Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 11:28 AM   #21

Been to Mexico a couple of times, need passports, RV insurance for Mexico, and you can spend a lot of time getting though the check stations.
edcronin01 is offline   Reply
Old 09-16-2015, 11:34 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabbwr View Post
The only border I'll cross and feel safe at is the northern one.
that's great to hear

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply
Old 09-16-2015, 11:54 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I think most of it comes down to common sense. Just as you wouldn't go into a "bad" section of town here, you do the same in a foreign country. Personally, I love to vacation in Mexico, Guatemala, Belize.... Some of the friendliest people on earth. If you want to be catered to, your entire trip, I highly suggest it.
I agree with AquaMan..... common sense goes a long way and it goes for every country one visits. I personally feel just as safe in MX as any other country we have visited.

In 2013 we drove down with the truck to the tip of Baja, MX. Wonderful trip, friendly people and good food. We stayed in hotels, motels, and rented a condo. We even rented a trailer on the beach, just wonderful.

In October this year we will head down again, this time with our 5th wheel trailer. We will spend 3-4 months.

Safe travels.
My RV Cookbook now on Amazon! USA or Canada
Travel Blog
Cooking Blog
Anders is offline   Reply
Old 09-16-2015, 12:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Dixon View Post
What would you think about doing a FROG rally in San Felipe, Mexico? It is 125 miles south of Calexico, California and on the beaches of the Gulf of California. We could caravan from the border, so we would be safe in numbers. The weather is very warm even in mid-winter, the best time to go. Do you think many FROG'ers would go for it?
If it wasn't so dam far for us and travel health insurance providers weren't so picky I would do it in a heart beat, but alas I can't this year!
Old 09-16-2015, 12:04 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Actually I'm flying down to Mexico on Saturday to spend a week at a resort on the Yucatan Peninsula. I will be celebrating my 70th birthday at an all-inclusive resort. YEA!
Have a very happy birthday Bob and enjoy your time there!
Old 09-16-2015, 12:37 PM   #26
Site Team

The site team is currently reviewing this thread, as it has some posts that are kinda borderline. We are going to temporarily close it while it's reviewed. We will reopen it shortly.

EDIT: We did a small cleanup here. Reminder to please keep this thread on topic. If you don't have experience with the subject matter at hand, then it would be better to find a topic where you do. Also, leave guns, religion, and politics out of this (as per our guidelines), unless they particularly pertain to the question/subject matter and RV'ing.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply
Old 09-16-2015, 01:11 PM   #27

I go to Colima Mexico once a year I take my 5th wheel and stay about four months as long as you are aware of your surroundings and use common sense You will be fine
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply
Old 09-16-2015, 03:23 PM   #28
RV Vagabond Jerry

Quote:
Is Ultra-Low Sulfur diesel fuel readily available in Mexico?
I don't know, but it is only 250 miles in and out of Mexico so you would not need to buy fuel there.
Jerry Dixon is offline   Reply
Old 09-16-2015, 03:30 PM   #29
RV Vagabond Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Bliss View Post
What made you think of that destination? Have you experienced this before?
I spent a weekend camping right on the San Felipe beach once, and it was very nice and entertaining, and excellent for a mid-winter getaway.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:33 PM   #30
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I think most of it comes down to common sense. Just as you wouldn't go into a "bad" section of town here, you do the same in a foreign country. Personally, I love to vacation in Mexico, Guatemala, Belize.... Some of the friendliest people on earth. If you want to be catered to, your entire trip, I highly suggest it.
The big difference is, we usually recognize those areas here in the states and can avoid them but have no idea what those similar areas are in Mexico. IMO, it is just not worth the gamble.
OldCoot is offline   Reply
Old 09-16-2015, 03:40 PM   #31
RV Vagabond Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwoodjoe View Post
It is illegal to enter Mexico with a gun. (Unless your a drug dealer and paying off the local law enforcement.) No way I want to spend 10 minutes in a Mexico jail.
Never take guns into Mexico without a hunting permit. You can keep them in a California gun store for a $30 fee.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:40 PM   #32

