Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2021, 12:49 PM   #1
Insert witty title here

Full time RV living for older folks.

Let me preface this by saying I'm NOT old. I am, however considering going full time once I retire which made me wonder how older people who full time in their camper manage the camper life when the aches and pains of getting older creep in.

Do you give up the camper in favor of a more traditional abode?

Do you hire help to do the chores you simply can't manage anymore?

Something else?

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 09:15 PM   #2

Some do hire help but there is a limit to how long we can fulltime as we age. I do know some of you will disagree but not many of us will be driving much past the mid eighties.
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 10:48 AM   #3
Defender of America

I look at camping like I look at riding my motorcycle. I don't ride as much as I used to and don't go nearly as far. At some point I'll have to stop all together. Makes me sad but I've seen and done a lot of things. And I'm not done just quite yet!
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 10:50 AM   #4
Defender of America

I know my previous post didn't offer an answer. It's the same with all the things I do at home. At some point I won't be able to climb the ladder to clean the gutters. Hopefully the grand kids still like me than and will come over to help.
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:01 AM   #5
Always Learning

Most folks that I've seen seem to transition from traveling life to stationary life as the aches and pains get bigger.

If you're in a park with kids, there are often young ones looking to make a couple of bucks and will do light chores.
Old 06-14-2021, 12:07 PM   #6
Trailer Park Supervisor

I look at the decline in my own parent's life as my paradigm of despair. I have taken my Dad's car for past 2 years, and am his chauffeur now. He is 88 next week. Seeing what they are going through, I hope I am dead by 80. The awfulness that many people experience post age 80 is truly frightening. "But my father lived to 100 and still was climbing trees...." Yeah, I know. There are one in a million cases like that. I can't even win a stupid 50/50, I will never be that lucky!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 12:12 PM   #7
Insert witty title here

My wife is gone and I dont speak to my kids. Im all alone now and dont really see that changing so Ive got to take care of myself as best I can.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 12:24 PM   #8
Trailer Park Supervisor

Tim, I've been following your saga since your wife died. What you just wrote hurts my heart. But you also seem tough enough to stick it out and make the best of things, that will work well for you. I'm 56 next month, and realize I only have one or two good decades left in me with my family history, etc, so trying to enjoy travel as much as I can now. Seeing what parents are going through, I've set a significant portion of my retirement funds away to have a home health aid down the road. Money I was hoping to use for travel and retirement fun. Oh well. Live it up while you can my friend. I have a hard time getting good people to work for my parents in their brick and sticks home, I can't imagine finding one who would be willing to full time with me!
Old 06-14-2021, 12:29 PM   #9
"Curmudgeon"

Send a message via MSN to Trawlerphil Send a message via Yahoo to Trawlerphil
In a word--"Aleve", the miracle drug for seniors. You might want to consider leaving the "land of ice & snow" for a less depressing climate. I retired at 49, spent many years living full time on a boat, and then got into my 5th wheel because it is a lot less demanding than ocean cruising. No problems at 75, but some day it will be time to bury the pin box next to the anchor.
2018 F-150 4X4 Max tow EcoBoost 3.5
2020 Tesla Model Y
Trawlerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 12:30 PM   #10

I'm not sure at what age one becomes "old". Aches and pains have been part of my life since I was 26 and had a near fatal accident on a Motorcycle. Got out of it with just a crushed leg that took a few years to rehab.

Now rapidly closing in on 80 (exactly 1.5 years from now) and actually feel better than I did when I was in my 30's.

My wife passed away 5 years ago and since then have been increasing my "camping", often gone every other week, sometimes for a month.

Only reason I keep my house is that I have a tremendous amount of equity in it and with current market trends around me it's "earning" me more than any other investment vehicles I've found so far.

I have a Landscaper that comes in twice a month to mow and maintain trees and flower beds.

I could live full time in the TT I own (and do for well over 100 days per year avg}. Everyone's situation is different but as long as I can take care of myself I plan on continuing my current lifestyle. When I can't, perhaps I'll take up skydiving----------

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 01:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawlerphil View Post
In a word--"Aleve", the miracle drug for seniors.
Unless you have high blood pressure

Old 06-14-2021, 01:19 PM   #12
Trailer Park Supervisor

Mike, you are one of those weird anomalies! I'll have whatever YOU'RE drinking! Oh wait, you don't drink!
Old 06-14-2021, 01:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Mike, you are one of those weird anomalies! I'll have whatever YOU'RE drinking! Oh wait, you don't drink!
I drank enough in my 30's to last two lifetimes. Most of it while on business travel in Alaska

Didn't have any issues, just kind of lost interest and both wife and I stopped about 25 years ago.

Old 06-14-2021, 02:51 PM   #14
2009 F450 2015 Cardinal

We have wintered in Havasu for the last 9 years. Full timed the last 3 years. I would agree with the poster that relatively few can do the bending and have the balance necessary to do the basics past their mid eighties. Saw a line on a poster at the gym. The caption read: Growing old is not for sissies!
AntonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I'm not sure at what age one becomes "old". Aches and pains have been part of my life since I was 26 and had a near fatal accident on a Motorcycle. Got out of it with just a crushed leg that took a few years to rehab.

Now rapidly closing in on 80 (exactly 1.5 years from now) and actually feel better than I did when I was in my 30's.

My wife passed away 5 years ago and since then have been increasing my "camping", often gone every other week, sometimes for a month.

Only reason I keep my house is that I have a tremendous amount of equity in it and with current market trends around me it's "earning" me more than any other investment vehicles I've found so far.

I have a Landscaper that comes in twice a month to mow and maintain trees and flower beds.

I could live full time in the TT I own (and do for well over 100 days per year avg}. Everyone's situation is different but as long as I can take care of myself I plan on continuing my current lifestyle. When I can't, perhaps I'll take up skydiving----------
Titan Mike......I too have recently lost my wife of 53 years. It has been 3 weeks now. I really don't know what I will be doing, however, your tale gives me some encouragement as to a life beyond what I knew. My wife was my life and perhaps as time goes on, I'll be able to cope and travel again. Like you, I will keep my house. I realize as I get older, (I'm 75 now) I will need a place to settle for comfort, if I live that long. Thanks for sharing.
2corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2corvette View Post
Titan Mike......I too have recently lost my wife of 53 years. It has been 3 weeks now. I really don't know what I will be doing, however, your tale gives me some encouragement as to a life beyond what I knew. My wife was my life and perhaps as time goes on, I'll be able to cope and travel again. Like you, I will keep my house. I realize as I get older, (I'm 75 now) I will need a place to settle for comfort, if I live that long. Thanks for sharing.
Sorry for your loss.

For me, I try to remain as busy as I can. Outside when weather permits and lots of reading and "projects".

The sense of loss will never go away but being active will put it in the proper perspective.

My wife passed after 30+ years great times and those memories comfort me.

Yours will comfort you as well.

Old 06-14-2021, 11:18 PM   #17

Full Timimg for Seniors

Well, my wife (74) and I (81) just sold our large (4800 sf) Texas home and are now "homeless" living and traveling full time in our 37 foot Class A. At my age, the bending over required to do most everything required in RVing, certainly is a problem. Just hooking up the Toad for towing almost exhausts me and the labor to dump the tanks isn't much better.

So, not too sure how long this will last; but, I promised my wife 40 years ago that when we were both retired we would move to a location where she wants to spend the rest of her life. I retired the day following my 77th birthday and my wife retired last year. Hopefully, she will decide quickly where she wants to spend the rest of her life! We left North Texas three days ago!
LannyCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:44 PM   #18

Lanny,
Congratulations and best wishes for safe travels.
We kept moving north and are now just south of the Canadian border.
We opted for 5 acres and the slower pace of this farming area.
Again, best wishes,
Old 06-21-2021, 07:34 PM   #19

Many well most will find this hard to believe. My parents are still driving. Dad is 93 and mom is 92.Dad still works a full time job in maintenance at a hospital and works the second shift 3 to 11 and drives 25 miles one way to his job .People ask him almost daily when are you going to retire .His response is im not dead yet .When you retire you die. He believes that he saids because he has watched them retire and die all his life. He has no hobbies never believed in them and does not watch sports. Saids thats grown men out playing. He grew up during the depression and does not like to spend money. My mother is 92 still drives to go shopping and that women loves to shop.Gets her hair done every Thursday at the local beuty shop slash gossip center. Goes all the time .They both have to take a driving test every year.Because thats the law in Illinois.
Donbren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 07:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LannyCox View Post
Well, my wife (74) and I (81) just sold our large (4800 sf) Texas home and are now "homeless" living and traveling full time in our 37 foot Class A. At my age, the bending over required to do most everything required in RVing, certainly is a problem. Just hooking up the Toad for towing almost exhausts me and the labor to dump the tanks isn't much better.

So, not too sure how long this will last; but, I promised my wife 40 years ago that when we were both retired we would move to a location where she wants to spend the rest of her life. I retired the day following my 77th birthday and my wife retired last year. Hopefully, she will decide quickly where she wants to spend the rest of her life! We left North Texas three days ago!
Give her some of the tasks you normally handle with the RV and she'll make up her mind real quick.

Either that or stay longer and longer at potential "places" and maybe she'll tell you "this is nice, why don't we move here?"

My late wife kind of did this when we bought our last house (where I live now). We shopped for what seemed like forever and when we walked into this one she said "we could live here" in somewhat of a resigned voice.

Turned out to be the best house we ever lived in with some of the best outdoor opportunities for day trips.