Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2017, 06:48 AM   #1

Fridge Size

We are shopping still for our first travel trailer. Are we crazy to want to pass on any model that has the smaller dorm size fridges? Our first hunch was these were just to small, but I have seen videos from a family of 4 using a trailer with one without issue. It's just me and my wife. How do people get around the lack of fridge space in these? We are beer drinkers so we need our beer nice and cold. Do you just use a cooler for drinks? And where do you keep it so it doesn't eat up floor space?
JasonSCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:52 AM   #2
"On the road again"

My wife and I had a very small fridge in our first couple of trailers - then got the larger propane/electric on our immediate past one. It was a challenge on long trips to keep everything in the fridge. Our favorite camping place is a ferry ride and about 30 minutes from the nearest WalMart.

On our last trailer we got the 19 cubic feet residential fridge with in-door water/ice and absolutely love it. Looking back - I'm not sure how we ever survived without it. :-)

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:08 AM   #3

Ours has the 4 door propane / electric fridge with ice maker.

Would not want a smaller one even though just the two of us. Much easier to stock for longer period between trips to grocery store.

We do have a Coleman powered cooler we keep outside for drinks etc to minimize trips in and out.

Also have a portable ice maker we use so all freezer space is available for food.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:18 AM   #4

I'm assuming you are pulling your trailer to different campgrounds. If so you're going to have to rely on coolers for the most part, especially for your beer. Get one if the electric models, that's your best bet for that. Since it's only the two of you the mini fridge should be fine for food.
Mdaniels4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSCarter View Post
We are shopping still for our first travel trailer. Are we crazy to want to pass on any model that has the smaller dorm size fridges? Our first hunch was these were just to small, but I have seen videos from a family of 4 using a trailer with one without issue. It's just me and my wife. How do people get around the lack of fridge space in these? We are beer drinkers so we need our beer nice and cold. Do you just use a cooler for drinks? And where do you keep it so it doesn't eat up floor space?
There are a Lot of Loose Ends here! How Large of RV/How many Cases of Beer/How many Cold at one time/How many cases in reserve/Will the Campground ALLOW drinking? Youroo!!
Old 12-11-2017, 09:18 AM   #6

JasonSCarter, I see where they make a "Yetti Camper" this thing could be used as a "Complete Refrigerator"! Check it out! Youroo!!
Old 12-11-2017, 03:35 PM   #7
Site Team

We had two pop ups with dorm size fridges.
They're fine for weekend camping but I wouldn't want to rely on one for any longer trip.
We do extended trips and NEVER would have a small fridge.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:38 PM   #8

Yeah, figured the same thing. Weekend would be ok...but anything longer will be a pain in the butt. So we are probably sticking to our guns and staying away from the ones with the smaller ones.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:09 PM   #9

Our standard size Dometic fridge in our 3010DS, Just 2 of us. We have done 3 months in it and never had any problem with space. We do use a separate Engel cooler/freezer for or beverages, Runs off of 12V or 110v . It switches automatically . Very low amp draw on the 12v side.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:30 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

R/V refrigerators are nice and work great for keeping food chilled.

Nothing beats a good ice chest cooler for keeping beer frosty cold. (lots of beer!)

Leave the beer out of the refrigerator and reach in the ice chest and grab a COLD one!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:46 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
R/V refrigerators are nice and work great for keeping food chilled.

Nothing beats a good ice chest cooler for keeping beer frosty cold. (lots of beer!)

Leave the beer out of the refrigerator and reach in the ice chest and grab a COLD one!

I CONCUR.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:42 PM   #12

In the past, on heavy beer weekends, we've used the tub in the bathroom as a cooler. It'll hold 2 30 packs of beer and 2 big bags of ice.
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge