Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2023, 01:21 PM   #1

Fueling up question

New FR Salem owner. Loving it but don’t love trying to get it into a convenience store gas pump. Some stations have large semi truck fueling stations. Do those semi truck gas pumps also have regular unleaded options thereby giving me more room to maneuver? Thanks!
sdelano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 01:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelano View Post
New FR Salem owner. Loving it but don’t love trying to get it into a convenience store gas pump. Some stations have large semi truck fueling stations. Do those semi truck gas pumps also have regular unleaded options thereby giving me more room to maneuver? Thanks!
Some of the larger truck stops like Loves and Pilots have RV lanes which typically have gas and diesel.
Custmachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 02:32 PM   #3

Thanks!
Old 05-12-2023, 02:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelano View Post
In my experience, those truck lanes (Eastern USA) don't have gasoline. I try to stay away from gasoline at convenience stores when possible for the reasons you inferred.

On longer trips, I have attempted to pick out my gas stops in advance. Using Google Maps I look for gas stations where the gas lanes run parallel to the station and there is adequate approach and departure space. I also attempt to gas up in more rural areas away from congested urban areas.
Old 05-12-2023, 09:06 PM   #5

Thanks!
Old 05-12-2023, 09:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custmachr View Post
Some of the larger truck stops like Loves and Pilots have RV lanes which typically have gas and diesel.
These lanes are typically in the front of the store adjacent to the car lanes. They are not in the back truck lanes. There is no gasoline in the back truck lanes, just diesel.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 01:29 AM   #7

Ok thanks guys
Old 05-13-2023, 07:29 AM   #8

This is often a concern. (glad my truck has the big gas tank and can usually go over 300 miles between fueling when towing) Some of the truck lanes in the Midwest have gas, but many do not. Usually in the rural areas there is enough space that you can find a station you can get into. (these farmers need to fuel when hauling big stock trailers too).

I do however, usually top off my tank on trips whenever I have the trailer unhooked just to avoid searching for good stations.
Old 05-13-2023, 09:27 AM   #9

Yes…I do the same. Full tank before I head out.
Old 05-29-2023, 08:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fipntdot View Post
This is often a concern. (glad my truck has the big gas tank and can usually go over 300 miles between fueling when towing) Some of the truck lanes in the Midwest have gas, but many do not. Usually in the rural areas there is enough space that you can find a station you can get into. (these farmers need to fuel when hauling big stock trailers too).

I do however, usually top off my tank on trips whenever I have the trailer unhooked just to avoid searching for good stations.
It drives my girlfriend nuts to drive the same stretch of road twice (once to get gas, and again when we leave). I think I need to “suggest” that she gets behind the wheel and navigate through the local gas stations with the combined length of 50’ (19.4’ TV and 29.9’ TT). The kamikaze drivers rushing to beat others to the pump always makes life interesting pulling into even the larger of gas stations.

I’m with you: get gas while the TT is NOT attached.

“No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it.” — Albert Einstein
ChrisPBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 08:51 AM   #11

I personally LOVE Loves truck stops. I haven’t found one yet I couldn’t use the normal car lanes.
If at a convenience store, I try to make a quick plan in my head for what pump to go to before I turn in.
I also rarely get below half a tank before starting to look for a place to get gas.
That way I can pass up a place I don’t think I can get out of.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 09:01 AM   #12

Same issues with a 32 foot Class C, tow dolly and a car. Big difference you folks with a travel trailer have the option of backing up. I get one shot. If I screw up it's unload the car, unhook the dolly get out of the bind then reload so I'm pretty careful. What is really disappointing is when you have a clear exit and somebody pulls in and plugs it up. Squeaked by with inches to spare more than once.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 09:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb5900 View Post
I personally LOVE Loves truck stops. I haven’t found one yet I couldn’t use the normal car lanes.
If at a convenience store, I try to make a quick plan in my head for what pump to go to before I turn in.
I also rarely get below half a tank before starting to look for a place to get gas.
That way I can pass up a place I don’t think I can get out of.
Advance planning… the operative words. And, like military plans, it all falls apart when the first bullet goes down-range… so to speak. In this case, it’s the first person that zips in front of you to get to that inner island open gas pump, or the kamikaze leaving one… or the little old driver of the Prius that backs out without looking… OR the individual who blocks you from pulling out onto the thoroughfare by taking the corner wide… then want YOU to back up so they can get out of traffic. (There’s a reason why my TT doesn’t have backup lights…)

For this newby, it’s a steep learning curve. Maybe it never gets better.

