Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 10:06 AM   #261
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Those of us who've been around long enough have seen/been on this roller coaster before.

It seems like I've swore in every decade I'd never pay the prices for some things that cost twice what they had the last year.

My mom swore she'd quit smoking when cigarettes went to a dollar a pack. She still smoked no matter the cost. My dad loved milk but swore he'd never pay $2 a gallon. Guess what... he did.

It is what it is and for those who enjoy the R/V way of life, we will adapt and pay whatever it costs or move on to something else. Maybe buy a boat! Have you seen recent marina fuel prices? Yet I see thousands of boats on the intercoastal waterways daily here in FL.

On a recent trip down I95 to Palm Beach there were hundreds of thousands of cars along the way. Almost bumper to bumper. No shortage of traffic due to current fuel prices.

Life goes on regardless. Just my observation. Maybe you're seeing something different through your sunglasses.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
Old 03-05-2022, 10:20 AM   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
If it was only 50¢/GL it wouldn't be a big deal, but both gas and diesel here have gone up $1.75/GL since this time last year. Couple that with the other commodities that have increased in price and you start to get into some serious money. Last May we bought propane at $1.99/GL. Today it's $2.99/GL.
Three years ago propane delivered was .99 gallon. The old saying you get what you pay for being a reference to quality just doesn’t apply. Housing prices are crazy too. A house that wouldn’t sell two years ago for $275k. Just sold for $525k with sealed bids. All the free money pumped into the economy is going to create a big let down in the future.
Old 03-05-2022, 10:41 AM   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Those of us who've been around long enough have seen/been on this roller coaster before.

It seems like I've swore in every decade I'd never pay the prices for some things that cost twice what they had the last year.

My mom swore she'd quit smoking when cigarettes went to a dollar a pack. She still smoked no matter the cost. My dad loved milk but swore he'd never pay $2 a gallon. Guess what... he did.

It is what it is and for those who enjoy the R/V way of life, we will adapt and pay whatever it costs or move on to something else. Maybe buy a boat! Have you seen recent marina fuel prices? Yet I see thousands of boats on the intercoastal waterways daily here in FL.

On a recent trip down I95 to Palm Beach there were hundreds of thousands of cars along the way. Almost bumper to bumper. No shortage of traffic due to current fuel prices.

Life goes on regardless. Just my observation. Maybe you're seeing something different through your sunglasses.
X2 Can't agree more. Most of us have been through this several times. This too shall pass........ Or become the new normal
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
Old 03-05-2022, 11:00 AM   #264
Trailer Park Supervisor

Man oh man!!! Heating oil just jumped AGAIN! Ridiculous jumps every day now. Up to $4.50/g. Those folks who say they would continue their plans at any price; Got room for one more? I'm a good cook and housebroken.
Old 03-05-2022, 11:34 AM   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchilero53 View Post
Diesel varies a bit here in Texas but it is floating around $4.55/gallon and is often $0.20 higher than Premium. West Texas Intermediate is at $112.80/bbl on NYMEX just right now. Unless things moderate, you are looking at $5+ per gallon by summer vacation time. [emoji37][emoji24]

Don’t tell me that heade to Atlanta TX next Saturday from west Texas normally prices are 40 to 50 cents cheaper than hear the further west I travel. On a six hour trip into panhandle west Texas and panhandle 3.99 to 4.30 on average
Old 03-05-2022, 12:23 PM   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post

Maybe I missed it but when was the last time the government gave out so much free money?
Old 03-05-2022, 12:35 PM   #267
Trailer Park Supervisor

I look at this way: I finally got something BACK with those stimmy payments, after paying OUT so much money in taxes for so long. Not free money, just my own money returned to me. They make it look like they are doing you a favor. Yeah, like convincing people a 401k (retirement supplement) is now their retirement vehicle instead of a pension.
Old 03-05-2022, 12:42 PM   #268

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I look at this way: I finally got something BACK with those stimmy payments, after paying OUT so much money in taxes for so long. Not free money, just my own money returned to me. They make it look like they are doing you a favor. Yeah, like convincing people a 401k (retirement supplement) is now their retirement vehicle instead of a pension.
That’s how you are supposed to afford the fuel prices?
Compared to what we payed in it’s like getting a roll nickels.
Old 03-05-2022, 10:06 PM   #269

Hell no, its not affecting my travels, in my book if you can own an RV (which by the way in most circles is considered a luxury), then you can afford the fuel to drive it or pull it. Wa-whoo, safe travelez...
Old 03-06-2022, 07:15 AM   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timtation1 View Post
To me this is the old story: If you have to ask, you can't afford it
Nothing wrong with asking. Who would of thought prices would be what they are in such a short period of time!
Old 03-06-2022, 07:45 AM   #271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota joe View Post
Who would of thought prices would be what they are in such a short period of time!
We are between Clermont and Orlando, FL. Filled up with Deisel for $3.86 on Wednesday. Same station was $4.69 when I drove past it yesterday. I am expecting $5.00 or more by the time we move on March 13th.
Old 03-06-2022, 09:12 AM   #272

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy boys 3 View Post
Hell no, its not affecting my travels, in my book if you can own an RV (which by the way in most circles is considered a luxury), then you can afford the fuel to drive it or pull it. Wa-whoo, safe travelez...

Nothing wrong with that way of thought but I feel I am at the opposite end the owning of the rv makes it difficult to afford the price by the time I make the payment on the truck to pull it the rv and the insurance. Then gas prices do effect me. I will be driving around 1300 miles round trip next week the extra basically $1 a gallon is costing an extra $136 that’s for only an in state trip to visit family. If this had been my trip last year that I had budgeted for for two years it would have added an extra 700 . Something would have been dropped.
Old 03-06-2022, 09:17 AM   #273
Trailer Park Supervisor

That something that would have been dropped for us is dining out. Got used to not dining out over last 2 years, and have become a pretty good cook. Went out the other day to eat and got sticker shock. Made me want to eat out even less.
Old 03-06-2022, 09:46 AM   #274

Quote:
That something that would have been dropped for us is dining out. Got used to not dining out over last 2 years, and have become a pretty good cook. Went out the other day to eat and got sticker shock. Made me want to eat out even less.
I hear you! We like to go out for a couple of drinks and dinner about twice a week. Used to be under $50 a night. Now it is always over $80. And that is without the tip. But everything has gone up. Fuel prices are definitely not my major concern.
Some cost increases may be legit, but must of it feels like covid/weather/war excuses used by greedy folks.
One thing that concerns me is the empty shelves at Walmart and Sam's Club. Some products missing entirely. Hell, they finally had my favorite ice cream after being out of stock for over a year. I bought every container (8 I think). Haven't seen it since
But I know that either it will pass, or we will learn to live with it, just like always.
Old 03-06-2022, 09:47 AM   #275
Trailer Park Supervisor

We should start hoarding. Maybe start another TP shortage. That was brilliant.
Old 03-06-2022, 09:47 AM   #276

Our experience for eating out was funny. Went out to breakfast at one of the big name places and was surprised that the prices on the menu had not changed since our previous visit several weeks earlier.
Then the breakfast arrived and the portion size was about half what they had been.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
Old 03-06-2022, 09:54 AM   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Our experience for eating out was funny. Went out to breakfast at one of the big name places and was surprised that the prices on the menu had not changed since our previous visit several weeks earlier.
Then the breakfast arrived and the portion size was about half what they had been.
Ouch!!!!
Old 03-06-2022, 09:57 AM   #278

Prices are usually whatever the traffic will bare! When the public stops buying the price will come down.
Old 03-06-2022, 09:57 AM   #279

Quote:
We should start hoarding. Maybe start another TP shortage. That was brilliant.
I got the ice cream hoarding covered!!! Maybe I will have Liz start an ice cream shortage rumor on FB
Old 03-06-2022, 10:56 AM   #280

Watched a segment on the nat'l NBC news last night titled something like "the high cost of spring break - - if you can get a reservation". They talked to/about several families and their attitudes towards the current situations. NBC made the claim that personal savings were up some billions of dollars since covid. People couldn't go/do things so they saved more. Now restrictions are easing, they have larger saving accounts and are eager to put the frustrations of covid behind them. All of that extra money and pent up demand adds to the inflation, so they say.

One family interviewed expressed relief at finally being able to see family members long absent because of restrictions - - aunts, uncles, cousins. They were planning a mini-family reunion - over 30 family members, cost be damned. At Disney World in Florida. They were going to stay at a Disney hotel where NBC claimed the cheapest rooms were well over $400 per night.

At prices like that, their (possible) one week hotel bill could be more than the entire cost of my upcoming 8 week, 6K-7K-8K, multi-state trip clear across the country. And that takes the extra cost of fuel into account, which I figure will be an 500-600 bucks extra. That's one night in their fancy hotel.

My wife said that after seeing that story she is going to quit worrying about fuel prices. Me, too. Our plans are not changing. In fact, I just purchased tickets to the Grand Ole Opry last night.
Closed Thread

Tags
fuel, gas, travel