Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2021, 07:21 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
I have to disagree. Many Loves, Pilot etc force gas burning RVers to get fuel with the cars.
Some have a separate RV fuel pump, some don't.
Some have plenty of room to pull through and some don't.
Thatís a good point KyDan.
I guess you never really can be sure what youíre getting into until you get there lol 😆.
After youíve had to back out of a crowded gas station a few times (like I have) you get better at judging which ones youíre able to navigate through and which ones to avoid.
Swaggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 07:30 AM   #42
MCTroy

We tie with a gas loving Ram 6.4 2500. It handles our 35 ft TT great so we stop about every 3 hours for fuel. Like others we try for an outside lane and use Pilot and Loves often. I scout exits and have even blocked traffic as needed. One thing we no longer worry about is other cars having to wait. We try not to block a lane or section if the station but if we do oh well. The cars can go to any gas station. We can't. And it is VERY rare that anyone gets upset. Most folks will move out of our way if needed. One young lady in a small car pulled into our exit lane. She stopped and just sat in the middle if the lane as the Ram came closer. Maybe she was looking for reverse?? She finally figured out we were not able to get around her and moved. Other nearby cars were smiling watching the stare down from our rig to her compact, complete with her music blaring... glad we could entertain. Ha!
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 07:41 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

I look for stations where the gas filling lanes are parallel to the road rather than perpendicular.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 08:32 AM   #44

I made a PDF from the Flying J web site that shows only the locations that have dedicated RV lanes. We printed out a copy and keep it handy when travelling.Flying J RV Locations.pdf
DSurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 09:10 AM   #45

My NUMBER ONE RULE is..."never pull in anywhere that you cannot see how to pull out of". Sometimes easier said than done.
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 08:40 AM   #46

A rule I've adapted from my boating days is half full is half empty. So when the gauge shows a half tank I start looking for an exit with multiple fuel providers, Shell, BP, Exxon, etc. Even though I drive a diesel motorhome I never use Pilot, J's, or any of the major truck stop stations. Prices for diesel are way jacked up for the common folks, the major motor carriers all have a contracted price of what they pay which is considerably less than the posted price. Yes, RV'ers can get a TSD fuel card where they are charged a reduced amount per gallon, at commercial truck fuel islands only, and they directly deduct the cost from your checking account. At one time I was going to sign up for one of these cards until I saw the discounts fall from initially $.50-.80 per gallon to around $.20 per gal.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 09:01 AM   #47

Just a short note here:
I have noticed that the gas stations that list Diesel fuel available usually are the most accessible for RVís in general no matter what type of fuel is used.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 03:44 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagerjjm View Post
Just a short note here:
I have noticed that the gas stations that list Diesel fuel available usually are the most accessible for RVís in general no matter what type of fuel is used.
That's a good point, thanks.

I'm planning to stop by the rest stops on the highway, this way it's easier to get back onto the highway. And looking at Google maps images they seem ok.
ciditad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 08:40 PM   #49
New here, old elsewhere

Yet another opinion / technique. I travel rural back roads mainly. When I approach 1/4 tank (gasser 10mpg) I use Gas Buddy to find stations on my route. I slow way down when in sight and decide if I can swing it or not. I have in desperation pulled into the big truck section and gotten some smirks but never had any issues getting fuel there. Some of these stations are hard for a long bed truck to maneuver in the regular car lanes!
Old 07-12-2021, 09:55 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwbfl View Post
Yet another opinion / technique. I travel rural back roads mainly. When I approach 1/4 tank (gasser 10mpg) I use Gas Buddy to find stations on my route. I slow way down when in sight and decide if I can swing it or not. I have in desperation pulled into the big truck section and gotten some smirks but never had any issues getting fuel there. Some of these stations are hard for a long bed truck to maneuver in the regular car lanes!

I use the ď big truck ď lanes even when not towing, not an option for those looking for gas
moose074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 10:23 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
..... I don't pull in close to the pumps. I stay about 5 or 6 feet away from the pumps, that way I don't have as much concern about tail swing as I would if I pulled close to the pumps. It also helps if you find that you need to back up to get out.
Keeping several feet away helped me tremendously in a Class A to ensure my Jeep (toad) cleared the pumps too. With my current 27' TT several feet of space often allows me to pull out and away instead of having to wait for the vehicle in front to finish filling.

The other thing is taking a moment to plan an exit maneuver before you actually attempt it.

Personally, I don't remember a single gas station that I gave up on although I sure have had some a bit too tight for comfort.
CustomBuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 12:19 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciditad View Post
That's a good point, thanks.

I'm planning to stop by the rest stops on the highway, this way it's easier to get back onto the highway. And looking at Google maps images they seem ok.
Don't plan on that when you get out West. Our rest areas are just that, a bathroom, maybe some snacks and maps, and space to shut down and rest. No fuel in most states. They are off the outside of the traffic lanes, not in the median like back East. And watch for snakes in the rural areas.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 02:38 AM   #53
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Sifter View Post
Don't plan on that when you get out West. Our rest areas are just that, a bathroom, maybe some snacks and maps, and space to shut down and rest. No fuel in most states. They are off the outside of the traffic lanes, not in the median like back East. And watch for snakes in the rural areas.
Yep!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 06:12 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilFromMaine View Post
If you are just starting out RVing with a TT and taking a planned route, it might be a good idea to plan out your gas stops by using satellite view in Google maps. In any event, plan out your approach and exit before entering a smaller station.

Don't be embarrassed to have your partner get out of your TV and eyeball your exit for obscure obstacles just like you would when backing into a campground.

Sometimes it will be easier to back out from the pump than to make the 90 degree turn against the parking lane of a convenience store.

This
Downhill.Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 06:19 PM   #55

I would go with your instinct go to a truckstop then you know thereís no worries if you can pull in or out if that answers your question
kaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 06:21 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I use regular gas stations because I only use top tier gas. None of the big truck stop stations are top tier, so I don't use them. I've never had any problems maneuvering through a regular gas station.
10'-2"and 22.5' long-,,,,that's easy.
dedobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 06:24 PM   #57

When pulling in to the gas station always look out for the pumps on the end so you can do one wide turn to the outside pumps just take your time
Old 07-15-2021, 06:26 PM   #58

Those truck gas stations are diesel fuel and the nozzle wonít fit a standard truck gas spout. I use them with my diesel pusherÖit has a larger opening and can handle the larger flow of gas
Guitar64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 06:29 PM   #59

Gas

Most stations will take my 32 foot trailer with little problem. Use the outside lane if you can.
RussPastuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 06:30 PM   #60

Yeah that’s what I say

Tags
gas, tow