“No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it.” — Albert Einstein
Old 05-29-2023, 09:52 AM   #14

That is one of the main reasons I went with a diesel engine truck. I can use the truck lanes to fill-up and don't have to fight all of the cars trying to get in and out of the gas lanes.
Also, better fuel mileage when pulling.
Old 05-29-2023, 09:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPBacon View Post
Advance planning… the operative words.

For this newby, it’s a steep learning curve. Maybe it never gets better.

Yes. Advance planning. Someone above also mentioned filling up before you really need it. This is key. I choose the station that looks good even if it might cost a couple dollars more for the whole tank.

It does get better. Like anything (driving, playing tuba, shooting baskets [or birds]), practice will improve one's skill. As a teen, I had the benefit of learning to tow with a 30+ foot gooseneck stock trailer pulled by an old crewcab one ton with only 3 manual gears (plus the low). After that, a smaller trailer felt good. (although more touchy in wind).
Old 05-29-2023, 11:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fipntdot View Post
Yes. Advance planning. Someone above also mentioned filling up before you really need it. This is key. I choose the station that looks good even if it might cost a couple dollars more for the whole tank.

It does get better. Like anything (driving, playing tuba, shooting baskets [or birds]), practice will improve one's skill. As a teen, I had the benefit of learning to tow with a 30+ foot gooseneck stock trailer pulled by an old crewcab one ton with only 3 manual gears (plus the low). After that, a smaller trailer felt good. (although more touchy in wind).
I’ve spent the last couple of decades driving an 18-wheeler that needed a 250-400 (or more) feet space to do a 180° turn, where almost everyone is trained and committed to getting through the day safely, all working together in an organized environment, to maneuvering in tight spaces where the addle-brained kids (and some adults) have too much horsepower and too little common sense.

Yes, it it a matter of training and experience.

Old 05-29-2023, 12:28 PM   #17
Smiles, Trials & Tribs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilFromMaine View Post
In my experience, those truck lanes (Eastern USA) don't have gasoline. I try to stay away from gasoline at convenience stores when possible for the reasons you inferred.

On longer trips, I have attempted to pick out my gas stops in advance. Using Google Maps I look for gas stations where the gas lanes run parallel to the station and there is adequate approach and departure space. I also attempt to gas up in more rural areas away from congested urban areas.
Precisely! I'm fighting with this aspect right now as I plan our first month going full-time in a 53 foot rig/toad combo. It's amazing how many towns up in WY, MT, SD, etc only have 1 or 2 1960's stations that can't handle a motorhome. In some, my toad would be out in the street as I'm gassing up! None in West Yellowstone are RV friendly, which I find almost negligent considering how many RV's go there!
Old 05-29-2023, 04:18 PM   #18

I try to plan gas stops in advance but I'll rarely pass up a Love's, Pilot,Buckee's travel stop or similar even if I'm only down a quarter tank.

A lot of fuel stops aren't very convenient for a 37 foot MH.
Old 05-29-2023, 05:12 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPBacon View Post
I’ve spent the last couple of decades driving an 18-wheeler that needed a 250-400 (or more) feet space to do a 180° turn, where almost everyone is trained and committed to getting through the day safely, all working together in an organized environment, to maneuvering in tight spaces where the addle-brained kids (and some adults) have too much horsepower and too little common sense.

Yes, it it a matter of training and experience.

Members may not understand that 747 airplane reference:

https://www.flyingmag.com/guides/how...irplanes-have/

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 05:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Members may not understand that 747 airplane reference:

https://www.flyingmag.com/guides/how...irplanes-have/

Thanks. I was one of those who did not catch that reference. That helps me make sense of the posts.

Tags
fuel, question