Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2015, 10:52 AM   #1

Getting concerned about mechanincal issues

I am in the market for a Class A MH for full timing and absolutely love the 378TS. I have been tossing around other MH's and the questions always nag me like new vs used, gas vs diesel.

Then I saw this post by Trackmanbfm and many others with the same thoughts. Now there's the question whether or not I'm on the right track. My problem is I'm not very mechanically inclined. It's starting to become a bit concerning. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Quote:
Competition has taken over from quality. Sorry to hear of your bad experience but if you are going to stay in the RV world you will have to expect and adapt to piss poor manufacturing and KEEP TOOLS AND PARTS ON HAND.
mixologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:19 AM   #2
Wait till next year...

The thing is your taking your home on the road. What do you have for tools at home ? Carry them with you on the road. Do you have extra fuses plumbing parts at home then carry some in the motorhome. There are extended warranties availible that'll get you a service man to your site or service centers that you can drive to-try that with your house. Its no different than calling a plumber,electrician or bring your car in for service. Warranty service and the area your traveling thru may limit some of the service availible but if your full timing just move to another area. And most importantly if you run into a problem bring it to this forum someone will help you out.
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:53 AM   #3

Anyone contemplating owning any RV needs to realize ownership is way more than filling the gas tank, checking the oil, and steering/pulling it down the road. You don't need the abilities of a line mechanic, but you do need to be fairly handy with basic hand tools and perhaps a multimeter unless you resolve to be at the mercy of a mobile tech for most anything that pops up. That approach gets expensive and inconvenient quickly.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:47 PM   #4
Site Team

Agree with dieselguy.
Remember you're driving a house on wheels.
So not only could there be automotive system issues but house system issues as well.
Either someone needs to be somewhat handy or be willing to pay someone to do it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:00 PM   #5

As a paramedic by trade and a bartender on the side I have known so many people from every walk of life that I was somewhat spoiled. I never had to fix thing as I always had someone to help. Now your comments make me question what I am doing. But thank you all for info.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixologist View Post
As a paramedic by trade and a bartender on the side I have known so many people from every walk of life that I was somewhat spoiled. I never had to fix thing as I always had someone to help. Now your comments make me question what I am doing. But thank you all for info.
By being the same person as you are when being a paramedic and bartender you will meet people who can and are willing to help you when you are in your rv. There are good people out there.
Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:18 PM   #7

Thank you Carrier. That was something I always had in mind but am second guessing myself when I read comments about problematic motorhomes being the norm.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:41 PM   #8

Carrier's take on RV'ers is not totally accurate. There are several RV'ers out there that can give you good assistance and there are several out there that will dig you into a deeper hole ... it's up to you to judge your good Samaritan's true abilities. I would not want to be an RV'er who depends on having to find the good ones simply because he is over his head because a torx driver, teflon pipe tape, or hand drill is just too overwhelming. You will have issues both large and small ... I guarantee it. That's part of owning an RV. Might I suggest you rent a unit for a jaunt or two before you take ownership of one ... you'll glean experience on the renters dime should something come up.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 05:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Anyone contemplating owning any RV needs to realize ownership is way more than filling the gas tank, checking the oil, and steering/pulling it down the road. You don't need the abilities of a line mechanic, but you do need to be fairly handy with basic hand tools and perhaps a multimeter unless you resolve to be at the mercy of a mobile tech for most anything that pops up. That approach gets expensive and inconvenient quickly.
X2
ottawapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:26 PM   #10

Get a GOOD road side assistance program! Best friend you will ever have. Good luck.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:44 PM   #11

Just being a part of this forum puts you on the right track. We're all here for each other and we share problems, solutions and a seemingly endless list of opinions. I'll put this way of life in a different perspective by saying, "Your motorhome has to become your hobby!" If it isn't, there's a good chance you will grow unhappy and frustrated. On the other hand, you've go a lot of help here and at FR. Take advantage of it and you'll feel at home in the family.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:18 PM   #12

Thank you again for the comments. I feel a bit better than when I posted this thread which was right after reading about five or six comments about shoddy workmanship being the norm in the MH industries. When I do buy, a roadside assistance program will be one of my first purchases. I suppose I will get through it all.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:39 PM   #13
Wait till next year...

Good luck mixologist. The 378ts is a gorgeous unit. I can understand how it would turn your head. However remember dieselguys advice...try it before you buy it. The systems in each motorhome can be complex and renting a MH will give you a taste of what your in for. Would hate to see your 378ts on a dealers lot a year from now. So... hope to see you on the road a happy camper
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote