Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2018, 05:38 AM   #1

Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL Camera Surprise

My 2018 Forest River Wildwood 254RLXL came "pre-wired" for the Furrion backup camera. Although cheaper cameras seem to be available, I decided to go with purchasing the Furrion 381556 FOS48TAPK-BL Wireless High-Speed RV Observation System because it was reputed to be "easy to install". In theory, you just climbed a ladder, popped off the pre-installed bracket cover plate, connected the camera to the pre-existing power connector, screwed the camera into place, and voila, you're done. Well it turned out to be NOT so easy. First, Furrion apparently has upgraded the camera, bracket, and connector. Of course, the bracket mounting holes are SLIGHTLY different, the connector is a totally DIFFERENT style, and you have to change out the bracket - the upgraded camera doesn't fit the pre-installed bracket. Okay. So I removed the old bracket, installed the new bracket, cut off the old connector, spliced in the new connector, and was able to re-use two of the four original mounting holes to hold the bracket and camera to the back of the trailer. I will rely on them plus the silicone to hold the new bracket in place so I don't have to drill two new holes into the sheet metal. Seems to work fine, BUT the pre-installed power cable appears to be LIVE all the time. I thought it was to be live only when the marker lights were on so that the battery wasn't drained unnecessarily. I'm open for advice here. 1) where did the pre-installation pick up a live feed instead of from the marker lights? From the interior ceiling lights? 2) how important is it to undo the existing constant live feed to fish out and splice in the marker light feed instead? My final comment is that it seems Forest River's job of "pre-wiring" this trailer for the Furrion was unusual, outdated, and not very helpful. Am I missing something?
/s/ George Hay Kain, III - 2018 Forest River Wildwood 254RLXL; 2013 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4x4; ZEEPIN TPMS Solar Power Wireless Tire Pressure Monitoring System; Sherline LM 2000 - Trailer Tongue Weight Scale 2000 lb; Furrion 381556 FOS48TAPK-BL Wireless High-Speed RV Observation System.
ghkain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:03 AM   #2
"On the road again"

On our 2017 model Cardinal the pre-wiring and mounting bracket worked as promised. It literally took longer to get screwdriver and ladder ready than to actually do the install. Seems something has certainly gone awry.

I don't know what draw these cameras have since I don't have to worry as mine is only on when my headlights are on. But, if it's pulling from the house battery at all times I could see that being problematic.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:09 AM   #3

I'm not sure where they grabbed that hot leg unless you trailer is set up like mine the the power come into the rear where my breaker panel is(not sure if/how the 12v system is set up in there). We have a 2016 Wildcatt maxx 312bhx, the pre wire for our camera comes off the center marker light. I personally don't see an issue with running your own wire to a marker for power as the Furrion communicates with it's own signal, just grabs power for the camera.
Cidewayz is offline   Reply With Quote