Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2017, 07:52 PM   #1

Generator questions

We recently purchased a Forest River Vengeance 23B toy hauler. In fact, we have not even picked it up yet as we are having the dealership reroute the black water drain so it is easier for me to access. As it was, you have to reach under and around a skirt to get to it. Since I have neck and back problems I did not want to get on the ground and under the trailer to access it. The one we purchased does not have a generator so I was wondering what affordable units I should consider. I want to be able to run my guitar amp and my wife's pyrography pens.
mcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:02 PM   #2

You've got a lot of choices out there. You can spend a little or spend a lot. Personally, the Honda eu2000i companion is the way to go. For us anyway. It's a 2K, which would do what you want easily. It has the 30A RV receptacle built in. It can also be run parallel with another Honda 2000i if you want to run your AC and other things. But I have seen the 13.5 AC units run off of one 2K generator, but you can't run anything else. Also, the Honda is the quietest of all the generators. Some come within a decibel or two, but in the decibel sound world, that's a lot. With all that being said, there are cheaper alternatives, such as the Champions. They are a tad bit louder, but a lot cheaper. Close to half the price of the Hondas. Excellent service from what I understand and very reliable, and can be had with an electric start. Just a little on the heavier side I believe. For me, the Honda weighs a little over 40 lbs. and is easy to pull start, and that means a lot when you're old and beat up, and there's a Honda dealer around every corner in the country. Again, you have a lot of choices out there. Good luck!

P.S. You Tube is your friend! Lots of videos and lots of comparisons!
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:34 PM   #3

We wanted a generator that would run our AC... went with a Champion Dual Fuel generator. I think it's the best bang for the buck these days. Worth a look! JMHO
Old 03-21-2017, 08:17 AM   #4

I have a Champion 3100, runs my 15K AC and, tv and a couple lights. Small, easy to move around and quiet.

No camper, currently
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:33 AM   #5

Are you meaning that you will be off-grid away from any plug-in electricity when you want to use these things?

if so, you might also consider Solar - which could maintain the batteries and have enough juice for those two items, as well. A 200w dual panel system can be had for about $300... you can keep the panels mobile, in order to place them in the best place for sun, or easily attach them to the roof... it looks like you already have a 1,000w inverter and dual batteries(probably for a residential fridge)...
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:38 AM   #6

In all the tests I have seen, the Honda actually runs at its rated output, whereas the Champions did not. Same with the decibels... Honda is very specific and accurate with their numbers. It seems the other brands tend to play with numbers in order to compete.

I have heard good things about the Champions; not trying to knock them... but there are differences.

So there are two main decisions you have to make:
Brand?
Size?

Me? I prefer (and have) the EU2000i Companion... and will acquire a second EU2000i soon. I decided this route because they are lightweight (easy to carry) yet can be paralleled together for 4000 watts, which is 1000 watts more than the EU3000i models for the same cost. You can also run just one of them if that is all you need.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:41 AM   #7

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. there are many threads about generators on the site worth reading before you buy one or two
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:28 AM   #8

Do your research and look honestly at all the comparisons.

We run with a large group of RVers. We boondock about 80℅ of the time and use our inverter generators a lot.

Those of us with Honda's seem to never have problems (knock on wood), and we can run extended nurse tanks with no mods (fuel pump). The Hondas in our group run from several years old to mine, that are 11 years old.

Those that buy champions are tickled pink for a few seasons, crowing about the good price, until they develop the Champion 'cough' and we end up working on their carbs. Several of them even carry spare carbs so they can switch them out. And they can't run nurse tanks unless they do the complicated mod or use gravity feed.

Those that buy the cheapest no-name gens seem to have new generators every season.

Google the good and the bad and make your own choice. If you use generators a lot and depend on them, a little more cash up front will save you money in the long run. If you only use them occasionally, cheaper up front might be the way to go.

Good luck!!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:56 PM   #9
Scoundrel

I recently bought a Honda EU2000i inverter generator after receiving a lot of helpful advice from the forums. Here's the link: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...on-127424.html

Rich J.
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator