Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 07:58 AM   #1

Gas Prices Headed for a Spike

Just reading in an online newspaper I get (Epoch Times) that oil imports from Russia reached 22.9 million barrels in March. U.S. oil production has fallen 1.7 million barrels a day from a year ago. Investment in fossil fuels is declining as climate policies are going to reduce the supply of oil and natural gas. This will, of course, put us at the mercy of those supplying the oil again. What happens to the RV industry when gasoline reaches 4, 5 or 6 dollars a gallon? Even scarier than that is what will happen to food prices and prices of other necessities?
Brewhedd is offline   Reply
Old 06-18-2021, 08:30 AM   #2

Since June 1, we have clocked over 2700 miles pulling the TT. Our TV requires Premium gas, and the price was usually around $3.85/gal. $4.00/gal is not far off. The worst (and best) part is we have another 1100 miles to go before the end of the month.

3800/11*3.85=$1,330.00 or .35 /mile

2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
1970 Yellowstone Used as downpayment for first house
FrankG is offline   Reply
Old 06-18-2021, 08:43 AM   #3
Open Space Wanted

Come on man, where have you been the last 5 months?

Energy independence is gone. inflation has been climbing and those who can afford will pay the price to play.

You'll need sails, propellers and solar panels to get you to your next destination soon.

I had a fun journey when I went to pick up my new RV rafter the russian hack. Nothing like pulling into gas stations without gas.
RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply
Old 06-18-2021, 08:50 AM   #4
D W

If the rate of inflation continues to rise, the RV industry will surely take a hit, but the real hit will be on the consumer. RV manufacturers can close plants, scale back production and thin their work force. It's what they do to satisfy their bottom line. Here in Alaska, we have seen fuel prices increases near $1/gallon in the last 5 months, both gas and diesel. I've noticed that the prices increase about 4-5 cents every two weeks. At this point, it's only an inconvenience, but if it continues it will become a serious problem affecting all walks of life. It will be the 1970's all over again, and the "Misery Index" will return.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply
Old 06-18-2021, 09:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverComeOver View Post
Come on man, where have you been the last 5 months?

Energy independence is gone. inflation has been climbing and those who can afford will pay the price to play.

You'll need sails, propellers and solar panels to get you to your next destination soon.

I had a fun journey when I went to pick up my new RV rafter the russian hack. Nothing like pulling into gas stations without gas.

You radical. Better be careful or you will be censored then cancelled. Amazing what a minority of people have been able to accomplish.

Speaking of inflation, I was thinking about putting a small modular home (for those who may not know, modulars are built to code and are the same as site built homes) on a piece of property I own. Went to look at some Palm Harbor models yesterday. A couple I talked to there told me the same model they looked at a few months ago had gone from $160,000 to $200,000. The mobile home versions, not the modular mind you, are running from $105 to $111 per sq.ft. This price does include setup but not the foundation or a garage.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:29 AM   #6

Why is anyone surprised? We were promised this by the ruling class of politicians, who honestly don't see RVers as their kind of people. We are not pure enough for the environmentalists because we are in general not backpackers and wilderness tent campers, and we use too much gas. Our lifestyle is seen by the ruling class as equivalent to mobile home and trailer park dwellers.

The closing down of fracking on government lands - leases are not being renewed - has resulted in oil imports increasing dramatically, where we have to compete with everybody else for the supply that comes from unsavory countries.

Nothing is likely to change until politicians start getting voted out for these policies. Probably won't happen until gas/diesel hits $6/gallon.

just my thoughts, yours may differ
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply
Old 06-18-2021, 09:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
Just reading in an online newspaper I get (Epoch Times) that oil imports from Russia reached 22.9 million barrels in March. U.S. oil production has fallen 1.7 million barrels a day from a year ago. Investment in fossil fuels is declining as climate policies are going to reduce the supply of oil and natural gas. This will, of course, put us at the mercy of those supplying the oil again. What happens to the RV industry when gasoline reaches 4, 5 or 6 dollars a gallon? Even scarier than that is what will happen to food prices and prices of other necessities?
Gas has reached $4.00 & $5.00 a gallon in a few states and last I looked the RV industry has billions on back order. Seems like RV industry is doing just fine.

https://www.businessinsider.com/rv-t...ventory-2021-6
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30 [/B]
robo44 is offline   Reply
Old 06-18-2021, 09:38 AM   #8

As costs go up for everything we consume in our lives people will be faced with choices. Do I buy that new truck, trailer, motorhome. Or make do with my current one?

Do we take the long distance trip or stay closer to home?

Do we eat out every night or use the kitchen more?

With fuel costs more city dwellers will learn how to use the public transit rather than driving to and from work in their cars.

I've watched the ups and downs of fuel prices for over 60 years and we've all managed to weather the panics by making necessary adjustments.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply
Old 06-18-2021, 09:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
Why is anyone surprised? We were promised this by the ruling class of politicians, who honestly don't see RVers as their kind of people. We are not pure enough for the environmentalists because we are in general not backpackers and wilderness tent campers, and we use too much gas. Our lifestyle is seen by the ruling class as equivalent to mobile home and trailer park dwellers.

The closing down of fracking on government lands - leases are not being renewed - has resulted in oil imports increasing dramatically, where we have to compete with everybody else for the supply that comes from unsavory countries.

Nothing is likely to change until politicians start getting voted out for these policies. Probably won't happen until gas/diesel hits $6/gallon.

just my thoughts, yours may differ
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
I don't think most of the factors you mentioned play a huge role in fuel costs. The magic words are Supply, and Demand.

There's plenty of oil to be had, it's just that it has to be extracted at a cost that is supported by demand.

The shutdown of our country by Covid reduced demand, production in fields that have huge reserves was essentiallo shut down. Now we're seeing people on the move with increased demand. Crude prices are rising, gas prices rising, but domestic oil fields haven't caught up yet in their production.

It's likecwatching a giant Yo-Yo.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply
Old 06-18-2021, 10:18 AM   #10

Yesterday I gassed up for (Canadian) $175.00. Price was $1.459 per liter at the pump for mid-grade. At 3.79 liters per gallon, that's $5.52 Cdn a gallon. And to convert that's $4.43 USD a gallon! Glad we don't live here, but home isn't that much cheaper. Diesel was about 10 cents a liter cheaper if I remember.
glen1971 is offline   Reply
Old 06-18-2021, 10:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I don't think most of the factors you mentioned play a huge role in fuel costs. The magic words are Supply, and Demand.

There's plenty of oil to be had, it's just that it has to be extracted at a cost that is supported by demand.

The shutdown of our country by Covid reduced demand, production in fields that have huge reserves was essentiallo shut down. Now we're seeing people on the move with increased demand. Crude prices are rising, gas prices rising, but domestic oil fields haven't caught up yet in their production.

It's likecwatching a giant Yo-Yo.

You're right, except when prices are manipulated by a Cartel or shall we say unfriendly supplier. Keeping politics out of the discussion, he who has the supply makes the rules and wields influence. I think the profitability point for fracking is $45 a barrel.

High gas prices will undoubtedly kill a lot of the RV Industry.
Old 06-18-2021, 11:31 AM   #12

Quote:
You're right, except when prices are manipulated by a Cartel or shall we say unfriendly supplier. Keeping politics out of the discussion, he who has the supply makes the rules and wields influence. I think the profitability point for fracking is $45 a barrel.

High gas prices will undoubtedly kill a lot of the RV Industry.
Actually the US is a net petroleum exporter of petroleum as of 2020. Our biggest outside source of oil is Canada and they are also our largest destination for oil products.

The whole thing is very complicated. Like it or not, the change over to solar based transpiration is happening. Just about every week there is a story in the Business News about some automobile company projecting that a much larger percentage of their production will be battery powered in the next 10 years.

Like others have said, RVers will have to stay closer to home and in the future switch to smaller RVs that are more fuel efficient. Meanwhile, it is a safe bet that the producers and refiners will do all they can to find that sweet spot that maximizes profits.
PhilFromMaine is offline   Reply
Old 06-18-2021, 11:52 AM   #13

Gas has already spiked. On election day I was paying $2.50 for premium. Today it's $3.69.
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.6L 4.10
2020 KZ 130RBSE
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply
Old 06-18-2021, 02:16 PM   #14

Where are you buying gas? Today, I filled up with Diesel In NE Florida @$3.07 gal and gasoline at the same station as $2.78.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply
Old 06-18-2021, 02:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilFromMaine View Post
Actually the US is a net petroleum exporter of petroleum as of 2020. Our biggest outside source of oil is Canada and they are also our largest destination for oil products.

The whole thing is very complicated. Like it or not, the change over to solar based transpiration is happening. Just about every week there is a story in the Business News about some automobile company projecting that a much larger percentage of their production will be battery powered in the next 10 years.

Like others have said, RVers will have to stay closer to home and in the future switch to smaller RVs that are more fuel efficient. Meanwhile, it is a safe bet that the producers and refiners will do all they can to find that sweet spot that maximizes profits.
Do you think there will be a hybrid or electric MH in the not too distant future?
Old 06-18-2021, 03:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
Where are you buying gas? Today, I filled up with Diesel In NE Florida @$3.07 gal and gasoline at the same station as $2.78.
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess Alaska.
Old 06-18-2021, 03:32 PM   #17

California not unusual to see $4.00 for the past month -
Although you can find some gas a bit cheaper - ($3.80's is the average)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gas.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	257309  
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30 [/B]
robo44 is offline   Reply
Old 06-18-2021, 03:40 PM   #18
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Well for now gas is stable here and I have trips planned. When I'm home I drive my Volt so should gas get crazy I'm just fine. Have not bought gas for my volt in 11 months. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-38
aceinspp is offline   Reply
Old 06-18-2021, 03:48 PM   #19
"Curmudgeon"

Send a message via MSN to Trawlerphil Send a message via Yahoo to Trawlerphil
Cheer up! Electric truck are coming. Duke Energy charges $.11/kilowatt hour whether it rains, shines, during a hurricane or flood. Utilities don't have the ability to jack the prices up for every quirk in the weather or holiday. My Model Y Tesla is just under 500 horsepower and according to the "guvment" gets the equivalent of 125 miles per gallon. I charge it at home.

Within the next few years the Ford F-150 Lightning will join the Tesla Cybertruck and folks with 5ers and tag-alongs will have some options. You can also charge your tow vehicle at the Campground 50AMP pedestal.

Tesla's new tabless battery cells, which Tesla is calling 4860 cells, will give the companyís EV batteries five times more energy capacity, make them six times more powerful, and enable a 16 percent range increase for Teslaís vehicles. When the new batteries are pervasive, y'all can say goodbye to ICE (internal combustion engines) and gas station gougers.
2018 F-150 4X4 Max tow EcoBoost 3.5
2020 Tesla Model Y
Trawlerphil is offline   Reply
Old 06-18-2021, 03:56 PM   #20

Quote:
The Epoch Times is not a newspaper. It is published by the Chinese religious group Falun Gong to destabalise relations between the US and the Chinese governments through misinformation, as they are persecuted by the Chinese government. You would probably get more truthful information out of a fortune cookie. Do a little research before you start spreading Chinese propaganda.
tom2t is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
gas