Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2021, 09:53 PM   #41

The gas shortage? in the '70s I remember. Was trying to get home late and needed to get gas. Station after station closed. During the day you waited in long lines and the station personnel would not let you get gas until you let them see you gas gage was under ˝ full or no gas. Some days you saw pictures in the newspapers of people getting 8 - 6 gallon containers out of their truck or trunk to fill up with gas. Saw one guy who had a 500 gallon heating oil tank on on snowmobile trailer with "GAS" spray painted on the side of the green tank. Transporting like that was sure safe.

If you want a shortage in this country, you just have to declare it. Watch a pig with a heating oil tank feeling entitled to take it all!

I'm going to go out yet this summer. Planning a trip west. At my age, waiting for gas to go down is not an option.
Old 11-08-2021, 10:23 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQROOT View Post
Wife and I would rather spend money on camping then saving it for kids. They can work for it. Mean? Not really, they don't need ours, they do ok.
Being mean is giving everything to them. Then they don’t learn how to take care of themselves.
Old 11-08-2021, 10:32 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob2019 View Post
The gas shortage? in the '70s I remember. Was trying to get home late and needed to get gas. Station after station closed. During the day you waited in long lines and the station personnel would not let you get gas until you let them see you gas gage was under ˝ full or no gas. Some days you saw pictures in the newspapers of people getting 8 - 6 gallon containers out of their truck or trunk to fill up with gas. Saw one guy who had a 500 gallon heating oil tank on on snowmobile trailer with "GAS" spray painted on the side of the green tank. Transporting like that was sure safe.

If you want a shortage in this country, you just have to declare it. Watch a pig with a heating oil tank feeling entitled to take it all!

I'm going to go out yet this summer. Planning a trip west. At my age, waiting for gas to go down is not an option.
In those years I had tanks at home, sometimes it took more early planning to get them filled but I had more of a buffer. My dad worked in the auto factory during the second world war and he had a gas allotment, tire allotment and a set of blackout lights for vehicle. He had to stay until the war was over, then buy his own gas.
Old 11-08-2021, 10:58 PM   #44

regular is going for almost $5.00 a gallon for regular here in CA. If we feel the pinch, we keep our trips closer to home. Camping in government CGs or similar is still one of the most inexpensive vacations
Old 11-09-2021, 08:49 AM   #45

Don't worry about gas prices today by spring they will be twice as high ! that's what happens when you stop production , and then threaten to close another vital pipeline , shut down drilling leases , and tie the hands of oil producers . of course we love giving our money to opec . we almost got away from it for a couple yrs but their back in control. soon it's be $10 for a gallon of propane and gas so high trucks will be parked
Old 11-09-2021, 09:03 AM   #46
Insert witty title here

My daily commuter is 100% electric and my electric rates haven't changed in several years so at least my daily driving costs haven't changed.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
Old 11-09-2021, 09:41 AM   #47

Just got back from a 8,000 mile 60 day trip to California.

Saw prices in Houston this week of $3.04 for diesel. Over $6.00 in California last month.

At 10 mpg, we used a lot! More than $3,000.

I guess, it did not affect us much!

Loved boondocking out west. Moab was really nice.
Old 11-09-2021, 11:00 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
My daily commuter is 100% electric and my electric rates haven't changed in several years so at least my daily driving costs haven't changed.
My daily driving has been the same too, for the last 17 years. I just stay home and work around the property. Plenty to do making things in the shop or restoring vehicles. Outside of course maintenance and firewood preparation and storage. No need to go anywhere daily. Your daily costs may increase when your battery needs replacement.
Old 11-09-2021, 11:17 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campincarters View Post
Hello fellow RVERS. Just wondering what is the price level that will cause you to rethink planning a 7 to 10 day trip for price and distance. Mine is $4.00 per gallon and 500 miles in distance each way max. At my 8.5 mpg it would cost me about $500 in gas and if I drove one of my cars it would cost much less but I would have to compare others costs such as hotel or house rental and how much I could cook at the location. But I do know it will not be as much fun. I have learned that in my 3011ds I do not necessarily travel light. May be staying in the northeast in 2022 for my travels again.
Back to the original question, I think gas prices would need to at least double or triple before I would think seriously of curtailing RV trip plans based solely on the cost. Having spent over $80K on a motorhome, it would be a little late now to be concerned about fuel prices.

Lately my concern is more about the environmental impact of burning all that fuel. Maybe tripling gas prices would be a good thing.

Traveling by car and staying in hotels is not appealing or cost effective to me. I would much rather travel by motorcycle and tent camp on long trips if gas prices got extremely high, and use the RV close to home.
Old 11-09-2021, 11:41 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
Back to the original question, I think gas prices would need to at least double or triple before I would think seriously of curtailing RV trip plans based solely on the cost. Having spent over $80K on a motorhome, it would be a little late now to be concerned about fuel prices.

Lately my concern is more about the environmental impact of burning all that fuel. Maybe tripling gas prices would be a good thing.

Traveling by car and staying in hotels is not appealing or cost effective to me. I would much rather travel by motorcycle and tent camp if gas prices got extremely high.
Trying to control energy use today would work about like prohibition did. If you are worried about pollution then we should start with cruise ships and pleasure air travel. Also since most of our items we purchase today are made with high polluting coal in China. Are people really ready to cut back? Maybe we should be willing to triple prices and make those products here? After all we have an abundance of non polluting energy.
Old 11-09-2021, 11:57 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
Trying to control energy use today would work about like prohibition did. If you are worried about pollution then we should start with cruise ships and pleasure air travel. Also since most of our items we purchase today are made with high polluting coal in China. Are people really ready to cut back? Maybe we should be willing to triple prices and make those products here? After all we have an abundance of non polluting energy.
I agree about cruise ships and air travel. I cancelled an air trip and cruise to Iceland and Europe. I have ended all cruise ship and leisure air travel. And, I have never been a big consumer, instead I repair rather than replace.

Driving an RV is not an environmentally friendly activity. I am trying to do it more wisely going forward. My long 6300 mile trip this year was done instead by motorcycle at 65 miles per gallon rather than my RV at 9 mpg. The RV is being used for close to home trips, or long stays at distance sites, where the fuel cost/usage per vacation day is less.
Old 11-09-2021, 12:40 PM   #52

Not changing any of our planned trips, but at 4.89 for 87, the fill-ups hurt a bit more.
Old 11-09-2021, 01:10 PM   #53
Insert witty title here

Quote:
My daily driving has been the same too, for the last 17 years. I just stay home and work around the property. Plenty to do making things in the shop or restoring vehicles. Outside of course maintenance and firewood preparation and storage. No need to go anywhere daily. Your daily costs may increase when your battery needs replacement.
Lifetime battery warranty.

Old 11-09-2021, 01:14 PM   #54

Quote:
Just wait another month electric will double . you think they pull it out of thin air ? nat gas higher which fuels electric plants , bigger drain on the system with more electric cars then the grid can handle . no one will be forgotten when it comes to energy price hikes .
Old 11-09-2021, 01:14 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
I agree about cruise ships and air travel. I cancelled an air trip and cruise to Iceland and Europe. I have ended all cruise ship and leisure air travel. And, I have never been a big consumer, instead I repair rather than replace.

Driving an RV is not an environmentally friendly activity. I am trying to do it more wisely going forward. My long 6300 mile trip this year was done instead by motorcycle at 65 miles per gallon rather than my RV at 9 mpg. The RV is being used for close to home trips, or long stays at distance sites, where the fuel cost/usage per vacation day is less.
I stay home all week just working in my shop or maintaining my property, I took one cruise in my life, most boring thing ever. Watching them fill that thing with a 12” hose so we could drag along at 22knts. I use a truck camper, a little better at 15 mpg. Since I live in the rural foothills I don’t need to escape a city and go so called camping as much.
Old 11-09-2021, 01:24 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Just wait another month electric will double . you think they pull it out of thin air ? nat gas higher which fuels electric plants , bigger drain on the system with more electric cars then the grid can handle . no one will be forgotten when it comes to energy price hikes .
Yup, electric cars are just pollution re-locaters. I suppose the tire prices and insurance hasn’t gone up either. Now the POTUS vows to reduce methane. Ha Ha, just switched to nat. gas to replace coal. P/S natural gas is methane. First one has to stay awake long enough to learn that.
Old 11-09-2021, 01:41 PM   #57

Quote:
Lifetime battery warranty.
Nothing is free just added in somewhere else to make it sound good. lots of solar makers had 20 or 25 year panel warranties also, they just sold out before that happened. They also made changes in the panel sizes so it is difficult to put in a replacement. Do you think they will keep making that battery for your lifetime?
Better read the fine print.
Old 11-09-2021, 01:41 PM   #58
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post

Perhaps, but not today.

Old 11-09-2021, 03:50 PM   #59

It's not about the money.
Old 11-09-2021, 04:43 PM   #60

Quote:
Add to your list of polluters-, Rocket Launches. Every rocket puts about the same amount of greenhouse gasses into the environment in a few minutes as thousands of cars, trucks, and buses do in a year.

Many today are to place satellites in orbit so people can be connected to their social media anywhere and without delay. Also for those who have obscene amounts of disposable income and want to just take a ride above earth's atmosp hff ere and gravity.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Closed Thread

Tags
fuel, gas, travel