Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2024, 04:42 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Posts: 30
Generator

My camper is a 30 amp system with that being said what is a good generator for when we are dry camping? Budget under $600 is pull like it to be halfway quiet also . Tia!
Mullet87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 07:55 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: In the snow belt
Posts: 399
Most cheap generators are not quiet. I will say the Harbor freight line is on the lower decibel range. I would not even consider Champion as they are really noisy.
Honda makes real quiet and efficient generators however they are not cheap. Maybe consider looking for a use one.
Odyknuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 08:12 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 1,105
I am happy with my Champion Dual Fuel 2500 watt inverter model.
I don't think it is noisy.

Mainly have it as emergency back up for power loss or if boondocking and weather is not cooperating with sunshine.

I believe it will run the air conditioning also since I have a soft start on it but not 100% on that. Need to test it again this summer to verify. I thought I did once before.

I only run it on propane, just don't want or need the gasoline around. You do not get full wattage with propane.
__________________
2022 Rockwood 2511S
2018 F150 3.5 Crew Cab 4x4
Max Tow Package 1855 Lbs Payload
Husky CenterLine WDH
GolfingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 08:44 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfingDave View Post
I am happy with my Champion Dual Fuel 2500 watt inverter model.
I don't think it is noisy.

Mainly have it as emergency back up for power loss or if boondocking and weather is not cooperating with sunshine.

I believe it will run the air conditioning also since I have a soft start on it but not 100% on that. Need to test it again this summer to verify. I thought I did once before.

I only run it on propane, just don't want or need the gasoline around. You do not get full wattage with propane.
Thanks for the info I致e been looking at a champion single fuel 4500 watt inverter as I don稚 need the propane option
Mullet87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 10:16 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2023
Posts: 204
30 amps is 3600 watts. You don't need any more watts then 3600 for your rig.

Look for Super Quiet in the advertisements, then compare the db sound levels.
Twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 10:34 AM   #6
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Goodyear, Arizona
Posts: 33,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullet87 View Post
My camper is a 30 amp system with that being said what is a good generator for when we are dry camping? Budget under $600 is pull like it to be halfway quiet also . Tia!
Depends on whether you want to run the a/c or not, which you didn't mention.
No a/c, then any 2000w inverter generator will be enough.
For a 13.5k a/c, then 2800w would be the minimum.
For a 15k a/c, 3500w would be the minimum.
Champion has long been the favorite affordable quality inverter generator, for RVers. They have been responsive to the needs of RVers, whereas Honda and Yamaha have not.
The only acceptable Harbor Freight inverter generator is the 3500w one. Their 2000w inverter generator is too noisy, compared to others.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 10:46 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Fairfield, CA
Posts: 555
My Predator 3500 will run my 15k AC (with a soft start) and have plenty of extra to charge the batteries at the same time. Those are now more than 600, but not near the Honda expense.
I did install a conversion so I can run gas or propane. I run propane, so lower than 3500W usable.
__________________
Marc in sunny California
2013 Crusader 260 RLD
2012 RAM 2500 Laramie CTD and 4:10
mmartin_tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 10:55 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullet87 View Post
My camper is a 30 amp system with that being said what is a good generator for when we are dry camping? Budget under $600 is pull like it to be halfway quiet also . Tia!
Contrary to what others have said, we use and find the Champion 200951 or the Champion 201153 to be quiet, meeting the NPS requirements of 53 dBA or less.

The Honda EU2200i is rated at 43 to 57 dBA but costs almost twice your budget.

We have and use the 200951 Champion Generators. Suitable to run the Air Conditioning or the Microwave, but not both at the same time.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 11:16 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
rracer5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Part Timing It Now
Posts: 3,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K4TAX View Post
Contrary to what others have said, we use and find the Champion 200951 or the Champion 201153 to be quiet, meeting the NPS requirements of 53 dBA or less.

The Honda EU2200i is rated at 43 to 57 dBA but costs almost twice your budget.

We have and use the 200951 Champion Generators. Suitable to run the Air Conditioning or the Microwave, but not both at the same time.

Bob

Here ya go! Keep in mind that the 5000 watt is rated at around 60 db and the 4550 open frame, although cheaper is rated at around 64 db. That may not seem like much but, it would be quite noticable.

I've had my Predator 3500 (purchased before they introduced the 5000) since 2018 & love it!
__________________
"PT Crew Members Since 9/2010"
2011 RAM 2500 HD 6.7L CTD Crew
2014 Prime Time Sanibel 3250
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 11:22 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Here ya go! Keep in mind that the 5000 watt is rated at around 60 db and the 4550 open frame, although cheaper is rated at around 64 db. That may not seem like much but, it would be quite noticable.

I've had my Predator 3500 (purchased before they introduced the 5000) since 2018 & love it!
We find the Champion 2000/2500-watt inverter adequate to fulfill all of our power needs. We do have to be mindful of how many things can be used at the same time. The numbers "2000" are the continuous load for gas, and "2500" is the overhead power for starting appliances. Do note that generators, dual fuel models, will be rated for less watts when run on LP.

I see no reason to haul around a 100 lb generator when a 50 lb generator will do the job for less money and make less noise. Typically, open-frame generators are noisy by the nature of the design.

Bob

"
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 11:41 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: In the snow belt
Posts: 399
I suppose I need to revise my statement on Champion generators as mine is an open frame non inverter style and is quite noisy.
Odyknuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 11:43 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyknuck View Post
I suppose I need to revise my statement on Champion generators as mine is an open frame non inverter style and is quite noisy.
Yep, we had one of those too. Always ran full speed regardless of the load and clattered like a wedding car dragging tin cans.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 01:31 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 124
We have a Champion 4500 inverter, single fuel generator. It is not loud. It can easily power our trailer. The only down side to it is that it is heavy, just over 100 pounds. I selected it because it not only can power our trailer, but it also has enough power for our house to run the essentials, gas furnace, fridge, chest freezer, lights, etc...
__________________
2022 Surveyor Legend 19BHLE
2013 F-150 XL Supercab 3.7l V6
IPcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 01:32 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 9,213
We have a 3500 dual fuel inverter/generator for the house and it's not noisy at all. I can't recommend a specific generator because prices and availability change frequency.

You need to look for one that meets the Nationa Park standard of 53 db or lower.
We like the dual fuel because we don't like to haul gas, but the power on propane is less than on gas.
The advantage of an inverter/generator is that it's 'on demand' so that it doesn't run at full speed all the time. It also gives you a 'cleaner' power for your electronics.
__________________
2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
Reverse_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 01:38 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Depends on whether you want to run the a/c or not, which you didn't mention.
No a/c, then any 2000w inverter generator will be enough.
For a 13.5k a/c, then 2800w would be the minimum.
For a 15k a/c, 3500w would be the minimum.
Champion has long been the favorite affordable quality inverter generator, for RVers. They have been responsive to the needs of RVers, whereas Honda and Yamaha have not.
The only acceptable Harbor Freight inverter generator is the 3500w one. Their 2000w inverter generator is too noisy, compared to others.
Sorry should have specified i have a 15k I wanna be able to run .
Mullet87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 01:48 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullet87 View Post
Sorry should have specified i have a 15a/c I wanna be able to run .
Then you will most likely need a 3500-watt generator.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 01:57 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2024
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K4TAX View Post
Then you will most likely need a 3500-watt generator.

Bob
I think I知 going to over kill and get a 4500 just so I know I値l have plenty
Mullet87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 02:49 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta
Posts: 2,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullet87 View Post
I think I知 going to over kill and get a 4500 just so I know I値l have plenty
Or you could get 2 Champion 2000 watt with parallel kit.
That's what I use for my 15k AC, works fine.
__________________

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 03:25 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullet87 View Post
I think I知 going to over kill and get a 4500 just so I know I値l have plenty
Be sure and check with your chiropractor before you decide.

I agree with others, two 2500/2000 watt units and the link kit would be nice and economical.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 03:35 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 17,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K4TAX View Post
Be sure and check with your chiropractor before you decide.

I agree with others, two 2500/2000 watt units and the link kit would be nice and economical.

Bob
Nice, economical, and individual Champion 2500W units only weigh 39# each.

My two units cost about the same as the single 3500w champion inverter generator I purchased a few years ago and is now relegated to backup power for my house.
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
generator

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:56 AM.