Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2009, 07:32 PM   #1

Geico Insurance And Forest River

I read an artical somewhere about Geico Insurance and Forest River having something in common with each other. The artical said now that Geico offers RV insurance they advertises this new service using Forest River products. It has been mention that a Georgetown class "A" and a Sunseeker has been used in the promotion. If this is the case then maybe I can get a discount, I have Geico. Is there anyone that knows about this connection?
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:37 PM   #2

You may want to read this:

http://www.rvtravel.com/rvforum/view...a0256c5fa56358
Momma Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Tac View Post

How about that, thanks for the link.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:35 AM   #4
CLASS "A" Senior Member

We have GEICO insurance on all of our vehicles including the RV. There's no special discount but I will say one thing. I had the misfortune of being directed into a water faucet sticking out of the ground by an employee at one particular campground in Gettysburg. I contacted GEICO and they were terrific. Over $5,000 damage to the doors on my driver's side and everything went smooth from day one. The representative met me at the dealership and from there it was just a matter of time waiting for the new doors to arrive. Chesaco RV in Joppa MD did all the repairs and painting. You'd never know anything ever happened. I learned one thing, just because an employee works for a campground you can't rely on them to guide you safely. I get out and look everywhere now.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:58 PM   #5

Geico and Forest River are owner by the same corperation, Warren Buffett (BERKSHIRE HATHAWAY INC) .
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:20 AM   #6

I have Geico insurance on all the toys and when I was getting read to renew I check on insurance with the other companies that said they could save me upto $500 a year on insurance. We started with the 2008 Sunseeker and all wanted 3 times what Geico is charging me. They said the Geico did not have FULL REPLCEMENT on the RV, they are wrong, I rechecked and it is there for the first 7 years and then it is prorated after that. Back 5 years ago I lost an awning on a TT and they gave me no problem fixing that.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:58 AM   #7

When I changed over to Geico, my insurance dropped $1,100 bucks and I added extra coverage. I have full coverage on all of my vehicles and I hear they are great to deal with if you have a claim.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:00 PM   #8

I called for a quote and they could not beat Good Sam (GMAC) for the TT. I was also pissed because they would not provide the quote without completing the "full application" over the phone which included a lot of personal information...standing by for the 50 pounds of junk mail for the next five years. I told the rep that I wanted to 'opt out' but we'll see what happens.

2006 Avalanche 1500 w/6" lift
2007 Suburban 2500 4x4 w/4" lift
2008 Salem 26TBSS
P3 Controller
4 lil' ones & a Hottie for a wife
TravelSoftballDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:46 PM   #9

We have GEICO and they were great when we wrecked our Big Sky. Full replacement was part of our insurance. It was handled very well. Not as quickly as I would have liked but we weren't out any money.
PATTYRN5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:48 AM   #10

We Use Progressive for RV insurance

... and unfortunately we had a claim the very first week, when a storm wrecked our awning and we were still novices. An $1100 claim. Progressive was great and paid the claim quickly, only asking to see the trailer and take pics, since the policy was brand new (and he implied that otherwise he would not have to come out). He had a printer in his car and printed me a check on the spot.

They also offer replacement coverage. The policy for our $19000 2005 FR Wildwood runs about $570 per year. I'm happy with them, so you should compare their rates and coverage with GEICO.

By the way, I had to sue GEICO once when someone without insurance hit me and I was injured. GEICO stalled and stalled and stalled on paying valid medical claims until I had to hire a PI attorney, which should have been unnecessary. In my opinion, GEICO is great UNTIL you get hit by another driver with no insurance and there is no way for them to subrogate (pass along the costs) to another insurance company. When that happens they cast you into the Insurance Purgatory department.

Get the facts, not the gecko hype. Check out the GEICO complaints. They are not anecdotal, and it cost me an extra 35% in legal fees to find this out the hard way.
walk_the_walk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:13 PM   #11

I dropped Geico years ago. As a government employee I don't even get a discount and for those that don't understand what Geico stands for it's "Government Employee's Insurance Company" It used to only be open to government employees. They started raising my rates for no reason as I had had no claims and no accidents. I called them asked what the increases were for and they stated "the cost of doing business in your state has gone up" I told them "the cost of doing business with me has not, so drop my policy right now" I went to an insurance broker after that and basically found out I had been getting raped for insurance by Geico. I have since then always had much better insurance at much better prices.

When we bought our new Georgetown our broker shopped around for us and found Foremost Insurance who specializes in RV insurance. My premiums are very reasonable but I can't speak to their service as I have not needed it yet other than to have one of the front windshields replaced which went very smoothly.

When we bought our bass boat this last summer our broker found that Progressive was the cheapest boat insurance he could find. As bass boats are so fast they can be more expensive to insure than other boats but our yearly premiums for it is only $330.

Yep, I will never go back to Geico, Low rates my butt!
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 04:20 PM   #12

I have a question, does anyone know how insurance companies rate the area in which one lives in? The reason I ask is because I heard a rumour as to how they do it, but I don't want to stick my neck out and have someone cut my head off if it is wrong.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
I have a question, does anyone know how insurance companies rate the area in which one lives in? The reason I ask is because I heard a rumour as to how they do it, but I don't want to stick my neck out and have someone cut my head off if it is wrong.
Don't know exactly how they do it but I think it's a lot of mumbo jumbo voodoo as there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. Our friends who live in downtown Seattle store their rig at our place. We live 30 miles or so outside Seattle in a small rural town. The register the rig here at our place and their insurance is much lower, licensing is lower too.

On the other hand a co-worker of mine moved from an apartment in a really bad area of Tacoma to a rural town just down the road from us and into a neighborhood of 400K+ homes and his insurance went up! Needless to say he changed insurance companies.

