Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2018, 10:14 PM   #21

I got the GMRS license for $70. It takes literally like 15 minutes to do it and they email it to you. When you break down the cost of $70 over the ten year license it works out to a penny a day for 10 years to be legal. Didn't seem like to high an operating cost to me. I run at 5 watts and programmed my own channels so my radios are for my family and I dont get anyone else on them. Changed the Freq. But stayed within band and changed the ping codes so channels only open for my radios. Easy to do with free software online. And the range is better with the 5 watts than 2 or 0.5. I bought the cheap Chinese baofeng radios. Amazon had package of 6 with chargers and programming cable for $65 shipped. My kids are 8,7 and 3. If they break em it works out to like $12 to replace one. Way better pricing I feel than the Motorola Bubble packs
KEliasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:05 PM   #22

Free software?
lemieuxray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:13 PM   #23

Baofeng aren't the easiest to program but bearable if you use the CHIRP software https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

I've been a ham for 40 years so I don't worry about GMRS licenses though I'm not a fan of paying to use GMRS with small handheld radios.
TranceX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:23 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
Why? I write and review legislation on the Hill daily.
Hmmm...

joshuajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:46 PM   #25

47 CFR § 95.567 FRS transmit power.
Each FRS transmitter type must be designed such that the effective radiated power (ERP) on channels 8 through 14 does not exceed 0.5 Watts and the ERP on channels 1 through 7 and 15 through 22 does not exceed 2.0 Watts.
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:40 PM   #26

Unless you are using repeaters (and you won't be) don't even bother with a license.
Mark N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:28 AM   #27

I bet folks who get a GMRS license for a 5-8 watt handheld transceiver also do not pull the tags off of their pillows and mattresses.
TranceX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:23 AM   #28
Trailer Park Supervisor

The rules were changed by the FCC September last year. You can now use radios that transmit up to 2 Watts and still operate license free. That will be the majority of FRS/GMRS radios you can buy today, and many of the older ones. The older ones that can be higher power than that require a GMRS license. Technically, my Midland GXT 1000 is capable of 5 Watts and would require a license. But it also has ability to change trans power from Hi to Med to Low. The Medium power is only 2 W. Although the radio technically needs to be licensed, I don't think the FCC will be chasing me if I'm transmitting at 2W or less. Most places I turn my radio on to scan, you hear NOTHING. People generally don't use these things. They use cell phones. Try to get a millennial to use one of these, they'll laugh in your face.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:25 AM   #29
Trailer Park Supervisor

+1 for what Mark said. Unless you are using repeaters, or radios capable of using repeaters (which need to be licensed), or big antenna or something, you're probably not going to need a license.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:06 AM   #30
ENE

So what hand held radio that can cover long distance? Some of these hand held FMS radios only reach about a mile or so even when they advertise 35 mile range.
ENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:22 AM   #31

None. Not out of the box anyway.

Much range is limited by line of sight and minuscule power. Boat to boat will usually offer longer range. Downtown buildings and canyons will have much shorter ranges. Range is not directly related to power. One of our more knowledgeable members will chime in but I recall that twice the power does not double the range.

Also note that "blister pack" radios have poor receivers which also influence the range.

I've been on a couple of "car cruises" using these and just missing a traffic light caused the leaders to get out of range quickly.

Like in the olde CB days there are specialty antennas, etc. which can help somewhat.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:03 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
None. Not out of the box anyway.

Much range is limited by line of sight and minuscule power. Boat to boat will usually offer longer range. Downtown buildings and canyons will have much shorter ranges. Range is not directly related to power. One of our more knowledgeable members will chime in but I recall that twice the power does not double the range.

Also note that "blister pack" radios have poor receivers which also influence the range.

I've been on a couple of "car cruises" using these and just missing a traffic light caused the leaders to get out of range quickly.

Like in the olde CB days there are specialty antennas, etc. which can help somewhat.

-- Chuck
I don't remember where I read it, but I thought the FRS radios required a 'fixed' antenna. I.e directly attached to the radio and no provisions for an external one so that it couldn't be run through an amplifier. As such, I didn't think there were any external antennas commercially available for FRS.

Personally, for car-to-car, I miss running CB radios. Way better range than I've ever gotten out of a FRS/GPRS handheld. The handhelds are great for use around a campground, especially if you've got kids you can hand them to so they can keep in touch. But for open road, give me a CB any day.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:08 PM   #33
Trailer Park Supervisor

True what Kaadk said, and true what Chuck said. That 36 mile range advertisement is mountain top to mountain top. Any terrain obstructions between will seriously compromise range. 2 watts is better than .5 watts, but obstructions are still the limiting factor.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:56 PM   #34

Technician Class license can do lots of things with the little Baofeng handhelds as well as override any zoning or HOA antenna restrictions. Don't want an antenna for FRS radio.

There seem to be many FRS/GMRS radios designed for fixed base or vehicle use with separate antennas and 40 watts output power. Only glanced at them. I'm sure the power on FRS frequencies is restricted internally just as I'm sure there are well documented ways around the restrictions.

-- Chuck
Old 10-25-2018, 09:56 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by velosprout View Post
i did get the gmrs license.

What makes me feel old is that i still recall my memorized cb license number back from the days that a cb radio required licensing (a requirement eliminated by congress and president reagan in 1982). I still use cbs in both of my trucks.
kdt5305 🤣😂
tyler811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:16 AM   #36
ENE

I have a Midland 40 channel handheld CB radio model 75-785. Prices are good too.
ENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:33 PM   #37

I got a Midland 75-822 a year ago. Completely useless as a handheld. Next to useless powered by my vehicle with a tuned external antenna. Good price was no consolation.

-- Chuck
Old 10-25-2018, 12:38 PM   #38
Trailer Park Supervisor

Sorry about that, good buddy, c'mon!
Old 10-25-2018, 01:08 PM   #39

Probably not the fault of the radio. Not even my scanner picks up anything on the CB band.

-- Chuck
Old 10-25-2018, 01:21 PM   #40
Trailer Park Supervisor

You're in the cellular age, good buddy! Time to brush up on my Morse Code! lol