Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2022, 11:39 AM   #201

Screw OPEC! Between Canada and the U.S. we have all the darn oil we need. All that has to happen is for the currant anti-oil (fossil fuel) administration to open back up the darn pipelines.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
Old 02-06-2022, 11:45 AM   #202
Trailer Park Supervisor

Home heating oil is up to $3.50/g now. Almost out of firewood, going to have to start burning black gold now.
Old 02-06-2022, 12:45 PM   #203

Quote:
All that has to happen is for the currant anti-oil (fossil fuel) administration to open back up the darn pipelines.
The America First voter can do this while waiting for electric infrastructure to build up to the demands that will be put on it with electric vehicles.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
Old 02-06-2022, 12:54 PM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
Screw OPEC! Between Canada and the U.S. we have all the darn oil we need. All that has to happen is for the currant anti-oil (fossil fuel) administration to open back up the darn pipelines.
Fact check:
The federal government does not own the pipelines, nor do they control oil supply. Biden has both called for increased production and has released federal petroleum reserves in an effort to bring prices down.
When the oil producers get greedy there is only so much the feds, whether there is an R or a D in the White House, can do.
Old 02-06-2022, 01:41 PM   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFD47 View Post
Fact check:
The federal government does not own the pipelines, nor do they control oil supply. Biden has both called for increased production and has released federal petroleum reserves in an effort to bring prices down.
When the oil producers get greedy there is only so much the feds, whether there is an R or a D in the White House, can do.
First, let me say I don't like talking politics on a site for campers. But,
IMHO Nope.
Fact Check: Federal regulation and the availability of federal land and the ability to transport the oil to the refineries is directly controlled by whatever party is in the white house. There is no other explanation and none is needed. Most of us are aware of the current administrations policies concerning fossil fuels. I'm not saying its right or wrong to do so. Just that the facts are this administration must accept their role in the cost of higher fuel and the resulting impact on the US economy.
Old 02-06-2022, 01:49 PM   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CRE View Post

IMHO Nope.

Fact Check: Federal regulation and the availability of federal land and the ability to transport the oil to the refineries is directly controlled by whatever party is in the white house. There is no other explanation and none is needed. Most of us are aware of the current administrations policies concerning fossil fuels. I'm not saying its right or wrong to do so. Just that the facts are this administration must accept their role in the cost of higher fuel and the resulting impact on the US economy.
Just remember, it's just human nature to brag about success and blame others for failure. Not politics but just how people in general are put together.

The only time things in our society ever get fixed is when they're broken badly enough EVERYONE suffers.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Old 02-06-2022, 01:54 PM   #207

Love it! FACT is the US has always had enough oil reserves (that would last for decades) that could be used to flatten oil prices. My wife used to be an auditor for several large oil companies and was surprised at reserve numbers compared to the general consumer consensus and reported numbers.
The price has fluctuated radically my entire life no matter what party is in control.
One thing you can always count on is prices being raised for every holiday, the hint of bad weather, or any military action by anybody in the world.
But some folks need a focal point to blame for their perceived problems. I guess the current president of any time period is the goto choice.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
Old 02-06-2022, 05:56 PM   #208
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Love it! FACT is the US has always had enough oil reserves (that would last for decades) that could be used to flatten oil prices. My wife used to be an auditor for several large oil companies and was surprised at reserve numbers compared to the general consumer consensus and reported numbers.
The price has fluctuated radically my entire life no matter what party is in control.
One thing you can always count on is prices being raised for every holiday, the hint of bad weather, or any military action by anybody in the world.
But some folks need a focal point to blame for their perceived problems. I guess the current president of any time period is the goto choice.
Thanks Scott, always a voice of reason.

It's amazing what some believe and how quickly they forget what happened in the past.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
Old 02-06-2022, 06:28 PM   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Agree with all you said.

However, one thing missing from all oil reserves discussion is the extraction costs for much of our continental and continental shelf reserves. A sad fact is that the "cheap oil" still comes from the mid-east.

Wgen US oil production rises they increase their production. Prices drop until it's no longer profitable to extract oil from much of "our reserves".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Old 02-06-2022, 06:48 PM   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Agree with all you said.

However, one thing missing from all oil reserves discussion is the extraction costs for much of our continental and continental shelf reserves. A sad fact is that the "cheap oil" still comes from the mid-east.

Wgen US oil production rises they increase their production. Prices drop until it's no longer profitable to extract oil from much of "our reserves".
Good point. Also important to consider is that our "oil reserves" are much like having a savings account after you retire - anything you use out of it is not likely to be replenished, so it's a good idea to act strategically and think carefully about the reasons and value of making a "withdrawal", and what the measurable outcome is likely to be.

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Old 02-07-2022, 07:16 PM   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CRE View Post
IMHO Nope.
Clarifying your Fact Check: What you speak of is true in that leasing of federal lands for oil exploration and production is controlled by the feds, and they have a lot to say about where pipelines can and cannot be built via the environmental impact statement process. But once the leases and pipelines are in place federal control ceases (barring major violations) and the day-to-day production and transport is under the control of the oil companies.
Old 02-08-2022, 11:08 AM   #212

Glad we cleared all that up! Anyways, back to gas/diesel prices, Gasbuddy is already telling us to look out for $4 a gallon by Memorial Day, or even before. I've always wondered who's "Buddy" Gasbuddy is? Are they just the water boy for the oil industry?
Old 02-08-2022, 11:44 AM   #213

So after spending the last half hour Googling GasBuddy and who they are, it becomes very sketchy who owns them. Google and Wikipedia say UCG company, which strangely enough Wikipedia has no record of even though they state GasBuddy is a subsidiary of them. Google UCG and you get United Communications Group headquartered, a multi-media company, outside of DC. But, scrolling down you will see UCG started in Taiwan in 1970 with headquarters around the world. Very strange.
Old 02-08-2022, 11:44 AM   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
We have avoided CA during our 4-5 month summer trips for 4 years now. Crazy expensive, way too many people, and mostly bad roads, besides the outrageous fuel prices.
Thing is the labor unions spent 40 million on TV ads to get the gas tax passed, as soon as it went into effect the Governor diverted the money from the roads to his pet projects. Duped again, for some I voted no.
Old 02-08-2022, 01:15 PM   #215

My guess is a lot of the money went to building more wind and solar which means commuters via ICE are not getting their money's worth.
Old 02-08-2022, 02:46 PM   #216

And still bad roads!
Old 02-08-2022, 03:00 PM   #217

$4 per gallon for regular by Memorial Day was mentioned in a report on Fox News this morning. No mention of diesel.
Old 02-08-2022, 03:13 PM   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
$4 per gallon for regular by Memorial Day was mentioned in a report on Fox News this morning. No mention of diesel.
Non CA of course! Home of where you Don’t get what you pay for.
Old 02-08-2022, 03:37 PM   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
So after spending the last half hour Googling GasBuddy and who they are, it becomes very sketchy who owns them. Google and Wikipedia say UCG company, which strangely enough Wikipedia has no record of even though they state GasBuddy is a subsidiary of them. Google UCG and you get United Communications Group headquartered, a multi-media company, outside of DC. But, scrolling down you will see UCG started in Taiwan in 1970 with headquarters around the world. Very strange.
After spending the last 5 minutes researching (research is a large component of my work), I find that GasBuddy is indeed owned by United Communications Group (which is a ridiculously common name), which was co-founded by Bruce Levenson (who also apparently owns the Atlanta Hawks).

From his web page (Official Website of Bruce Levenson | The official website of philanthropist and businessman Bruce Levenson)

Quote:
A journalist, entrepreneur and successful builder of several businesses, Bruce Levenson’s global endeavors span a wide range of interests from business intelligence to professional sports to cooking technology. He is perhaps best known in the business world as co-founder of United Communications Group, a company that provides guidance, analysis, data and solutions to customers in energy, government contracting, healthcare, information and software, banking, technology, telecom, and defense industries worldwide.
Levenson is a director of TechTarget, a publicly-traded company that serves as the online intersection of serious technology buyers, targeted technical content and technology providers worldwide. He is also a partner in GasBuddy, a mobile app downloaded by over 45 million motorists who use it to find low-priced gasoline. Additionally, he co-founded DOT, a new cooking technology that, among other things, toasts sliced bread in three seconds. He is an owner of Atlanta Hawks LLC, which owns the Atlanta Hawks NBA franchise. Most importantly, Bruce has been a philanthropist for over forty years.
Here is an old-ish Washington Post article (might be behind a paywall, but I was able to read it with no problem) that talks about the ownership of UCG. Something may have changed since then, but no mention of China or Taiwan or even outside investors. https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...diD_story.html

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Old 02-08-2022, 03:53 PM   #220
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFD47 View Post
Fact check:
More fact check:

Executive Orders have canceled further drilling in the ANWR, and the NPR has been closed for future drilling, both oil and gas. What was released from the NPR was 2.3 days of U.S. consumption.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
Closed Thread

Tags
fuel, gas, travel