Old 02-18-2009, 09:13 PM   #21

I would have cranked it up and put it to work if it wasn't for not having oil at home. I will stop at the store and pick up some good 10/30 oil the next day or so. The model I got is the C46540 4000w peak and 35000w running. The TSC store I got it from was very helpful and told me to bring it back if there were any problems at all. Anyway, I'll let everyone know how it goes once I try it.
2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
* 4" MBRP exhaust
* AFE stage2 air intake kit
* Hypertech III, set on stage1
* back-up camera
* Putnam XDR class V hitch receiver
* Airlift air bags
2004 EZGO custom electric golf cart
rafcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:24 AM   #22

I had a conversation with some one yesterday about generators and it was suggested that if you are going to need a 3 kw, the best thing to do is buy two 1,500 and hook them up in parallel. By buying two there are easier to handle and if you don't need all that power then you can just use one. I don't know what model it is but Honda was mentioned because they are quit.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:40 AM   #23
Site Team

Yes Honda's are quiet.
But not all of us have a money tree in the back yard.
2 hondas in parallel cost ~ $2000+
One Champion 3kw can be under $300.
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:26 PM   #24

I don't know prices on them, I was talking to the Electrician at work as to what was what with generators. The Electrician has a class motor home he bought at auction last year, he just started camping.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:22 PM   #25

I really think that if someone is planning on using a generator for camping regularly in crowded places, then a quiet generator or generator's should be seriously taken into consideration. In my case, I could not justify it. If I had plenty of money laying around, I would buy not only a 3000w Honda, but a 1000w one as well. The other thing that I'm wondering about the two separate generators, which I've read about before, even if they were quiet ones, it has to be a little louder than just a single one running, so then it really makes a generator like the Champion not be so bad noise wise.
* 4" MBRP exhaust
* back-up camera
* Airlift air bags
Old 02-19-2009, 04:17 PM   #26

Yeah...I only use the Champ while at kids' sporting events in the parking lot. The tandem Honda's are still a bit quieter than one Champ, but what you say is the truth; if you have the extra $$$ and/or you're gonna be in a lot of State Parks (for example), you will want the Honda's. My buddy has the 3000w KIPOR and, although quieter than the Champ, it's still kinda heavy and runs about $1400.00.

I borrowed the KIPOR while doing my research and found it would start and run the AC, but it would shut TV and misc items when AC started. Once AC was running, no problem running other items. If items like AC, Microwave, and food prep are gonna be on/off, you'll need the full 4000w.

2006 Avalanche 1500 w/6" lift
2007 Suburban 2500 4x4 w/4" lift
2008 Salem 26TBSS
P3 Controller
4 lil' ones & a Hottie for a wife
TravelSoftballDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:19 AM   #27

I have a Dometic 15K AC and I use a Craftsman model 5600. It actually peaks at 5600 watts, but has a continuous 3500 watt rating. It will run my AC, microwave at the same time / no problems. In higher elevations it runs rich and has a harder time and will only run the AC. A little noisy, but when sitting about 30' away, its not an issue.
opcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:00 AM   #28

I have used my Champion about 4 times now. It really works great, runs the AC and other components with no problem. It is really not that loud, but it does not compare with Honda or Yamaha as far as that goes. Anyway, this was a great buy IMO, and I really like it.
* 4" MBRP exhaust
* back-up camera
* Airlift air bags
Old 03-09-2009, 04:06 PM   #29
Site Team

My son recently bought a 3kw champion from the internet.
It arrived with a broken spark plug wire.
He has called them and e-mailed them and they have sent him
2 different "spark generators" including the spark plug wire but
both do not fit.
He has called and given them the numbers off his unit and the numbers
off his magneto and they still cannot seem to send him the correct part.
I know they are a cheap generator but if you ever need parts------ good luck!!!
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:33 PM   #30

If money isn't an issue and you want a quite set up. I saw a camper with 2 honda 2000 hooked together AND they were drawing fuel from a 6 gallon marine gas tank sitting on the ground. Never seen that before. The man said when he needs the ac he fires both up, when watching tv he shuts 1 off. Thats the way to go.
I have a honda 3000, works great runs the camper just fine. We dry camp 80% of the time and didn't want to bother others. The 3000 in pretty heavy. Takes 2 people to set it in the back of the truck. If I had it to do over I'd go with the 2000 set up with the gas tank.
2005 F 250 Diesel
1 Great Wife
4 Toy Fox Terriers
camperjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:46 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperjunkie View Post
If money isn't an issue and you want a quite set up. I saw a camper with 2 honda 2000 hooked together AND they were drawing fuel from a 6 gallon marine gas tank sitting on the ground. Never seen that before. The man said when he needs the ac he fires both up, when watching tv he shuts 1 off. Thats the way to go.
I have a honda 3000, works great runs the camper just fine. We dry camp 80% of the time and didn't want to bother others. The 3000 in pretty heavy. Takes 2 people to set it in the back of the truck. If I had it to do over I'd go with the 2000 set up with the gas tank.
The 2 Honda 2000s seem to be about the best setup.....except that was way over our budget. The 3000 would have worked except for being heavy....130 lbs. or so, I think. We opted for the Yamaha EF2400is. It was about 1/2 the price of 2 Honda 2000s with the parallel kit. It runs the AC just fine. It is relatively quiet. It is light enough for me to lift into the truck at about 80 lbs.....but that is about the limit of my lifting now adays.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote