry water when I tow (hmmm... does it say I have a fresh water tank? don't think I've ever looked). My fresh water tank supports (not built by Lippert unless BAL frames use Lippert fresh water tank supports) also buckled. Was I towing with a full tank? No... never... 10 gals. max. So what did I do to cause the problem? I filled my tank with bleach water to sanitize it... and when I opened the belly cover to check a sewer tank valve, I found a pooooooched down water tank. Wildcat warranty told me how to shore it up enough to make the trip to Goshen which I was already planning. Wildcat techs and their management crawled under my trailer at Goshen and declared that my fix was better than they could do. I'm hoping that's the end of this story.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115; Booked for 2022 = 41
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:18 PM   #30
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
I don't know if my Wildcat user's guide says I can or can't carry water when I tow (hmmm... does it say I have a fresh water tank? don't think I've ever looked). My fresh water tank supports (not built by Lippert unless BAL frames use Lippert fresh water tank supports) also buckled. Was I towing with a full tank? No... never... 10 gals. max. So what did I do to cause the problem? I filled my tank with bleach water to sanitize it... and when I opened the belly cover to check a sewer tank valve, I found a pooooooched down water tank. Wildcat warranty told me how to shore it up enough to make the trip to Goshen which I was already planning. Wildcat techs and their management crawled under my trailer at Goshen and declared that my fix was better than they could do. I'm hoping that's the end of this story.
Crazy that you even had the problem!! Good luck!!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
Old 04-13-2017, 04:42 PM   #31
Site Team

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4981.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	300.5 KB
ID:	134655Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4982.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	333.9 KB
ID:	134656

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115; Booked for 2022 = 41
Old 04-13-2017, 05:06 PM   #32
(Dry Huunday)

Looks like an overfilled water bed!!!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
Old 04-13-2017, 05:27 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
Since you mentioned LCI and I could not find anything either way I emailed them and asked them directly...

ME- "Good afternoon!

I own a travel trailer with a Lippert frame and I am being told that your company does not recommend traveling with any liquids in the storage tanks (fresh, gray, black). Is this true that your company does not recommend traveling with water(etc) in the tanks?

Thanks in advance!"

AND Here is what the had to say.....

"Good afternoon,

Yes this is true. This can cause unwanted strain or damage when traveling. Thank you for contacting LCI Customer Service for any other contact or responses concerning this case please only reply to this email thread.

Thank you,
Garth Collins
574-537-8900"

So....bottom line is you are correct that it is not recommended for any manufacturer that uses a Lippert Frame. I am not sure how many don't use LCI but there are some....Northwoods come to mind.

So thanks Larryo we learned something today!!
Yes.....what we learned is what I had already knew.......LCI is a POS company and that's the bottom line LOL.

I dealt with them last April and they made no mention of the statement you posted. They agreed to repair mine but the terms were take it to the dealer, and we will send someone to repair it. That was fine. What was not fine was when I asked for a timeframe of how long it would take to send a tech after the dealer had the trailer, and the response was when we have a tech in the area, we can not give you a timeframe. Now that could mean 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months, or 2 years. Screw LCI. Seeing that I had only had owned the trailer for about 24 hours when I found the issue, that was slightly unacceptable in my book.

The statement quoted in that response is typical LCI CYA BS.

Ok, they do not recommend it despite no warning in writing anywhere. Not in the manual, not in the brochure, not in the warranty docs, not on the LCI or any FR website. Every trailer has a yellow decal referencing cargo capacity and the GVWR somewhere. It will also tell you what a full tank of water weighs, and that weight needs to be deducted from the cargo capacity. Why tell you what a full tank weighs and to deduct it from the cargo capacity, if it's not recommended or permissible to tow with water in the tank to begin with? What the decal does not tell you is do not move the trailer with water in the tank. Maybe you need to deduct the weight while the trailer is static LOL.

So there you have it. Since the vast majority of people on this forum with a towable have LCI frames, you had better not be towing it around with water in the tank. It sort of makes a travel trailer worthless in my eyes. My prior Aerolite and Keystone both had LCI frames, and no requirement to not travel with water in the tanks.

Whatever......I know my tanks are not falling out as I made the supports myself. I now have two tanks at 39 gallons each, and have towed them at least 5000 miles last year full without causing unwanted strain or damage.

I know the next trailer I buy if there is one, will not be on an LCI frame, that is if one can be found without an LCI frame. Almost everything made, marketed, or associated with LCI is absolute garbage.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:40 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Yours was strictly a FR issue. I see no deflection or bends in the bar joist which was part of the BAL frame. It was the idiotic way the tank was installed. I sure would like to meet the idiot that came up with that arrangement.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:06 PM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Yours was strictly a FR issue. I see no deflection or bends in the bar joist which was part of the BAL frame. It was the idiotic way the tank was installed.
Yep... with a clearer head, I agree with the "no deflection" assessment. The water weight made the bottom of the tank bulge down which pulled the sides of the tank in which allowed the tank to squeeze down between the side rails. These side rails were attached to the trailer's frame with a slightly wider spacing at one end than the other. That caused the tank to drop worse on the fill end.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:11 PM   #36
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Yes.....what we learned is what I had already knew.......LCI is a POS company and that's the bottom line LOL.

I dealt with them last April and they made no mention of the statement you posted. They agreed to repair mine but the terms were take it to the dealer, and we will send someone to repair it. That was fine. What was not fine was when I asked for a timeframe of how long it would take to send a tech after the dealer had the trailer, and the response was when we have a tech in the area, we can not give you a timeframe. Now that could mean 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months, or 2 years. Screw LCI. Seeing that I had only had owned the trailer for about 24 hours when I found the issue, that was slightly unacceptable in my book.

The statement quoted in that response is typical LCI CYA BS.

Ok, they do not recommend it despite no warning in writing anywhere. Not in the manual, not in the brochure, not in the warranty docs, not on the LCI or any FR website. Every trailer has a yellow decal referencing cargo capacity and the GVWR somewhere. It will also tell you what a full tank of water weighs, and that weight needs to be deducted from the cargo capacity. Why tell you what a full tank weighs and to deduct it from the cargo capacity, if it's not recommended or permissible to tow with water in the tank to begin with? What the decal does not tell you is do not move the trailer with water in the tank. Maybe you need to deduct the weight while the trailer is static LOL.

So there you have it. Since the vast majority of people on this forum with a towable have LCI frames, you had better not be towing it around with water in the tank. It sort of makes a travel trailer worthless in my eyes. My prior Aerolite and Keystone both had LCI frames, and no requirement to not travel with water in the tanks.

Whatever......I know my tanks are not falling out as I made the supports myself. I now have two tanks at 39 gallons each, and have towed them at least 5000 miles last year full without causing unwanted strain or damage.

I know the next trailer I buy if there is one, will not be on an LCI frame, that is if one can be found without an LCI frame. Almost everything made, marketed, or associated with LCI is absolute garbage.
Agreed it is ridiculous to manufacture a frame so cheaply that you dont recommend it to be used as 99% of the users will use it!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
Old 04-14-2017, 07:27 AM   #37

Same issue here with mine. Not a FR product but I believe to be LCI frame. Did the repair myself, 1/2" CDX plywood to evenly distribute weight, 5/8" square steel tubing screwed to frame, added two "C "channel aluminum supports not shown for added redundancy.
The unit is Crossroads a Thor company. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1786.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	300.2 KB
ID:	134693Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1850.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	305.3 KB
ID:	134694 Now carry 53 gallons FWT without issue.
Poper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:36 AM   #38

Nice job Poper!

Sure does make me want to pull the coroplast and take a look, just because I haven't got anything better to modify. Can't imagine that tank could be pushed up far enough for the plywood and tubing, but, maybe. Sure hate to have that bugger drop when I'm boogieing down the interstate, although I only do locals with the tank full
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:24 AM   #39

Wonder if it's a certain size tank issue?
We have a 100 gallon tank and traveled 200 miles with a full tank several times without a issue.
Dropping a tank of this size on a highway would severely damage a car. I've read tanks are even larger on the bigger units.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:49 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
Nice job Poper!

Sure does make me want to pull the coroplast and take a look, just because I haven't got anything better to modify. Can't imagine that tank could be pushed up far enough for the plywood and tubing, but, maybe. Sure hate to have that bugger drop when I'm boogieing down the interstate, although I only do locals with the tank full
Seeing and then restructuring the tank support was kind of a blessing in disguise for me. I had to pull my coroplast and remove and repair the FWT because the previous owner had same issue with sagging tank etc. he had CW do a repair. They added two and steel straps and inadvertently screwed the coroplast through the tank bottom. (Look close you can see screw holes). I had enough room for plywood and tubing, but was concerned about full tank now pushing upward. Non issue thus far. The 2"aluminum "C" channel I installed on exterior side of coroplast. I like redundancy..
Poper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank