Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2020, 01:21 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by samTummo View Post
What I don’t understand is, if I have a 30A gen and a 30A TT, shouldn’t I be able to run everything?

Samtummo
There is more to it than surge and loss for elevation.
Generators have a power factor rating generally PF-1. Power factor 1 is resistive loads. Like a resistance heater, ones with a glowing coil or strip. Then you have inductive loads which are things like motors. The power factor is higher on inductive loads so the generator wouldn’t be able to run those loads with equal wattage of resistive loads.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 03:06 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timtation1 View Post
On my 1968 boat my genny is a 6.5 KVA Kohler. About 3000 hours and few bad habits. Save a few bucks on oil analysis, get some blotter paper draw grid lines for 3 inch squares label 0, 10,... at the appropriate hour add a drop of oil from the dipstick to the center of the square. The oil will wick and at some point a dark spot will form at the center. This is from oxidation products. This is "dirt" and is captured by the detergents which generally are the first to fail. So long as the spot carries color Uniformly the oil is good. The detergents are first to fall.
What about the TBN and wear metals?
Old 11-23-2020, 11:00 PM   #23

when I am off grid, propane on for water heater and fridge, I may run generator for microwave, charge batteries and run ac, with firman propane generator, that’s all you need
Daniel.mullins4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:41 PM   #24

The only issue with Firmen generators is the noise level. If you are camping next to someone else they will not like you no more. 😆
chrishill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:48 PM   #25

Fuzzy

A way to reduce startup load for RV AC units is to add a hard start capacitor. That can make a smaller generator useable. There are other threads which cover this and the reduced startup spike.
mlawler506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:26 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishill View Post
The only issue with Firmen generators is the noise level. If you are camping next to someone else they will not like you no more. [emoji38]
Are you referring to their inverter generators or their open frame generators?
Their inverter generator has a noise level rating around 58db, which is pretty quiet.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:51 PM   #27

Just be aware that the db number is pretty useless if you don’t know the distance that the reading was taken at. I came to the conclusion that the Firman was about 8 db louder than the equivalent Honda. That’s somewhere around 8 times louder. Since I need to occasionally use a generator in a forest service or state park campground, I decided that the Firman was too loud.

Try to find reviews that compare generator sound by direct measurement. They will give you a better idea of the real difference.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:23 PM   #28

I'd buy two of these first
https://www.costco.com/a-ipower-powe...100653776.html
CCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 02:36 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
Short answer: No.

Shore power has essentially an infinite momentary (starting) reserve. Momentary surges to much higher amperage...pulled from, say, a 200 amp panel...won't trip the 30 AMP breaker.

So, while you're pulling high, steady-state loads- e.g. the resistive heat in your hot water tank, perhaps resistive heat for your 2-way fridge (you don't know if it's running or not), and a running microwave pulling nearly 800 watts, your genny won't have the RESEARVE power to light up the AC...which is a huge power hog to get started. Most nominal 2KW gennys can't even start an AC unit...with no other loads. That's what your AC needs...2KW++ to start. Your genny only delivers RATED watts/amps for a few seconds to start things, then it's steady state delivery is less...usually 200 to 500 watts less than rated power. So if you are already sucking 1500 watts from your genny for other stuff, there just isn't enough left over to launch your AC.

Unlike shore power, your genny, at 3500 watts surge, doesn't quite make 30 amps, and it only makes 25 amps continuous at it's rated 3000 watts. It may have a 30 amp outlet on it, but it NEVER quite delivers 30 amps. While your household shore power socket rated for 30 amps can momentarily deliver FAR more, and can deliver 30 amps ALL DAY.

Run the numbers: https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/ele...alculator.html

I confess that I have an old (7 seasons) 2200 watt peak genny, and I don't run AC in CO. But when I am off the grid, I don't even run the fridge on 120 volts (auto) when the genny is running. I "force" it to run on "gas." This prevents the fridge from unexpectedly loading the circuit while I'm trying to run the micro...a guaranteed overload requiring a shut-down-restart on my genny. I wouldn't think of making hot water with the electric element while on generator. That's what the propane is for.

This is a regular rant that some may have seen...forgive me.
Propane is best for heat. A typical 5 gallon tank of propane contains about 4.5 gallons of fuel. A gallon of propane contains 45,000 BTU of energy. Put two of these on the tongue of your rig, and that comes out to 405,000 BTU.
Some quick math - https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/...U_to_Watt.html - shows that your two puny tanks of propane contain 119 kilowatt hours of energy.
Convert that into amp hours at 12 volts, it's 10,000 AMP HOURS!! If you have god's own battery bank, say 4 x 6 volt golf cart batteries, or a couple of Battleborns, you might have about 230 USABLE AMP HOURS in your batteries. What's that got to do with genny power? Multiply X 10 the AH, and your genny can only deliver 25 to 30 amps per hour until the fuel runs out as it struggles to perform the "heating" duties best left to propane.

The electric heating element in your hot water heater will a) save you money if you are sucking the juice from a "free" (unmetered) campground pedestal, AND; b) it will also heat the water more quickly if combined with propane. But making electricity with a genny to then turn around and make heat is the wrong way to go about it. Just ask anyone who heats a home with resistive electric baseboard heat. When you're boondocking, make heat with propane, and run motors and appliances and lights with your genny...and leave a bunch of power untapped so you can top off your battery bank while the genny's running.

End of rant.
Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:24 AM   #30

How was the noise level on the Firman?
GMC Sierra 1500
Bill - SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 03:26 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill - SC View Post
How was the noise level on the Firman?
Who are you asking? It helps if you quote the member, in your post.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 11-28-2020, 12:22 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergy View Post
Just be aware that the db number is pretty useless if you don’t know the distance that the reading was taken at. I came to the conclusion that the Firman was about 8 db louder than the equivalent Honda. That’s somewhere around 8 times louder. Since I need to occasionally use a generator in a forest service or state park campground, I decided that the Firman was too loud.

Try to find reviews that compare generator sound by direct measurement. They will give you a better idea of the real difference.
It also makes a difference on the load applied to the generator and equal size rating. I think the Firman is a little louder than the Honda but certainly not 8 times. I have both.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:33 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werk View Post
Firman 2900w/3200w dual fuel inverter generator on sale at Costco online only. Regular price $849.99 instant savings $200.00 so final cost $649.99 which is a pretty good price compared to other dealers. Checking the reviews it seems to be a pretty good generator with a 58db rating according to the Lowes website. Large enough to run your A/C which is nice. Weighs just over 100lbs.
I sW THESE FOR SALE IN 2019 FOR $499. THAT said, Toilet paper was easily available as were firearms and ammo. CORONA VIRUS has shifted the supply /demand of economics, so This looks like a good deal to me...plus you have Costco and Firman standing behind it.
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 10:40 AM   #34

Beachbourban

Your right about Costco, I could take it back in 6 months and they would take it back. Just got it yesterday and I am really pleased so far. Everything came with it, charger, battery, propane hose and regulator and tool kit. I really like the idea I can use it for back up power for the house in the winter and use propane and in the summer use gas for RVing since you gain about 300w on gas over propane. Living in rural Oregon we do have power outages.

Compare with similar items
Product description

The FIRMAN WH02942 Inverter generator runs on either gas or liquid propane (LP) and can top out at 3200 starting watts and 2900 running watts. Power is supplied by our Max Pro Series 171cc FIRMAN engine which runs cool and efficient. Our Whisper Series muffler keeps the WH02942 running quiet –below the standards set by the National Parks Service, and our spark arrester has been approved by the USDA Forest Service. The 1.8-gallon fuel capacity provides 9 hours of run time. Starting is as simple as the push of the button with the reliability of our first-pull recoil system. For the ultimate in portability the WH02942 has a built-in handle and wheel kit. Major touch points are all front and center for easy starting and use - power, choke, eco-mode and all receptacles are conveniently located for easy access. The durable, lightweight, powerful inverter is built for years of use. Just add gas or liquid propane (LP)! Everything you need comes standard in the box including: oil, funnel, owner’s manual, trickle charger, battery charger cable, and spark plug wrench. Finally, we back what we build with our legendary limited lifetime warranty. PROPANE TANK NOT INCLUDED Features: 171 cc dual fuel engine with low oil shut off and cast iron sleeve 1.8 gallon tank provides 9 hours of runtime. Propane tank not included RV ready multi feature control panel with covered outlets 5.5” Heavy Duty Never-Flat wheels and High Leverage U-shape Folding Handle Largest tank in industry with extended run-time (less re-fueling). Quiet muffler (Whisper Series) with USDA FS certified spark arrester. 3 in 1 Data-Minder monitors running hours, voltage and frequency in conjunction. Bonus accessories including engine oil, oil funnel, tool kit, battery float charger, LPG regulator/hose and battery charge cable. Included battery for your convenience. Limited lifetime warranty
Werk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 11:14 PM   #35

Hi all I’m thinking of getting a geo pro 19 fbs I’m wondering how large a generator would be appropriate I’d like to support the ac and microwave would 3 kw be enough?
Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 02:38 PM   #36

Costco Firman generator

Took a photo of the current version which is a trifuel not sure what they are. Here's a photo. My 66 year old self thinks a 100 lbs isn't too bad bit would need a ramp to get it into my Ram 3500, if I took it out in the first place. My main question is the claim of 7500 watts. What does that mean in terms of the electical needs of an RV. We have a 37' 32 BHS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201212_113528503.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	515.1 KB
ID:	244476  
panzerdivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 02:56 PM   #37
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerdivision View Post
Took a photo of the current version which is a trifuel not sure what they are. Here's a photo. My 66 year old self thinks a 100 lbs isn't too bad bit would need a ramp to get it into my Ram 3500, if I took it out in the first place. My main question is the claim of 7500 watts. What does that mean in terms of the electical needs of an RV. We have a 37' 32 BHS.
Your photo is too blurred to see the model number but that looks like a contractor style generator and not an inverter generator.

No good for campgrounds no matter what the wattage. If you plan to camp on private land or far away from others then maybe OK. DB level may be too loud for National Parks and such.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 03:03 PM   #38

Thanks and it is also 200+ lbs according to the manufacturer specs and 72 db. So never mind.
panzerdivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 03:03 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Open frame contractor-style generator that is NOT appropriate for campground usage.
BUT it's fine for Boondocking or home backup power.
If you want something for campground usage, make sure it's a true inverter generator. Not a hybrid style or open frame generator.
Old 12-12-2020, 03:04 PM   #40
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks and it is also 200+ lbs according to the manufacturer specs and 72 db. So never mind.
Yep, 72db definitely exceeds National Parks max.

Tags
generator