Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2021, 05:19 PM   #101
Trailer Park Supervisor

I'm part of the 4% of US households using oil to heat their homes, ugh. They are saying to anticipate paying 43% more than last year. Looks like I'm firing up wood stove full time again. Was so nice to take a break from feeding the beast non-stop all winter.
Old 11-13-2021, 09:23 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by PodGeek View Post
Worked at a "Shopper's Fair" in the summer of '73 for $1.85/hour. Took home about $60 (cash) for a 40-hour week.

I thought that they ripped me off, or else I didn't understand withholding...ah ha, that's probably it.

Wow, I thought I was getting ripped off back in 75 making about $98 a week in the USN!
Old 11-13-2021, 09:37 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammici View Post
Wow, I thought I was getting ripped off back in 75 making about $98 a week in the USN!
10 years earlier I thought the same thing only the $98/week was more like $98/MONTH (in the Army).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
Old 11-14-2021, 05:59 AM   #104
Defender of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I can't say no matter what the cost of gas is, I'm not wealthy enough to say that. But I can say I would revert to camping out of my pickup truck instead of cutting mileage in half by towing a camper. That is, if this RV life hasn't sissified me. 3 years into it, would be hard to go back to tent life!
I've been watching a lot reviews on youtube for tents that you pop up in the bed of a truck. Some of them seem to work quite well and go up sorta quickly (if you have practiced and it's not raining). All utilize the entire bed and tailgate and get you out of the elements but don't effect gas milage a bit. Haven't found a video yet that really shows someone taking much "stuff" and where they put it for a cross country trip. And of course they are all mucho $$ for a tent!

The wife has shared her opinion - "Absolutely not for her! She got a camper to have a bathroom and a real bed."
Centerline TS WDH
2004 Heritage Softtail Harley Davidson
Old 11-14-2021, 07:31 AM   #105

well just bought a new 5'er. getting it in a week. Have a titan xd. diesel at $3.55. Just have to take it out. But local under 100 miles. There is a KOA just a mile down road. one next option for me. as i just have to go camping. been few yrs since i last went my Class A got totaled when Irma struck us. For me it's not just about how far to travel. it's All about setting up, starting a fire, having a cocktail, an relaxing .
Old 11-14-2021, 08:24 AM   #106
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Or plan trips to destinations where they stay longer with more to do.

As for gasoline/diesel prices, I believe that the current upward pressure on prices will eventually lessen and they will come back down to a more reasonable level. Crude prices are up due to the pandemic's disruption of just about everything related to production, transport, and refining. Add to this the number of refineries and production platforms around the Gulf of Mexico that went off line due to storms with one closely following another.

Because "fuel" affects just about everything in our lives today, not just recreational travel, there will be a lot of effort put into reducing the upward pressure on prices. Wells that were "capped" due to production prices outstripping market prices will be brought back into production. Exploration and drilling will resume as market prices increase. In the end prices will level off and we'll all adjust.

Just like we all have since the early 70's.
Thanks Mike for putting reality into words.
I quoted your post because it's worth a reread.

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=90
Old 11-14-2021, 10:22 AM   #107
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I've been watching a lot reviews on youtube for tents that you pop up in the bed of a truck. Some of them seem to work quite well and go up sorta quickly (if you have practiced and it's not raining). All utilize the entire bed and tailgate and get you out of the elements but don't effect gas milage a bit. Haven't found a video yet that really shows someone taking much "stuff" and where they put it for a cross country trip. And of course they are all mucho $$ for a tent!

The wife has shared her opinion - "Absolutely not for her! She got a camper to have a bathroom and a real bed."
Yup, that's my situation. I finally got her back camping with me (when younger, we were backpackers, would never go to a 'campground'.) Now she wants a bed, toilet, heat/AC. Hard to please old people, lol. She's 5 years older than me.
Old 11-14-2021, 10:27 AM   #108
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
10 years earlier I thought the same thing only the $98/week was more like $98/MONTH (in the Army).
I think I was making 4k a year in the Marines, early 80's. Considering your food, lodging, and medical were covered, that was all beer money after making car and insurance payment!
Old 11-14-2021, 07:44 PM   #109

Some call me crazy but I still have my paystubs from back in the 80s when I was in the Airforce.
2011 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed
5.7L Hemi, 3:73 Rear
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
Old 11-14-2021, 07:47 PM   #110
Trailer Park Supervisor

I still have mine. I gotta purge before I croak and leave some poor SOB cleaning all this junk up.
Old 11-14-2021, 08:34 PM   #111

Quote:
Army pay in 1967 was $78.00 a month. That was with no monthly allotment deductions being single. From that we had to buy our own haircuts, toiletries, and we may have had deductions to pay for laundry service.
Old 11-15-2021, 04:39 PM   #112

In response to your question answer is NO. Gas prices have never concerned me to this point, not going to start now, it's a cost of doing business and the business is having fun. Too many muck heads think politicians control oil prices and argue stupidly about it, no point discussing. Carry on.
Old 11-15-2021, 05:00 PM   #113
Retired Army MSG!

Diesel user here so we know how the story goes. Just completed over a 1000 mile trip pulling 5vr from SC to FL and back. Drove no faster than 65 either way. Got 11 MPG. It is what it is, but not going to stop doing what I love.
Old 11-15-2021, 07:42 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawac14 View Post
Interesting. In June, I crossed the bridge at the Delaware Water Gap with my MicroLite 19FBS in tow, and they charged me $3.25, listing the rig as Class 11. Once, I got overcharged on the I-78 toll, and I contacted the Delaware Bridge authority, and got the charge adjusted. It took about 2 months, though.
Most Expensive Tolls this year: All EZPASS so who knows if they are correct.
NJTPK - Exit4 to 18W - $38.50
Verrazano - $20.35
Throgs Neck - $18.73
George Washington - $13.78
Delaware Memorial - $7.50
Avg MPG is 12 - regular unleaded.
Old 11-15-2021, 08:11 PM   #115

Up here in Canada the gas is roughly 1.42/ litre or 6.40/ gal + for regular unleaded.
Last October, 2020, we were paying1.00/ litre.
42% increase and still rising.
So when is too much going to be too much?
The longer the trip the cheaper it is
Short trips, under 4-5 days are not feasible at this cost.
When you add up cost of gas for a vehicle, hotel rooms, restaurant food, RVing is for now still cheaper.
When gas goes up , so does most everything else, food , lodging etc.
for us, 2.00/ litre would be hard to take, hopefully won’t see that anytime soon, but having said that, didn’t think we would see where we are now! As long as people are still willing to pay the rip off gas prices, nothing will change.
We don’t buy these things for fuel economy, but at some point some of us will make the hard decision to say enough is enough.
Look at what happened at the start of the Pandemic when people collectively stopped driving! Gas prices plummeted!
Demand fuels higher prices, simple.
Old 11-15-2021, 08:17 PM   #116
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celticrider View Post
Up here in Canada the gas is roughly 1.42/ litre or 6.40/ gal + for regular unleaded.
Last October, 2020, we were paying1.00/ litre.
42% increase and still rising.
So when is too much going to be too much?
The longer the trip the cheaper it is
Short trips, under 4-5 days are not feasible at this cost.
When you add up cost of gas for a vehicle, hotel rooms, restaurant food, RVing is for now still cheaper.
When gas goes up , so does most everything else, food , lodging etc.
for us, 2.00/ litre would be hard to take, hopefully won’t see that anytime soon, but having said that, didn’t think we would see where we are now! As long as people are still willing to pay the rip off gas prices, nothing will change.
We don’t buy these things for fuel economy, but at some point some of us will make the hard decision to say enough is enough.
Look at what happened at the start of the Pandemic when people collectively stopped driving! Gas prices plummeted!
Demand fuels higher prices, simple.
I honestly don't know how you Canadians can afford to drive anywhere.
Old 11-15-2021, 08:42 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I honestly don't know how you Canadians can afford to drive anywhere.
Our gallons of gas are bigger, cheaper in the long run!
Just joking.
Yes it’s kind of funny to see our American friends come up here to see the look on their faces when they fill up.
Only advantage to you guys South of the border is your dollar gets you more up here.
Nice when we go to the US for us to pay’cheap’ gas
Old 11-15-2021, 09:44 PM   #118

The wife and I are retired and 1 1/2 yrs ago got a 22’ travel trailer and now tow with a older GMC Yukon Denali with a 6.0. I average about 9-10 mpg at 60 mph. We started out just local and worked our way up to 700 miles to Fl.Keys and stay at state parks mostly. We do plan a trip out to the west in a few years. She figures in mileage in our budget and that’s not going to chang unless something drastic happens. I come from the boating background working in it and fishing all over. Gas at the marinas in the keys is over $5:00 gal this past summer . Normally On my 19’ boat if I fish 25 miles offshore I burn about 30 gal of non ethical $ 4.10 gal = $ 123.00 boat another $50.00 in SUV so average day fishing in small boat cost $173.00 and not about to stop that either. I could drive my RV about 54 miles.
A few years ago I captained a friends 38’ sport fish with twin 454’s in it ( begged him to buy a diesel boat ) and he wanted to take his daughters and him to the Bahamas . We topped the tank and left Fort Pierce to West End which is 90 miles each way. Well the trip took almost 5.5 hours each way at best cruise. We left on Friday dawn checked into customs around noon. Recreational fishing boat cost $300.00 tax and don’t forget to tip if you want to get out of there quickly. He had a room for his girls and we slept in the boat. 3 nights regular room. $675.00 , breakfast for 4 $125.00 , bar bill $ 300.00 ( I don’t drink ) dinners $160 x3 =480.00 and that doesn’t include items /food/ drink on the boat . The fuel bill alone was $1865.00.
So a 4 day trip costed over $ 3250.00
If you look at it that way RVing isn’t that bad. At 10 miles to the gallon at $ 3.19
I can drive about 10,188 miles and spend more than 4 days doing it.

JUST FOOD FOR THOUGHT FROM A FISHERMAN.
Old 11-16-2021, 01:03 AM   #119

Figuring the price of the TV, maintenance, repairs, insurance, registration taxes, etc and the price of the RV and depreciation on both, place to stay, things to see and do.... gas is still the cheapest part of the trip.
Old 11-16-2021, 09:15 AM   #120
JCR

This is not the first time gasoline went to the moon. In 2008 it was 4.50 gallon in places. The mismanagement of the pandemic has put this country in a world of hurt and with petroleum companies consolidating there is price controlling and gouging in the midst.The U.S. fuel demand is high right now and we are still exporting it at great numbers ????Camping is a lifestyle and at this point in time may not be the cheapest form of travel ,(depending)
Closed Thread

Tags
fuel, gas, travel