Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2020, 09:49 PM   #1
Hot Dog Slayer
 
Geobound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Toronto
Posts: 111
Furrion Observation System Picture Quality

Hi folks,

I've searched through a lot of threads on this topic, but haven't found an answer so I'm going to post it up. If however I'm blind and there is an answer, then please feel free to point me to the correct thread.

I bought my trailer used last year and came equipped with the Fusion FOS48TAPK observation system. The monitor always looked crappy and after two trips with it, it died.

I did all the usual checks, but it was gone and not coming back.

As luck would have it, I was able to pickup the identical version monitor and paired the system within seconds tonight........however the same crappy image is there.

I've gone into the display setting and have adjusted the brightness, colour and contrast, and its still pretty well impossible to see when backing up.

You can only just make out objects behind you, but nothing clear.

Is there an adjustment on the camera itself, or is it just the monitor?

Has anybody else had this problem and been able to fix it (without having to replace the entire system), or am I just into that situation?

Now what may have been asked, (but I will put it out there anyway)......is if I have to change the system altogether do all Furrion systems work off of the same prewired kit, or do I need to do something else?

Further to that, is there an adapter to kit to use with other systems should I decided to go that route?

Obviously I would like to fix what I have first, so if you only can answer one question that would be it. LOL....

Thanks in advance.

John
__________________
Two roads diverged in a wood and I took the one less traveled by.......now try backing your trailer out of that one!

2016 Forest River Microlite 21DS

2019 Ram 1500 Pearl Red Limited
Geobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:02 PM   #2
MarcKc
 
Lyrd44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Posts: 56
Sounds like you have a bad camera. We have the 7in observation camera and the picture is great, both night and day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geobound View Post
Hi folks,

I've searched through a lot of threads on this topic, but haven't found an answer so I'm going to post it up. If however I'm blind and there is an answer, then please feel free to point me to the correct thread.

I bought my trailer used last year and came equipped with the Fusion FOS48TAPK observation system. The monitor always looked crappy and after two trips with it, it died.

I did all the usual checks, but it was gone and not coming back.

As luck would have it, I was able to pickup the identical version monitor and paired the system within seconds tonight........however the same crappy image is there.

I've gone into the display setting and have adjusted the brightness, colour and contrast, and its still pretty well impossible to see when backing up.

You can only just make out objects behind you, but nothing clear.

Is there an adjustment on the camera itself, or is it just the monitor?

Has anybody else had this problem and been able to fix it (without having to replace the entire system), or am I just into that situation?

Now what may have been asked, (but I will put it out there anyway)......is if I have to change the system altogether do all Furrion systems work off of the same prewired kit, or do I need to do something else?

Further to that, is there an adapter to kit to use with other systems should I decided to go that route?

Obviously I would like to fix what I have first, so if you only can answer one question that would be it. LOL....

Thanks in advance.

John
Lyrd44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:24 PM   #3
Hot Dog Slayer
 
Geobound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Toronto
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrd44 View Post
Sounds like you have a bad camera. We have the 7in observation camera and the picture is great, both night and day.
Crap, that's not what I wanted to hear! LOL...

I was hoping for something magical like "the previous owner forgot to do....."

Well maybe I will see if I can find a used camera now.
__________________
Two roads diverged in a wood and I took the one less traveled by.......now try backing your trailer out of that one!

2016 Forest River Microlite 21DS

2019 Ram 1500 Pearl Red Limited
Geobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:33 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
A2pfunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 355
I have the same model. I have been happy with it as we enter our 5th season. I will say that last year I noticed that the picture just is not what it used to be. It isn't bad, give it is just a back-up camera, but it's not the crisp and clear color pisture that it used to be. It almost seems more like it is closer to black and white all the time. I have read a few people on here say that the lens goes bad over time. I suppose that makes sense since it spends so much time unprotected outside.

I just had to order a new suction cup mount system for mine. It was attached the windshield and the whole thing just disintigrated inside and fell apart while I was sitting still. I feel like the system is showing its age and lifespan at 5 years.
__________________
2015 Coachmen Catalina 273TBS pulled by a 2019 F150 Platinum.
A2pfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:00 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
SailorSam20500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 4,570
I had the same setup. When the monitor stopped connecting to the camera and I was unable to rectify the issue, I switched to a Haloview setup. Image on the monitor is like going from a 1960's TV to current HD.
__________________
Al
I am starting to think, that I will never be old enough--------to know better.
Tolerance will reach such a level that intelligent people will be banned from thinking so as not to offend the imbeciles. Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoevsky, Russian Novelist
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:29 PM   #6
Hot Dog Slayer
 
Geobound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Toronto
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2pfunk View Post
I have the same model. I have been happy with it as we enter our 5th season. I will say that last year I noticed that the picture just is not what it used to be. It isn't bad, give it is just a back-up camera, but it's not the crisp and clear color pisture that it used to be. It almost seems more like it is closer to black and white all the time. I have read a few people on here say that the lens goes bad over time. I suppose that makes sense since it spends so much time unprotected outside.

I just had to order a new suction cup mount system for mine. It was attached the windshield and the whole thing just disintigrated inside and fell apart while I was sitting still. I feel like the system is showing its age and lifespan at 5 years.

That pretty well sums up what mine looks like.

I stood on the back bumper as I paired the camera up to the monitor, and I couldn't even tell it was me.......looking at me! LOL....

I tried wiping the camera "lens" down to see if there was dirt buildup, and as I said adjusted the settings and it still looks poor.

Perhaps I'm into a new system altogether then?

Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
I had the same setup. When the monitor stopped connecting to the camera and I was unable to rectify the issue, I switched to a Haloview setup. Image on the monitor is like going from a 1960's TV to current HD.

Was that as simple to swap out as your post just made it sound?

Were you able to just plug and play with the two systems, or is it more involved than that?

If a one arm blind man can't do it, then I'm fine with paying somebody who can.

Thanks for your reply.
__________________
Two roads diverged in a wood and I took the one less traveled by.......now try backing your trailer out of that one!

2016 Forest River Microlite 21DS

2019 Ram 1500 Pearl Red Limited
Geobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:48 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 64
I have the same issue and its that the lens in fogged/dirty on the inside in my case. Sounds exactly like what happened to your. It is supposed to be sealed but it seems it doesn't hold up well. Mine happened between my camping seasons and was maybe 1 month out of warranty when I took my first trip of the new season and noticed the issue. Furrion basically said 'tough luck' when I asked them for an exception as this didn't just happen overnight and I wouldn't have had the opportunity to notice until the winter months were over. I even asked if they could just sell me the camera, and they told me I was out of luck and needed to replace the whole system. As such, I am going to tear the camera apart and try to fix myself, and if it doesn't work I will indeed be buying a new system - just not a furrion. Side note, almost all the furrion things in my camper are junk, and clearly the support is bad - this is a brand I will no longer spend a dime on.
__________________
2017 Grey Wolf 26 DJSE
2017 Dodge Durango R/T AWD
Prodigy P3
Equal-i-zer 1k/10k
Kacz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 12:07 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
SailorSam20500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 4,570
Haloview sells a couple of low cost adapters to mate with the Furion required wiring. I have the MC7108 that a number of people are recommending. The VFOQ adapter is under $10. To install, I removed the Furrion camera and put the adapter on the flat black base from the Furrion. The VF01 includes a bit of wire to transition from their camera to the Furrion jack. The wire is a bit long and at the moment, I just coiled it up under the camera. I'm thinking that I'll pull the black face plate from the Furrion which should allow me to push the wire into the trailer body, then some butyl tape under the mount with the grommet that Haloview has on their wire should get things waterproof again. Then again, I may get lazy and leave it as is. Basically, I'm following what NJKris did on his rig. The 4 main screws from the Furrion install fit the Haloview mount bracket perfectly. FWIW, I've driven about 1500 miles and have been thru several rain storms and everything is still working OK. I've hung the monitor onto my trucks rearview mirror with a couple women's hair bungees. I have the monitor upside down (antenna on bottom). The monitor allows you to flip the display, so everything looks right side up.
__________________
Al
I am starting to think, that I will never be old enough--------to know better.
Tolerance will reach such a level that intelligent people will be banned from thinking so as not to offend the imbeciles. Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoevsky, Russian Novelist
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 10:30 AM   #9
Hot Dog Slayer
 
Geobound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Toronto
Posts: 111
Thanks very much for a full out explanation, I appreciate the answers.

Not overly thrilled with having to buy a new system, but I'd rather be safe for a few hundred bucks than sorry.

John
__________________
Two roads diverged in a wood and I took the one less traveled by.......now try backing your trailer out of that one!

2016 Forest River Microlite 21DS

2019 Ram 1500 Pearl Red Limited
Geobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 10:40 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
CincyGus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kacz View Post
Furrion basically said 'tough luck' when I asked them for an exception as this didn't just happen overnight and I wouldn't have had the opportunity to notice until the winter months were over. I even asked if they could just sell me the camera, and they told me I was out of luck and needed to replace the whole system. As such, I am going to tear the camera apart and try to fix myself, and if it doesn't work I will indeed be buying a new system - just not a furrion. Side note, almost all the furrion things in my camper are junk, and clearly the support is bad - this is a brand I will no longer spend a dime on.
One of the reasons I bought a Haloview (MC7108) like SailerSam20500 and NJKris. Haloview sells individual parts if something goes wrong, has the same one year warranty that Furrion does and if you search the forums, has customer service that aims to help with issues. I've read threads on here from people that had reception issues and Haloview CS worked with them to address and didn't give the Furrion tough luck, buy a new complete system answer that also has been documented many times on the forums.

And the picture is like HD vs. 360p 1960 tv screen. One of my better decisions involving my camper.
__________________
2020 Chevrolet 2500 LTZ, 2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23Pack15, 2014 EZGO Golf Cart.
CincyGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 03:07 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 6,905
Water in the camera

Take the camera off. Unscrew the lens and clean out the water that has infiltrated behind it. Often a quick rinse with 70% Isopropyl alcohol (Under $1 at the drugstore) is all you need and it dries quickly.

You'll be happy you solved your problem so inexpensively.
__________________
Larry

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 04:43 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 31
Furrion Back Up Camera

Hi. I purchased a new unit and agree the picture is ok but with the price and today's HD technology my expectations were good leading to the fact that I am disappointed. Furrion has new models but not sure if they are any better. Good luck in trailering Len
__________________
lmeilleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 05:36 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 45
I had a similar camera with the same issue. What I found is that the camera had condensation on the inside of the sealed unit. One of the units screws was loose and stripped and would not seal the unit.
Hanesstetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:06 PM   #14
Hot Dog Slayer
 
Geobound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Toronto
Posts: 111
Thanks for the great suggestions folks.

I'm going to try and take the camera off and see if I could clean it. I mean what's the worst case scenario, I have to buy a new one??

I think I'm already in that boat now.
__________________
Two roads diverged in a wood and I took the one less traveled by.......now try backing your trailer out of that one!

2016 Forest River Microlite 21DS

2019 Ram 1500 Pearl Red Limited
Geobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 03:50 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 64
You can't get the the back of the lens on these, it is 1 piece and sealed and not serviceable unfortunately.
__________________
2017 Grey Wolf 26 DJSE
2017 Dodge Durango R/T AWD
Prodigy P3
Equal-i-zer 1k/10k
Kacz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 12:53 AM   #16
Hot Dog Slayer
 
Geobound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Toronto
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kacz View Post
You can't get the the back of the lens on these, it is 1 piece and sealed and not serviceable unfortunately.

No Iím sorry thatís not the answer I want, please try again.

Ya I was kind of worried thatís what I would discover when I got up there.

Iíve decided that I should look for a new system, so when I do try and take this apart Iíll have a new one ready to go.
__________________
Two roads diverged in a wood and I took the one less traveled by.......now try backing your trailer out of that one!

2016 Forest River Microlite 21DS

2019 Ram 1500 Pearl Red Limited
Geobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:40 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 6,905
A couple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geobound View Post
No Iím sorry thatís not the answer I want, please try again.

Ya I was kind of worried thatís what I would discover when I got up there.

Iíve decided that I should look for a new system, so when I do try and take this apart Iíll have a new one ready to go.
I've put a couple of these (shown below) on our vehicles. If you grasp the cylinder at the back and the flange at the front and twist, you will find that they do indeed unscrew. The one that took on water was loose when it did so.
Attached Images
  
__________________
Larry

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:55 PM   #18
Hot Dog Slayer
 
Geobound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Toronto
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
I've put a couple of these (shown below) on our vehicles. If you grasp the cylinder at the back and the flange at the front and twist, you will find that they do indeed unscrew. The one that took on water was loose when it did so.

That's great Larry thanks for the info.

I haven't had the chance to dig into the camera yet, but hopefully I will have time on the weekend.
__________________
Two roads diverged in a wood and I took the one less traveled by.......now try backing your trailer out of that one!

2016 Forest River Microlite 21DS

2019 Ram 1500 Pearl Red Limited
Geobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
quality

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:02 PM.