Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
leencharlotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 268
Ft Wilderness (Disney) campsite question

Heading to Ft Wilderness for my first time in many years and I cannot remember if there are firepits at each site. I actually have a premium site reserved. Anyone know?
__________________
2011 F-350 SRW Lariat FX4
2014 Sandpiper 365SAQB
leencharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
hoffkm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wauseon, Ohio
Posts: 249
No campfires are allowed at Fort Wilderness at your site so no fire pits. They have a nightly bonfire and story time with Chip and Dale for the entire campground. Fort Wilderness is one of the nicest campgrounds (if not the nicest) we have been to. Enjoy your stay.
__________________
2011 Rockwood 2901SS Ultra Lite
2014 Chevy Silverado Z71---Hensley Arrow Hitch
my other toy---1969 Camaro 396 SS
hoffkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:37 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
leencharlotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 268
Thanks for the info. I did not think they did and didnt want to haul a bunch of firewood with me and not be able to use it. Again thanks!
__________________
2011 F-350 SRW Lariat FX4
2014 Sandpiper 365SAQB
leencharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:43 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
sherdep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Saint Cloud FL
Posts: 1,565
I have a site reserved for August - my friend works for disney and got it for like $40 a night.
Let me know how your trip went - I actually live about 30 minutes from Disney depending on traffic
There is a camping world off of 192 so if you need camping supplies there is a place not too far away from Fort Wilderness
__________________
2011 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 - Matt
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Qaud Cab 4x4 with 35" tires and 3.92 gears, Dynatech Longtube Headers & Fabtech 6" lift + Superchips with shift Tuning
Nights Camped 2011 (37) - 2012 (16)-2013 (2) -2014 (5) -2015(0)
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
leencharlotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherdep
I have a site reserved for August - my friend works for disney and got it for like $40 a night.
Let me know how your trip went - I actually live about 30 minutes from Disney depending on traffic
There is a camping world off of 192 so if you need camping supplies there is a place not too far away from Fort Wilderness
Lucky you. I worked at WDW for 4 years and some friends still work there. There are no cast discounts for week of 4/17. Oh well. Thatnks for te camping world info. What is it near? Pretty familair with area but has been 10 years since i lived there.
__________________
2011 F-350 SRW Lariat FX4
2014 Sandpiper 365SAQB
leencharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:32 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
sherdep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Saint Cloud FL
Posts: 1,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by leencharlotte View Post
Lucky you. I worked at WDW for 4 years and some friends still work there. There are no cast discounts for week of 4/17. Oh well. Thatnks for te camping world info. What is it near? Pretty familair with area but has been 10 years since i lived there.
I think it is on the corner of Poinciana Blvd and 192
You cant miss it cause they have camper's galore out front for sale
I did find something intresting though - of you see a sale price for online only and print it out - they will honor the online only price - thats what the lady at my store said so I saved about $40 on two X Chock's that I bought on Tuesday.
__________________
2011 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 - Matt
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Qaud Cab 4x4 with 35" tires and 3.92 gears, Dynatech Longtube Headers & Fabtech 6" lift + Superchips with shift Tuning
Nights Camped 2011 (37) - 2012 (16)-2013 (2) -2014 (5) -2015(0)
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Dakota EV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Monroe, NC
Posts: 392
Please let us know how your trip goes. My wife and I are planning a trip to Disney later this year or next year depending on exactly when I retire. We have been to disney on 3 other occassions but always with the kids. This time it will be just the wife and I and we are looking forward to taking our camper down there. We are in Monroe, NC so it will be a little drive for us. But my plans are to drive about 1/2 way and then camp for the night. Then drive into Disney on the second day. Hopefully this way we will not be too tired from the trip. It nomally takes about 10 to 12 hours by car from our location. I do not know how long it would take with the camper but I think that it would be better to break the trip into two segements instead of trying to drive the entire way at one time. Again please let us know how your stay at Ft. Wilderness goes. I am interested in cost and how well the site are situated. I hope that you guys have a great trip and a good time.
__________________

Freddie & Linda
2015 FR Sierra 330RLS & 2003 Dodge 2500 4X4 CD
TMPS for Camper & TV
Days Camping 2019 - 58
Days Camping 2020 - 24 (so far)
Dakota EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
leencharlotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota EV
Please let us know how your trip goes. My wife and I are planning a trip to Disney later this year or next year depending on exactly when I retire. We have been to disney on 3 other occassions but always with the kids. This time it will be just the wife and I and we are looking forward to taking our camper down there. We are in Monroe, NC so it will be a little drive for us. But my plans are to drive about 1/2 way and then camp for the night. Then drive into Disney on the second day. Hopefully this way we will not be too tired from the trip. It nomally takes about 10 to 12 hours by car from our location. I do not know how long it would take with the camper but I think that it would be better to break the trip into two segements instead of trying to drive the entire way at one time. Again please let us know how your stay at Ft. Wilderness goes. I am interested in cost and how well the site are situated. I hope that you guys have a great trip and a good time.
Monroe.. Indian Trail here, 5 miles away. We are taking our kids and breaking the trip in to 2 days. we are staying near the FL state line. I could possibly do it in one day but dont want to arrive at dark and setup... Disney post pricing on the web, choose site type and time period for 2011 rates.
__________________
2011 F-350 SRW Lariat FX4
2014 Sandpiper 365SAQB
leencharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:47 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 23
Wingate here
We're talking about Disney also but not too familiar with the campground. Looked at it with Google Earth and all the sites look like back in. Just recently purchased a Cardinal 5th wheel and am not real good at backing it yet. So not sure if I want to make a fool out of myself at Fort Wilderness.
slides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
sherdep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Saint Cloud FL
Posts: 1,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by slides View Post
Wingate here
We're talking about Disney also but not too familiar with the campground. Looked at it with Google Earth and all the sites look like back in. Just recently purchased a Cardinal 5th wheel and am not real good at backing it yet. So not sure if I want to make a fool out of myself at Fort Wilderness.
I am not familiar with the camp sites either - a good suggestion would be to get some cones and on a weekend where there is a parking lot with no one around and practice - when my parents bought there 5th wheel the dealership had some sort of a class that they were asked to take since they never had towed a 5th wheel - my father was very greatful they kinda made him take the class - I have never towed a 5th wheel but heard it is hard to back in since the trailer swings on a diffrent pivot point and thats where a good spotter comes into to play with a set of walkie talkies too
__________________
2011 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 - Matt
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Qaud Cab 4x4 with 35" tires and 3.92 gears, Dynatech Longtube Headers & Fabtech 6" lift + Superchips with shift Tuning
Nights Camped 2011 (37) - 2012 (16)-2013 (2) -2014 (5) -2015(0)
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:55 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
hockeytownmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Lyon, MI
Posts: 1,126
Here's a great website for the Fort. www.fortfiends.net

You can have a campfire if you have a fully enclosed firepit and there are no burning restrictions, iirc.
__________________
Kristina
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:23 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
jimh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lake Charles, La.
Posts: 1,536
we stayed at ft wilderness march a year ago. the newer accommodations are more expensive. the next price down accommodated us nicely. we were at the first site to the right as u go into that camping area. we were next to the bath house. i turned left down the wrong way and backed right in. only problem i had was someone in a golf cart darted into the space as i was backing. the neighbor was watching and pointed to me backing. they left promptly. price was $92-97/night. thought it was rather pricey.
i ask one of the other campers the difference between the most expensive and what i settled for. only difference was the more expensive one was newer. we both had adequate room, 50 amp, and sewer. fewer trees in the new one.
if ur not familiar with Disney, when u park is abt the last time u will need ur vehicle until u leave. all transportation is provided within and to and from the parks. i would recommend the meal plain. we were told abt it form some seasoned Disney patrons.
we were late arrivals (abt 8pm) and didn't have any problems. when we left, i went out to buy diesel early and the gates weren't open when i got back. had a vender behind me and he backed up and went around the building to the right and in. i followed him.
we enjoyed it. can't see how people are able to make it home during the winter. price wise.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:32 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
sherdep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Saint Cloud FL
Posts: 1,565
If you know a disney employee they can get you a spot for half price - when I do my trip in August it is only costing me $40 a night for two nights.
just throwing that out there.