Insurance of any type is just a big scam as far as I am concerned. There ought to be laws that if they are gonna take your money in premiums they can't deny legitimate claims or they will be penalized twice the amout of your claim!
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 01-24-2010, 09:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
Don't know exactly how they do it but I think it's a lot of mumbo jumbo voodoo as there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. Our friends who live in downtown Seattle store their rig at our place. We live 30 miles or so outside Seattle in a small rural town. The register the rig here at our place and their insurance is much lower, licensing is lower too.

On the other hand a co-worker of mine moved from an apartment in a really bad area of Tacoma to a rural town just down the road from us and into a neighborhood of 400K+ homes and his insurance went up! Needless to say he changed insurance companies.

Insurance of any type is just a big scam as far as I am concerned. There ought to be laws that if they are gonna take your money in premiums they can't deny legitimate claims or they will be penalized twice the amout of your claim!
NWJeeper, I agree the insurance companies stick it to ya. I changed to Geico a few years ago. I have 6 vehicles and my camper and carry full coverage on all. When I changed over to Geico my insurance dropped $1200.
There are 4 of use on the insurance, my wife and I and both are over 55, my daughter at 21 and son at 19 years of age. I pay nothing for my daughter, she rides free because she is a full time college student with a 3.5 gpa, this one thing Geico does for college students to help out.
Now I am going to stick my neck out and tell you what I heard on the way the insurance companies rate your area:
I have to use Maryland as an example: I live in Carroll County, If I drive to any other county or Baltimore City and have an accident and it's my fault, the accident is charged to the county or city in which I live in as far as stats go. This shows to the insurance companies how much driving is done from one place to another when it comes to accidents and where people come from. Now there are other factors as well, Baltimore City drivers pay more for insurance then I do because there area has a lot more traffic not only from the people that live there but the people that come into the city from other counties to work. The biggest part of your insurance is the medical coverage, people will take the insurance companies for everything they can get when there is an accident and some people can do a great job of faking an injury. There are many people out there that are driving with out insurance and we that have insurance pay for there the damages and injuies they cause. Like I said there are other factors that are used, like driving records, types of vehicles and other things that go along with area ratings and prices, and now I hear that a bad credit report will effect your insurance.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:12 AM   #15

Quote:
.....I hear that a bad credit report will effect your insurance.
Yes the insurance companies have been using credit scores for quite some time to determine premiums. Problem is that there are a lot of people that end up with trashed credit scores through no fault of their own and then they get hit with higher isurance rates because of it. Identity theft, and cases were one spouse trashes the others good credit score during a divorce are two examples and is why they are looking at passing a law here in Washington that the insurance companies cannot use your credit score to determine rates.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 01-27-2010, 02:33 AM   #16

In Idaho, I have my house, two autos and two adult drivers on my ALLSTATE policy, when I purchased my tt, my insurance actually dropped (yes, overall out of pocket down!) when I added the tt, due to the multi policy discounts.... Allstate is also much cheaper than any of their competitors locally, service is excellent
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:08 AM   #17

I just received my renewal from my homeowners insurance, I am not insured with Geico on this, my rates were increased by $300 because of a water leak in which I caught before any real damage was done. A small area of drywall got wet and a section of carpet. The only thing that was replaced was two pieces of tack strip and a small area of carpet padding. The total cost for the tack strip, padding and three days of drying out with floor fans (4 of them) and three dehumidifiers was under $2,000. The cost for the plumbing work is not covert under the insurance policy......I got the shaft. The next time something like this happens, items will be replaced. If they are going to raise my rates for this small amount of money then I will make sure damages will exceed salvage. I was told it was a good thing that I caught it in time, I saved myself some money.......that's a Lie.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:19 AM   #18

Quote:
I just received my renewal from my homeowners insurance, I am not insured with Geico on this, my rates were increased by $300 because of a water leak in which I caught before any real damage was done. A small area of drywall got wet and a section of carpet. The only thing that was replaced was two pieces of tack strip and a small area of carpet padding. The total cost for the tack strip, padding and three days of drying out with floor fans (4 of them) and three dehumidifiers was under $2,000. The cost for the plumbing work is not covert under the insurance policy......I got the shaft. The next time something like this happens, items will be replaced. If they are going to raise my rates for this small amount of money then I will make sure damages will exceed salvage. I was told it was a good thing that I caught it in time, I saved myself some money.......that's a Lie.
Well that's enough to piss off the Pope! Whata crock. See that's what I'm talking about. You've already paid enough in premiums over the years to pay for that $2000 10 times over and their going to raise your rates!!!! I'd be switching insurance just for the principal of the matter.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 01-27-2010, 11:54 AM   #19
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
It's really not a lie! Had you not kept the cost under $2000 it probably would have been a $500 increase. No matter who the insurer is, the main thing they don't like is paying out. Their primary function is to collect premiums!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:40 AM   #20

Where is the cut off for increased rates? Last night we were over a friends house, they just finished up having water damage due to a bad filter hose that broke loose from the kitchen. The damage was server, they have a split foyer style house or what is called a raised rancher and they were not home at the time of this mishap. The ceramic tile in the kitchen and the sub flooring had to be replaced, the hard wood floor in the living room along with the sub flooring had to be replaced and carpeting and padding in the hallway was replaced. Down stairs in the family room the drywall ceiling and two other walls and the insulation was removed plus the vinyl floor had to go. As far as furniture go's a 42" LCD TV was full of water and a 32" TV that was setting on the floor was wet as well, and the counter top in the kitchen was soak from the water pressure spraying under the sink. There cost for repairs and replacement was over $25,000 bucks and our friend said there insurance rate went up only $300 dollars, they are with State Farm. Now how can this be, Under $2000 for me and nothing was replaced and over $25,000 for them and had almost half of the house was replaced inside. We do not have the same insurance company.