Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2021, 10:38 PM   #1

Getting gas with a TT in tow

Do you stop at a regular gas station or go to truck stops like Flying J or Pilot? Some stations like Wawa or Royal Farms have big/long enough islands to accommodate but not every gas station seems to be able to handle one.
ciditad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 10:51 PM   #2

I drive a diesel so I'm more limited on station choice but anytime I'm not at a larger station I try to find the easiest way out and usually take the outside lanes.

Just don't forget about tail swing in those tighter locations

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 10:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbflag21ds View Post
Just don't forget about tail swing in those tighter locations
Ugh that's why I'm asking.
ciditad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 11:49 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciditad View Post
Do you stop at a regular gas station or go to truck stops like Flying J or Pilot? Some stations like Wawa or Royal Farms have big/long enough islands to accommodate but not every gas station seems to be able to handle one.
I often stop at regular gas stations. My TT is 26ft long.
Just have use your side mirrors effectively.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 06:16 AM   #5

If you are just starting out RVing with a TT and taking a planned route, it might be a good idea to plan out your gas stops by using satellite view in Google maps. In any event, plan out your approach and exit before entering a smaller station.

Don't be embarrassed to have your partner get out of your TV and eyeball your exit for obscure obstacles just like you would when backing into a campground.

Sometimes it will be easier to back out from the pump than to make the 90 degree turn against the parking lane of a convenience store.
PhilFromMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 06:31 AM   #6

I have NEVER fueled at a truck stop, only "regular" gas stations. The trick is to look for fuel long before you're on empty and access your routes in -- and out! -- of the fuel islands. Only a very few seem impossible.

-- Chuck
Old 07-10-2021, 06:43 AM   #7
Site Team

Since my truck burns gas not diesel-
and it gets an amazing 8 mpg-
and has a measly 24 gal tank-
I do not research the pump spacing or turn around distance in
my gas stops.
I watch the miles to empty readout and when it gets down in the 60-80 mile range I pull into the first truck stop I find.
I have had to back up only a very few times.
Just remember to SWING WIDE and WATCH YOUR MIRRORS.
If I looked at google satellite view of every station before I went there I'd spend my entire morning on the web worrying about stuff that will usually be OK...
BTW I have a 29' TT not a 5er if that makes a difference.

Also I do occasionally let my wife watch the pump while I walk around to check out my exit strategy if it is not obvious from my view at the pump.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 07:06 AM   #8
Site Team

As said above by a few, With a little forethought most stations are maneuverable. I try to use the right most pump and I don't pull in close to the pumps. I stay about 5 or 6 feet away from the pumps, that way I don't have as much concern about tail swing as I would if I pulled close to the pumps. It also helps if you find that you need to back up to get out.
Old 07-10-2021, 07:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
If I looked at google satellite view of every station before I went there I'd spend my entire morning on the web worrying about stuff that will usually be OK...
Dan, If you are like me, you are probably on the internet anyhow.
PhilFromMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 07:23 AM   #10

Many solve this issue different ways. I had a Titan tank installed and now have 55 gallon tank. Good enough for around 500 miles towing.
Wifey does all the road planning. If we will be staying hooked up overnight, then she does the google earth street view thinggy to find an acceptable fueling station and we diesel up within 30 miles of the RV spot. We find that Flying J and Pilot or Loves to be a bit pricey.
CC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 07:28 AM   #11

I've noticed that sometimes truck stops don't always provide us gassers that extra room we would like to get while pulling a trailer here in the South East. There are exceptions, about 60% of the Chevron's have a pretty decent space.

Then again I try to plan on fueling up every 200 miles just to play safe, don't like venturing below a 1/4 tank when towing. I have looked into possible getting a DOT approved fuel cell but that can get very expensive. I will generally keep and extra 5 gallon fuel jug topped off with me.

There were a couple of times we got pretty low on fuel and had to use a smaller gas station that was on the corner of a shopping center, gota take your turns wide and make sure you can see quickly if you can make it back out. Try to always take an outer pump, don't care if I have to wait for a car, you really don't want to set yourself up for failure.

I've found it easier to always go for the pumps to the far right... It's easier to pull out "sometimes"...
2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn - 5.7 Hemi with 3.21 Gears
Max tow is 8500 LBS with 1788 Payload capability.
KJ6MTJ - John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 07:29 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
As said above by a few, With a little forethought most stations are maneuverable. I try to use the right most pump and I don't pull in close to the pumps. I stay about 5 or 6 feet away from the pumps, that way I don't have as much concern about tail swing as I would if I pulled close to the pumps. It also helps if you find that you need to back up to get out.

What he said and the bold is VERY important.
Even if I'm at an inside pump- if my exit requires me to turn sharply I park as far from the pump as possible- as far as the pump hose will reach.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 08:24 AM   #13

Coming out of a gas station in Vegas I was in far right hand lane. Started turning right to get out. We heard loud bang, we did get out looked around didn’t see anything. About two hours later stopped while doing my walk around I clipped the bumper on the concrete barrier. Most of the time gas was easy but there can be some tight spots.

Others have mentioned that pilot, loves and just about any other truck stop just of the highway are more expensive. However I find the $8 over charge worth it not to venture into town find a station maybe easier most likely not then venture back all while burning fuel and time.
Old 07-10-2021, 12:52 PM   #14

Flying J's have RV pumps off from Car Area

I found that most (if not all) Flying J's have a set of separate pumps for RVs that is in the area of the Car pumps. On a recent trip they had 2 lanes that had fuel and diesel. In either lane you could fill from either side using the "satellite" pumps. This island area also had the dump and water station. While the cost of the gas was up to 10cents more per gallon that other stations nearby, it was worth it for the ease of getting in/out safely.

I've had to back out of several pumps areas so I could easily turn and its not fun even with the wife directing traffic. I'm willing to pay the extra.

(while Pilot and Flying Js are same company, I've only seen this at the FJ's. I did get their app and looked up the stations. They do note RV pumps for the station if they are available. Hopefully these will be added to Pilot stations in the future if they don't already have them.)
F150 XLT 3.5L EB
Tim-Nancy-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 01:12 PM   #15
Guitar G

Good Sam Discount at Flying J/Pilot

We almost always stop at a Flying J or Pilot. While I'm driving, my wife will use her tablet to check satellite views of upcoming fuel stops to see how much room there is. Most of the Flying J/Pilots we stop at do not have the separate RV lanes -- even the ones that are called "RV friendly" in the Flying J app. It's also worth noting that you get a $.05 per gallon discount at Flying J/Pilot if you are a Good Sam Club member. You just swipe your card after your credit card.

As others have said, it's good to start looking relatively early. If we get to possible stop and don't like the set-up, we just keep going to the next one. And if you get into a tight spot, don't hesitate to get help from a traveling companion to get backed out or turned around. The only real embarrassiment is if you're too proud/stubborn to ask for help and you run into something. Otherwise, don't worry about what anyone thinks.
2019 Ford F-150 3.5L EcoBoost
Guitar G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 01:12 PM   #16

I use regular gas stations because I only use top tier gas. None of the big truck stop stations are top tier, so I don't use them. I've never had any problems maneuvering through a regular gas station.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 01:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
I have NEVER fueled at a truck stop, only "regular" gas stations. The trick is to look for fuel long before you're on empty and access your routes in -- and out! -- of the fuel islands. Only a very few seem impossible.

-- Chuck

Unless you are fueling in the diesel truck lanes, truck stops are usually WORSE because they are typically crowded. Also, look for stations with gas lanes parallel to the building instead of at right angles. These are usually much easier to navigate with a TT - in one end and out the other without having to turn on the way out and squeeze by vehicles parked in front of the building. As others have said, driving down the road to a "regular", less crowded station usually proves easier.
jjuscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 01:26 PM   #18

If I drive it in there. I am getting it out of there.

We have a 31.5 foot trailer. We go mostly to state parks that are remote. Invariably, I am stopping for gas in the boondocks. I know bad planning on my part. I do enjoy a challenge though.

The fun part is listening to the "War Department" mumble under her breath: "Jesus take the wheel"

U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 02:43 PM   #19

Looking for enough width to turn is important - so is vertical clearance. Don't forget to look up when choosing a pump. I usually gas up once a day thanks to the 48 gal. Transferflow tank in the Tundra, and look for top tier stations close to our route of travel. The Tacoma is used almost exclusively on rural roads where older stations may not have vertical clearance for larger trailers.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 03:27 PM   #20

If I see a Pilot or a Loves or any other truck stop then I know there is easy in/out access, otherwise we rely on our Rand McNally GPS to show us only RV friendly fuel stations,
I ALWAYS use an island on the outside so that the propane burner for the fridge is away from any fuel pumps, otherwise I turn the fridge off before fueling.
2015 RAM 2500 4X4, 6.4l hemi, 6sp auto, 3:73 diffs
Equalizer 10,000lb hitch with 1K bars
Swaggler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, tow