Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2010, 07:16 PM   #1

Frozen Toilet Flush Valve

Arrggghhh....forgot to flush the toilet and the valve froze in the 17 degree weather we had here in Georgia this January. Hooked up the water yesterday and got about a gallon or two of water on the floor before I shut it off. Live and learn. I drained the under the camper lines and opened the fawcets but did not flush the toilet. While purchasing a new flush valve the RV guy said to buy a air valve thingy to flush the lines. Live and learn. But jheese...it never gets that cold here in Ga.
2001 Z-71
One great 16 yr old son
Great wife
Two dogs, Ziggy and Zaggy
Bill U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:55 PM   #2

Tell me about it we live in Big Canoe and it is still below freezing, may get warmer end of this week. I drain everything, blow out lines and pour pink rv anti-freeze in toilet and all drains.
skywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill U View Post
Arrrggghhh....forgot to flush the toilet and the valve froze in the 17 degree weather we had here in Georgia this January. Hooked up the water yesterday and got about a gallon or two of water on the floor before I shut it off. Live and learn. I drained the under the camper lines and opened the fawcets but did not flush the toilet. While purchasing a new flush valve the RV guy said to buy a air valve thingy to flush the lines. Live and learn. But jheese...it never gets that cold here in Ga.
I did the same thing in my first camper in 2001, but I didn't fine out that there was a problem until I toke the camper out the first time when camping season started. Once we arrived at our camp site I hook up the hose to the camper and turn on the water the next thing I knew I had water running out under the door to the camper. We had no water for that weekend of camping. I must say I learn a lesson. I test the plumping system out before the first camping trip and I use a piece of pvc pipe to prop the flush valve open during the Winter so the valve doesn't freeze, but the flap to the toiled bowl is closed.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:55 PM   #4

I thought I had damaged the toilet valve also. I drained the tanks and blew out the lines, but did not flush the toilet. We were getting ready to go to Goose Island State Park last Sunday and I found when I flushed the toilet water came out of the top of the valve. It was not more than a few ounces per flush so we decided to go anyway. Glad we did, I found when we got to Goose Island the valve did not leak, got lucky. I will not forget that valve again. Also will not forget to check the black and grey water valves before removing the cap, but that is another story.

Great Wife and Idiot Yorkie
True Friends are like diamonds, precious and rare.
False ones like autumn leaves found everywhere
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote