Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 04:23 PM   #361
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
Damn, that bums me out, Kris!.....I was planning to break out the Patron for our beach and sound side lounge chair chats at the OBX in September. Really hoping it doesn't come to that tho. But, I completely understand you gotta do what you sometimes don't wanna do.
It ain't over till the pump signs are over 5 bucks! Keep the Patron handy please.
Old 03-15-2022, 04:29 PM   #362
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
You must be too young to remember when the stopped at .99 and put a sign on each to add a dollar up front.
Back in 1972-1973, I worked at a Gulf gas station, my first two years of college. Gas was between .25-.33 per gallon. I was out of college before the dollar number was added.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
Old 03-15-2022, 05:15 PM   #363

No big trip this year due to my wife starting a new job plus now I don’t feel like paying current gas prices this year for a big trip. We will take many small weekend 3-4 day trips within a 3-4 hour drive time range. The sting will appear to feel less but I doubt it.

2021 Cherokee Greywolf 23MK

Equalizer 1,000lb WDH
Old 03-15-2022, 06:53 PM   #364
Open Space Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
It looks like (according to Gasbuddy for my area) that prices are moderating somewhat. Or at least not rising by large jumps like the past weeks.

Kind of stalled around the $4.50 mark around here but surprisingly about 30 cents less around Seattle, go figure.

As usual world events caused everyone to panic, speculators to drive up prices, and then some reality set in.

Currently I'm adjusting my discretionary purchases and that alone has offset any increased fuel costs. Weather here will improve soon as it always does each year and that will make local camping a great option as opposed to traveling 1k miles or more.
Gas in the MD areas I frequent are typically different. Something odd happened before the SOTU...prices were pretty much the same at those places which is something I never saw. Took a day or two afterwards for the prices to change upwards again.

And now we have a 30 day optics "pause". Think I noticed about a 15˘ drop at most of those stations with similar prices once again, but this was by design.

Governor, top lawmakers agree to pause Maryland gas tax 30 days amid surging fuel prices
https://www.baltimoresun.com/politic...6ea-story.html

Don't use gas apps and these are eyes on drive bys (don't believe your lying eyes ). I don't drive around looking for lowest gas while wasting gas. Of course you have to read the fine print with their cash only price or with car wash tactics many stations use to lure the unsuspecting in. I fill up when I need to and stay away from the ripoff stations. The signage doesn't matter because they don't post 89 or 93 prices and typically are at least 30˘ more and reality starts at the pump.

Seeing more and more I did that stickers pointing to those prices.
Old 03-15-2022, 08:07 PM   #365

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisParise View Post
I remember riding in my dad's 56 Nash when he crept by pumps at .16 / gallon and was incensed it was a penny cheaper a block away - he just let out the clutch and kept moving down the road.

And there was no self service back then either.
You even got a clean windshield for that price.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
Old 03-15-2022, 08:07 PM   #366
Open Space Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisParise View Post
<Snip>

And there was no self service back then either.
And there still isn't in Jersey. Those that don't leave the state probably don't know how to fill up their tank.

Years ago there was this elderly lady looking at her car while I was pumping. She approached me after a while and asked if I could help her pump gas. Looked at her Jersey plates and knew why. Helped her out and let her know what she needed to do when done and said she should probably ask for help if she wasn't sure when it came time to complete the transaction.
Old 03-15-2022, 08:14 PM   #367

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverComeOver View Post
Gas in the MD areas I frequent are typically different. Something odd happened before the SOTU...prices were pretty much the same at those places which is something I never saw. Took a day or two afterwards for the prices to change upwards again.

And now we have a 30 day optics "pause". Think I noticed about a 15˘ drop at most of those stations with similar prices once again, but this was by design.

Governor, top lawmakers agree to pause Maryland gas tax 30 days amid surging fuel prices
https://www.baltimoresun.com/politic...6ea-story.html

Don't use gas apps and these are eyes on drive bys (don't believe your lying eyes ). I don't drive around looking for lowest gas while wasting gas. Of course you have to read the fine print with their cash only price or with car wash tactics many stations use to lure the unsuspecting in. I fill up when I need to and stay away from the ripoff stations. The signage doesn't matter because they don't post 89 or 93 prices and typically are at least 30˘ more and reality starts at the pump.

Seeing more and more I did that stickers pointing to those prices.
If one doesn't use 89 or 93 gas they don't care if that price is posted.

Many states have requirements (regulations) that require prices be posted in a
manner it's visible from the street and the same as on the pumps. Most in this century use electronic signs which are, like the pimps, controlled by a central computer at the station.

Very rare around me to find a sign with hand changed letters and our state is all over stations that don't play by the rules. Even monitoring pumps for accuracy practically down to the drop.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 03-16-2022, 06:55 AM   #368
Trailer Park Supervisor

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverComeOver View Post
And there still isn't in Jersey. Those that don't leave the state probably don't know how to fill up their tank.

Years ago there was this elderly lady looking at her car while I was pumping. She approached me after a while and asked if I could help her pump gas. Looked at her Jersey plates and knew why. Helped her out and let her know what she needed to do when done and said she should probably ask for help if she wasn't sure when it came time to complete the transaction.
Jerks in our legislature are trying to eliminate the "no self serve" law again. The ONE thing left that's nice about living in NJ, having someone pump your gas, especially when it's bad weather, or you're all dressed up to go somewhere. They are claiming it will save driver's money. Dirty rotten liars. Price will be the same and the only ones benefiting will be gas station owners.
Old 03-16-2022, 07:11 AM   #369

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Jerks in our legislature are trying to eliminate the "no self serve" law again. The ONE thing left that's nice about living in NJ, having someone pump your gas, especially when it's bad weather, or you're all dressed up to go somewhere. They are claiming it will save driver's money. Dirty rotten liars. Price will be the same and the only ones benefiting will be gas station owners.

I understand the theory on why gas would be cheaper but like you I agree most if not all will not drop the price enough to reflect the money saved by not paying a pumper.
Old 03-16-2022, 07:12 AM   #370

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
You must be too young to remember when the stopped at .99 and put a sign on each to add a dollar up front.

Wow! I do remember filling my Yamaha 175 cc for under $2.00, paid with pocket change 🤣.
Imagine taking a bag change in to pay for gas now.
Old 03-16-2022, 08:01 AM   #371
Site Team

Quote:
We were in NJ briefly a few years ago and I had to get gas there one time. It was really weird having someone else pump it.

I can't imagine it would have much affect on the gas prices but I also have to think that the overhead of having a bunch of extra employees there solely to pump gas is quite expensive for the gas station owners.

I know the gas station near my house has to run on a skeleton crew quite often because they can barely get people to show up half the time. The employees there are working 10, 12 16 hour days just to keep the place open some days.
Old 03-16-2022, 08:21 AM   #372

No change in plans here. As we are in our prime travel age I refuse to wait. We will just suck it up and enjoy our golden years.
Refusing to have my movement controlled by gas prices or government.
Old 03-16-2022, 08:49 AM   #373
Canadian Member

Quote:
Kris, don’t worry too much. We still have some “full serve” gas stations here although they do charge a bit more than the “self serve” stations. When our kids were little and in car seats, we really appreciated not having to get out of the car to pump our own gas although nowadays most stations have pay-at-the-pump features so you don’t have to go inside to pay. I’ll still go to a “full serve” station when the wether is exceptionally bad and I’ll tip the gas jockey. I used to do that job in my teens.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

Old 03-16-2022, 08:56 AM   #374
Trailer Park Supervisor

Exactly itat. If they change the law, the 'full serve' we have now will go up in price, if there is even someone around to do it. My guess is they will make it so inconvenient, and make you wait, that nobody will use it. The self-serve will mirror today's full serve prices. I would bet all I have that prices would NOT go down one cent if they changed to self-serve tomorrow. I know how dirty Jersey works.
Old 03-16-2022, 10:37 AM   #375

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
I understand the theory on why gas would be cheaper but like you I agree most if not all will not drop the price enough to reflect the money saved by not paying a pumper.
Oregon is a "No Self Service" state and the gas prices there are pretty much the same as here in WA State, at least based on my purchases as passing through this last January.

Funny thing, Oregon recently changed their law to allow for Self Service in smaller counties. Mainly to benefit the small towns and rural areas where it was impractical to have staff on site 24/7 and stations closed overnight.

Now the pumps can be left on with "pay at the pump" for those who need gas at midnight, etc. It was the consensus that a lot of Oregonians who never traveled to other states would need to be taught how to pump their own gas

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 03-16-2022, 10:42 AM   #376
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Oregon is a "No Self Service" state and the gas prices there are pretty much the same as here in WA State, at least based on my purchases as passing through this last January.

Funny thing, Oregon recently changed their law to allow for Self Service in smaller counties. Mainly to benefit the small towns and rural areas where it was impractical to have staff on site 24/7 and stations closed overnight.

Now the pumps can be left on with "pay at the pump" for those who need gas at midnight, etc. It was the consensus that a lot of Oregonians who never traveled to other states would need to be taught how to pump their own gas
I remember when that happened. People were legit freaking out thinking they were going to blow themselves up or something by having to pump their own gas.
Old 03-16-2022, 10:53 AM   #377

Quote:
Exactly itat. If they change the law, the 'full serve' we have now will go up in price, if there is even someone around to do it. My guess is they will make it so inconvenient, and make you wait, that nobody will use it. The self-serve will mirror today's full serve prices. I would bet all I have that prices would NOT go down one cent if they changed to self-serve tomorrow. I know how dirty Jersey works.
When the gas crunch hit back in the 70's Self Serve became widespread here in WA State (and I'm sure other states as well).

Dealers were able to eliminate at least one, and often several more, full time employees depending on size of station.

At today's labor rates that can amount to $15-$20/hr (local minimum wage can be up to $15/hr) per employee with at least three employees per 24 hr day. That amounts to $400-$500 + per day with additional amounts for the employer's contribution to Social Security and Medicare (7.65% total) as well as any benefits offered.

From a Gas Station owner's perspective Self Service not only eliminates a large amount of payroll (depending on station size) but also allows for their being more competitive in the competition for VOLUME. Volume gives them bigger discounts and in times of shortage when supplies are allocated, they get a larger share of the available fuel. As we all know, people will search for a station with gas selling for a penny or more less.

Personally, I prefer Self Serve. When I fill my own tank I get a FULL tank. When in Oregon most attendants are more concerned with getting the pump to show "Even Money" than filling the tank that last gallon or more once the nozzle shuts off.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 03-16-2022, 02:29 PM   #378

Quote:

Kris, please excuse my ignorance when I ask this. Why is it exactly that NJ has laws in place that all gas stations only provide full service? I've never been thru Jersey before, so I've never encountered this before. Is it to keep the costs of drive-off's or other means of stealing gas to a minimum, or non-existent?

If this is indeed the logic behind it, I think with today's sky high fuel costs, it'd likely be a deterrent to anyone thinking of stealing gas without getting caught. But, it seems more and more, thieves still find clever ways to steal it if they're determined enough. And, if Jesery did decide to change laws to self-service, there's no way in hell they'd lower the price per gallon. In fact, they'd more likely raise it and use the excuse of covering their increased risk and associated costs with drive-off's.
Old 03-16-2022, 03:16 PM   #379

Can someone please explain to me how there are drive-offs at gas stations if payment is presented in advance? I think stations would be more concerned with chargebacks from stolen cards or unscrupulous consumers. Oh, wait. Those are both unscrupulous.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Old 03-16-2022, 03:26 PM   #380
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon455 View Post
Can someone please explain to me how there are drive-offs at gas stations if payment is presented in advance? I think stations would be more concerned with chargebacks from stolen cards or unscrupulous consumers. Oh, wait. Those are both unscrupulous.
Pre-pay definitely solves the issue. Some gas stations don't have it though.
Closed Thread

Tags
fuel, gas, travel