Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2015, 11:22 AM   #1

Garmin 760ltm rv

I was just wondering if I bought another piece of junk? I do not own a smartphone, mine are throw aways. I'm leaving for Nashville Wed. and it routed me to a route I do not want to take. Once I get on 85 in NC.The way I want to take 40 all the way. So If I leave it off til I get to 85 then input my CG off 40 in Asheville NC. will it recalculate the route from where I turn it on? I want to stay on 40? I have never used this GPS before just got it for the trip. Thanks for any help or information. I have streets and maps, but it's a PIA to use transfer anything.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:29 AM   #2
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Well I never have liked the Magellan it's junk. I do have the Garmin but it's not the RV type but it sure works well.

Yours should recalculate once on 40. Is yours the one set up for RVs? I'm like you no Hi tech phones. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:31 AM   #3

Generally, if you don't go the way the GPS says, it will automatically recalculate. Sometimes you have to drive a distance, but if you are fairly certain where to go the GPS finally gets you going the way you want to go. It's always good to have a paper map to ensure that you at least have a handle of which way to go.

Bob, Diane & Snoopy
2018 3050s Sunseeker
Santabobswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:00 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

If you know part of the way you want to go, just do it. Then enter in your destination and it should do the rest. I do that with OnStar, drive till I'm almost lost then call for directions.

When your out checking out the scenery after you park your RV just drive till you get lost, then tell the GPS to take you back to the CG. Works for me.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:09 PM   #5

I purchased the Garmin RV 760LMT last year when we bought our RV. I've used Garmin gps units for years in our cars and always been pleased. The 760LMT has worked well and seems to do a good job of taking more RV friendly routes. There is definitely a difference in the routing when it is in RV mode vs. car mode. The only quirk is that it doesn't take propane regulations into account when routing, so for example, it will route you through the tunnels in Baltimore but my RV isn't permitted since we've got two 20lb propane tanks.
When you enter your destination, it will calculate its preferred route, but there is also a way on that screen to select other possible routes. That may help with what you are trying to do. We live near Charlotte and if we head up to New Jersey, it wants to take us via Rt85 -> Rt95, but I prefer to take an inland route via Rt77 -> Rt 81. If the route I want isn't on the list of possible routes it calculates, I will keep it off for a while until I am well on the way along and then turn it on and let it recalculate. Or I can keep it on and let it continuously recalculate until if finally figures out the route I'm taking.

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:26 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I just bought the same GPS a couple weeks ago after having pretty decent success with garmin nuvi. Never 100% rely on a GPS. Print out a set of Google maps or mapquest directions to take with you. GPS generally recalculate when you go another way but initially they will try to recalculate you back to the original route if you are close to it.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Well I never have liked the Magellan it's junk. I do have the Garmin but it's not the RV type but it sure works well.

Yours should recalculate once on 40. Is yours the one set up for RVs? I'm like you no Hi tech phones. Later RJD
Yea mine is set up for height and stuff, It has a propane app. I still print out google maps, but just can't understand why I can't drag it to the route I want. This is my 3rd Garmin. I bought a magellan truckers, what a peice of junk, sent it back to Amazon and bought this on sale, during there big day sales. I have the dignotics blue tooth already from my last garmin, and it works with this. Well we will see. My truck is to old to have onstar and all that stuff. I'm a pretty simple person just need to get From A to B...Thanks everyone, I'll let you know how the RV side works, Everyone have a good weekend and hope to see you in Goshen...

Old 07-25-2015, 02:51 PM   #8

The Garmin 760LMT has a propane app?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:19 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I was just wondering if I bought another piece of junk? I do not own a smartphone, mine are throw aways. I'm leaving for Nashville Wed. and it routed me to a route I do not want to take. Once I get on 85 in NC.The way I want to take 40 all the way. So If I leave it off til I get to 85 then input my CG off 40 in Asheville NC. will it recalculate the route from where I turn it on? I want to stay on 40? I have never used this GPS before just got it for the trip. Thanks for any help or information. I have streets and maps, but it's a PIA to use transfer anything.
I think you can program it to avoid certain areas, but I'm not sure. You can always use it to where you want to deviate and just turn on the road you want and it will eventually route you the way you're going.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK-in-SC View Post
The Garmin 760LMT has a propane app?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
I'm not sure, under Environmental zones: it say's "set the avoidance preference for area's with environmental or restrictions that may apply to your vehicle" Like I said just got it two days ago and still trying to learn it. I'm sure I can load propane restrictions from the POI list from Garmin or a private company like low bridges as an example had that on my old one. Same as bridges, tunnels and rest stops. Atleast I hope I can. will let you know when I get my 8 gig card, to load all this stuff on. It's 75% full without me loading any extra POI. That was a 15.00 extra charge, but Garmin said it would support up to 84 gig sd card. I know very little about it, except the recommendations from FRF members.. Thanks for the question

Old 07-25-2015, 08:23 PM   #11
Who Dares, Wins

I thought one of the major sells to this was it avoided propane restrictions and such. If it does not them what is the point I guess.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:18 PM   #12

Doesn't your Garmin have a Trip Planner? I think it's in the Apps section. Or, you should be able to create a route in Basecamp and import it. I have an older Garmin and I can input routes or Points of Interest (POI). Haven't done so lately, so not sure of the steps.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:19 AM   #13

Almost all GPS can be programmed for multiple waypoints eg: A to B to C to D and route you anyway you want.
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 03:27 AM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon455 View Post
Doesn't your Garmin have a Trip Planner? I think it's in the Apps section. Or, you should be able to create a route in Basecamp and import it. I have an older Garmin and I can input routes or Points of Interest (POI). Haven't done so lately, so not sure of the steps.
Basecamp is the biggest POS I've ever seen or downloaded from Garmin IMO. A totally useless app.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Basecamp is the biggest POS I've ever seen or downloaded from Garmin IMO. A totally useless app.
I have tried Basecamp to, it is not a user friendly site. I don't know why they stopped using google maps to send to your GPS handheld. I think they still allow to send it to cars, but not sure on that...

Old 07-26-2015, 06:01 AM   #16
Who Dares, Wins

It is definitely not user friendly.. It will also sometimes just NOT follow the route you create.

One thing I learned.. Once a route is created in Basecamp the GPS can over ride it and make change it as it see fit. So once a route is made you need to make sure the GPS is plugged into the Basecamp as well to "Confirm" the route. Even them it never worked and god forbid you go off the route to stop for fuel or eat. It will pick up where you left off but ignore the route that was programmed from that point forward..

We can put a man on the moon but can not drag and drop to pick the route I want to go!

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:01 AM   #17

Until recently Mapquest would work with Garmins, but not anymore. So I've had to get Basecamp and learn it.
Like others stated, not exactly intuitive. But Mapquest could be a PITA too sometimes. I dont have your model Garmin but I did get a route of my choice loaded and it worked using Basecamp. It just took awhile. Like anything new you have to figure out how it works and then adapt to it. Trying to make it work the way you think it should will just leave you frustrated.
I'm not defending the Garmins, there are things that could and should be better.
As someone else also mentioned, a backup plan be it an actual map or downloaded instruction via Google Maps is always a good idea.