Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2019, 08:19 PM   #1

FROG rally - to go or not to go

I got an email today about the FROG rallies for this year and one is relatively close to where we live. We've never gone to a rally like this and I'm just trying to figure out if it is for us or not.

A bit about us and our camping - we usually camp in state or county parks and we go camping to "get away" for the weekend or longer. Some times we meet up with another couple or friends that are RVers and other times it's just us & the furry kids. We have camped at a number of RV resorts but we seldom "socialize" at these places. We're not anti-social, we just aren't big chatting up a lot of strangers.

So what's a FROG rally like? Would we find things that were interesting for us or would we be trying to find a place to hide from the crowds?
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:37 PM   #2
Georgia Rally Coordinator

You did not mention which rally you maybe interested in. Basically the smaller rallys are very fun to attend. If you like to visit places that have interesting things to see in the area. You have free time to sight see. Just for info I do a rally here in GA. Its located in Scenic Helen, GA at the foot of the smoky mountains. Lots to see and do and the town is built around a German theam. We do Pot luck meals should you choose to join in. We also have displays of RVs and a Tech session. We have a Ice cream social meet and great on Thur day of rally opening. We have give aways and raffles also. Its a good time to time to meet up with fellow Frogs and enjoy some time around a evening camp fire. We have also done wine tours.

Each rally has their own unique way of things they do. So come and join a rally. You will enjoy. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:43 PM   #3
Who Dares, Wins

We did goshen this past year and enjoyed the "show." We were lucky to be with a few friends and made many more. We will be planning to go again.. Assuming the price this year does not explode!

We have also attended two of the rally's in NY and one in PA all put on by locals FROGS and friends. Had a great time meeting new people and yet still being able to do our own thing. I think they are fun and well worth the experience and friendships that will be made.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:07 PM   #4

Sorry I didn't mention which rally - I didn't realize there would be differences. I am in San Diego so the Hemet FROG rally would only be 100 miles away from us.
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2c View Post
Sorry I didn't mention which rally - I didn't realize there would be differences. I am in San Diego so the Hemet FROG rally would only be 100 miles away from us.

You'll never know until you try one. Each is a little different and as mentioned, completely voluntary as to what you wish to participate in. There will be plenty of food, drinks, maybe a few vendors and possibly some form of entertainment.

All I can say, if you decide, register A.S.A.P. These rallys book up quickly. You'll notice the other 2 rally's listed on the FROG web site for May are already booked solid.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:30 PM   #6

I am so glad this was brought up so I didn't have to start the thread lol. So we booked 22nd through the 24th at Tampa/ sefner at lazydays. We didn't book through the group and I hope this isn't frowned upon. Since we couldn't do the full 4 days and like to cook at the rig it made more sense. I look forward to meeting some people it's nice to meet some new faces from the forum. I have already met a few mostly at Fort wilderness. I will bring some extra home brews to share with new friends so dont be shy.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:59 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiels7 View Post
I am so glad this was brought up so I didn't have to start the thread lol. So we booked 22nd through the 24th at Tampa/ sefner at lazydays. We didn't book through the group and I hope this isn't frowned upon. Since we couldn't do the full 4 days and like to cook at the rig it made more sense. I look forward to meeting some people it's nice to meet some new faces from the forum. I have already met a few mostly at Fort wilderness. I will bring some extra home brews to share with new friends so dont be shy.
You need to work with the rally organizers or you will not be in the rally. I have had this issue in the past when I organized the Mayberry FROG rally in NC. People would book with the campground and assume that got them into a rally. That does not. You have to be a FROG member, own a FR or subsidiary product and be registered for the rally with the rally organizer. In the case of Lazy days that is booked directly through FROG and not a local FROG member/campground.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:11 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I got an email today about the FROG rallies for this year and one is relatively close to where we live. We've never gone to a rally like this and I'm just trying to figure out if it is for us or not.

A bit about us and our camping - we usually camp in state or county parks and we go camping to "get away" for the weekend or longer. Some times we meet up with another couple or friends that are RVers and other times it's just us & the furry kids. We have camped at a number of RV resorts but we seldom "socialize" at these places. We're not anti-social, we just aren't big chatting up a lot of strangers.

So what's a FROG rally like? Would we find things that were interesting for us or would we be trying to find a place to hide from the crowds?

FROG rallies are designed to be a social experience. You will meet lots of new friends, have lots of wonderful meals (potlucks, catered etc). Activities are often planned during a rally but free time also exists to go explore. Some rallies are big and some are small. the international rally in Goshen can have over 500 rigs. Smaller member rallies can have anywhere from 20 to over a hundred rigs depending on what the organizer feels up to hosting and what facilities the campgrounds have. Most rallies book quickly, some within 24 hours of opening registration. They are popular because they are a lot of fun but remember most rallies are organized and run by volunteer members with FROG sponsorship. Only a handful of rallies are actually organized and run by FROG. Each rally is different in what it offers so read the descriptions and the registration rules. If you can't attend but have registered, please contact the organizer as early as possible (and before cancelling your spot in many cases) so they can arrange for someone on the waiting list to attend.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
You need to work with the rally organizers or you will not be in the rally. I have had this issue in the past when I organized the Mayberry FROG rally in NC. People would book with the campground and assume that got them into a rally. That does not. You have to be a FROG member, own a FR or subsidiary product and be registered for the rally with the rally organizer. In the case of Lazy days that is booked directly through FROG and not a local FROG member/campground.
Ok I will have to reply to the email. We didn't plan on doing the meals but would be interested In the other activities. The only reason we didn't book through the email is because we couldn't check in until Friday. I will contact the organizer and hey if it doesn't work out I will be in my fiver any way and have fun no matter what.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:23 PM   #10

E mail sent maby we can work something out if not it's still a few nights in the camper.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:31 AM   #11

FROG rally - to go or not to go

If you’re open to meeting new people a rally could be for you. We attended our first rally in Gettysburg PA. We met quite a few couples. Ate some great food took a tour of Eisenhower farm and home. Made a cute flag craft. Going back this year helping a bit with the rally. Doing Brass Ring rally in PA and Colonial Williamsburg Va too
omahagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:20 AM   #12
Broken Toe

Quote:

Yes! By all means, try a rally.

Despite my otherwise pleasant outward appearance, I am pretty anti-social. I have been invited to Sturgis and Daytona bike week more than once, and I always turn them down because I generally do not like people.

I practically had a gun pulled on me to force me into going to my first rally. That was Frogtoberfest in Amana Iowa. I fully expected to hate every minute of it, but I wanted to at least give it a chance.

Turns out it was one of the best weekends of my adult life. At no time did I feel crowded or 'rushed'. We met some new folks that are now life-long friends, and just had a blast.

That opened the floodgates, and if you look at my signature below, you can see how many rallies we have gone to since then. Never NOT had a fantastic time, and I am always left looking forward to the next one.

Give it a shot, you got nothing to lose except a single weekend if you don't care for it.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:52 PM   #13

Smile

Any rally would be a lot of fun. I've enjoyed both Goshen - the big rally - as well as FROGtoberfest. Perhaps when I retire (maybe next year) I can go further away from home. Right now I can't get enough time off to do two-three days of travel each way. It will be worth it - and yes, register early!

PS: Tim isn't that anti-social!

2021 Nights Camped: 29 (so far)
2020 Nights Camped: 18
2019 Nights Camped: 18
MartiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 02:09 PM   #14
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Attention New RV owners

If your RV or trailer's model year is 2017 or newer than if you haven't already, you should plan on going to the August 2019 National Rally. First off, it's a lot of fun and very educating as others have said. But if your unit is 2017 or newer than you are in that sweetheart spot for fixes and repairs.

If you haven't already heard, Forest River will fix or repair everything that may need attention and do it while you are there the week of the rally. Did I mention for Free.

We attended last August 2018 and these are a few of the repairs I saw get made while they were there:
  1. Saw a trailers entire suspension replaced by LCI
  2. Saw a new awning going up for one that was having problems
  3. Saw a cabinet being pulled out and replaced new
  4. Saw brakes replaced
  5. Saw burned out LED lights on the front cap replaced
  6. Talked to someone who said Forest River was shipping them a brand new set of recliners because of some wear issues.
  7. Someone's frame had a crack and alignment was off, so they did the welds and realignment.
  8. Saw faulty power recepticles fixed
  9. Saw free roof inspections and patches as needed
  10. Saw wheel well trim replaced where some were missing or just cracked

All this was done for free, onsite, during the week. Also I had mine washed and detailed by the mobile wash service that's available (not free $100)

And all the while we went to seminars, factory visits and entertaining tours. They have room for 800 units and it sells out. Once the registration date is announced, log on that day and signup. The rally isn't free but in my case and everyone else that I talked too, we think it was a bargain and a heck of alot better and cheaper (free) than the dealer services we get back home.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 02:14 PM   #15

I'd give it a try to see how you like it....The DW and I did are first FROG Rally at Mayberry last year we also did The Florida Rally and had a good time....Were looking forward to the Peach FROG Rally in September.

I'll admit I'm not at all interested in doing the Big Rally in Goshen atleast at this point in my life it's just not my cup of tea but to each their own.
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 02:26 PM   #16

You should try it. We went to one in Helen GA near us a couple year's ago and had a great time. Looking forward to doing another but timing has not been right. There are soom really cool places to visit and hanging out with other rejects, um, i mean FROGs is fun. Plus, you might win some cool swag!

Happy camping!
Nights Camped: NOT NEARLY ENOUGH!
Glindz233s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 03:23 PM   #17
MCTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
You did not mention which rally you maybe interested in. Basically the smaller rallys are very fun to attend. If you like to visit places that have interesting things to see in the area. You have free time to sight see. Just for info I do a rally here in GA. Its located in Scenic Helen, GA at the foot of the smoky mountains. Lots to see and do and the town is built around a German theam. We do Pot luck meals should you choose to join in. We also have displays of RVs and a Tech session. We have a Ice cream social meet and great on Thur day of rally opening. We have give aways and raffles also. Its a good time to time to meet up with fellow Frogs and enjoy some time around a evening camp fire. We have also done wine tours.

Each rally has their own unique way of things they do. So come and join a rally. You will enjoy. Later RJD
We were hoping to get to the Georgia rally this year, maybe next year.

The rallies are a lot of fun. Sharing camping stories and plenty of good food. It is just fine to sit by the trailer and soak up some sunshine too.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:40 PM   #18
Canadian Member

As someone said earlier in this thread, rallies are a social event. So if you (both of you if you're married) are into meeting others with a similar interest in camping with their FR product, give it a try. If you hate crowds, the "International Rally" may not be for you.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:43 PM   #19
Paul & Dianne

My wife and I would like to do a FROG rally. Last night, we tried signing up for Gettysburg but it was too late. We're told we're waitlisted, so we'll see what happens by June.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:08 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThruHiker View Post
My wife and I would like to do a FROG rally. Last night, we tried signing up for Gettysburg but it was too late. We're told we're waitlisted, so we'll see what happens by June.
You could try the brass ring rally. It is also in PA in June.

Tags
frog