FROG Rally in Mexico

We are from Ontario and find this location to be a bit far for a FROG rally also the cost of insurance to bring our RV into Mexico is too much to consider any rally there. As far as feeling safe in Mexico or any place for that matter, it all depends on where and when you go. We winter in the Rio Grande Valley in Southern Texas and go to Nuevo Progreso, Mx, on a bi-weekly basis. The locals treat us great and we feel perfectly safe. Can't beat the food, prices and fun. Whatever is decided, we are sure everyone will have a good time. We're RVers after all. Have a rally up North in the summer and we'll show you our Canadian hospitality and a really good time.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply
Old 09-16-2015, 05:45 PM   #33
Always Learning

Quote:
I have to wonder how many of those who think Mexico is so unsafe have actually been to Mexico. The news media blows any and every situation way out of proportion. Remember the Ferguson riots? During our travels last year we actually met people who cancelled trips to St. Louis because of the rioting that had taken place. The rioting in Ferguson actually happened within just a few square blocks in Ferguson and in St. Louis there was little more than demonstrations that got out of hand. RVers actually posted questions on rv.net wondering if it was safe to drive through St. Louis using the Interstate Highway system. I found it all very amusing.
In my opinion we have become a country of “scaredy cats” as evident by all the CCW permits folks have.
Did anyone here follow the BLOG of Tioga and George? Here’s a frail old man traveling alone in Mexico in a Class C and he rarely stayed in RV parks choosing instead to park in empty lots or on beaches. If Mexico was a dangerous as everyone seems to think it is he would have been killed in his first year. His BLOG followers were always telling him it was too dangerous and he should return to the U.S. Of course his BLOG followers were basing their warnings not on personal experience but merely news reports. It was his one-vehicle accident that totaled his Class C that finally brought him back to the U.S.

Well said, Oakman. What I saw in this thread were gross generalities.

I've read of quite a few RVer reports of going into Mexico with nary a bad reference in them.

I'd possibly be interested if the timing worked out AND if my family actually got off their duff and bought passports. Gets expensive quick for a family of 4.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:20 PM   #34

Frogs in Mexico

I just pulled this up from the State Department. I love Mexico but it's not really a good time to be there.

Mexico Travel Warning

2015 Wildcat Maxx T28RKX
PhilB is offline   Reply
Old 09-16-2015, 06:33 PM   #35
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
With all the thousands of places to see and experiance here in the USA, why in the world would you want to have an event in a country that basically hates us, and all the while their citizens are trying to come HERE!!!
Grumpy
Agree. as said also more to dee and do here in the good old USA Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply
Old 09-16-2015, 06:38 PM   #36

PhilB, can't wait to read the replies on this one.

2016 Silverado Dually
2016 Cedar Creek Champagne 38el
Total Bliss is offline   Reply
Old 09-16-2015, 06:40 PM   #37

There is a lot of places that I would like to go and I have been to right many countries that I like, being in the Army for 22 years I got to see right many. I can think of one that I don't want to see again, but I don't ever plan to see Mexico. Everyone is different, there is a lot in the 49 states that I want to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply
Old 09-16-2015, 07:06 PM   #38

South of the Boarder

If you are talking of Baha, it is much safer then the mainline side. We Sailed in Mexico 6 months of the year from 1997 thru 2004 and loved it and the people. Things have definitely changed but I know of folks that RV there. My wife is very hesitent to go back, I would love to take our trailer "Tug Boat" down to the Baha side, probably San Felipe as we have friends that have a home there.
Burk
Burk is offline   Reply
Old 09-16-2015, 08:55 PM   #39

Back in July I traveled into Mexico daily from Cali for 3 days, going thru border crossing in Tiajuana and down thru Tecate. I was driven daily by a security contractor from the California side till final destination inside a gated facility. I personally never had a bad experience but still felt a little unsettled during the drive, even while being inside a armored vehicle. Just my 2 cents.

2015 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504s
2015 Toyota Tundra Crewmax
Equal-i-zer hitch
Nights camped 2014 - 6
Nights camped 2015 - 20
AFitz is offline   Reply
Old 09-16-2015, 09:58 PM   #40

I was recently briefed by a Border Patrol Agent who told me that a NEXUS card works a lot better than even a Passport to travel to and from Canada, Mexico, and most of the Amarica's. He said it even will help speed you thru Homeland Security checks during domestic flights. And he said the best thing is the cost is only $60 compared to the cost of a Passport.

Of course this was one agents opinoin so please check into it before making any decisions.

In Michigan and I believe other border states we have the option of getting an Enhanced drivers license which allows us to reenter the US from Canada and Mexico if traveling by a vehicle.

bop11 is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
frog