I think any site for more then $50 to $75 a night is pricey and takes away from other trips so recently I have been going to the state and federal parks cause the cost is pretty cheap and a descent place as well.
__________________
2011 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 - Matt
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Qaud Cab 4x4 with 35" tires and 3.92 gears, Dynatech Longtube Headers & Fabtech 6" lift + Superchips with shift Tuning
Nights Camped 2011 (37) - 2012 (16)-2013 (2) -2014 (5) -2015(0)
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:07 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
flyrotor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherdep View Post
I think any site for more then $50 to $75 a night is pricey and takes away from other trips so recently I have been going to the state and federal parks cause the cost is pretty cheap and a descent place as well.
Ditto that, I invested in a trailer to camp cheap, not to pay premium prices
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:16 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
sherdep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Saint Cloud FL
Posts: 1,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrotor View Post
Ditto that, I invested in a trailer to camp cheap, not to pay premium prices
Amen to that - we are on the same page
__________________
2011 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 - Matt
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Qaud Cab 4x4 with 35" tires and 3.92 gears, Dynatech Longtube Headers & Fabtech 6" lift + Superchips with shift Tuning
Nights Camped 2011 (37) - 2012 (16)-2013 (2) -2014 (5) -2015(0)
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:19 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
Posts: 487
Im such a ding bat.....my sons a manager a Disney. Been to the park many times for free. Never thought about Fortwilderness......Guess where were going this year???
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:27 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by leencharlotte View Post
Monroe.. Indian Trail here, 5 miles away. We are taking our kids and breaking the trip in to 2 days. we are staying near the FL state line. I could possibly do it in one day but dont want to arrive at dark and setup... Disney post pricing on the web, choose site type and time period for 2011 rates.
Holding it down in Fort Mill!!
__________________
Richard & Ray
Fort Mill, SC


2011 Rockwood Windjammer 3002W (Delivered 4/20/2011)
2007 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 5.7L V8
landcruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:41 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
leencharlotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrotor

Ditto that, I invested in a trailer to camp cheap, not to pay premium prices
Well I dont camp like this every time... i do have 2 small children and we love Disney. if I stayed at a Disney hotel with a kitchen etc, it would be around $400/night, so guess it may not be "cheap" but sure is MUCH cheaper i get all the advantages of staying on property like transportation and early park entry.
__________________
2011 F-350 SRW Lariat FX4
2014 Sandpiper 365SAQB
leencharlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:12 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
hockeytownmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Lyon, MI
Posts: 1,126
We go to Disney every other year. With a family of 7, camping is still cheaper for us then the Disney resorts because they can't accomodate us in a Moderate or Value unless we get two rooms, or the family suite.

We'll be there 12/17-12/27 this year.
__________________
Kristina
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:43 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
sherdep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Saint Cloud FL
Posts: 1,565
I know the disney hotels are expensive on top of the issue you have to pay to park in the hotels parking lot on top of the the room charge.

ssometimes it is cheaper to be in the camper then a hotel room especially when you have a crew with you.

I understand the once a year camping trip you are going to spend a little more then your usual weekend trips - I was just saying that since I am close to alot of state parks - I would rather camp there cheaper then the private owned sites
__________________
2011 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 - Matt
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Qaud Cab 4x4 with 35" tires and 3.92 gears, Dynatech Longtube Headers & Fabtech 6" lift + Superchips with shift Tuning
Nights Camped 2011 (37) - 2012 (16)-2013 (2) -2014 (5) -2015(0)
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:13 PM.